The Phoenix Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Um... so how was therapy?" He finally spoke.

Erin raised an eyebrow at him. "Really? That's how you want to start this?"

Wyatt blushed visibly. "Oh uh, well this wasn't really planned so..."

Erin smiled. "My middle name is Ruth. I used to have a cat named Cyrus. My favorite color is blue."

"My favorite color is red. I've never had a pet. I don't have a middle name." Wyatt answered back.

"You don't have a middle name?"

"Yeah. I think I'm from another planet or something."

Erin laughed. Wyatt relaxed.

"I enlisted when I was 18."

"Wow what a coincidence! I started drinking when I was 18!"

Awkward silence.

"Don't worry Erin," Wyatt said comfortably, "I can joke about it."

"Maybe you can teach me to joke about it," Erin said earnestly.

"What does an alcoholic ghost drink?" Wyatt asked with a grin.

"What?"

"Boos."

Erin didn't want to laugh but she did. Out loud. "That was so bad."

"Yeah, I know. But I got you laughing. It's a start."

"Yeah," Erin said giggling. "It's a start.


--------------------------------------------------


Erin lost time with Wyatt. Instead of diving into deep issues, they laughed. They joked about music, tv, their families. Wyatt talked about his love for teaching. Erin liked this aspect about him especially.

"I've had a kid literally eat paste in class. No joke. I almost cried!"

Erin burst out. "Why'd you almost cry?"

"Cuz I had no clue what to do! I was half tempted to hold him upside down by his ankles until he puked. Thank God for non-toxic."

Gone was the fidgety guy from before. Wyatt was out-going and charming. He was charismatic and damn funny.

This could work, Erin thought.

Wyatt covered the tab and walked Erin back to her car.

"This was fun!" Wyatt said happily. He was walking close, his arm grazing hers with every step.

"Yeah. It was."

When they reached her car, she stood and looked up at him. "Thank you Wyatt," Erin said sincerely.

"And thank you Ms. Wright."

Wyatt's hands returned to his pockets. He was looking at her different. His bright eyes were hooded and trained on her.

Uh oh.

Erin swallowed. "Wyatt."

It was happening again. All the air between them had be vacuumed out. Wyatt just seemed to be getting closer and closer.

He's going to kiss me. Fuck. Do I want to?

She glanced at his flushed lips. Pink and moist. He slipped his bottom lip between his white teeth before letting it pop out again. Erin thought, for no particular reason, that it was probably the most erotic thing she'd ever seen.

Yes. I want to. Bad.

"Erin." Wyatt's voice was low and husky. She could practically feel his warmth through their clothes.

"Erin, look at me."

She stayed with her eyes downcast.

I can't...

Wyatt traced a finger along her jaw. He tilted her head up until their eyes met.

"Erin..."

He was a breath away. Erin's eyelids began to close. "Wyatt..."

"May I-"

"Yes!" She said quickly. She leaned forward and closed her eyes.

Yes. Yes, Wyatt.

Wyatt smiled. "May I see you again tomorrow?"

Erin's eyes popped open. "Oh! Uh yeah!" She sputtered out.

Fuck. Of course.

Erin shifted away. "Yeah. Cuz we're friends now."

She was aware that Wyatt's fingers still caressed her chin. They were warm. Tempting.

Stop. It's not like that.

He was still looking at her. He was still close.

"Same time? Same place?"

Erin nodded.

There was an intense silence between them, a lingering silence. Wyatt finally moved back. Erin felt the air rush in to fill the space.

"Bye Erin." Wyatt shoved his hands into his pockets, turned on his heels, and all but ran off.

Erin watched him walk to his car before getting in hers.

She placed her face into the palms of her hands.

"I'm so not trained for this."


--------------------------------------------------


"You fucking? You look like you've been fucking."

Casey lounged in the backseat of Wyatt's car, her booted-feet sticking out the window, an unlit cigarette leaning lazily in the side of her mouth.

"No. Do we really have to talk about this now?"

"Yes. You're keeping a secret from me. What's her name? How long have y'all been bumping uglies?"

"Case!"

"Wy!"

Wyatt sighed. "Erin. Her name is Erin. She's the aunt of one of my students. We aren't fucking. We've just been having lunch the past couple of days. I'm going to see her tonight at performance."

"Past couple of days? You mean every day this week?"

"Yeah." Wyatt smiled.

Every day that week, while the kids were at recess and music class, Wyatt and Erin sat in his classroom, ate homemade sandwiches, and talked. And laughed. And stared awkwardly at one another. It was the best part of each day.

"I mentioned you with the doc yesterday." Erin had said the day before. They were squatting awkwardly in tiny kid chairs and munching on ham and cheese hoagies.

"Did you now?" Wyatt grinned. "All bad, I suspect."

"You got it. I said Doc! There's this nosey nerdy teacher trying to get to know me. Trying to befriend me. Acting kind and funny and it's creepin' my shit out. What do I do?"

Wyatt chuckled. "And what did the good doctor advise?"

"That I kill you with kindness. That I invite you out for pie after the winter play this Saturday."

Wyatt looked at her, surprised. Wyatt had almost always initiated their get togethers. "Really?"

Erin nodded and looked away. "I mean only if you want to. Morgan and Dannie will be there too. To celebrate."

"Of course I want to!"

Wyatt fidgeted as he gathered the supplies from the car. It was 4. He and the other teachers had an hour to set up before the kids would arrive for one last quick rehearsal.

Erin's coming tonight.

He smiled at the thought and kept on smiling as he and Casey set up. He smiled as he greeted the children and their parents as they arrived. He smiled as he went over the program with the other teachers involved. He smiled as the children rehearsed the Christmas and Hanukkah songs. He smiled as he got the Kwanzaa costumes together and checked the lights.

Dannie Wright came bursting into the auditorium, squealing with delight!

"Mr. Evans! Mr. Evans! I'm ready! I'm ready!"

Wyatt turned around and smiled at her as she ran onto the stage. He mother was bustling behind her.

"Dannie! Stop running girl!" She called out.

Dannie stopped, but trotted in place impatiently. "Come on mommy! I need to get into costume!"

Wyatt walked over and patted Dannie on the head. "Dannie, if it's ok with your mom, you can follow Mrs. Clark over there and she can take you to the girl's dressing room and help you get ready."

Dannie jumped and ran to her mom. "Mommy! Can I have my costume please! I gotta goooooooooo."

Morgan handed her the dry cleaning bag. "Ok sweetie. I'll see you later. Break a leg!"

Dannie frowned. "Why would you want me to break my leg mommy?"

Wyatt chuckled. "It's just an expression Dannie. It means good luck."

"But," Dannie said, unconvinced, "why didn't she just say good luck?"

"I'll explain later sweetie," Morgan said, exasperated. "Just go get ready."

Dannie didn't have to be told again. She rushed backstage to find the female teacher and get ready.

Wyatt gave Morgan a sympathetic smile. "She been like this all day?"

"And all last night. She's so excited."

"Gotta love her enthusiasm."

Morgan scoffed. "Yeah I guess."

Wyatt looked past Morgan, looking to see if anyone had followed her in.

"She's not here yet." Morgan said.

"Huh?"

"Erin. She'll be here soon though."

Wyatt felt his face turning red. "Um, I don't-"

Morgan held up a hand. "It's ok. I know about you and my sister."

"You do? She told you about me?" Wyatt said, a little too happily.

"Not in too much detail. Just that you two were talking."

"Oh."

Just talking? Just talking? Crap.

Wyatt gnawed his bottom lip to stop the disappointment from showing on his face.

"I hope it's ok. I mean, I won't let it interfere with my teaching or how I treat Dannie or anything."

"Naw," Morgan said and slapped his arm playfully. "I'm glad for it. You seem like a nice guy and my sister has only ever dealt with bad guys."

Wyatt thanked her and excused himself. He left the auditorium and walked straight into the brisk night air. He frowned up at the stars. He could feel the Thirst creeping in the back of his throat.

I should have known better. The veteran and the alchie? Ridiculous.

He pressed the balls of his palms into his eyes. He could feel an ache awakening in his skull.

Well, if I'm going to be seen as some dumb drunk no matter what, why shouldn't I indulge? It's not like it matters anyway.

"Stop it." Wyatt growled aloud.

This isn't you. It's the Thirst.

Wyatt ground his teeth. He wanted a drink. He wanted to drink until he wasn't disappointed anymore.

"Wyatt?" Erin's voice broke through the noise in his head.

Wyatt opened his eyes. She was standing a few feet from him, staring at him with concern. She looked...different. Every time Wyatt had seen her, Erin's hair had always been tied back severely in a bun. She wore dark colors and no makeup. She was always in big coats, jeans, and boots. Erin stood before him now, her curly hair free and cascading down to her shoulders. She wore a knit cap and had curly black hair for bangs. She wore a red knit dress that hugged her, exposing more curves that Wyatt hadn't known existed before. She had on black tights and black knee-high boots, these ones with heels to them, making her look taller. Her full lips were stained with red lipstick and her round eyes were accented with dark eyeliner and mascara. Even the little things like the gold earrings and necklace, the dark blue pea coat, the white scarf, the peach-colored cotton gloves, added to a new Erin. Wyatt stared at her openly. His eyes took her all in, landing finally on her lips again, which were moving. He blinked when he realized she was talking to him.

"I'm sorry, what?" he asked.

"I asked if you should be inside, getting ready."

"Oh!" Wyatt ran a hand through the back of his hair. "Yeah. I should. I was just getting some air."

Erin walked closer to him. He caught a whiff of her.

Vanilla. She smells like vanilla. I wonder if she tastes as sweet...

"Are you ok?" She asked, her brows furrowed together.

"Yea! I'm fine. Don't worry about me." Wyatt said with an awkward laugh.

Erin eyed him skeptically. "Because you know, I'm the one to tell if you're not ok."

Wyatt nodded. "Yeah, I know."

Because we talk. That's all we are. People who talk.

"You look all nice and cleaned up," Erin said with a grin, "a nice sweater, dress shirt, a tie! And no sneakers tonight. I'm impressed."

Wyatt's cheeks hued. "Thanks." He looked at her seriously then. "You look extraordinary."

There was no laughter in his voice, no jokes.

The weight of his gaze made Erin shift her feet.

"Thank you." She said softly.

Wyatt saw that he was making her nervous.

Snap out of it dude!

He shook his head and brought back his smile. He jutted his elbow out.

"Shall I escort you in, milady?" He asked.

Erin grinned and curtsied. She encircled her arm around the crook of his and the pair walked back into the elementary school.


--------------------------------------------------


"Don't do it Erin! Control yourself!" Wyatt cried out.

"I can't help it Wyatt! It's calling my name!" Erin said dramatically.

"But you promised Dannie! You don't want to disappoint an angel. Take a note from Supernatural."

"That's a TV show. This is real life, and in real life, I want to eat this last slice."

Erin and Wyatt were walking towards their cars, joking in the chilly December night air. The pair had gone out with Morgan and Dannie to Village Inn after her performance. The adults had showered her with adulation and praise, which the 9 year old drank up. It was getting late and Morgan had dragged Dannie out by her little white wings for bed. Erin had opted to stay and have coffee with Wyatt.

"I won't wait up." Morgan had teased.

Erin blushed at the thought now.

We haven't even kissed. We're just friends I think. I don't even know him that well.

"Erin?"

She turned around and looked at him. "Yeah?"

"Thanks for inviting me out tonight. I had fun."

"Me too."

The silence between them was back.

No no no no no!

Erin acted suddenly, grabbing Wyatt by the shoulders.

"Wyatt, I don't understand this."

Wyatt frowned. "What?"

"Us. Are we friends, sponsors, companions, what?"

"Erin-"

"I mean I know we said friends, but there are these times where-"

"Erin-"

"And I've already told you things, intimate things, things I don't tell friends-"

"Erin!"

"What?!" She cried dramatically.

"Will you go on a date with me? A normal, person to person, date?"

Erin stared up at him, shocked silent.

A date? That means that he... he wants... with me?

"Really?" She asked, disbelieving her ears.

Wyatt nodded. "Feel free to say no. It'll be a crushing blow, but I'll accept it." He put his hand over his heart and feigned fainting.
Erin smiled.

"Yes. I'd love to."

They kept walking again, the silence between them heavy but comfortable.

This could work. Erin thought to herself as they walked.

This really could work.

12