All Comments on 'The Right Editor'

by jehoram

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
estragonestragonalmost 12 years ago
A Good Depiction of a Good Working Relationship

but the one thing left out is how a writer is to find the paragon whom you describe. Absent a lucky conjunction (whether of astral or earthly bodies), does one advertise?

I did advertise, twice, each time when I was trying to write about things I knew nothing about and was afraid to try to fudge, as too many people would have personal knowledge, and chastise me for my obvious ignorance. Luckily, I got two very good technical advisers in each case. The editor you describe, though, is in a different category.

Incidentally, I only copy edit, and avoid exceeding my remit except to avert a trainwreck. So far, so good.

Myhands316Myhands316almost 12 years ago
Know what type of editor you need

Some people get confused when it comes to editing. I usually have three.

the first is to find all my basic miss-spellings and bad word usage.

the second is to look over overall content and flow.

and third is for after the story has set for a bit, to go ever everything again with clean eyes.

The third has to have the hardest job. They not only line edit, but form and content too.

I guess my point is, just make sure you have the correct type of editor, and one willing to tell you that the story sucks, if it sucks. That way we get better stories posted and the writers learn to write better.

Myhands316

AthaliaAthaliaalmost 12 years ago
Paragon? Moi?

I don't consider myself a paragon of any type, just somebody who can act as a reality check. And Jehoram's point (I think) is that any editor can be that kind of reality check, as long as he or she is coming from a different place than the author is, and lets that perspective help frame their critique. That's really all I do that Spell-check can't do.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userjehoram@jehoram
424 Followers
Writer, part time nudist, full time aesthete. I usually don't take PMs, but try me anyway. You might get lucky.

story TAGS