All Comments on 'The Minister Ch. 01'

by TheStarryEyedDreamer

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Brilliant!

Please keep writing this story

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Technicality

If he is catholic he would be a priest, not a minister.

luedonluedonover 7 years ago
Progressing well

Ms Dreamer, I felt that your story has the potential to develop into a really nice romance. I hope it does. I liked the uncertainties you wrote into the emotions of your characters which I felt made them quite realistic.

One very small negative. The way you placed dialogue in the story seemed a little stilted to me. I'm not sure about other readers, but I find broken sentences come across as more natural. For example a sentence above on Pg2 is:

"Believe it or not I had a life before this," he said drily.

Occasionally breaking the sentence gives variety:

"Believe it or not," he said drily, I had a life before this."

Not every time, but occasionally. A small thing, but I hope it's helpful.

Lue

BeBopper99BeBopper99almost 3 years ago

3* You need to a write about stuff you know about or at least do your research. I wasn't sure if your "young" minister was Catholic or Protestant. Also, private schools have very strict uniform standards, very unlike a trashy restaurant with slutty waitresses dressed as schoolgirls. Also, you don't "major" in a subject in high school. That's only done in university. You need to work on your grammar and punctuation. Proofread!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Excited to read this! Thank you for sharing :)

texlootexloo7 months ago

All the things the other comments said are true. Also, she said she took 'maths'. In the USA we call it 'math', never 'maths'.

You said he became a priest in 4 years. Standard seminary training in most denominations, in the USA, including the Roman Catholic Church, leads to a Masters of Divinity. He would need an undergraduate first. If you decide to rework the story, the military does have education programs that may have lead to a degree, or a big leg up on some. I know some denominations that have traditionally required a full 4 year masters program are training and ordaining ministers, mostly with undergraduate degrees, in shorter 2-3 year certificate programs, because of the shortage of qualified ministers in some churches. I have a friend who went this route and just was ordained. I do not think the Catholics do this though, for training fully qualified and ordained priests, who can administer the sacrements.

If you are from the UK, I know you have some sort of extra year before starting a university major. Maybe that caused confusion. I absolutely don't understand the British system.

Still the story is well written and fun. I will keep reading. I see there are mire parts! I am glad the comments didn't discourage you. If you are in the UK, or Australia, or France, or wherever, such a story would work just as well in the setting of a city familiar to you.

I am Lutheran, not Catholic, but I have friends who are. We are all old. I also attended a 'Christian Academy'. Dress codes are strict. Skirt lengths, at least in the 70s and 80s when I was growing up, were measured if any doubt existed. Opening a few butt9ns extra while on the school grounds was likely to get you a talk with the principle (the head teacher in the UK).

If I ever write a story about beinf in school, I will set it in the Philadelphia area, in the suburbs, and in the 70s-80s. It is what I know, so I wouldn't need to guess. I love British school dramas, but I wouldn't try to write one.

Please keep writing. You are a good storyteller. I really do want to keep reading your stories!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous