The New Wolf Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Can't we put everything behind us? Isn't that why you came to me tonight?" He took a step forward and Clara moved back.

She watched as the concern on his face vanished. His brow creased in anger.

"You're my mate. Don't run from me."

"I'm not your mate," Clara said. "Don't worry. I won't have the same problem as you I mean every word I am about to say. I reject you. I want nothing to do with you. I will never touch you again. I will never look at you again. Above all I will never be your mate."

Lucas lunged at her but Clara was too quick. She took off running down that hall.

"Clara you don't mean that," Lucas yelled. "Come back here. Please!"

She knew he wasn't chasing her, but that didn't make her stop. She got to the stairs and raced down. Sure more than ever she had to get out of this house.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The smell of chlorine wasn't enough to drive David to find an empty bedroom. He was impressed by the indoor pool and the size of the basement. He wondered how long it took them to dig this place up. Right now the empty gym space was a little eerie, but David would tolerate it if it meant a place to lie down for a few hours. He went to one of the loungers and laid back. He shut his eyes, knowing sleep wouldn't come easily.

He was happy for James; his mate was a strong woman. The two of them were a great match. There was a hint of jealousy, but David acknowledged it and move on, happy for his former pack member and his ally. They were scheduled to stay until Sunday, but with the other Alpha preoccupied for the rest of the weekend David thought about driving back home as soon as he woke up. His pack was safe here and those who wanted to stay could, he didn't think he wanted another night though. Seeing new mates was always hard for him. He thought he'd enjoy a quiet night at home in his own bed.

Booming footsteps started echoing off the walls, David opened his eyes and sat up. He looked towards the entrance to the basement wondering who was going to come running in. He hoped it was someone from his pack and not another female looking for a one-night stand. David understood the cultural differences between packs, but he was always amazed at the promiscuity and public display of James'.

The echo quieted down and the footsteps grew closer. David was shocked when the long blond haired woman appeared in the doorway. She scanned the room then spotted him. She picked up her pace and ran towards him. David stood up as she approached. Her pale hair flowed behind her, making it look like a cape. When he saw her blue eyes earlier it made him approach her. She was one of the few people he'd met whose eyes were bluer than his own. As they came into view it was obvious they were wet with tears.

"Clara, what's wrong?"

She slowed down and then stopped in front of him. She bent over and started hyperventilating. David grabbed her shoulders and guided her to the bench. He took a seat next to her. She kept her head down and in between the heavy breaths was speaking words he couldn't make out.

"Slow down," he said. "Catch your breath then speak."

She took a gulp of air in and did a controlled exhale. After a few more times she cleared her throat and looked up at him. Her eyes locked on his. There were no tears anymore, only hard determination.

"Take me with you."

"You want to join my pack?" David tilted his head.

Clara nodded.

"I'm flattered," David said. "I don't know if you're aware what a big decision that would be. You would leave everything you know behind. Have you spoken to James about this?"

David knew she hadn't. This was a spur of the moment decision.

"How about you speak to him, think about it for a few weeks, then if you still want to we will welcome you with open arms."

"No," Clara said. "It has to be now."

"Something has upset you. Don't make life altering decisions without a clear mind."

"My mate has been sleeping with another woman for months."

The words had a sting to them David couldn't help but feel. The look on his face must have said enough because she continued.

"That is what was causing my chest pains. He knew we were mates and knew it was hurting me, but he didn't care. James knew too, in fact everyone seemed to know he was my mate but me."

"How?" David had never heard of a situation like this.

"When he first saw me, I'd only been changed for a day and I had drugs in my system. Not sure which of those is the reason. But then he came on so strong, too strong. I thought he was attacking me." She shook her head. "I didn't think he was, he actually was. I was screaming for help. The alpha had to tear him off of me. They decided it was best to keep it a secret from me, thought it would send me running."

David felt for the girl. He really did, but before he welcomed a new pack member he had to think of his current ones. James' pack seemed too hedonistic for his low key one. He shook his head.

"That is a terrible story. I am sorry that happened to you, but my pack lives a much smaller life than this. I don't think I can have a drug user move in."

"Drug addict? Me? I didn't take drugs, James had someone drug me the night before."

"Your Alpha slipped you drugs?"

"I found out about it tonight." Clara nodded. "Please. I have no friends here, no life, nobody I can trust. If you don't let me come, I will run away and turn myself into an outcast."

"Stay quiet about that." David knew if anyone heard that it would not be taken as an idle threat. James would rather lock a wolf up than let them choose to become an outcast.

"I will do whatever you ask. I have a master's degree in art restoration, I don't know if that's practical for a wolf pack but it counts for something, right? I can also run really, really fast. I'm learning how to fight too, I'm pretty terrible, but I'm trying. Please I promise I will do whatever I can to be the best addition. I can't stay here, it's too dangerous for me. Please."

Clara looked at him with pleading eyes. He thought about when he first spotted her this evening. She didn't look like she belonged. In fact, she had looked so uncomfortable that David had the urge to approach her. He didn't know much about her, but he learned long ago relying on instincts meant a lot. His gut was telling him to help her.

"Alright Clara," he said as he stood up. "Go to your room and pack lightly. Will you be alright alone or do you need me to come with you?"

She bit her lip and shook her head. David offered her a hand and pulled her up. They started walking towards the stairs.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to talk to an Alpha who is going to be incredibly angry. Not only is he with his new mate, but I'm going to tell him I'm stealing one of his members."

"Can he say no?" Clara's eyes were filled with worry.

"No. James has been known to bend the rules from time-to-time, but if you have another Alpha willing to take you in it is your choice. I should warn you though, Alphas don't normally permit a member to rejoin and leaving your mate is a heavy choice. If you think you're going to forgive him then you should stay."

"I will never forgive him." Clara's voice was firm.

David couldn't imagine what she was going through right now. Separated mates were almost unheard of, but based on what Clara had said it seemed like she was making the right choice.

They walked up the stairs in silence. When they arrived on the second floor David paused. Clara glanced down the hallway, her jitters obvious.

"I don't mind coming with you," he said. "We can do this together."

She shook her head rapidly.

"I need to do this by myself. I'm not a victim."

David didn't agree. He thought about following her anyway but wasn't sure the details of her internal struggle. He gave her the option and needed to respect her choice. He gave a slow nod and watched as she walked into the hall before continuing his climb.

He made it to the top of the stairs. He knocked on the closed door. As expected no answer came. He knocked again and then jiggled the handle, it was locked. Already aware of how difficult this was going to be David pounded on the door. Eventually he heard movement inside.

"Whatever this is about talk to Lucas," James said through the door. "We don't want to be disturbed the rest of the weekend."

Rather than responding David continued his pounding. After a few more seconds the door unlocked and yanked open. David smiled at a very angry looking James.

"This better be important," James said.

The stench of sex filled the air and David was happy to stay out of the Alpha's private rooms.

"I'm leaving, some of my pack is going to stay for the weekend. My Beta will be in charge."

"That's what you thought was important enough to tell me the night I meet my mate?"

"It's almost four in the morning, so technically the morning after you met your mate, but no. That is not why I bothered you. I wanted to let you know that I have extended an invitation to one of your pack members to join me and she has accepted."

The anger from James' face slid off as a sad frown grew.

"Suzy? I half expected something like this to happen. She's a fine wolf and when her mate arrives she will understand."

"Wow, I have no clue what that is about, but I was actually referring to Clara."

James' face went from sad to shocked back to angry in a second. He shook his head.

"No," James said. "Her mate is here. It's been a difficult time for her, but once everything is cleared up they will need each other."

"You're not the only one who's had a busy night. I'm not sure of all the details, but Clara rejected her mate tonight."

"She's too young. She doesn't know what she's saying."

"Well after she found him in bed with another woman and figured out that was what has been causing her health problems, forgiveness doesn't seem on her plate."

James sighed in disappointment.

"No. She will come around. Lucas is trying for her. He's had some slip ups, but it's been difficult for him too."

"Look I am not here to tell you how to run your pack. As you know it is Clara's choice if an open invitation is on the table. I've invited her and she has accepted. I am letting you know as a courtesy."

"Don't fool yourself. You're coming between mates. I now know how strong that bond can be."

"I am aware of the strength of the bond, but I also know when it is repeatedly abused it can break. So congratulations, give Marilyn my love, I'm taking Clara with me and I will see you at the Alpha meeting in the summer."

David turned on his heels and started to walk away.

"This isn't over. She's not going anywhere. It's a mistake."

"Why don't you drug her again? That will make her stay." David spun back around to see James, the man looked confused. "Clara also managed to find that out tonight. Again, it is not my place to tell you how to run your pack, but that's an odd way to keep your members happy and safe."

"I was keeping her safe," James yelled. "She was going to put herself in danger. I did what was best for her and for my pack."

"Save your speech." David held up his hand. "I don't care. I know you're a good alpha and you care about your members. I think you may have gotten a little misguided with this one. She is no longer your concern. Now go, take care of your mate."

James looked away from David.

"She is strong. I tried my best, but I let everything get out of hand. Lucas will be devastated."

"He should of thought of that before he kept sticking his dick in another woman." David had no remorse for such a man.

"I should say goodbye," James said.

"I think she'd prefer a silent farewell."

David knew James would never want to leave his mate so soon. The other Alpha nodded in agreement. He turned and left, deciding the whole exchange was easier than anticipated. A yawn escaped his mouth and he hoped Clara was ready so they could hit the road.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Everyone was still asleep. The hall was silent, but as soon as Clara approached her door she knew what would be on the other side. She debated on chasing after David and begging him to come with her or leaving everything she owned behind, but she wanted to show her new alpha she was strong. She knew this was coming as she swung open the door.

"Where have you been?" Lucas sat on her bed.

She didn't say anything as she went to her closet. All the clothes that she'd only moved in the past week hung on the racks. Since moving from New York she didn't have many possessions. It wouldn't take long to repack. She pulled out the bags at the bottom of her closet and started to fill them.

"I wanted to chase after you, but thought I would give you some time to cool down," Lucas said. "I meant everything I said in the woods tonight and I know you didn't mean what you said outside my apartment. You will love me, you need me."

Clara grabbed her clothes and started stuffing the bags, ignoring his plea. A hand gripped her arm, Clara stopped what she was doing and turned to look at him. He glared at her, his brow furrowed in anger.

"Stop this show," he said. "We both know you're not going anywhere."

Clara tried to yank her arm out of his grip but he squeezed tighter. She looked at his hazel eyes, they intensified as he pulled her close to him.

"You haven't given up on me yet. I can still feel it when we touch."

He dropped his head, trying to press his mouth to hers. Clara struggled to get away as he backed them against the wall.

"If you would have acted like a proper mate, none of this would have happened. I should have finished what I started the day I met you."

"Get off of me! You're crazy." Clara tried to push him away, but he was too big.

He ignored her struggles and put his free hand on her face, forcing her to tilt her head and expose her neck. She looked at him, his face began to distort, almost looking like he was about to shift.

"This will only hurt for a little bit, but don't worry after it's over we will be together. You won't be able to leave me."

The mark. Clara didn't know much about that, but it was coming. She was about to cry for help when a new voice filled the room.

"Hey asshole."

Lucas turned to look and a fist flew at his face. The impact was enough that he let go of Clara. She ran to the door as Lucas hit the ground. David stood over him. Clara wanted to warn David to run, she knew how strong Lucas was, but he stayed on the floor. David bent down and looked at Lucas, Clara forced herself not to run.

"He's not dead," David said. "I think I knocked him out cold."

David rose and shook his hand out.

"It's been a long time since I've hit someone. Is this your bag?" He picked up the one Clara had been loading. "Anything else you need?"

Clara shook her head, wanting to get out of here as fast as possible. David stepped towards her and offered his arm. She didn't realize how much she needed it, but her legs were shaking too hard to get anywhere.

"Maybe we should hurry," David said. "Before he wakes up."

She felt like she was floating as David led her to the stairs. David reached into his pocket and pulled out a cellphone.

"I keep forgetting there's no service up here," he said. "We have to make one pit stop first."

Instead of going down they went up a level. Clara didn't know how long Lucas would be out for and didn't like the idea of putting him between their exit. They stopped at the first apartment on the right. David knocked twice and someone was at the door in seconds.

"I'm leaving right now," David said. "I was going to tell you to stay and enjoy the rest of the weekend, but change of plans. You need to wake everyone up and get out of here as soon as possible. I will explain later."

The man nodded. David spun again and went back to the stairs. Clara expected to see Lucas blocking their way, but the space was empty. They climbed down and straight out the front door. David mentioned he drove, but Clara didn't see any cars.

"Let's keep the pace up."

David didn't quite run, but was walking as fast as one could without breaking into a jog. They started down the snowy hill, not bothering to walk over to the path. Clara was sure one misstep and they would both slide the rest of the way. She was starting to wonder if that would be quicker anyway. David was constantly checking behind them; Clara didn't want to ask what for. After what felt like an hour, but was minutes the ground started to flatten out. They doubled their pace and started running.

Clara spotted several vans up ahead. She dropped David's arm and ran in front of him, knowing she had to get far away from here before she felt safe.

"Get in the first one," David said.

She jogged around to the passenger's side door and opened it up. David jumped in the driver's seat. The engine turned over and David started backing up. A loud thud sounded as something smashed into the side of the van. Clara glanced out the window and saw the black wolf she used to love playing with snarl and throw himself against her door.

"Drive fast."

The wolf started shifting back to Lucas, but he wasn't quick enough. David slammed on the accelerator and the van took off. Clara closed her eyes, promising she wouldn't open them until there was no chance Lucas would be in the rearview mirror.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The sky was lightening by the second. Any moment and the sun would appear. Lucas went straight to his best fighter's doors and pounded on them. In a few moments they all appeared in the hall, still groggy but ready to listen.

"Clara has been kidnapped," Lucas said.

This brought all the men to attention.

"Do not let a single visitor leave. It was their alpha who took her. I need each of you to round them up. We will move them to cells and arrange a trade."

"Did someone tell James?"

"James is with his mate; I am in charge. Do not question my orders. Go."

The men broke off. Some went down to the second floor, others started entering the apartments housing the guests. Lucas kicked his own door open and walked inside. He went straight to his closet and pulled a chest out.

"Where did you go?" Roxy was sitting up in bed.

"I went to fix my mistake," Lucas said. "But I was interrupted."

Lucas entered the combination and removed the padlock, he lifted the lid and looked at his personal inventory of weapons. They were going to war. He strapped a knife to his ankle, and started to pull out other items.

"Sir, we have them in the cells, but you have to come quick." The soldier ran back into the hall as soon as he entered.

Lucas dropped everything and ran after him. He flew down the stairs all the way to the basement. Instead of turning and going to the gym he went straight, moving the fake wall out of place. He didn't bother putting it back in. He walked down the hidden hallway and into the room with the cells.

He expected to see thirty people crammed in, but instead they were empty. He looked at the four men standing there. He was about to scream at them, but they lunged for him. He didn't realize what was happening until it was too late. The shoved him in a cell and slammed the door, locking it behind them.

"What are you doing?" Lucas yelled. "I will kill every last one of you for this. I am your leader. This is treason!"

"Sorry, that's still me." James appeared out of the corner. He signaled to the other men. "Leave us alone."

"He took Clara. We have to go after him."

"Clara has made a decision to leave our pack. She is now a member of David Dresser's pack."

Lucas' could feel the rage bubbling off of him.

"She is mine," Lucas yelled. "The other Alpha stole from me and disrespected me. He must pay."

"You know, I've given you the benefit of the doubt this entire time, I didn't have a mate and didn't know what it was like. But even after a few short hours with mine I realize how weak and selfish you have been. "