The Saga Continues Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Not too much, sir." said Cindy. "Then-Captain Griswold was cracking down, at least in Town." I indicated for Theo to continue.

"Six years after Tammy disappeared, and six years ago from now," Theo said, "some college students were at the lake. In a clearing in one of the nearby pine thickets, they found some bones. They were human. A necklace was also found, which had been described to Police as being Tammy Cochran's favorite piece of jewelry when she disappeared. And they also found some very small bones... Tammy's unborn baby."

"This was after the merger, and about a year before you arrived, Commander." Cindy said. "Go ahead, Theo."

"Well, the back of the skull had indications of blunt force trauma." said Theo. "Thin cracks consistent with a blow to the head from behind. So DNA testing was done, and the body was identified as Tammy Cochran. The baby bones showed that Tommy McGill was very likely the daddy, but the match wasn't definitive. The lab said the material they were able to get was pretty degraded, and they got some markers that matched Tommy, but not enough to have total certainty."

"I'm surprised they got anything at all." I said. "Six years, assuming burial on site of the murder at the time of it, is a long time. So, who were the Detectives assigned to the case?"

Theo flashed his movie-star-handsome grin and said "Detectives Perlman... and Ross, sir."

"And it wasn't solved within two days?" I asked, grinning also.

"You weren't here yet, sir." said Cindy.

"Butter me up, butter me up." I replied. "Okay, then, Captain, what is your recollection of this?"

"Do you have our case notes, Theo?" Cindy wisely asked. Theo passed over the copies of them that he had, and Cindy examined them for a few minutes, then said "Okay, I think I remember... Tanya had the lead on it. We talked to Tommy McGill first. He was 24, and working in Hillside. He came to TCPD Headquarters, and cooperated with us, at first."

"At first?" I blurted out.

"Yes sir." said Cindy. "We had about fifteen minutes of conversation with him. The transcripts are in the file folder here. We began asking about Tammy disappearing, and he said he didn't know what happened, that he was supposed to meet her at the lake around dusk, and they were going to elope. She never showed up, and he never saw her nor heard from her again. He said he went to her parents, asking about her, and they didn't know where she was, either."

"The SBI of 12 years ago was investigating, because it was on the County Line, and because the Town and County Police Forces were not working together very well. They turned it over to the FBI after 72 hours, and the FBI didn't do a damn thing." Cindy said. "So, we got that much out of Tommy six years ago. Then his mother showed up. And she demanded we not speak with Tommy without a lawyer present. Tanya told Judge McGill that Tommy was an adult and could make his own choices, but he minded his mama and asked for a lawyer."

"After that, it all went to shit." Cindy continued. "J.G. McGill showed up some minutes later, and began yelling and screaming that we were not to talk to his son again, that McGill would have us fired, blah blah blah. Captain Malone came in and stood up to McGill, but Tommy left with his parents. We did get a warrant and brought him in again, but his lawyer, an expensive one from... whoa... from Gresham & Mason, P.C... had him invoke, and that was all we ever got from Tommy. His father and mother also invoked when we attempted to interrogate them."

"Funny how things pop up in cold cases that you could not have known at the time." I said. "Like who Gresham & Mason really was."

"Yes sir." said Cindy. "Anyway, Tanya and I interviewed a lot of people. The gist was that they all thought Tommy and Tammy really loved each other and wanted to get married. But they wouldn't say much, because Tommy's father was still pretty powerful. And some people said Tammy Cochran was a conniving golddigger, and was trying to get Tommy to marry her so she'd have access to his, and his father's, money."

"Any prevailing theories at the time?" I asked.

"As you know, sir, I would never form a theory without sufficient data," Cindy said, making my eyes roll, which made Theo laugh, "but I had the idea Tommy killed Tammy to get out of having to marry her or pay child support. I'll let Tanya tell Theo her theory when he interviews her..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Daddy!"

That beautiful sound came from my daughter Carole as my mother brought her into my office. Carole ran around my desk and I picked her up and gave her a big hug.

"You're wearing your No. 10 jersey?" I asked, seeing it on her.

"Yes, Daddy." said Carole. "Grandma said Jamaal would be wearing his, too!"

"I hope so." I said.

A few minutes later, I got the call from the Duty Desk that Jamaal Washington was in the front lobby to see his cousin Theo. As Theo went to collect Jamaal, I brought Carole and my mom into MCD. Joanne Warner took Carole in her arms and gave my daughter a big hug, which Carole returned.

Jamaal was 6'3", almost as tall as me, and he was indeed wearing his No. 10 Wildcats jersey. He gave me a 'thumb' handshake and man-hug with the other arm, saying "All right, Iron Crowbar."

"Go Wildcats!" I replied. "Theo, introduce your cousin to my Detectives." Theo did so, adding the Chief and Captain Teresa Croyle when they walked in.

Then Jamaal said "Who is this future Wildcat?" to Carole, who was beaming up at him.

"Your No. 1 fan." I said. "My daughter Carole."

"Hey Carole." said Jamaal. He and Carole high-fived.

"Hey Mr. Jamaal!" said Carole. "I watched you play and score touch... downs." I told Jamaal we'd gone to the Eastern State game.

"Oh yeah, I saw you at the Cat Walk." said Jamaal, remembering. "Did you have fun?"

"Yes!" said Carole. "And the Wild-cats won, too!"

"Yes we did." said Jamaal. "Are we gonna beat the Bulldogs next Saturday?"

"Yeah!" Carole all but screamed out. "Wild-cats are going to WIN!" Some of us applauded. Cindy did not quite hide a smirk, which earned her a 'glance' from Carole's dad.

Photos were taken by and with many Officers that came into MCD to meet Jamaal, though most were Bulldogs fans. Jamaal posed with me and Carole, and I took one of him and Carole. Then I excused Theo to take his cousin to an early lunch, and to take as long as they needed.

After they left, and after my mom collected Carole and left, Joanne said "That is one happy Wildcat girl!"

"I'll never get her converted to Bulldog Blue now." said Cindy, who had remained rather quiet during Jamaal's visit.

"No, no you won't." I said. "The redoubtable Bowser will never allow that, not to mention the Wildcat girl's father."

"Too bad we're going to have to break Carole's little heart next Saturday." said Cindy.

"Keep talkin'... just keep talkin'..." I replied.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

3:00pm, Friday, October 20th. I was using my laptop computer that had Myron and Mary's Tor-Browser-enhancing program as well as the TCPD's internet line with the best security possible. I was doing all this just to look at Google Maps.

Yep, Google Maps. I had a feeling that I did not want it to be known that I was looking over the area where the nuclear power plant was, and where I'd shot down the helicopters that had been pursuing Quint Danielson. The Power Plant was marked on the map, but was blurred out so that detailed features could not be discerned. Then I moved the map west, towards the State Line. All seemed good, until I crossed west of the river.

The ground there was farmland, but the coloration wasn't the same as the other side, as if the photos were a patchwork quilt. Looking more closely, I could see that the shadows were in a different direction, showing that the mapping was not done at the same time.

Well, I thought to myself, that's not end-of-the-world unusual. I saw no buildings on the west side of the river--

*CHIRP!* *CHIRP!* *CHIRP!* *CHIRP!*

What the hell? I thought. Then I realized that it was my computer. A warning message flashed, saying that there was an attempt to hack my computer!

I immediately disconnected the cable to the computer. Then I called Myron. A moment later he came in with his diagnostic tools iPad.

"Yes sir," Myron said, "someone was trying to access your computer to see who you were. The software blocked it, and the I.P. address they got is a bounce-off from Germany. But they got in pretty far... a lot farther than I'd expect."

"Who is this 'they', ov vich you speek?" I asked.

"Not sure, sir." said Myron. "They disguised their routing, also, but from the looks of it... I'd say it's the Federal Government. If I may ask sir, what were you looking at?"

"Google Maps." I said. "Just Google Maps, of the area where I shot down those bogey choppers. Think they were wondering why I was looking in the area of the nuclear power plant?"

"I don't know, sir." said Myron. "Is that what you were looking at when the hack was attempted?"

"No." I said. "I was looking west of there, at the State Line. By the way, the coloration of the maps on the other side of the river was different."

"Not blurred out, sir?" asked Myron.

"No, just like it was taken at a different time of day." I replied.

"You know, sir," said Myron, "they don't even totally block out Area 51. But in some places, they superimpose images from other areas, so that you have no idea what's really there. Several places in Europe; a few here in America, like that Federal facility you blew to smithereens."

"Oh really." I said. "Hmmm, that's interesting. So, Myron, don't you try to look in that area... just in case they're really trying to track your computer movements."

"And they really are, sir." Myron said. "Chief Griswold said something about it not being paranoia if they really were out to get me. And after what happened with my dad... they're really hating both of us right now..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 4:30pm, my office door opened and in drove Tanya Perlman in her wheelchair. She was followed by Cindy Ross and Theo Washington.

"Hi Don!" Tanya said, her voice perky and her cheeks rosy. "Mind if we interrupt your busy day?"

"Please do." I said. "What's this about?"

"Theo wanted to ask me some questions about that Tammy Cochran cold case." said Tanya. "So I dropped by to say hello."

"Sure." I said. "Everyone, sit down." Theo sat down in a hot chair next to Tanya as Cindy sat behind them on the sofa.

"I looked over the SBI case files of that case before coming over." said Tanya. "I know more now than I did then, so I'm seeing some new things."

"Cold cases can do that to you." I said. "So, first things first, what did you do at the time the bones were found?"

"Cindy told you about all the interviews, so I don't have much to add to that." Tanya said. "What I do remember was how big a jerk Tommy McGill's daddy was. Threw his weight around like he was a big shot around here."

"At the time, he was." said Cindy.

"You'd have ripped him a new one, Don." said Tanya, seeming to relish the thought of that happening. "Anyway, he threw up every roadblock to our investigation that he could. That's one reason our bosses then let the SBI come in. They didn't brook too much of his shit."

"Or didn't need to." I replied. "I was looking at some of these notes, also. The SBI didn't do a lot, except call the FBI, who didn't show much interest in the case at all. J.G. McGill might've been influential with the SBI of that time."

"Could be." said Tanya. "Anyway, Cindy and I were working together on the case, and we didn't exactly agree on our theories of the case."

"Which were?" I asked.

"I thought it was the son, Tommy." said Cindy.

"And I couldn't rule out the father, J.G." said Tanya. "Both had possible motives and means. But Tommy had alibis up to the time he was supposed to meet Tammy that evening. He was with others the whole day. J.G. never would cooperate and give us any kind of timeframe of his whereabouts. Some of his farm workers said he was on the farm at various times, but nothing concrete, and they could've been lying for him."

I nodded. "Glad I wasn't here then. The assuming, the theories without facts... there's no way in hell a time of death could be ascertained for hours, from the last time Tammy was seen."

"Yes sir, we understand." said Cindy. "Tommy could've killed Tammy when they met up. Or she could've been already dead and buried."

"So, we have two suspects, if not more." I said. "You and Tanya gonna make a bet?" I asked.

"Sure." said Tanya. "And you tell us who the winner is once you figure it out for sure." Cindy agreed, and lunch at The Steakhouse was bet upon.

"Glad you picked this case, Theo?" I asked.

"Yes sir, I am." said Theo. "We've already learned some new things... Gresham & Mason was involved; we now know they were legal representation for white supremacists. So was the father, son, or mother the supremacist? I might can find that out as I research these suspects."

"You're not ruling out the mother." I said. "That's good, I'm impressed. Okay, y'all give Theo as much info as you can. I've got to go see the Chief."

I got up and went to the Chief's office. He was there, and had me come in. "So, Mr. Crowbarrrr... has your young daughter solved that cold case yet?"

"She's solving the case of the Wildcats beating the Bulldogs, sir." I said. "But the cold case is what I wanted to talk to you about."

"Okay, go ahead." said the Chief.

"Chief," I said, "at some point in time, you are going to get a call from someone, someone who thinks they are influential and have power over you. That person is going to ask... demand, really... that you call off the dogs and the wildcats with various colored crowbars. All I ask, sir, is that you let me know who makes that call to you..."

To be continued.