All Comments on 'The Socratic Method'

by Thucydides

Sort by:
  • 38 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago

Ver pleasant story. A little long, but very pleasant

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago

A solid five!!!!!!! Outstanding personality and relationship development.

BelgiumBelgiumabout 12 years ago

A very good story. Nice reuse of characters too.

I really wish you wrote and posted stories more often!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
You have a way with characters

and I want to know more about Lindsay say 8-10 years later than her appearance in Elk.

Coast has one of the best opening how-I-met-hers, Elk some of the most interesting background and Socratic was just plain superb.

Behind it all are the characters which aren't stickboards and the romance which isn't all hot and sweaty but allows for a slow development, just like the best friendships in real life.

Thanks.

HansTrimbleHansTrimbleover 11 years ago
If they had more stars . . .

I'd have given you all of them. What a dynamite story!

I got a kick out of the fact that at almost every turn in the relationship, she'd got there ahead of him. Without that, he might have chickened out before taking it all the way to marriage. As good a guy as you painted in the lawyer, in Amanda you created a little dynamo: so good in every way, in fact, that she could have had any guy in the county, which apparently was always in the back of his mind. The fact that you got all that across without clumsy explanations is proof of how well you wrote this tale.

This site is home to some great storytellers, and I've been pleased to note that they aren't all totally preoccupied with sex organs to the exclusion of human relationships. I can only say that I'd like someday to be able to write as well as you and a few of your peers. Thanks for showing me smoothly it can go when it's done properly!

ThucydidesThucydidesover 11 years agoAuthor
Amanda

Interesting- I wrote Amanda as a woman who had struggled to prove that she could be as good a cop as a man and now was conflicted about being with a man who wanted her purely as a woman. As I said, I based her on Tina Griswold (may her name be for a blessing), a tiny woman who fought that battle in real life. I guess I didn't see what you're seeing in the story but there's nothing wrong with that. Glad you liked the story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
I know u gotta have a life . . .

but if you ever find yourself wondering what to do on a "slow day," my vote would be to write another story for all of us who really appreciate your work. In my opinion (70 yr old 3rd gen Oregonian Viet Nam vet) you do it just right. So just write!

I know I am not the only one begging, but if my plea helps any in your decision I would count myself blessed. Lynn

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Love your writing

I LOVE your writing. Good plot, good character development, smooth delivery. I'm originally from Lakewood, so enjoy the local references too.

Storm113Storm113over 10 years ago
more please

more with all of your characters and more new ones too.

kjohns2001kjohns2001about 10 years ago
Full length novel!

I have not yet finished the story and still had to jump to here to tell you that while I know that you have a full time demanding job you simply must put your talent to work and write a full length novel. Not to would be a crime. Seriously, there are a lot of good writers out there, great ones that can make you beg for the story not to end, not so many. I don't care how you do it, but please, do the readers out there a favor and give them, and by extension me, a full length book to read and thrill to! Please. I am sure a publisher would be happy to have material of this quality to publish, if they are stupid enough not to agree with me, self publish!

eve3514eve3514over 9 years ago
you got it right

I grew up a game warden's daughter. Our deep freeze was always full of evidence, the bedroom had a gun cabinet, and a service revolver was loaded and hung in the the bathroom. The story feels like a real life love story. If this was not auto biographical then it's damn good writing. Thank you for an excellent read.

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsover 9 years ago
good but.......

Now I do know that different tribes have some different rules on who qualifies for the tribal rolls, but one grandparent means one quarter.

Most tribes want more members rather than less.

I had a co-worker that was on the tribal rolls, he was one sixteenth and was a blue eyed blonde.

connoisseur29connoisseur29over 9 years ago
*****

Very good reading! I enjoyed the story, the theme, the writing. Kudos! Cheers!

bruce22bruce22over 9 years ago
Love that Owl

Thucydides did write about Socrates way back when. In fact, Thucydides was my favorite Greek historian. This story has some very lovable characters in it.

Though I admit that the DA was not very good at reading Amanda!

teedeedubteedeedubalmost 9 years ago
Story's a Hoot

Thanks for sharing.....

rightbankrightbankover 8 years ago
you honoured the namesake

well done.

thanks

Dragonfire14Dragonfire14over 8 years ago
Truly Wonderful Story

I thoroughly enjoyed your story and it captured the essence of the departed Officer Tina Griswold very nicely. Being from Florida, I was not familiar with the incident so after reading the first couple of paragraphs I felt compelled to research Officer Griswold and the incident that took her way too early. After doing my research, I had to wait a night to read your story as I feared that the endings would be similiar and I was not prepared for two heart-wrenching stories in one evening.

I felt relieved when your story had a very happy ending. You captured the essence of Officer Griswold in vivid detail and brought out how difficult it can be for a woman to function in a predominately male environment. It's a situation that bears telling frequently as both genders are equal in all regards but clearly not treated that way. It brings out how much our neanderthal views still need to change. More importantly, you honored the memory of a woman who gave, as President Lincoln once said, "... [her] last full measure of devotion..." to a career, not just a job, that she truly enjoyed.

Maybe you should publish this story in the Lakewood newspaper in honor of her memory. It certainly is worthy of her memory! Great job!

rightbankrightbankover 8 years ago
Thanks for the lovely story

I appreciate how you were able to blend the characters from some of your other writings into a composite scenario.

well done

texcavemantexcavemanover 8 years ago
It is amazing ...

How good authors and their stories are linked together.

Check the list of recommended stories at the end of this and all exceptionally good stories and no doubt I bet you to see authors with fabulous stories you recognize and probably have in your favorites selections.

DO NOT BURST MY NAIVE BUBBLE and try to convince me LIT would look into my favorites list and show me who I tend to follow. I want to enjoy believing I actually read stories from such great short story authors.

As I like to say:

Those that can write!

Those of us that can't write get to read!

THANK YOU THOSE THAT CAN

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
SWEET LITTLE STORY

WOW! With Socrates in the story it couldn't fail! All jokes aside this is a sweet story. Loved it! MORE PLEASE! Love you all! Bye. Greg. Oh 10 stars = 100 % of enjoyment. Bye.

TheOldRomanticTheOldRomanticover 7 years ago
Sweet story

A sweet and romantic story.

Mike, remember not to ever annoy Amanda, she can always twist an arm or leave you with cuffs attached to the bed indefinitely ... :)

5 * for you.

I apologize for my English (yet), is not my native language.

Horseman68Horseman68about 6 years ago
Never Fails to Please.

Another great story from this writer. So satisfying. Do wish that he would provide us with more of his talent.

Xzy89c1Xzy89c1over 5 years ago
She could search the car. No need for a warrant

He had the owl, and was speeding.

AnnaValley11AnnaValley11over 5 years ago
Great story - looking forward to reading more of your work.

Loved this story.

Great characters, fast action and plenty of romance

5 stars from me

flarebel2327flarebel2327about 5 years ago
searching vechiles

she may have been able to , but better safe than sorry. to many times stuff a lawyer gets thins thrown out

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireabout 4 years ago
Enjoyable story

This was my second read and I found it to be as much fun as the first time.

5*

Seizeya1Seizeya1about 3 years ago

Enjoyed the read! After having spent a long carrier on the line it is good to see happy endings involving that line of work. You know your craft and you know the subjects. I'll be following you.

roveroneroveronealmost 3 years ago

Very likable characters-REALLY liked her-the red dress their 1st date caught my attention too...

taking guy to his knees on dance floor-love both smart AND strong women

another 5 and fave-2 for 2... def diving back in, and going to be curious to check out your faves, too

and ALWAYS such a pleasure when technically correct, and don't recall mention of editor(s) so you do it yourself-props!

Blueman5410Blueman5410about 2 years ago

Thanks for a very entertaining and well-constructed story. Great characters, really enjoyable and well-thought out plot--and I REALLY like "happy endings"! (Both types! lol.) Thanks for a good read.....thoroughly enjoyed it!

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanabout 2 years ago

thanks, good story. read the ikipedia bio on tina griswold and the other 3 cops. interesting read.

Gym52Gym52over 1 year ago

EXCELLENT!!!

A brilliant read, I really enjoyed your descriptions and characterisation throughout, your plotline was beautifully paced and your characters very real.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

very nice!...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

very nice!...

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefabout 1 year ago

Another five star story. Glad that I've found this author, but sorry that he doesn't write and post stories anymore. This is another well written story that's easy to enjoy and has a great ending.

sg1010sg1010about 1 year ago

GREAT ! It is really neat that you pull in other characters from previous stories.

THANKS !

Scott

Schlouis57Schlouis579 months ago

J'ai bien aimé cette histoire sauf la partie où elle attaché son compagnon avec des menottes. Cela me fait craindre pour l'avenir. Elle aurait dû lui demander avant. Dommage.

Magic_CapMagic_Cap6 months ago

Nice story, sometimes a bit surprising twists, like the for my taste too abrupt and therefore IMVHO improbable change of behavior from official to private, and unfortunately a bit too hasty an ending - there is still more potential in it!

Nevertheless: I like it!

Therefore "only" 4/5 stars !

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous