The Trail West Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"But we didn't say anything bout how we felt," Josh protested.

"When you reached down and touched her hair and she looked up at you with tears in her eyes, even a blind man could see that you two were sweet on each other. I don't want to get all poetic and stuff but that look said more than all the talkin you could've done. Danni loves you Josh, take my word for it," Red assured his friend.

"Am I that thick headed?" Josh asked and then with a smile answered his own question, "Yeah, I guess I am."

"I'm goin to meet Jerry tomorrow," Red explained. "We haven't had a chance to talk much lately. I'll tell him that you'll be the one goin to meet Danni when she comes home Friday. "You go and talk to that girl."

Josh nodded at the suggestion and Red continued, "Y'all better put a brand on that filly fore some other cowboy throws a rope on her. I hear some of those boys in town are gettin real interested in Danni. Especially Steve Mitchell's boy."

"Stanley? Why he's just a boy."

"He's 20 Josh, the same as you. Better pay attention to your stock there, fore someone rustles her away," Red responded.

Josh was quite for a couple of minutes and looked at Red with a grin. "You remember what happened to the last ones that tried to rustle stock that I had an interest in. But you're right; I'll have a talk with her on the way back to the ranch from Fountain. Thanks Red."

"Somebody's got to guide and take care of you; sometimes you're not smart enough to come in out of the rain." Red teased.

*****************

Friday morning just after daybreak, Bill Sanders rode back to the Lazy L. He stepped down from his horse and Josh and Red came out to meet him, bringing a cup of coffee for their boss.

"You boys got time to have a talk?" They both nodded and offered him a chair.

"There's been a little change in plans. William wrote again and wants you two to stay on and help him with the ranch after he gets here."

"For how long?" Red asked.

"He said he'd keep you on for two years and after that y'all can decide what you want to do. But he told me he'd just as soon you boys make yourself a home on the Lazy L," Sanders replied.

"That's fine I guess. But what happens when Larson gets out of prison and comes back?" Josh asked.

"Tom Larson won't be comin back. Nancy just got word that he was killed in a prison riot. I didn't like the man, but I never wished somethin like that on him. It hit Nancy pretty hard." Sanders stopped for a few seconds shaking his head.

"So boys, it looks like y'all got a job for life, ifin that's what you want. I've heard some rumors about you and those two Maguire girls." Sanders looked at Josh and Red with a little grin. "If y'all get hitched you can live in the big house. We'll make over that second bunkhouse into a place for William to live in. Oh before I forget, you'd still be makin the same wages as now. How about it boys, are you in?"

Josh looked at Red and at a nod from him said, "It's a good offer Mr. Sanders. Give us a week to think about it."

Sanders nodded, got up, and mounted his horse. "Let me know as soon as you can boys. If you're not gonna stay I've got to figure something else out." He turned his horse and headed back to the S Bar S.

"Don't that beat all?" Red remarked.

"Reckon we aren't just drifters anymore," Josh grinned.

****************

Danni stepped out of the freight office at noon; she had arranged with her boss, Mr. Whitworth to work four days a week and a half day on Friday's so she could ride back to the Maggie M for the weekend. Her horse, Sunny, was tied to the hitching rail in front of the office; saddlebags packed and ready to go.

Sunny wasn't really her horse; he belonged to Josh. He had loaned the horse to her for her trips back and forth between town and the ranch. Actually it was more of an intense request that she ride Sunny; Josh said he wanted her on a good horse to make the trip safely.

Maybe Sunny wasn't her horse but she treated him like her own. Every day after work and before returning to the boarding house, she made it a point to go to the stables and visit with Sunny. She always brought an apple or piece of turnip as a treat for the horse. She would spend several minutes with him, brushing and talking to the big buckskin. As far as Sunny was concerned Danni was his human.

Josh was leaning against his horse Diablo when Danni came out of the office. She expected to see Jerry waiting on her and was surprised and pleased that Josh was her escort instead. Danni returned Josh's smile and walked to him and gave him a quick hug.

"Hope you don't mind Danni, but I thought I'd take Jerry's place today and give him a rest."

"Let's go Sir Knight, I'm ready if you are," Danni responded.

They left town at an easy walk, talking and enjoying each other's company. About a mile from the ranch they top a big rise that had a good view of the valley below. The north fork of Black Squirrel Creek with cottonwood trees lining its banks ran at the base of the rise. Josh said that they ought to stop and rest the horses for a bit. As they dismounted, Danni thought it strange because they had been walking the horses the entire way from town. Josh found a fallen tree in the shade and they sat next to each other looking over the valley.

Josh started to say something, stopped, and then started again. Stuttering a little he finally said, "Danni, your special to me. The first time I saw you outside of Mitchell's store I knew how I felt." He stopped for a few seconds, seeming to gather himself and continued, "I love you Danni. I want to spend the rest of my days showing you how much. I guess what I'm saying is, will you marry me?"

From the phrase, special to me, Danni had been smiling. "I love you too Josh. Yes, I'll marry you."

Josh heaved a huge sigh of relief and pulled Danni into his arms. He kissed her long and hard and when he let her go she said, "I thought I was gonna have to have Red explain the facts of life to you. I've been waitin for you to tell me how you felt since that buffalo gored you."

"That's what Red told me," Josh replied laughing. "He said the way I looked at you that night told the whole story. Reckon he was right."

This time Danni pulled Josh into her arms and they held each other. They talked for a bit and then Danni asked, "Where are we going to live? Are we going back to Missouri?"

"I hadn't thought that far ahead. Where do you want to live?"

"With you. You'll be my husband and my home is where ever you decide it should be."

"I think I'd rather stay here. There's really no extra on the farm and my Pa's a long way from being put out to pasture. Besides, according to the letters from Pa, Missouri gonna be a tough place to start fresh after the war. I'd rather build a life here, with you. Okay?"

Danni smiled and nodded. Diablo picked that time to whinny as if to say let's get going; we rested long enough. Josh and Danni laughed, mounted, and continued on to the ranch.

Josh said hello to Daniel and Maggie. He wasn't really surprised when Red and Sarah came out of the ranch house too. Red caught Josh's eye and raised his eyebrows with a question. Josh didn't respond and said he had to get back to the Lazy L. Maggie invited him and Red for supper the next evening.

"Mr. Swede is a pretty good cook but I'd rather eat your cooking Maggie. We'll be here," Red replied.

"Wouldn't have anything to do with the company, would it Red?" Daniel asked trying to hide a smile.

Red laughed and nodded, he mounted and joined Josh for the ride back to the Lazy L. He waited until they had gone about a mile and asked Josh, "Did you talk to Danni?"

Josh didn't look at him but answered, "Yeah, I talked to her." He didn't say anymore.

"Damn it Josh. What did she say?"

He waited a few seconds and answered, "She don't want to move to Missouri, Red."

"Did you tell her you loved her?"

"Yep."

"Did you ask her to marry you?"

"Yep."

"And she said no? I could have sworn she loved you. I'm sorry Josh, I reckon I read it wrong," Red said with a sad tone in his voice.

Josh let him stew for a couple of minutes. "I think we'll get married in the spring, probably in May."

Red lifted his head, puzzled. "Didn't you just tell me she said no when you asked her to marry you?"

"No, what I said was she didn't want to move to Missouri. Neither do I; we're gonna live here," Josh responded laughing at the look on his friends face.

"You sure come out of your shell since you been ridin with me." Red grinned at the trick Josh had played on him. Getting serious he said, "I'm gonna talk to Daniel after supper tomorrow night. Gonna ask his blessing to marry Sarah. It might be a good idea for you too."

"I thought Sarah already said she wanted to marry you?"

"That's right she did and we'll get married come hell or high water. But I need to talk to Daniel about it; it's the right thing to do Josh."

"I guess you're right partner. I'll join you, besides he can't shoot both of us....... Or can he?"

Saturday at the Lazy L seemed to drag on and on. Josh and Red were both on edge all day, waiting for time to leave for the Maggie M. It was about 30 minutes between the ranches at a slow lope, the boys left early and walked their horse most of the way.

Finally Red turned to Josh and said, "C'mon let's go. This can't be as bad as facing Fogerty and his bunch."

Josh grinned and answered, "Don't know about that, but I don't reckon we'll get shot at. You're right, let's get this over with."

At supper that evening the boys were a little jumpy and nervous. Maggie said they were acting like they'd sat on an ant hill. Josh and Red smiled at her joke and tried to calm down; Sarah and Danni were giggling like two little girls which didn't help the boys very much. After supper Daniel went out on the front porch with his cigar; they two young suitors followed him.

Red and Josh nudged each other trying to get the other one to speak first until Daniel asked, "Okay boys, what's put a burr under your saddle. Out with it."

After one more look at each other Red spoke first. "Daniel, sir, Sarah and I want to get married and I'm asking for your blessing."

Maggie came out of the house and joined the three men. She could see and feel the tension between them and asked, "What's going on Daniel?"

"Red just told me that he would like our blessing to marry Sarah," Daniel explained to his wife. Turning he looked at Josh and said, "How about you Josh, are you here for the same reason?"

"Yes sir."

"You want to marry Sarah too?" Daniel tried to hide a smile.

"Er, er, no sir. I want to marry Danni," Josh stuttered.

"Daniel, stop teasing the boys," Maggie ordered with a grin, nudging him in the ribs . "The boys are serious and you shouldn't make fun of them." But Maggie was trying not to laugh too.

Josh took a deep breath. "Daniel, Maggie, I love Danni and she loves me. She's agreed to marry me. Motioning to Red he continued, "Red and I thought it only right that we talk to you about it."

"How do you boys plan on supporting my daughters? Do you plan to move back to the Maggie M? Have you even thought that far ahead?" Daniel wasn't teasing or making fun of the boys. He was serious, wanting to make sure his girls would be provided for.

This time it was Red who answered. "We've both got good jobs, Daniel. Mr. Sanders just asked us to stay on at the Lazy L to help his son run it."

"And I'm still training horses so that'll be extra for Danni and me. I think we can take care of them pretty good sir," Josh added.

Daniel looked at the two young men for all most a minute and then yelled, "Sarah, Danielle, get out here."

The girls stepped out onto the porch so quickly it was apparent they had been listening. Daniel looked at his daughters and said, "You two sure you want to hook up with these two cowhands? They're kinda scruffy, don't you know?"

Danni walked to Josh and took his arm. She turned back to her father smiling and nodded.

Sarah said, "We'll beat em into shape Pa." She laughed and ran to Red and put her arms around him.

Daniel smiled at his girls and Maggie had tears in her eyes. Then everyone laughed and started to talk. After they calmed down a little, Daniel asked one more question.

"What would you have done if I said no?" Looking first at Red and then at Josh with a small smile.

Red started to speak but Josh interrupted him. Looking at Danni he said, "Daniel, with all respect I would have married Danni anyway," he answered with a determined look on his face. Red was holding Sarah and nodded that he felt the same way.

"Well it's a good thing that we gave our blessing then," Maggie said.

Sarah and Danni hugged their father and then went into the house with Maggie. The men heard something about having a double wedding to plan as they were left alone on the porch.

"Tom Larson's not comin home," Josh said, telling Daniel about Larson's death and about the offer that Sanders had made them. "I guess we'll have the job for two years. Might be longer according to Mr. Sanders."

Daniel nodded his head at the news and said, "I know, Bill Sanders stopped by here on his way back to his place Friday mornin. He told me about Larson and about his offer to you." He thought for a few seconds and then added.

"Can you boys stay over tonight? I got someone I'd like you to meet and tomorrow is as good a time as any. It's about an hour's ride to his place. We can leave after breakfast and be back by midday and then y'all can go back to Lazy L that afternoon."

Josh and Red agreed to go with Daniel the next day. They went into the house to say good night to Sarah and Danni and then took their horses down to the corral. When they got to the bunkhouse they had a lot to tell Jerry; he had gone back to bunkhouse right after supper.

First they told him about the new job offer from Sanders. "If you want, you can work with us at the Lazy L, we can hire you on as a full paid hand," Josh told him. "If you rather stay on the Maggie M, that's okay too"

"It's never been about money for me," Jerry replied. "I like it here and feel like I'm helping Mr. Maguire. Just feels like I'm needed here more than I would be on the Lazy L. I'd just as soon stay here if Mr. Maguire will let me."

Josh told Jerry that they had already talked to Daniel and that he would like Jerry to stay on with the Maggie M. "His exact words were, Jerry's a good man. Besides, if I let Jerry go away Maggie will have my hide," Josh said to Jerry with a grin. Jerry chuckled and blushed at the compliment.

"There's one other thing you need to know partner," Red added. "We're gonna have two more partners in our group come spring." Jerry looked puzzled and Red continued.

"Sarah and I are gettin hitched. So are Josh and Danni. So that'll mean there'll be five partners instead of just three. How's that sit with you?"

Josh butted in before Jerry could answer, "We gave our word to each other that we'd be partners. I plan to keep my word. Of course if you want to break up the partnership that's up to you."

Jerry smiled with a hint of tears in his eyes. "Five sounds like a good number."

Daniel pulled Maggie into his arms as they got into bed. "Looks like we're gonna lose our girls. I hope the kids can make a go of it."

"Sarah and Danni are working and the boys are drawing good wages; they'll have as much or more than we did when we started out," Maggie replied. "We did alright, don't you think? Beside we're not losing them, our family is just getting bigger."

Josh and Red were pleasantly surprise after breakfast. Daniel wasn't the only one riding with them that morning. The whole crew of the Maggie M saddled up and ready to go. Sarah, Danni, Jacob, and Jerry were joining them. Even Maggie was going mounted on Josh's horse Joey.

Daniel said, "I planned on ridin straight to visit a fellar but with everyone goin I reckon we ought'a take the long way." He refused to answer Josh and Red's questions about where they were going. With everyone enjoying the ride and the company and talking time seemed to go by fast. After about 30 minutes, Daniel said that they had just left the Maggie M.

"Whose place is this?" Josh asked.

"You'll see son. By the way see that spring yonder? That's the main start of Chico creek; it's a year round spring with sweet water. Just north of the spring would be a good house place. Next to the Maggie M, this spread has the best water in the area."

Josh and Red wondered why Daniel wouldn't answer their questions. They were also puzzled by the roundabout way they were riding. Josh shrugged his shoulders, grinned at Red, and rode closer to Danni. Anytime I can spend with Danni is a good thing, he thought.

They continued riding toward the northeast; Daniel pointing out features of the landscape as they rode. Another 30 minutes and he stopped again. Gesturing toward the foothills and mountains to the northeast he said, "The far boundary to this spread goes back into those foothills. There's lots of timber up there and lodge poles to use for corrals."

Topping a small rise, the group saw what was basically a large bunkhouse. An older man was sitting in front of the building and stood up as they got closer. He looked to be in his late 60s with salt and pepper hair and a big bushy gray mustache. The man had intelligent looking blue eyes and stood ramrod straight in spite of his age.

"Brought the whole clan to see me, did ya Daniel?" The man greeted all of the Maguires by name. "That's a fine looking animal you're ridin Jacob. Good to see you with your own horse. Danni I see you've got a new horse too; he looks strong. And Maggie it's always a pleasure to see you." He looked at Josh, Red, and Jerry. "Don't believe I know these three Daniel."

"No you don't Ambrose. This is Josh Kelly, Red McCall, and Jerry Barnes. Boys this is Major Ambrose Elliott," Daniel made the introductions. "He commanded my company during the war."

Josh and Jerry smiled and nodded at the man. Red sat straighter in his saddle and said, "It's a pleasure to meet you Major."

Ambrose smile at him, "Do I hear a Texas twang in your voice son?"

"Yes sir... grew up just north of Amarillo."

"Thought so," Ambrose said. "Had some military training too I'd guess from the way you sit your horse. Y'all get down and set a spell. I can offer you coffee or spring water; I'm fresh outta whiskey gents."

The ladies sat on the chairs offered and Ambrose joined them. "What brings y'all here, Daniel?"

"Thought you'd like to know that Sarah and Danielle are getting married. To these two here," he replied pointing to Josh and Red.

Ambrose congratulated the girls and then Josh and Red. "You boys are gettin the pick of the litter with these girls. Finest young women I've ever met."

The young men both nodded. Daniel waited a few seconds and asked, "You still planning on sellin out Ambrose?"

Ambrose nodded and Daniel asked, "How much you wantin out of the place, if you don't mind my askin?"

"Twelve hundred dollars. There's 640 acres; that's right at $1.88 an acre but it includes the cattle. Got 30 head that'll bring at least $12 each at the railhead in Colorado City. I just don't have the want to or energy to make another cattle drive. Gonna move to Denver to be close to my grandkids. You thinkin about buying it Daniel?"

"Might have a buyer for you, if the price is right."

"Who's this buyer Daniel? And why are you getting involved?"

"Bill Sanders over to the S Bar S," he answered. "I'm workin on another deal with him.

I'll let your buyer have the place for Eleven hundred dollars. Cash money, no loan for me to carry."

"Today's Saturday, will you give me until Tuesday to get things together?"

Ambrose nodded. "Okay business is over, let's visit a spell. I'd like to hear how you young people met."