The New Wolf Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thanks for that heart-warming speech," Clara said. "But I'm not much of a leader either way."

"That's not true."

"I like being in the background, not much for attention. Or participating. I'm a loner." Clara let out a laugh.

"Not anymore," David said. "Anyhow, the council also controls the money and distributes it to each pack. I don't know how they hell they figure it out. We just get an amount deposited into an account each year. If I wanted some more I could petition, but they've also given way more than I would spend. When our pack got permission to split I scouted the land and they brokered the deal. I think the council's official name for legal purposes is something like Dickey Land and Trust Incorporated."

"So rich old men?"

"Very," David said. "It seems like only council members know where the money comes from. But lots of rumors about investments and getting in on the ground floor. I mean they're super old."

"So in the spring you will build me a house, but where am I staying until then?"

David stopped walking. Clara glanced at the building that was only a few feet away from them now.

"I thought with me," he said.

"What happened to taking it slow?" Clara tilted her head.

David moved closer to her, he spun her around and wrapped his arms around her, holding her against his chest.

"Waking up with you next to me this morning was the best feeling. I'd never slept so well in my entire life. We can go as slow as you like, but I'm not interested in sleeping without you next to me."

A shiver went down Clara's back. She brought her hands up and gave him a squeeze. He was right, being held by him made for a nice sleep. She nodded her head in agreement and he kissed her cheek before grabbing her hand and walking towards the building.

"But you have to clean the place up," Clara said. "It's too messy."

"It adds character."

"Sure, the kind that says I'm a slob."

"Alright, alright, I'll pick up. You know all you have to do is say the word and I'll do anything."

Clara frowned. David seemed so genuine, but she didn't know how to handle this attention he was throwing her. The whole thing made her uncomfortable. They reached the doors of the building and Clara hesitated. David turned to her.

"You have nothing to worry about," he said. "They're going to love you."

"Like I said, I'm a bit of a loner. Groups make me... nervous."

"Think of it this way. You've be on your own since you were sixteen? Well the people in here are like long lost aunts, uncles, and cousins. They're so happy they found you. You're family."

Clara remembered a similar speech from James, but of course that did not pan out. She felt more alone around groups than she did when solitary. David looked at her with his carefree smile and Clara sighed. She turned her attention to the door and they walked inside.

This building reminded her of a summer camp cafeteria, but one that only New York socialites could afford. Giant wood tables covered the main area, with high ceilings and a huge fireplace. Christmas wreaths and garlands hung in the air. Clara almost forgot about the holiday, since her old pack clearly didn't celebrate the season.

She expected all the eyes to turn to her and David, but instead all of the people continued talking in their own groups. A man who looked about forty approached them. He held out his arms, Clara expected him to greet David but instead he wrapped her into a huge bear hug.

"Clara you have no idea how glad I am you decided to join us," the man said as he held her.

"Relax Rodger, don't break the poor girls back."

The man backed away and beamed at Clara. She lifted her hand and gave a small wave.

"Rodger is my beta as well as long-time friend."

Clara tried not to hide her cringe at the word beta.

"I noticed you at Bishop's place. I'm sorry we didn't get to meet there."

"I was a little preoccupied this weekend, sorry I didn't introduce myself."

"No need to apologize, why would such a gorgeous girl look twice at me? David I think you might have found someone who has prettier eyes than you!"

Clara glanced at David, not knowing how why this beta came to the conclusion she was with David.

"Magda is dying to meet you, I should go back in the kitchen and get her, but she's finishing up tonight's meal."

"Magda is the chef?"

"And Rodger's mate. They've been together for 22 years now," David answered. He put his hand on Clara's shoulder and her instincts told her to roll it off, but instead she stayed still not wanting anyone to notice.

"I thought only the single members and the alpha had to travel?"

"Each pack sets the rules differently," David said. "I don't require anyone to come, but I also don't limit anyone either."

"Magda spent the weekend cleaning out closets. I figured if I stuck around that's what I would've done too," Rodger said. "Well Clara it was a pleasure meeting you. I don't want to hog your time."

He gave a wink before wondering away.

"See, this isn't so bad?" David whispered in her ear.

Before she could respond a group of three women about her age walked over.

"Hi Clara, I'm Vanessa and this is Megan and Gail," she said. "We are thrilled you're here. David and you make such a cute couple. He's the best Alpha ever, really."

"We're not a couple," Clara blurted out.

The smile dropped on the girl's face.

"Clara and I are taking things slow," David said.

Vanessa laughed and her smile returned.

"When you have some free time we'd love to get to know you better. Do you play cards? Sometimes we have card tournaments in here. I know it sounds lame, but they get really intense. If you don't know how to play anyone of us can teach you."

"Really we are so happy you're here. It was like something from the pack was missing, then when word got around this morning the whole feeling changed. Like we were made whole again," Megan or Gail added.

"So happy," the third said.

Clara would've thought they were being sarcastic, but all three could barely hold in their happiness.

"I'm guessing David is taking you shopping, but if you don't go soon or ever need to borrow something please come by. We live in a green house about two miles away from you, so we're pretty close neighbors."

"Thanks." Clara felt her body temperature increase. This girl knew she was living with David before she did. Clara glanced over at him and his eyes were bright with joy.

"You're doing great," David whispered. "A natural at this."

Clara wanted to scream at him. She was starting to feel like a prize David had won rather than an individual. The three girls walked away. Clara turned to speak with David but they were interrupted again. This went on for the next thirty minutes. Each person who approached them gushed over Clara and made several references to her and David's relationship. She met so many people that by the time the last came over she felt dizzy with names.

"I need to speak to you in private," Clara said, not hiding the sharpness in here voice.

"Clara."

She turned to see a woman approaching her, again her arms were outstretched. She wrapped Clara in another forced hug. When she pulled away she held on to Clara's shoulders and looked her up and down, her eyes sparkled with wonderment. She started to well up with tears.

"You're an angel, a true gift from the moon goddess herself. I was so scared poor David would be alone forever, but then you dropped into his life and you couldn't be more perfect."

Clara couldn't pinpoint why, but she'd had enough. She brought her hands up and brushed the woman away.

"I did not drop into his life. Something terrible happened to me. In fact, terrible things seem to keep happening to me."

The woman's face dropped.

"Of course dear, we know how hard this must have been for you, we're focused on the silver lining here. We all love David so much and we've never seen him happy like this before. It's because of you and we are grateful. It wasn't just him helping you last night, you helped him too."

Clara's eyes lost focus on the woman in front of her. She saw everyone she'd just met sitting at one of the large tables. They all had their eyes glued to her. She brought her hand to her mouth, not sure why she'd yelled at this woman.

"I'm sorry, I need some air." Clara turned and ran outside, still feeling the eyes on her.

The sun had set, leaving the woods in pitch black. Clara paced on the front porch, she debated on going for a run or at least back to David's house but didn't know the way and would likely get lost. When the door behind her opened she didn't look, knowing who it was.

"So that didn't go as planned," David said. "Please blame me. I should have made them space it out or at least warned you."

"Warned me that everyone thinks I'm your new mate? Or that everyone knows that we slept together last night? I picked up on that a few times."

"I let it slip to Rodger and I plan on giving him hell for that," David said. "But they all thought I would be alone forever, hell so did I. You being here is exciting."

"I like to keep my private life private."

"Going forward I won't tell a soul any details," David said.

"They're all thanking me and looking at me like I'm some sort of savior. They don't know me! What if I'm crazy or super mean? What if I'm a blackmailing thief? There's no reason for them to thank me. I could be here to rob you all blind."

"Would you please stop pacing?"

"You don't even know me. All we are to each other is two strangers who had one night of crazy sex. That's it! What if you're some sort of weirdo who collects clowns or something?"

"Clowns?" David asked.

"A weird lady who lived in the apartment next to me... that's not the point. I mean, you're just happy that you met anybody. You're not happy that it's me."

Clara felt hands on her shoulders. She stopped pacing and allowed David to turn her around. When she did his mouth was on hers. She let out a moan as he lightly teased her lip, letting his tongue travel into her mouth. She pressed her body against his and fell deeper into their embrace. When he pulled away Clara felt fuzzy all over.

"It's you Clara, not anybody." He pressed his forehead to hers. "You've been alone so long you forgot what it's like to have someone care about you. There is no hidden agenda here."

"I still want to take it slow. People were talking in there like me and you got married this weekend."

David let out a laugh and lifted his head, he kept his arms around her.

"I think I owe that woman an apology."

"Magda? I wouldn't worry about it. She's been like a sister to me the moment I met her."

"Still, it wasn't a great first impression."

"It was wonderful. I am going to have a talk with Rodger about spreading the word on our sex life. Magda shouldn't have felt so open talking about it like that. You were right to speak up for yourself."

"I don't think I can go back inside," Clara said. "Can't we just eat at home?"

"You might be fast, but you can't run away from everything. Whether or not we work out this is your pack. I'm your alpha and these are your people. You're not alone, but you have to let people in."

Clara took one look at David's face. Even in the dark she knew it looked disappointed. She thought about everything he had done for her and didn't want to make things hard for him. Grabbing his hand, she walked to the door, hoping to get through dinner in one piece.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

David was pleased with Clara's turn around last night. When they'd gone back in the hall she was making a real effort to engage the other pack members. She made her concerns about moving fast clear so when they finished dinner he made no effort to join her in the bedroom. He thought she looked hurt, but would sleep on the couch until she said otherwise.

He decided not to wake her, thinking the girl needed as much sleep as possible after everything she'd been through. The couch wasn't comfortable and David was up early. He'd taken a shower and made some coffee. Then he sat and reviewed the giant list of what everyone wanted from town that day.

His phone rang and David picked it up without looking at the caller.

"Good morning," David said.

"So how was last night?" Rodger sounded like a sixteen-year-old girl.

"None of your business." David almost sang the response back.

"Come on! We want details, she seems like a strong woman. She'll make a great Luna. Did you mark her?"

"I'm starting to understand why she thinks I'm moving too fast. No more spreading around details about our personal life."

"You're kidding right? I only told Magda, all it took was one look at you to tell something happened. You had a perma-smile going on."

"Well for the record I slept on the couch."

"Ouch. Does this mean that... she's changed her mind? Wants her mate back?"

David rolled his eyes.

"Clara was human until a few months ago. She still has her human sensibilities and doesn't move at the speed of lightning like the rest of you. I'm respecting her wishes. Now is there another reason you called?"

"Since you're out for the day, wanted to make sure I have all your responsibilities covered. Meet with Mitch about our meat, deliver the schedule for the border patrols, talk with Vanessa about her garden, and check in on Peter. That's it?"

"Not all my days are super glamorous. Don't forget to bring Peter..."

"A bottle of whiskey, I know. We'll be fine. Have a good time," Rodger said. "Magda said not to forget her request."

"I'm sorting through them now."

"David, ignore my comment earlier. Clara is a good woman and you're a good man. She's crazy to pick anyone over you."

"Thanks. I've gotta get going." David hung up the phone.

He knew Rodger meant well, but the fact that Clara was not his mate and had a living mate worried him. Sure, the guy was a deranged lunatic, but until they exchanged marks Clara was free to change her mind. The door to the bedroom opened and David rose. Clara looked ready to go.

"I know you said we had to leave early. Let me brush my teeth and we can get out of here."

She went into the bathroom. Mate or not there was something about Clara that stirred something inside of David. She radiated life and being close to her gave David a peace he hadn't felt in his entire life. He would wait until she was ready, but there was no doubt in his mind that they belonged together.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

There was a garage downhill from David's home. Clara expected three of four vans, but was shocked to see at least five vans, a truck, and several cars in varying make and model.

"Why so many vehicles?" Clara asked when they climbed in a van.

"Sometimes people want to run into town for quick things, don't need the vans."

"Wait, you let people run into town?"

"I told you, each pack does things a lot differently," David said. "I don't have a problem. As long as they let me know and go in at least a set of two. Also, we have to limit our exposure with the no aging thing, so right now the only town you don't need explicit permission for is Spearfish. Then in about five years It'll switch to Rapid City, which is a little further out."

"Is that where we're going?"

"Yeah," David said. "There's some smaller towns in between, but we need one with a Target or a Wal-Mart. I've got to get you all set up."

Clara wasn't sure how she felt about him paying for everything. She was getting a regular paycheck up until a few weeks ago and brought her bank card, hoping to pay for her share.

"Dinner was fun last night," Clara said. "Magda is very sweet. I still feel bad for yelling at her like that."

"Water under the bridge," David said. "I could tell everyone liked you a lot."

"They were all so friendly. It was nothing like my welcome from James' lot."

"I'm glad you're settling in. Do me a favor." David stuck his hand in his pocket and handed a piece of paper to Clara. "Be in charge of this today."

Clara glanced at the long list. It varied from clothing to electronics to cleaning product and spices.

"Is this what everyone wanted you to bring back?"

"In the warm months the requests aren't so many, but since it's so snowy nobody has been to town or wants to go into town."

"I can understand that," Clara said. "In New York I loved the snow, but I never had to drive in it. I didn't even get my license until last year."

"What made you learn to drive?"

"I was finishing my masters, knew I wanted to leave the city. There are some amazing museums there, but the only way to get hired on is with experience. So I knew I had to start small. I sent out applications all over the country. My advisor warned me I'd need to drive in most places."

"Why did you choose Wyoming?"

"It was a museum affiliated with a University, which I really wanted, but truthfully they're only one of two places I received an offer. I don't interview well. Mix my lack of skills with a skype situation and I come off awkward."

"Don't put yourself down like that," David said.

Clara laughed.

"It's not a put down, it's a fact," she said. "I'm not embarrassed by it. People asking me questions like that makes me nervous. Tell me where you see yourself in five years? I know I should say working for your organization, but the problem is I didn't know where I saw myself and I hate to lie. I find interviews too phony."

"Well you must have charmed Wyoming."

"Yea, my coworkers are...were wonderful, I'm going to miss them."

"Were they sad to see you leave?"

"It happened so fast. I turned in a letter of resignation and didn't get to say goodbye. That stung a little, but after being attacked by the outcast I knew I couldn't go back to Laramie. I was in denial about becoming a wolf. I think if I would've embraced it things might be different now."

David nodded. Clara saw the worried look on his face and decided to continue.

"Like I wouldn't have been so touchy with Magda last night, or have to constantly ask you a billion questions. Maybe I'd be more comfortable too with...us. I missed waking up next to you this morning."

"I missed waking up next to you too." A coy smile spread across David's face.

Clara knew he wanted an invite into the bedroom, but she wasn't about to give it at nine am. She wanted to see how today went and work from there.