All Comments on 'The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of'

by RMRedfall

Sort by:
  • 24 Comments
cloacascloacasalmost 16 years ago
Nicely done

Good story. Lots of solid writing and a well-contained plot. I don't think you needed the very last lines.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Different, but that is good!

A different story — and that is a good thing. Always enjoy a new take, and this was fairly original.

JADED_ONE1969JADED_ONE1969almost 16 years ago
Interesting....

Here is a question if you dream about someone else having sex with you is it cheating? In this case it probably was of benifit to the couple but an it's still an interesting idea.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
it's good

to see spouses opening up to each other and sharing more of their intimate feelings. All to often, the every day stress is getting to them and if there's no other emotional balance, things turn ugly. The only thing bothering me is that it was triggered by memories of somebody else than her husband. Hope this does not lead to extra marital sex if there's another chapter in this story. G.Belgium

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 16 years ago
wtretched vile unromantic bullshit

Let me see if I have this right. The Obnoxious self centered bitch from the north pole has a dream about fucking an old boyfirend from 20 years ago... SHE gets turned on... and NOW she wants to fuck ?

<br></br>

sure most men would LOVE that! NOT

<br></br>

SHE gets to say when ALL of the sex takes places.. he doesnt

<br></br>

she has sexy dreams so SHE says when they fuck. If He has sexy dreams... drop dead asshole.

<br></br>

please can someone tell me where the LOVE is? its all about her. This isnt a marriage. He's a nearby cock.

<br></br>

In the end she WILL cheat on him b/c she allows this sort of severe 1 sided relationship to go on.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Not Much Of A Story

The writer gets some points for imagination for a slightly new approach, but most technical skills required to write well are sadly lacking. Commas are inserted where they don't belong; capitalization is hit or miss; paragraphs were apparently developed based on a desire to have a standardized number of lines in them without respect to anything else; the grammar is weak, etc., etc.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
O.K.

I thought story was interesting, well written and in its own way a little erotic. One thing, when a kid is big enough to eat a Big Mac he is big enough for his own room and bed. Couple needs to communite a lot better, good luck.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
It is Amazing How Real Life...

just doesn't interest some people. The tiredness, the subtle ennui, the sense of over-familiarity, and the arguments over "nothing." Ten minutes... how "UNROMANTIC" yet how true to life--a child, bless them. I suspect that if you posted a sequel about sharing the dream, and just had a loving couple work it out as a realistic loving couple would or might, some commentators might really lose it...

Alvaron53Alvaron53almost 16 years ago
Very well done, thank you

Excellent writing with compact, interesting prose. The people are realistic characters who aren't plastic imitation porn stars, who have real feelings, have faults and foibles, nobility of character and spirit. The plot is uncomplicated but believable and plays out smoothly showing us the characters growing into better individuals. It's erotic in its own way, and I appreciate my smut literate and interesting.

<P>

For those who choose to damn based on someone's dream, I can only shake my head at their foolish ignorance and spite.

RMRedfallRMRedfallalmost 16 years agoAuthor
A Few Words for Everyone

First of all, it's apparently required that I rate the submission in order to post a comment, so let my rating stand as my own personal level of satisfaction with this story.

I'm glad to see that people get it, for the most part. This is surely not the most exciting story on Lit. It wasn't meant to be. Some people can appreciate a moment like this one in an otherwise "boring" marriage, and others can't. I expected this, and I appreciate everyone's honesty.

Yes, a four-year-old still sleeping with his parents is decidedly not optimal. Yes, this is a marriage with some deeply rooted romantic problems, and they stem partly from psychological issues within Maddy. Yes, at the heart of this story is an undercurrent of poor communication. Those of you who have made these observations are entirely correct, and also very perceptive. I wonder why some of you seem to think this was an accidental oversight, rather than an intentional construct? For those of you who give me credit for thinking it all up, rather than just being unfortunately bad at writing about a happy couple, thank you.

Maddy had an erotic dream about another man. I find it amusing that anyone would condemn her for symbols within her mind over which she has no control; raise your hand if you've never intentionally masturbated to a fantasy of someone other than your partner. The fact that she dreamt of another man is far less significant than the guilt she felt when she first woke, and the relief she felt when she realized it was only a dream. Unfortunately, I don't have room here to fully interpret the dream; I'll consider it for the next installment of Nick and Maddy's story. I find it extremely harsh to rate the story with a flat ZERO because you disapprove of a character's actions, but at the end of the day, I'll take that as a compliment: apparently I've created a woman so realistic that readers are able to strongly hate her like a real person, even if it's only on account of a misunderstanding.

Only slightly less harsh is to rate it one step above zero on account of supposed grammar flaws. If I thought my grammar were nearly as bad as the vast majority of other writers out there, I might take such criticism seriously. I advise anyone who questions the mechanics of my grammar to go out and pick up a few bestsellers. Some very popular authors out there write with some of the most atrocious sentence fragments, choppy paragraphs, and blatant misuse of words that you'll ever see. It seems that memorizing the Oxford Dictionary of English isn't a prerequisite to being a good storyteller, so if that's the extent of your disapproval, I apologize for not losing much sleep over it -

especially with such strange complaints as "capitalization is hit or miss" (I'm quite familiar with the rules for capitalization - tell me where I failed to observe them and do me the honor of giving me an opportunity to demonstrate that it was an intentional mechanic), and my favorite, "paragraphs were apparently developed..." Seriously: what? Are you complaining about the length of the paragraphs, which is not the least bit universal, as you claim, or are you complaining about the fact that I didn't diagram every sentence before I submitted my story to a website to be viewed by anyone in the world for free? I will concede that I have a tendency to be comma-happy, which is the result of my writing for the way it sounds, rather than the way my English teacher graded me for it. Other than that, I stand by my grammar and my writing mechanics as being quite acceptable; if you didn't like the story, just say, "This story sucks." If you're going to grade it, then I hope you're prepared to be the teacher you're trying to sound like. If you're correct, then I need to go back to school.

I will continue to look forward to feedback here. This is a great chance for me to study my talents and my flaws from a more detached standpoint, and in the end it will make me a better writer. Thank you everyone.

~R M Redfall

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 16 years ago
RMRedfall didnt follow his Own story

RMRedfall defense of his own story misses the point. They were NOT having "Normal Martial sex" ( hatever that is) and one night she had a erotic dream so they had great sex.

<br></br>

My son would Jump into our bed at 1am at the age of 7 when he had a Bad dream so THAT is quite realisitic! That is NOT the point.

<br></br>

Yes Maddy has serious mental and sexual issues. That is NOT the point

<br></br>

No one expects you to fully interpret the dream... that is a cop out and it is NOT the point.

<br></br>

The POINT is that a young Husband who is REPEATEDLY shut down by the wife would NOT say... <i><b>wow dear so you dreamed of fucking someone else and Now you want me... but when I want you its drop dead mister... Boy do I feel great... lets fuck.</b></i>

<br></br>

that is just BULLSHIT and the author knows it.

<br></br>

I do NOT fault the author for any grammer mistakes. Big deal. But it is clear the author is unable to follow his own premise.

RMRedfallRMRedfallalmost 16 years agoAuthor
Not a Fair Accusation, Harry

<p>An unfortunate choice on the site's behalf that votes are required for comment posting - now I have to suffer another zero vote every time you want to get the last word. But don't publicly accuse me of not knowing my own story, when you obviously missed the <b>very significant point</b> that Maddy never tells Nick the dream was about another man. That is, in fact, subject matter for a later story, and I stress to you again: <b>what you don't like about these characters is probably there because I put it there.</b> I am a writer. That's what we do.</p>

<p>You are jumping to some very unfounded conclusions, and I suspect they're based more on some poor experience in your own life than anything mentioned in my story. It is actually quite common for one partner or the other, and especially the woman, to be the "deciding vote" on when and where sex takes place. It is pretty uncommon, as I have heard it told, for a man who went to bed <i>wanting it</i> to wake up and turn it down.</p>

<p>As much as I hate trolls, and as extremely unfair as your repeated zero vote is to my overall average, I will continue to acknowledge any of your opinions which warrant explanation for the sake of enlightening my readers. If, however, you're going to continue to make no particular literary point here, then I'll happily give you the last word and let it go. I hope I can convince the moderators of this site to remove the vote requirement from posting, if this is going to be the nature of my relationship with readers.</p>

<p>I will also thank you never to use the words, "the author knows it" again. It's pretty obvious that you have no idea what the author knows or thinks. The author actually knows that if this situation happened in his own life (and don't get me wrong, it never has), he wouldn't hesitate to seize the opportunity and discuss the details later, so please stop talking like you have some inherent right to speak for "all men".</p>

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 16 years ago
NOT a troll..

RMR --- I am sorry in you think I am a troll or you dont know my Rep. Let me give you a clue. Trolls do NOT post with an ID and a contact email.

<br></br>

You may NOT like what I have to say... and thats fine... but at least grant that I dont run away and I DO give feedback. And a LOT of it. AND If I am covinced I am wrong unlike many others I will say so.

<br></br>

LOOK just to show you I am NOT a troll I will give you a 100.

<br></br>

You said ...

<br></br>

<u>...you obviously missed the very significant point that Maddy never tells Nick the dream was about another man..</u>

<br></br>

HUH? what? what is this about in part 7....

<br></br>

<b>"That must have been one hot dream," he said quietly.

<br></br>

"It was an awful dream," she answered. "But I can't help what I dream about, and at least we got something good out of it."</b>

<br></br>

are you telling us ... that the wife tells Nick "dear I hot dream but I wont tell you whats it about?"

<br></br>

oooooookkkkkkayyyyy......

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
OK Children - Stop It

Author - constructively its OK to respond to what you feel is an unfair statement but long term you will see that you don't need to defend quality work. Appreciative others will do that for you more effectively in most cases but do as you wish.<P>

Only 1 vote per counts so don't fret the Harry's of the world except that enraging him should be left to us not the future where no one wins.<P>

You can turn off any or all comments and voting but where's the benefit of that if you wish constructive feedback or stated appreciation and why. So in your mind - weed out the un and focus on the words to grow further.

Harry - the first comment you made stated your case but in less than a civilized un-antagonistic way. Recently, I thought you were going to be a big boy who we can respect as you are usually on point but when you alienate so aggressively - your real purpose is lost. Isn't it?<P>

When you have the first word, the other party has the option of explanation which he did with a fair directness and economy of words. Pissing matches of duration are for children or the uneducated or the drunk or - well you get the idea. They often tell us much about the person and sometimes more than what was intended.<P>

Enough.<P>

Author - I liked your depth and human-ess viewpoint expressed quite well. Every person is flawed to some degree and you painted some who we embarrassingly can relate to at some stage in our lives. It felt real. It was original. It was appreciated for life is like that with all its warts.<P>

Thanks Author - you are now anticipated at interval.<P>

With High Regard

RMRedfallRMRedfallalmost 16 years agoAuthor
As Promised, A Reply To A Valid Question

<h5>@Harry</h5>

<p>Cutting straight to the heart of your question:<br /><br />

<b><i style="color:#000088;">HUH? what? what is this about in part 7....<br /><br />

<span style="color:#006800;">"That must have been one hot dream," he said quietly.<br /><br />

"It was an awful dream," she answered. "But I can't help what I dream about, and at least we got something good out of it."<br /><br /></span>

are you telling us ... that the wife tells Nick "dear I hot dream but I wont tell you whats it about?"</i></b><br /><br />

That is, in fact, the point. By the time this statement is made, the sex(ual act) is over - therefore this would not have been able to prevent the erotic scene from taking place.</p>

<p>But you bring to light a valid literary point here, and I would like to address it because in so doing, we can actually turn this around and make it a helpful discussion full of suggestions and advice, which is what I have been hoping for from the beginning, rather than the "pissing match" another reader has so aptly pointed out, which accomplishes little and makes the both of us seem petty in the process.</p>

<p>The fact that this entire story is centered around a dream about another man is <b>the point</b>. <b>THE POINT.</b> All of the ire you express toward Maddy is a very human reaction, and may, in the future, turn out to be Nick's reaction, as well. I have a philosophy about writing this kind of story, and it entails, among other things, a refusal to write about the typical, cheating, "desperate housewife". There's enough of that here already. I would rather make an attempt to discuss matters such as the complicated beast of jealousy and the death of passion in a marriage in a morally responsible way - for no other reason than that's simply how I feel it should be examined. I chose the relatively safe scenario of a woman's dream because I can thus open up the subject of jealousy in a realistic way, but still move forward preserving Maddy's integrity as a good wife who is simply not very sexual. I never have to utter a single word about Maddy actually wanting to cheat.</p>

<p>Call me naive, but I had a vision of using this site, and this comment board, to dialogue with readers who could point out flaws in my thinking, make suggestions for the future, and just basically let me know what I've done right or wrong. I have no fear of well-constructed criticisms - sometimes they're more helpful than the most flowery compliments. I won't be deleting any comments from this board unless they violate Literotica's rules. I look forward to stretching this comment board out as long as the story itself, if people have enough to say about it. I'm not here for money or glory (though both are nice), I'm here to learn and discuss. To me, the comment board is more significant than the story. I simply needed the story to open the comment board. Any readers who aren't interested in that need not participate. Any who are, let me know what you're thinking. But remember, in the same spirit that I must accept even the harshest criticisms from readers, I will, when I find it necessary, respond to readers without holding back my own thoughts. On a site like Literotica, I think we can all agree upon the freedom of speech, no?</p>

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Very believable!

Great story. I was able to identify with the emotions of both characters, and I feel like it may give me a little insight into my own marriage.

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 16 years ago
OK RMR Fair enough

RMR

Anyone who is willing to write that kind of well thought and reasoned reply is going to move up my list of favorite authors in a hurry!!!.

<br></br>

I too really do appreciate the "conversation" and I will gladly wait and see where this story goes.

<br></br>

My pet peeve is the occurrence of conflict or some issue that the author brillantly develops and goes on and on about for some time... but then in order to get to a predetermined ending... be it divorce

revenge or reconciliation... does NOT resolve the issue.

RMRedfallRMRedfallalmost 16 years agoAuthor
Now We're Getting Somewhere

<h5>@Harry</h5>

<p>Now you have given me the kind of input I'm hoping for. You have a pet peeve as a reader, and it's more than just "valid", it's actually, as an earlier comment described you, very "on point". My goal with this storyline is, in fact, to resolve the issues facing Nick and Maddy, and I hope to do so in such a way that we are all, myself wholly included, satisfied with the future of their marriage. I have set forth with this first story to reveal something of a hidden scar, and I thought (though I could be wrong - it's hard to gauge your own success) that I had done so in such a way as to leave you anticipating the conversation which takes place soon after this encounter.</p>

<p>At the same time, I hope all readers give me some credit which I haven't fully earned yet: I know why we're all here. Philosophy and moral dilemma are all well and good, but please have faith that this story is <b>not</b> the extent of my ability as a writer of <i>erotica</i>. Like an appetizer, I hope this story "tastes good", but I know that it doesn't satisfy like a meal.</p>

<p>And to the anonymous poster who says:</p>

<p><b style="color:#000088;">Great story. I was able to identify with the emotions of both characters, and I feel like it may give me a little insight into my own marriage.</b></p>

<p>If that's true, then you have paid me what I consider the greatest of all compliments: you've just told me that I accomplished what I set out to accomplish, though to my own eyes I think I've presented a shiny coin with a bit of rust on it. I am thoroughly flattered and very appreciative of the word "insight" making its appearance here. If I had to sum up my goals as a writer of fiction, I believe that one word says it all. I hope that I can live up to its definition.</p>

<p>Now then. I have some writing to do. XD</p>

MILFEDMILFEDalmost 16 years ago
This is without a doubt........

some of the best writing I have seen here. Some may not like the people in the story and what is going on with them but hey, that is how real life is.

bruce22bruce22almost 16 years ago
Interesting and well written

I was furious with the wife about half-way through the

story. She deserved what ever disaster was around the corner(obivously)...

Then after all the discussion here I find myself rooting for the future of the couple and almost feeling compassion for her.

Now that is real fine work, Author.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
Interesting in at the least

I've read a few of the comments of this story and am a bit confused, merely for the fact that I have no idea what harry's comment was. I can't really see what the issue was here.

Firstly, this is a story. So in term of that, I felt it to be well written and a great read.

Secondly, and I feel there are many who miss this point, these are works of fiction. They are not meant to be 100% accurate. Accuracy helps if the author wishes to make a particular point, but it is by no means neccessary.

And lastly, Although I do enjoy this section of fiction, it is most defeinattly refreshing for the wife to actually be cheating. I don't think every unhappy relationship has to go that way and there are many people in this world who uphold their morals and vulues. The fact that I enjoy these stories doesn't imply that I will ever cheat, or that I wil ruin my partner if she does, nor that I will take her back (or expect her to take me back). These completely depend on the circumstances and on the people and concidering thar Litroitica Auther's attempt to give such combinations of circumstance, they, by poetic licince have the right to set their (the sories) path any which way they choose.

But he most important point is this: I enjoyed this story. (and on an entirely coincidental note thought it was very plausable)

DWornockDWornockalmost 13 years ago
I read about half the first page and it didn't appear to be going anywhere.

So I quit reading and gave it a 1.

norcal62norcal62about 12 years ago
DWornick misfires again. He's too immature to understand this story anyway.

Had to comment to upgrade my first impression of the story up to a 5. I can imagine a couple of limited communication skills in exactly this situation.

Good construction, even though a little hard to follow in places.

reddogs88reddogs88over 11 years ago
Great story

I enjoyed this story. Good to read one where husband and wife still want each other, even after fighting and having a stale sex life for a couple of years. The adventures can only get better from here.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous