The Lowlander Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She tried to pick up after herself, truly, but it was difficult to balance being a trainer and a homemaker all at once. Jem was very patient with her, though. Sometimes she'd come home late to find her clothes neatly folded next to her trunk and dinner already made.

Hanna couldn't be happier.

She'd gotten used to the routine, the peace... so much so that the sound of the deep winding horn caught her off guard on the field that day.

She'd just been adjusting the posture of a little girl not more than 10 years old when the sound cut through the training fields, drawing a gasp from the young ones.

Kara was quicker than Hanna to react. She whistled sharply, gathering the recruits.

"All of you take the back route home. Hold hands -- understand? No one goes by the village square until the all-clear horn is blared. Understood?"

The other trainers were likewise dispersing their trainees just as Jem burst into the field with her army behind her in perfect formation. Hanna shared a look with Kara -- perhaps they should really work on their response time... it was nothing compared to Jem's.

A messenger streaked across the large field, heading straight for Jem.


"Dark Army approaching fast from the mountains," he yelled. "200 strong. Five minutes, Commander."

Jem's voice cut through the field. "Take your places!"

Within a minute, the village square was flooded with Goldhurst warriors in full armor. At the front was Jem with Finn at her side, both ready for battle with their hands poised on their sword handles.

Hanna spotted Bonnie in the distance, running for the cluster of trees around the entrance of the village square. Kara had already found her vantage spot to the right of the entrance.

Hanna held her breath and scaled the nearest tree, finding a spot just above the entrance. If the Dark Army's Leader rode in first, she'd have a great shot at them.

The ground shook under the force of the Dark Army's march and Hanna's grip faltered for a second. That definitely felt like more than 200 troops. She held her breath as the army descended the mountain, their copper-plated armor gleaming in the morning sunlight.

They were getting too close now.

Hanna's breath caught.

"Halt!"

Jem's voice carried across the entrance of the village. The Dark Army's Leader was sat atop a large black horse, their armor a blinding gold. Hanna watched, bow primed, as the Commander nudged their horse to a stop. The army followed suit.

"State your business."

The stern baritone of Jem's voice gave Hanna shivers.

"Peace, Commander."

The Leader of the Dark Army was distinctly female. She slid off her horse with regal grace, landing on her booted feet with ease.

"I've heard tales of a redheaded archer that saved your village -- are they true?"

Hanna frowned. That redheaded archer would be Kara. But why would the Leader of the Dark Army care about a bumbling young girl?

"They might be," Jem acceded.

"I would like to speak with her."

"Why?" This time, Finn stepped forward, hand on her sword.

"I would speak with her now or my army will find her and bring her to me. Your choice."

Finn took another step forward but Jem stopped her with only a slight tilt of her head.

"Don't threaten us -."

"Stop." A muffled shout emerged from Hanna's left and the leaves shifted as Kara dropped to the ground.

Kara slung her bow around her body, a signal to everyone that she didn't see the army as a threat. But Hanna stayed in position. There was too much at stake.

Kara walked towards the Leader and stopped in between the two armies.

"What is this?" The wind carried Kara's voice as she addressed the Leader.

The Leader slid her helmet from her head, revealing a striking woman with braided hair as long as Hanna's. Her skin was dark as night but her eyes were unmistakably wide.

"You ran from me."

Hanna frowned. Kara had never mentioned anything about her past with another army, another woman. She'd simply told the Coven that her parents had passed and she needed a place to live. Nothing about Kara even hinted that she'd been a skilled warrior in another life.

Kara stood straighter. "You let me go, Grace. Why are you causing trouble now?"

"I still hold your contract."

Kara's cheeks bloomed with a fierce blush.

Hanna knew little about contracts -- they were an archaic way of owning people. Few Highlanders practiced it anymore. But if Grace owned Kara's contract, it was binding for life.

"So you brought your army after me?"

Grace's chin tilted slightly. "You left me no choice. I've searched for you for years."

Finn stepped forward again and Jem let her take her place next to Kara.

The Leader's nostrils flared at Finn's protective stance.

"I don't know what you expect from me, Grace, but I won't go back to Draken with you."

"I won't let you take her." Finn's voice was uncompromising.

Grace's lips thinned as she placed the helmet back on her head with practiced precision.

"Then prepare for war!" she yelled and her army awoke with a roar.

*