The Most Valuable Gift

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What do you mean?"

Grace just grinned and hugged him. She couldn't explain it in this busy shopping center.

They passed the jewellery store where he bought her the earrings. As they gazed inside casually window shopping with no real intent something caught Ed's eye again and he pulled Grace inside. The same sales clerk was standing behind the counter as last time. He leaned over and said something to her quietly and she gave him a smile and nod.

"What are you up to Ed?" Grace asked him, raising an eyebrow.

It was Ed's turn to just grin and hug her. She caught on it was payback so she just returned his smirk. When the clerk placed the ring box on the counter the light caught the large round cut diamond in the center of a ring of smaller diamonds and Grace's face went still with shock.

Ed beamed a smile at the clerk. This was exactly the reaction he was hoping for. He looked at the price and choked a little but he still had the envelope of cash on him so it wouldn't be a problem.

"Ed..."

He looked at her. "Yes, Grace."

"What are you doing?" Her voice was cracking as her eyes couldn't leave the ring. She was trapped by the brilliance of the stones.

"I remember we talked about getting married and you told me flat out that you didn't believe in marriage-"

"I DON'T-" she interrupted.

"That doesn't mean you can't wear a pretty ring! All of the others have beautiful rings and I've seen you admiring them. I want you to have one. One as beautiful as you are to me. Please accept this." He lifted the ring from the box and took her shaking hand. He managed to hold her still enough to slide the ring onto her finger. The band was just a little loose but they could have it resized later. It wasn't so loose it would fall off.

Grace made a soft little sigh noise and Ed knew she was in love with the ring. It looked perfect on her lovely hand. Her eyes finally slipped away from the stones to see the price tag clipped to the box. She squeaked.

Her eyes shot to his. "ED! You can't seriously spend this much money on me-"

"Ring it up," Ed said to the clerk. "I'll be paying cash."

The woman looked at Ed in surprise and smiled. "Very good sir, then I can offer you a 10% cash discount."

Ed smiled gratefully. "Thank you!"

Grace was speechless and her mouth hung open.

The clerk returned promptly with the total and he counted out thirty-one one hundred dollar bills. The woman accepted the money and took them back to her cash station.

Ed reached over and lifted Grace's chin to close her mouth. "Maybe one day you'll change your mind about getting married. Maybe not. It doesn't change the fact that I want to be with you until we are both old and grey. I love you Grace. More than I knew was possible."

Grace leapt into his arms and kissed him fiercely. Her arms were wrapped around his neck as his arms were around her back holding her tightly against him.

The clerk was standing on the other side of the counter with tears in her eyes and his receipt in her hand.

"BBZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTT!!!"

Ed began to chuckle against Grace's lips and she snorted. He set her back on her feet and turned to the clerk.

"At least this time you got to the kiss before the buzzer," the woman grinned, handing him the receipt and a small silver paper folder. "This is the diamond appraisal for the ring. Keep it safe as you need it for insurance claims."

"Thank you!" Ed said accepting the folder. He tucked the receipt inside. It went into the pocket with his remaining cash.

"Good luck you two!" the woman said giving them both wide smiles.

Ed walked Grace out of the shop and guided her all the way back to the restaurant. She couldn't tear her eyes away from the ring and how it looked on her finger. They walked up to the hostess desk and handed in the buzzer. They were directed to the other side of the desk. Ed couldn't get over how busy the place was. It was a madhouse and he heard the hostess telling someone there were no tables available for the rest of the night.

"Are you sure? It's our anniversary and it would mean so much," said a very distinctive voice.

Ed spun around and a very beautiful dark skinned woman looked over at him. "Mishka?" he blurted. Tall and slim, she was wearing her gorgeous long straight ebony hair loose tonight. She was every bit as lovely as the first day he'd seen her. Her expressive brown eyes above high cheekbones and a strong, distinctive nose were currently showing her surprise at seeing him there. Tonight she was wearing a dark red lipstick on her full lips which made her white teeth gleam!

Then he saw Heather standing at her shoulder. "Heather!" Equally tall but much fairer in complexion she had blue eyes and long wavy white blond hair. Her smile showed perfect teeth that were no longer covered by braces. One change she'd claimed she was going to do had obviously not happened. Her beautiful large nose was still in place and considering Mishka's was similar in scope Ed understood why she'd finally come to accept it.

Grace heard the familiar names and finally lifted her head. She rushed around Ed's body and grabbed Heather into a hug then hugged Mishka tight as well. Heather was gushing about how incredible Grace looked. They noticed her slimmer outline.

"Your table is ready," the hostess said to Ed.

"Is it for two or could it fit four?" he asked.

"It's a large booth. It seats four," she replied, looking impatient.

Ed looked at Mishka. "Will you join us?" The woman seemed unsure but she finally nodded. The hostess grabbed two more menus and led them to the booth. Ed slid in one side and Grace slid in next to him. Mishka sat across from Ed and Heather got in across from Grace who was all grins.

"Is this your annual Christmas Eve movie day?" Heather asked.

Grace nodded, bursting with the need to show off the ring but holding back until the time was right.

Mishka looked at Ed curiously so he answered. "Grace and I see a matinee movie on Christmas Eve every year. What's this I hear about an anniversary for you two?" He grinned at her look of embarrassment. Heather was grinning mischievously.

"I must confess. I lied. I was just hoping they would take pity and find us a table." Mishka blushed and Heather held her hand under the table.

The waitress arrived and everyone ordered drinks. Ed was surprised that Grace stuck with water. He was sure she'd go for the margarita like Heather. Mishka didn't drink and Ed was driving so he stuck with the lemonade.

"OH MY GOD!!! LET ME SEE YOUR HAND!" Heather suddenly yelled pulling Grace's left across the table to stare at the lovely ring. Heather lifted her head and gaped at the two across from her. "You're engaged?!?"

"No! No, we're just in love and want to spend the rest of our lives together. I've told you how I feel about marriage. It's not for me." Grace said with a happy smile on her face. Heather saw that Ed was equally happy so she was glad he hadn't been hurt that Grace wasn't the marrying kind. She sighed as she looked at the ring then blushed as Mishka was looking at her strangely.

Mishka took Grace's hand and looked at the ring. She thought it was very pretty and Grace was obviously completely in love with it. She squirmed a little and looked at Ed. "You have very good taste in jewellery!"

Even Ed could tell Mishka was uncomfortable about something. "Thank you. I hope you don't mind me asking but should I not have asked you to join us tonight? You seem... unhappy about something."

Grace looked over at Ed in surprise. He'd picked up on something she'd missed entirely. But then all she'd been looking at was her ring. She studied Mishka's expression and there was nervousness there. "I didn't offend you by expressing my feelings about marriage did I?"

Mishka shook her head. "No. Everyone should feel comfortable about expressing their beliefs. Every relationship is different. Some are less conventional than others. Sometimes some traditional aspects are still... appreciated." She glanced nervously at Grace's ring then over at Heather whose eyes had returned to the diamonds.

"How about you Heather? What are your feelings about marriage?" Ed asked with an open smile, unaware of the tension across the table. Grace winced.

Heather glanced at Mishka and her gaze was trapped by the intense look in the dark beauty's brown eyes.

"I'm... I'm for marriage. Doesn't have to be the whole church thing but... I like... tradition."

Mishka smiled at Heather and Grace saw some tension leaving her body. The electricity flowing between the ladies across the table was almost tangible.

"That's how I feel as well. I wasn't sure how you felt about it though." Mishka said softly to Heather.

"Oh, I can see myself getting married one day," Heather replied dreamily.

"Do- do you think this summer would be too soon?" Mishka said and placed a small box on the table between them.

Heather's eyes went wide with surprise. She began to gasp.

"Breathe Heather and open the box." Grace said with a grin.

Heather had tears in her eyes so she wiped them with her napkin and picked up the box with trembling hands. She pushed it open and shrieked. "OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!"

Mishka was openly crying with joy and her smile was ear to ear. "Heather my love, will you marry me?"

"YES! YES! A MILLION TIMES YES!" Heather cried and pulled Mishka into a tight hug. She kissed her and rocked as they hugged again.

Ed and Grace were smiling and crying with big grins on their faces. The waitress came by and left the drinks. Grace indicated they needed more time and the woman slipped away.

Mishka lifted the ring from the box. The centre stone was a very large radiant cut diamond with two smaller radiant cuts on either side. Numerous smaller diamond surrounded the three stones and lined the white gold band. She slipped it on Heather's finger and the woman began to hyperventilate once more.

"Oh my god! Mishka! It's so beautiful! I love you so much!" Heather gushed once she got her breathing back under control. She looked into Mishka's eyes unable to believe how blessed she was to have met her. She swung her eyes over to Ed. "All of this became possible because you were kidnapped!"

Ed laughed at the sudden odd direction the conversation had just taken. "What?!?"

Heather was getting excited again and Mishka just watched her with love in her eyes. "It's true! If you hadn't been kidnapped Grace wouldn't have gone looking for you and she wouldn't have picked me up after work to help find you!"

"You were the one who insisted on trying Mishka's house first!" Grace pointed out with a grin.

Heather's eyes went dreamy as she recalled that first meeting.

The waitress arrived back and everyone had a favorite so they ordered those and Ed ordered the loaded nachos for the table.

"Ed, we couldn't finish our meals when we had the nachos before!" Grace laughed.

"But they're so good! And we have two more people to share them with!" Ed exclaimed.

"Speaking of sharing, how would you two feel about being the best man and the maid of honor at our wedding?" Mishka asked.

"Ooo! Nice segue!" Heather said to Mishka with a grin and gave her a high five.

Grace looked at Ed and they nodded. "We'd be honored! Just let us know where and when," Grace said.

"There won't be too many people at the wedding. None of my family will acknowledge I'm alive." Mishka said with a sad shrug.

"My mom won't be there. She's convinced Mishka is the devil and now that I've been poisoned I'm no better. She said she'd pray for me though!" Heather grinned.

Ed had a frown on his face. He didn't understand. "How can your families behave like this?"

Mishka glanced at Grace who was patting his arm.

"You're right, Ed. It's not ok, but I'll explain it later," she said to him.

Ed nodded but still looked a little upset.

"Well you'll have us and Rachel, Angie, Zoe, Stephanie and Carolyn. If you don't mind kids I'm sure Stephanie and Carolyn would bring their kids.

Ed brightened up thinking of a wedding with kids running back and forth. "Oh! There's also Victoria Rutledge. She's being released from prison on Christmas Day and will be joining us at Angie's."

Mishka looked at Ed. "I don't believe I've met Victoria... wait, isn't she the one who shot her husband?"

Ed's expression turned sad. "It's true. She shot him but only after a lot of abuse from him. He was a very bad man! I hope she doesn't become 'the woman who shot her husband'. I'm sure she's more than that."

"I'm sorry, Ed. You're absolutely right. I'll do my best to see her as you do." Mishka said contritely. He blushed and nodded with a small smile.

The nachos arrived and Ed's smile grew. Everyone dug in and happy sounds were heard on both sides of the table.

"I'm curious about something but you don't have to answer if it's too personal a question," Ed began.

Grace gave him a troubled look and Mishka and Heather shared a look. They'd received their fair share of rude questions regarding their relationship. They hadn't expected one from Ed though.

"Why this restaurant and why tonight?" Ed finished.

Mishka and Heather both giggled with relief. "This is where we went on our first official date," Heather answered getting a confirming nod from Mishka.

"Us too! Sort of," Grace said with a shy smile at Ed. He smiled back as he remembered that night too.

Mishka continued. "I've wanted to ask Heather for weeks but I was just too nervous. I wasn't sure how she would react to being asked to get married. Marriage is a hot button topic for gay couples. I desperately wanted to marry this beauty but I was afraid she'd be in the other camp. Dead set against marriage. I've been so busy at work I haven't been able to find time to bring Heather here. Christmas Eve seemed perfect but I forgot to make reservations and we got here late. I might have chickened out again but for Ed asking us to join you two and asking Heather point blank the question that's been haunting me for weeks. It was perfect. I admit to being a coward when it comes to doing or saying anything that might put our relationship at risk. You mean too much to me." Mishka looked apologetically at Heather who lifted her lover's hand to kiss her palm tenderly.

"Ed and I are guilty of keeping our true feelings hidden from each other for too long. If we've learned one thing it's to keep the channels of communication open. Be open and honest and don't keep secrets." Grace said holding Ed's hand.

They managed to finish off most of the nachos before their meals arrived and Grace looked at her plate with dismay. Then she turned and gave Ed an 'I told you so' look. He smiled sheepishly at her. They ate what they could. Grace saved space as she really wanted to try the cheesecake. Mishka and Heather followed her lead and the three boxed the rest of their meals and ordered some decadent desserts.

Ed wasn't a big fan of sweets so he just finished his burrito and sat back feeling pleasantly stuffed.

"Oh my god! This is good cheesecake!" Grace sighed. She turned a stern eye on Ed. "How could you have let me miss this on our previous visits!" Ed chuckled as did the ladies across from them who were also blissfully consuming their own desserts.

The waitress returned and they asked for separate bills, Mishka insisting on picking up the nachos.

Once they settled the bills they bundled themselves into their coats and prepared to head out into a winter storm that had arrived while they were eating.

"Holy fuck Ed! That coat makes you look totally badass!" Heather gushed as he modeled his new leather duster. He smiled modestly.

Mishka looked at the storm raging and turned back to him. "Do you have winter tires on your truck?"

"No, but I'll take it slow," he replied.

Everyone hugged and Grace and Ed congratulated Mishka and Heather once more. Their faces were glowing with their love.

They headed out first with Ed shielding Grace from the worst of the wind on the way back to his truck. He got her inside and climbed in his side. They waved at Mishka and Heather who drove past then got themselves underway.

"The heater still broken in this heap?" Grace asked as she shivered.

"Hey... yes. There's a blanket under the seat." Ed replied.

Grace pulled it out and draped it over her legs.

The wind was blowing hard and visibility wasn't good even with the wiper blades going full speed. Ed noticed the road was pretty slick so there may have been freezing rain earlier. He lost track of Mishka's taillights as they were moving more assuredly on the route with her winter tires. Ed kept his speed down and made no sudden moves.

As he crested a small rise he felt their wheels lose grip on the road. He was only going 20mph on the 30mph side road but the downgrade and the ice underneath the truck allowed them to pick up speed.

"Ed?"

"We're sliding. I have no traction at all. Hang on!" Ed called out.

The road ahead was clear of traffic and relatively flat. There was no real danger of hitting anything but they could slide off the road into the ditch. Luckily the ditches weren't that deep but they were currently filled with deep fluffy snow so if they went in there they weren't getting out.

"ED!" Grace screamed as the truck began to slide sideways towards the ditch.

He grabbed her hand as the back wheels caught some snow and spun them around in a graceful twirl.

With a mighty poof of snow the truck slipped off the road and plowed into a huge snowdrift. Ed looked over at Grace who seemed no worse for wear. The stop had been so cushioned by the snow it had almost been slow motion. He looked ahead and saw they were only two feet from hitting a utility pole. Beyond that he saw the bank he'd often use. They'd have a nice warm area to wait in when he called to be picked up. They couldn't stay in the truck as it was too cold. He got the hazards blinking.

"Come on. The truck is stuck and we'll have to call for a ride from the vestibule of the bank."

Grace's door was blocked by snow so she followed him out his and he picked her up off the seat and carried her down the road the three hundred feet to the parking lot of the bank. While she complained that she was capable of walking, she secretly enjoyed being in his strong arms.

Before they reached the entrance they heard the roaring sound of engine braking and looked back to the small hill. A semi pulling a tanker had come over the little hill at speed and the driver was desperately trying to slow down on the sheet of ice.

"Oh my god!" Grace breathed as she saw the truck begin to jackknife. It was still moving much too fast!

"Grace, we have to move! Grace!" Ed said as he pulled at her arm.

She was frozen, watching the big rig following the same path Ed's truck had taken. Suddenly she was lifted off her feet as Ed hoisted her over his shoulder and ran for the shelter of the back of the bank. She could still see Ed's truck, stuck in the snow as the semi bore down on it. The noise it made when the rig rolled right over it and crashed into the utility pole beyond it was deafening. Ed got them behind the shelter of the building so she missed the fireball when the pickup's ruptured gas tank was ignited by sparks from downed power lines.

Ed quickly unzipped his coat and pulled Grace inside against his chest as he wrapped it around her.

A second colossal thump went off and they were tossed off their feet and pummeled with debris. Ed took the brunt of it as he curled his large body protectively around Grace.

When they got their wits back they felt the heat of the inferno as an enormous fireball curled and twisted up into the sky. Grace was lying on Ed's chest toasty warm inside his jacket with his arms around her. She lifted her head clear to look around. This seemed like the safest place to stay for now. Luckily the snow seemed to be slowing too.

1...2021222324...27