All Comments on 'The Shack: A Parable of Wolves'

by Todd172

Sort by:
  • 116 Comments
tazz317tazz317over 6 years ago
ALMOST EVERY MYSTERY OF WHO-DUN-IT TALES

can be attribute to a Mother Goose Parable, TK U MLJ LV NV

badinbedbadinbedover 6 years ago
Loving wives?

Not our usual same bland oatmeal here in LW land. No, more like Eggs Benedict: You only become aware of the subtleties on top of the bold after you've eaten the whole thing. I guess you're not one of Randi"s legends because nobody can figure out what to make of you. You're just plain too "Spooky"! Another 5x from me though.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
wrong category

gets you 1* as always.

CrkcpprCrkcpprover 6 years ago
A Hub Of His Own ?

I'm sure the screams of wrong category will cascade down , from certain folks who's self molestation didn't turn out as planned . But sometimes in this life you've just got to acknowledge pure entertainment ( genius ?) for what it is and ride the wave !

Even though I was mentioned in the Forward , I must confess that I was late , and didn't get to give any input on this ( FYI , a Todd172 beta reader is the modern day equivalent of the Maytag repairman! ) .

Just to let everyone know ( who cares , Two in particular who know whom I speake of ) , that I'm still above the Sod line .

If there is a God in Heaven , then this wonderfully compelling storyline will be seen upon the Silver Screen , it's just that good ! I'm talking about the whole enchilada !

People , this whole world that my friend has created ( and freely shared ) , is one of life's pleasures that when it's over , will make us miss what we had .

5 *'s

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Ditto what cracked pepper said

Silver screen the whole plethora.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
REALLY

Did you post in L.W. just to prove a point or piss off readers??How many cuck and B.T.B stories are blasted for wrong Cat..Now Yours..

TheKrrakTheKrrakover 6 years ago
Astounding

Once again a fantastic addition to your world. Thank you for sharing and keeping it in the CORRECT catagory. This shows the depths that a TRUE loving wife will go for vengence, and what can be better than that.

5/5 and PLEASE keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
I never tire of your words

Your the best. 10 stars if they would let me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Not only wrong category, but a mess.

This guy is a one trick pony, and we've seen this trick before, about a dozen times. A story about the same bunch of dangerous psychopaths, written in broken English. This guy has his fanboys that rave about how great this is. Truth be told, it's a gimmick that most people lost interest in and few read these days.

JayDiverJayDiverover 6 years ago
Loving Wives Cat.

To Todd 172, the story is great as an add-on to the rest. The use of the Russian parable was a worthy effort. The others are much better though.

To people who are complaining about a wrong Cat. option. I feel the problem is in the Cat, instead of the authors choice of where to post this story. Loving Wives Cat. has evolved into a shouting match between Cucks, (1) and the BTB folks (10). With very few stories that fall as this one does in the (4) to (6) range. A very good story about a Loving Wife who wants revenge for her murdered husband. ****

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
LW: Married extra-marital fun. Swinging, sharing & more.

This belong elsewhere. Certainly NOT ON A PORN SITE. ☆

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 6 years ago
Fantastic

To the one bombs, if you think it's a "mess," fine, though the "broken English" comment is unfair. It is accurately reflecting the speech of the character. Would you expect a gang banger to use proper English? But to one bomb just because you disagree with the category is ridiculous!

dinkymacdinkymacover 6 years ago
Excellent!

Thanks for sharing a great story!

johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 6 years ago
Time for a reread

As I read this, I found myself desiring to reread the whole shack series in some sequence (to refamiliarize myself with the cast and their back stories, if not purely for entertainment purposes) - a playlist if you will. Chronological order by submission date seems to be the simplest, but how would you order them? "A Parable of Wolves", for example, seem like it might naturally pair with "Shameless".

I'm not sure about the rhythm of Russian folk tales, but in my humble opinion, it worked well, and stands in nice stylistic contrast to your other stories in the "Shack" series.

Justgr8Justgr8over 6 years ago
Great!!

Don't care where you post, great stories are so rare these days and your writing is just that. 5***** from me, thank you.....

no1specificno1specificover 6 years ago
MADM

Nuke 'em if they can't take a fuck!

Great story, as always my friend

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 6 years ago
johntcooksey Re: Sequence

Todd has the sequence over in SOL, you can actually select the stories by "universe."

The sequence is:

Blue Topaz Eyes

Shameless

Monster

Pogo and Spooky

Nobody

Pogo's Very Long Day

Gun, Gun, Teddy Bear

Behind Blue Eyes

Necessary Evil doesn't really fall into a particular sequence, Todd tells where this falls in his intro, it's probably best read after Shameless, IMHO.

Sidney43Sidney43over 6 years ago

Love your stories, love the characters. Five, could be more.

patilliepatillieover 6 years ago
Wow

Effortless to read. So good. One day gonna have to read these all in order.

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 6 years ago
Whew!

Damn this is good storytelling!. Thank you.

markranemarkraneover 6 years ago
Great Storytelling!

As usual, perfect cadence and pitch. Loved every second of it. Thank you for your efforts and we all look forward to the next installment.

BTW, I've read all of the stories in this universe at least twice. I went back reread them in sequence after I read this on SOL. As I've become more familiar with the characters and their backstory, each chapter had more depth than I got in the first coupla reads. I recommend going back and reading them carefully. You'll see what I mean.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Couldn't finish this

I haven't tried to read one of these for a while. Now I remember why. It's not erotica. It's not good writing. What was cute the first couple of times I read one of these has become just uninteresting. It's like one never-ending story, written in sophomoric style about creepy characters. I won't try another.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 6 years ago
@Anonymous Re: "Couldn't finish this"

While I recognize that everyone has there own taste, to put down a story as "terrible writing" just because you don't care for it is wrong.

As I mentioned on a Bulletin Board discussion, I don't like Jackson Pollock's work, that doesn't make them terrible paintings.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Most obvious missing comment...

AAAWWOOOOooooooOOOooooooo....!

- GrandPaM

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Terminal headache

Yes, I read it to the end. No, I did not like it. It just does not flow.

And Sbrooks103X (or whatever), stop trying to be the sycophant LE literary police. It seems that the critical reviews that do not match yours are subject to your objection. Follow your own advice, if you don't agree with someone else's observations it doesn't make them wrong, no more than it makes you right. Bugger off.

Pappy7Pappy7over 6 years ago
Hooty-hoo!

Well written and it pulled me into the story from word 1. Thanks for sharing. I know that these type of people are not what most people would choose for their next door neighbors but they are fun to read about. Almost everyone wishes they hadn't or hadn't had to take a bunch of shit off someone in their lives, whether it was bullies or gang members. A little over the top but if I wanted spot on I would just look around and note what was happening in the world just around me. Thanks for the read.

pappy

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Nice

I hate James Bond, Russians, spies, mecenaries, over the top stories. But I read yours anyway. Damn you and your amazing ability to spin a yarn!

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 6 years ago
@Anonymous 07/28/17 Re: "Terminal headache"

Please feel free to skip my comments, you won't be missed. I will continue to comment as I see fit.

cloakndagger772cloakndagger772over 6 years ago
Fantastic, as always

You are one of the best storytellers I have ever read, regardless of genre. Bravo.

Keoni1791Keoni1791over 6 years ago
Just amazing.

I love these characters you've created and the world you've built around them. Been a fan since you first started posting them, and I reread them again and again. Congratulations on another great tale.

ihateraccihateraccover 6 years ago
that is a story

well done

jocko_smithjocko_smithover 6 years ago
Terrific storytelling, as always

And it fits well into Loving Wives. After all, what was she, if not a loving wife ?

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Snow covered beaches, sun dappled ice

Long canine teeth, a promise to play nice.

Move along now, nothing to see here,

it's really better not to know.

Ignore that curtain and any movement,

you'll feel safer so i'm told.

The tiny man with tiny hands thinks these tales cannot be true

But truth be said, we'll be long dead,

all alike in our atomic glow.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Awesome

Great story Todd - well written and very entertaining.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
GREAT STORY, EXCELLENT WRITING.

ENJOYED IT TREMENDOUSLYU

LostnFoundBinLostnFoundBinover 6 years ago
Very, very well done

Thank you.

Todd172Todd172over 6 years agoAuthor
Thank you for the Feedback

It's how I know what works and what doesn't. As always, I'm amazed at the level of support and encouragement from the readers here. Thanks again.

If the style of the story doesn't suit you,that's fine; everyone has different tastes. There are a lot of really excellent writers on the site and I am sure there are some to suit pretty much any taste. Qhm1, dtiverson, blackrandi, Rehnquist, carvohi, Girl In The Moon, and many, many more - too many to name here.

Thanks again,

Todd

Freddog6601Freddog6601over 6 years ago
Another excellent addition to the Shack

Quite an enjoyable read. Once again your character development came through in spades for those who are familiar with the whole series.

As far as the Anons who are critical of your posting; if ignorance is bliss, they surely have achieved nirvana.

shadowjack17shadowjack17over 6 years ago
You're pretty close, man.

My love is Ukrainian of Russian descent, and SHE says you're pretty much on the money about the underworld in Russia. Just saying. And she repeated the story of the golden wolf nearly word for word to me. Always have wanted a bit of back story to Angel/Shameless/Zasha and you delivered perfectly. LOVE the "coincidental" names of the children, too!

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsover 6 years ago
MADM

The US version was 7 kilotons but according to experts could have been enhanced to 200 kilotons in the same size and weight, an excessive yield for demolitions use so it was never done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Well, dayamn! Sir, I like the cut of your cloth. This little piece filled in blanks, broadened...

...our horizons on several levels and did a fine job of furthering the world you've painted for us.

Please continue.....with anything....anything at all.

Thank you.

woodmanonewoodmanoneover 6 years ago
Thank You

I expect nothing less than a fine story when you post. This one exceeds my expectations. Truly well done Sir. I think the style of the writing and the story concept may be the best yet. This adds to the legend of your "Shack" series.

Thank you again and I am looking forward to your next posting.

Woodmanone

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Another great story from The Shack

I check back regularly to see if you have posted a new story and I am never disappointed after reading your stories which I have re-read a few times when I felt it would help with the understanding of your latest story.

Always 5* from me

shdwwrtrshdwwrtrover 6 years ago
A fitting song for the shack

Loved the new story. Came across the song "Heathens" by Twenty One Pilots (Part of the soundtrack for Suicide Squad). I found it very fitting for your pack of wolves in Fiji.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

As usual, another excellent story in the Shack series!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Who wants to watch Game Of Thrones, . . .

when a more real and compelling drama exists in these works? Congratulations. I hope someday it is produced, faithfully.

DoctimeDoctimeover 6 years ago

Words fail me, however wolfs never do. Extremely well done!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
thank you

The series is great. Just when I think you can't add to it you do. amazing tale.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Fang you very much!

I love your characters, your style, your expertise. When I saw that you had another installment on the site, I literally yelped in excitement. Thanks for giving us this pleasure!

PolyLvrPolyLvrover 6 years ago
Jesu Christo!

I cannot tell you how I love this series. So deserving of an HBO type production.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Good story

The story was so damn good that it made me wanna howl.

boatbummboatbummover 6 years ago
Terrific As Usual!

Thanks for bringing this crazy group of lovable eccentrics to life here in the pages of Lit. Every backstory adds richness to the brew. Thanks once again for sharing this with us, your fans!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
You succeeded..

Not only a great story but also has the "feel" of a Russian folk tale. I am not Russian but my degree is. We had to translate and discuss many classic Russian folk tales including The Farmer and the Wolf, Peter and the Dross Bird, How Much Land Does a Man Need, and a couple of the Baba Yaga tales. During my first read, I was thinking that the "story" part felt very Russian. Well done.

LamwayLamwayover 6 years ago
Truly great series

I don't really know how this series stays in loving wives category, but thank god it does. I look at updates more often here than many other sections. There should be a way to code this across multiple sections so others who might not spend much time here got the chance to see this author and stories. Well done Todd.

teedeedubteedeedubover 6 years ago
another great one

this series is wonderful. Trust but verify. Nope, not Ronald Regan. An ancient Russian proverb.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
excellent story

very enjoyable read

jtaylor

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Look for your work everyday

Great addition/back story. Screenplay!?

Dick

InsigniaInsigniaover 6 years ago
Narrative device

Was pure gold. Had to jog my memory a bit to reacquaint with some of the characters but this was a great story. Very fast paced. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Clarify please?

Red wolves got it no problem. Who are the Black and Grey wolves? SAS? French Foreign Legion? UOE? GIGN? SEAL? Is one a group that graduated from St. Tristan's?

Todd172Todd172over 6 years agoAuthor
Wolf Identification

The wild wolves of the forest are the inhabitants of the Shack, the shadowy black wolves of the night are Donna's crew from CUMULUS, and the grey wolves are Maria's FBI. The red wolves are, of course, Yuri's Russian Security Services. "Black" is a slang term for an "activity" or organization that doesn't officially exist. "Grey" designates an organization that exists, but may execute missions that don't go on the books. For the purposes of the story, DDIR Maria Hawthorne occasionally colors outside the lines.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Clarify please.

Thanks. What threw me was "bright grey strong wolves of the mountains" . Thought the mountain reference was something I missed.

IshuiIshuialmost 6 years ago

Terrific, riviting story, as usual. You said you tried to get the rhythm and feel of Russian folk tales and even though I am not Russian, I could feel that come through. I think that's what made this story. Can hardly wait for any more you write (have read all you have here).

Thanks so much for writing this.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Great story

I love how you told the story from a Folk story POV, makes me wonder about the origin of some of those Fables. Were they ways of explaining life’s issues back then ?

Thanks for making me think

5*

Chimo1961

KirkelKirkelover 5 years ago
All of you...you feckin rock

That’s all that needs said

JbRobertssonJbRobertssonover 5 years ago
Excellent story, impeccable writing...

Your stories never fail to draw me in; I'm engrossed from beginning to end. Your characters, like your stories, are vivid and captivating. Very well done, great job.

Thanks for posting. 5 stars, as usual.

jneric2691jneric2691about 5 years ago
Damn! That was an AWESOME story!

5Stars

KenfromIndyKenfromIndyabout 5 years ago
Damn just keeps getting gooder!

I have been finally reading these in order, some re reading. A sincere thank you for giving the order on your page. I must say these stories keep getting better. Not Russian in any way but from my perspective it appears you tapped into it well for this story. I throughly enjoy how you pull from the previous stories and give a history and meaning for terms at the end (educational information which i find as ironic subject matter for this site).

Please keep writing and I will keep reading and enjoying your efforts.

BuckeyebobBuckeyebobabout 5 years ago
Fantasy

What is this stuff doing in the loving wives section?

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Hey fuckeyed bob

He always states at the start of his stories . He started in loving wives so he posts all the shack series there to make it easier to find his shack stories . So please don't make insane stupid comments . Once again Brilliant stories . Have been hanging out for a new one . And this is the third time I have read this story . My favourite characters are Spooky . Delanie and Needles . Monster and Ex. Jinxy . And Danny .

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Story

Every time I’ve clicked on a submission from Todd I feel like Kisa “story story story” excellent work thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Truly excellent !

The Shack stories are my favorite, and I keep coming back and rereading them. All of your submissions are excellent work. Please share more with us, if you can.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
MADMs

MADMs were large and bulky.

SADMs had a smaller punch, but one man could take one anywhere.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
re: trolls

several comments have referenced how bad so many of the shack stories are; if you truly don't like them, don't read them; it's not as if you don't know what you are getting!

I am re-reading them in order for the second time; not because there is nothing better in the literary world to read, but because i find them fun to read. Keep up the good work, Todd.

MarkT63MarkT63almost 4 years ago
Still great

Loving this series. This could be in league with Robert Ludlum!!

dgfergiedgfergieover 3 years ago
rumor the shack stories are bad?

Just a rumor all are very good and worth re-reading many times!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Russian names

She would have bee Zasha Ivanova Volk. Ivnanovitch means son of Ivan. Ivanova means daughter of Ivan.

BunkerhillBunkerhillover 3 years ago
Wow!

Outstanding writing! The story is a wonderful weave of a children’s story and an adult tale. I also admire your use of comedic writing and irony throughout The Shack story lines. 5* throughout.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Hmm

All of the Shack stories are outstanding. Thank you.

dgfergiedgfergieabout 3 years ago
excellent!

You did capture the essence of the wolf tale, it sounded great to me. Excellent story, the Shack series. What goes around comes around. It sometimes takes awhile but it usually does. There are truly some people in this world that need killing.

shalleycatshalleycatabout 3 years ago

Love your stories, so a sincere thanks to you and your team. 5*. I like the story on a story format. Waiting for more on Needles and Delaney.

Lee2012Lee2012about 3 years ago

Gob smacked! A loss for words, but try this; i’m reading a story within a story that melds together to not only prepare the audience for the transition to the real, but emboldens the parable of the wolves, the cohesive unit and fierceness. Damn, Todd172. Just damn.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

As always Todd, you amaze. This makes the umpteenth time I've read your stories. I wish you would publish them so I can buy them.

Chief7844

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 3 years ago

Love your stories, a few more to complete the series. I also invested in Needles and Delaney on Amazon. You and the missuses need to going and write more, I'm running out of material!

BeauReadyBeauReadyalmost 3 years ago
Garbage Bullshit

Typical sycophantic and russian apologist propaganda. Putin is a genocidal, war and human rights criminal at the same level as Hitler. Further, Russia is and always will be a vicious, ruthless enemy to America and the West. Putin would never, ever, ever co-operate with Americans, and in particular would never EVER permit American soldiers to operate within Russian borders, for any reason whatsoever, and no matter what uniform they were to wear. It's insanity to believe otherwise. When are Putin and Russia going to stop their criminal war against Ukraine and withdraw the russian army and navy from Ukraine's territory and territorial ports and waters? Let's not forget that America and the West is at a heightened state of Alert against Russia and that economic sanctions against Russia by all Western Nations are still in place!

If the author(s) live in the United States, they have committed high treason with the nonsense written about Russia in this narrative.

James_DuncanJames_Duncanover 2 years ago

Oh dear BeauReady. You really need to get a grip on your mania and ego, this is fiction you daft wally. If you've got a political agenda, take it somewhere else.

orestes08orestes08over 2 years ago

It was a good story, but one thing threw me. It's a small nitpicky thing, but Ivanovich is not a Russian last name, it is a patronimic, it means "son of Ivan". If Piotr's father was named Ivan it would be common for his middle name to be Ivanovich, and for people to address him as Piotr Ivanovich, but it would not become his wife's married name. She would have a similar middle name after her father, and take his last name. For example, if her father was also Ivan (not terribly unlikely, it is the Russian version of John) her maiden name would have been Zascha Ivanova Volk.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

5 Stars on this one .. Keep up the good work

MisterMordinMisterMordinover 2 years ago

Every time I read this story I enjoy it more. Damn good.

Re orestes8...a very close female friend of mine (in Australia) married a man with the family name of Ivanovich. His parents were both born in Yugoslavia and the grandfather was Russian, from where the family surname came.

Ravey19Ravey19over 2 years ago

It's fiction and IMO a damn good read. Yes, maybe reality is stretched a little but so are many mainstream action movies and stories. I love the way you're completing the background of so many of the characters.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Probably the best writer on this site! Amazing way to tell a story!

GaiusPetroniusGaiusPetroniusover 2 years ago

Again, you (Todd and Missus) are continually sharpening your artistry. You set forth Angel's story through a fairy tale she tells her daughters, with the corresponding "reality" interspersed in the story you tell us. What a harrowing story, such a harrowing part of who she is, and she can share it with her tender-age children by way of a beautifully crafted fairy tale. Thank you!

tazz317tazz317over 2 years ago
NEVER PISS OFF A WOLF HUNTER

because you will never see the end, no matter how close you think you are. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Another great story... While I never encountered MADMs, I did work briefly and early in my career with Green Light teams and SADMs... I wasn't in long before the Cold War ended and the devices - and their dedicated teams - were no longer needed. But they always looked for the youngest guy on the team to jump the bitch, because it was nearly impossible to stay stable as you flew it towards the ground , and they couldn't afford to have the older, more experienced guy(s) who knew how to deploy the damned thing get hurt.

I'm really enjoying reading your stories. Your characters and their comradery and ethos remind me in different ways of other characters I've met in my years with SF/SOF.

DOL.

MisterMordinMisterMordinabout 2 years ago

What Putin is doing in the Ukraine will breed a generation of wolves that will bring pain and despair to Russia for decades to come.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Wow Todd, this was a really different and awesome piece of writing man. I felt like I was whisked away into another dimension. Also found it very thought provoking. Thanks so much for sharing your gift, I count myself especially fortunate to have been able to experience this...!

NitpicNitpicalmost 2 years ago
How

How can Demetri kill Bobert,he was dead shot by Piotr.?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Piotr didn't kill Demitri. It was a shot in the lung. That's for sure man stopping but not imediatly deadly. A good medical team can fix this.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTodd172@Todd172
4184 Followers
I write my stories to relieve the population pressure. Too many people banging around in there and the only way to get them out is to write them out. There's a bitter ex-Navy Master Chief living next to a quietly desperate tarnished Russian angel, who is trying to keep her sou...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES