The Passing Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The design of it was elegant and yet massive, large double doors led into a wide rectangular room, complete with two floors of bookshelves. The second floor was removed almost entirely, leaving just a balcony that extended from the perimeter as well as one sole connecting overpass of sorts that cut through the center of the room. Just in front of me I could see as bookshelves that seemed at least 10 feet high stretched out in neat rows, 6 in total that reached all the way to the back walls of the room. Each wall both upstairs and down also held more bookshelves, though I could see that there were also thin tables spread about uniformly.

A bit surprisingly, I noticed this room had electricity flowing, with overhead lights that were slightly dimmed due to the sunlight that was coming in. I also saw walls directly under the two staircases held tables with computers on them. "Internet?" I questioned, wondering just how similar technology could be across dimensions.

"No connection, they're simply databases to search so you can then find a book you want. There is little but the needed technology here, couldn't get internet if we wanted." Each response seemed drier than the last, the look she gave me was composed but I could sense she thought I had to be an idiot.

"Fine. I can figure out the rest then. Can I at least get paper and something to write with and then I'll be out of your hair." I had no intention of keeping myself ignorant any longer and this was the first familiar feeling I'd had in a while.

"Someone will be here at all times, even when I'm not. Just find us." She provided me with what was asked and then turned away, leaving me with a final flash of her from behind before she left the library with an unusual haste.

----------

I gave one last glance around, noticing the library had about three other females that I could see, all of whom were openly staring at me. I sighed and shook my head, before settling before a computer. It reminded me of technology a few years before my own and was easy to acclimate myself to. The only sound now was the scribbling of my pencil and the quick typing of keys as I searched out various topics from history to the weres and then some on the basis of magic in this world.

Time flew as I saw how their sorting system worked and began to take down books, finally ending with a pile a foot high. I then began to devour them, page after page studied, notes taken and then placed aside as I tried to build an understanding of all of this.

The world was simply known as Terra, though some cultures took to it as mother with how close they were to it. It seemed this universe was a parallel to my own, with small differences. Two moons circled the planet and they had a wider knowledge of their own solar system. I could find no mention of other universes so I could only make assumptions that what had happened was a cosmic coincidence; in no way should there have been a chance for any two universes have such similar worlds pass within each other's plane, yet this cosmic improbability happened and here I was.

Then came the inhabitants, many different species I would have considered mythical were coexisting with humans though it seemed balance favored Weres, or humans who were partially a different species. Werewolves, I couldn't help snicker at the idea, were the largest group but other Weres existed, though not all held to the idea of packs or communions.

All beings were also able to harness magic, though the amount was limited to how much a body could process before burning itself out. Mana flowed through a person, it was infused into their blood and bones and was able to be focused to do magical feats. It was apparently possible to train oneself to harness more mana but use above ones limit put a strain on the body while going below the limit had no noticeable effect.

In this time other Weres had come and gone though I was unaware of the time until a clearing of the throat and then a hard tap on my shoulder startled me from my book. I turned to see Angela staring down at me, a brief look of anger crossing her face before it was replaced by fear when I met her gaze. She tried to hide it but I could feel it pour off her in waves as the smaller Were suddenly looked her size before me, rather than the imposing figure she tried for before.

She couldn't hold my gaze and her words were stammered as she started, "A-are you not going to eat or rest?" She asked, trying to sound stern and forceful even as her body betrayed some unfound fear.

I was suddenly confused and it took a moment for me to notice lights were on now that the sun had set. I shook my head and glanced around, seeing that it was far past sunset. "No. This was usual for me where I came from. I work until I no longer have to or I get bored." I motioned towards a growing pile of papers on the table, "I will be fine. There is more information I need about this world."

She said nothing but I could somehow sense her fear mixing with anger at being dismissed. Her ears, golden furred, flattened to her scalp and her hair flew out behind her as she turned on a heel and stormed off.

Left alone I returned to my studies, the one thing I knew I could lose myself in and feel comforted with.

----------

I wasn't sure how much time had passed, but finally I found myself tired enough to pass out. I had face planted on top of some papers and was snoozing away almost happily. Such things were not meant to last. I suddenly found myself on the floor, my seat having been kicked straight out from under me. "What the fuck?" I asked groggily as I rubbed my eyes with one hand and grimaced at the sudden pain from falling on my right hip.

"I didn't tell you to pass out in the library." Came a stern voice from behind me. I couldn't help but groan at that, having brought unwanted attention to myself.

"Doesn't mean you have a right to treat me like this. I've been doing what you asked and just fell asleep, get off my back!" I suddenly felt angry, days of being essentially a prisoner, even in as nice a place as this had finally bubbled to the surface as anger. I pushed myself up and turned to her, eyes piercing into her own as I squashed any further tirade that was aching to be released.

I could see others who were glancing away nervously, Angela in step right behind Tara was also looking at the floor. Only she help my gaze though even there I could sense something of tension. It was more unnerving to me, for some reason they all seemed to fear me, or were at least cautious of me, but to what end? In my world I was never imposing, merely analytical; this world added to that in someway I wasn't yet aware of.

She took a step back and motioned outside, "You're unaware of yourself is the problem. You've taken the time to learn of my world and yet I didn't think to make you learn of yourself." She sighed and began walking away, her sudden absence silently asking for everyone to follow.

She moved unnaturally fast and I found myself needing to break into a short jog to try and not lose her, all while the others followed behind me, the soft clicks of their shoes being all that even let me know everyone was following.

Eventually we arrived at the exit to the estate grounds, the large front doors already opened. She stood outside, heels discarded, and her eyes turned upward towards one of the moons. We all filed out though I noticed a bit of delay as the group behind me made sure to remove their own shoes before stepping down the front steps and onto the chilled grass.

From here I could see the estate was surrounded entirely by forest with just this one path beyond Tara leading out. There was a garden I could see, and a fountain, but it seemed as if this place was a sheltered sanctuary of sorts, all hidden under the shadow of that one large tree in the background, the same I'd seen on my world and which I assumed broke my fall on this. Even from this distance it was massive, the canopy scraping the sky and making me feel insignificant before it.

"I don't know what you are, but out here maybe we can learn something." Those words were what broke me from my reverie. Her voice piercing through the night as she came around to stand before me.

"You didn't even notice it, but you were in that library for two days now. You haven't eaten, slept, yet now you still seem fine. When you got angry you smelled... nice, powerful. I couldn't find anything these past days, so maybe I've been going about it wrong."

She looked like a goddess in the light of the moon, the blue moon that was in front tonight left her bathed in its hue that only accentuated her form. I just listened and stared dumbly, drinking in the sight before me; of this feline goddess clad in an airy dress that billowed around her form. The pattern of leaves on her dress seemed alive as it rippled from the slight breeze. To see how she handled herself betrayed what I expected, voluptuous body seeming to be no hindrance as she crouched just before me. I could see, even from our distance as she licked over her fangs before she was suddenly before me, our eyes meeting for just a second before I was thrown back, the palm of her hand having embedded itself into my stomach.

"What.. the hell?" I gasped out angrily from my position suddenly five feet from her. I was knocked to my ass and a cough into my hand showed blood. She didn't answer though, looking now as if she were on a hunt. Hand pressed to the grass as she waited for me, crouched and ready.

I wasn't a fool though, and I knew talking would be a waste of time. She was letting me recover and I'd take it, accepting the feeling of weakness as I slowly clambered back to my feet. I was ready though, or at least my body was. It felt like I was both inside and outside of myself in this moment.

She came again without warning, barely a rustle of the grass seen as she kicked off the ground and launched forward, her left palm outstretched again. Somehow I could see it this time though, and I just barely dug my heel in and spun, right hand pushing her just enough so she'd breeze by me though I ended up landing on my ass again. I was unhurt though, and for me that's what mattered.

The circle around us widened as our spectators took another step back, the other forgotten females leaving us a very wide berth. Tara had taken her miss in stride, her momentum quickly stopped and stance again lowered. She was provoking me, but I didn't know to what end.

Something had happened to me, I thought. I wasn't physical on my world, preferring my computer to any form of physical activity. I wasn't fat, nor did I not take care of myself, I simply found more interests elsewhere. Here I was though, feeling fine aside from the slight ache in my gut that should have knocked me out. I was confused but I could understand now, at least somewhat, of what she was attempting.

All these thoughts passed in a flash though, as I quickly pushed myself back up. Confidence swelled as I didn't feel I could win, but that I could at least not lose. I tried to understand myself as I let instinct take over.

She came at me again, as if toying with her prey, but this time I met her head on. We were physically similar but I had a weight advantage. My foot dug in and I accepted her strike, only as her palm hit me, my right arm grasped her forearm and I used my weight and her momentum to yank her past me and onto her back, my own pressed down above her just enough to try and keep her down.

"Stop! I know what you're trying to do." I gasped, my body feeling surprisingly energized, a warm feeling of excitement tingling along my spine as I half heartedly held her down. Not that it was needed, she merely waited there, hair fanned out around her as she turned her head slightly to gaze at me,

"I knew you were different." She laid back then as I released her, and glanced up at the sky. "Your body, who knows what else, were changed as you came over. You can't even see yourself now, but look up at them and see the reaction."

I lifted my head to glance at the women around us in turn, none of whom could look me in the eye for long before they'd glance away. "What do they see?" Was all I could ask her, even as I felt a little self conscience at the reaction I saw.

"Your eyes, they're alive. The blue ring is brighter, but it's the red, it's a deep crimson that that color doesn't properly explain. Between the lines I can see into infinity, and dammit, it's scary and..." She sighed and slowly sat up. "I will talk to them, explain what I can. For now though..." She shrugged and stood, leaving me to my thoughts. Everyone else followed quickly after her, though it wasn't till she was on top of the steps that she called to me, "Come in later. Ask someone to show you to my room." Then they were gone, like a pack of cats they disappeared into the estate and left me to my thoughts.

----------

The world from this side was much unlike anything I could have imagined. Where I came from, pollution clouded my sky and so seeing a night like this was something to enjoy. Even I knew what the universe should look like however, and this sky before me was not it. One moon hid behind the other, and yet both seemed even closer than the one I was used to. Their contrasting colors served to both unnerve me yet filled me with this odd feeling of awe.

I laid back, letting the vastness of the universe overtake me. That wasn't the Milky Way in the sky but some other galaxy. There wasn't a North Star to guide me or even a single moon to light the night. I was alone here, insignificant and foreign to the universe and it was up to me to not be swallowed by this abyss. I wouldn't forget my world but I would adapt to this new one.

I wasn't sure how much time had passed, but this new feeling of confidence and of a goal, however minor, spurred life back into me. Feeling better, I walked back into the estate and set out to see just where fate may guide me. It didn't take long to find another as I strolled through the house, no longer feeling quite the prisoner, and with a bit of trepidation from the other I was guided to Tara's room. A silent thanks was given and the other Were was soon gone, leaving me before a single doorway at the end of a long hall.

I had no time to think of how to knock, I waited for a moment, hand raised and ready before the door opened and she beckoned me in. I bowed before stepping past, quickly eyeing a mostly spartan room. It was large, perhaps the size of my apartment, but had not much to it; two doors, a few dressers, a large corner bed and then a desk. It all seemed nondescript and lacked any personality to show it was her room. I turned then to finally look at her, mouth hanging open in amazement that I somehow skipped her.

No one could ever say I wasn't a hot blooded male, irregardless of what happened before, my mind simply emptied at the woman still holding the door open. In this state she seemed less the imposing force I'd just sparred again and instead more of a strong, sensual women. She was confident and unconcerned, even as she stood before me in a floral pattern robe. It looked to be of silk, a deep black that was crisscrossed with branching vines, every so often a different flower in bloom appearing on it. It caressed her, flowing with the curves of her body before terminating at her wrists and ankles. Like a glove it hugged her, drawing my eyes towards where the fabric shifted with every breath she took, breasts hidden and yet the temptation of them seemed almost better than if they were bare.

Flesh again seen as the top was only slightly parted, showing the tiniest peek of cleavage just before the smooth expanse of her neck. She honestly took my breath away, every bit of her unintentionally drawing my gaze, now to her lips I looked; they were slightly pursed, the faintest hint of a smile coming as she so obviously enjoyed my attention. She had no need for makeup, I thought it might even spoil her with how beautiful she naturally was. Finally my eyes met hers, and for once I was the first to break the glance, suddenly turning and looking for a seat that was as far from her as possible.

"You don't notice it, you'd be unable to," she started, smiling as she moved to sit on the edge of her bed. "But you smell of power. You smell of human as well, and other things I haven't been able to place, but the power you radiate with your emotions, even I cannot bear it too long." She let out a long sigh, suddenly looking less like the queen I had imagined her as, ruler of this place, but more as a woman who had problems of her own like anyone else. She even held onto her tail, fingers coming through the fur there as she thought up what to say next.

"I wanted you here. A powerful chip to hold, but this place is more of a sanctuary than anything. I play the role of the one in charge, but we're all essential equals here. The felines and other groups are too small for proper packs, and we're also more prone to simply live on our own, this place is a natural haven for those similar to each other to simply be able to exist. As such, I cannot keep you here, it'd no longer be safe." She shook her head and finally glanced up at me.

"So tomorrow we leave. We go elsewhere and see what else may be gleaned from you. I trust you don't object?"

I could only blink a few times, again confused by how rapidly everything was leaving my control. "Why we? If you have no control over me then you have no bond to follow." I had no objection to leaving, but I was curious as to why she'd follow.

"I want to. All come here knowing that any may leave as they wish. Besides..." She trailed off, slowly getting to her feet. Each stepped perfectly before the other, her hips giving a small sway as she made the small journey towards where I sat. Her hands come to my shoulders, sharp nails digging in as she leaned just past me, till her lips hovered a feather's width away from my ear, "I like your scent. I like the shivers your power brings. It pulls at my feral side." She whispered, her breath tickling at me and my senses now filled with nothing but her.

I silently accepted, there was no reason not to.

12