The Trail West Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

For the next hour the group talked and Ambrose heard the story of how the Maguire girls met Josh, Red, and Jerry. Ambrose listened to Josh telling how Jerry held off two men to protect Danielle and turned to the youngster and said, "That took sand boy. Good for you."

The visit over everyone said good bye and mounted for the ride back to the Maggie M. Josh tried to question Daniel but he just said, "Wait until we get home and I'll explain everything."

Arriving back at the ranch, the men took care of the horses while Maggie and the girls made lunch. After eating Daniel called everyone outside.

"I've got an idea to run passed you three partners. Let me show you my thinkin." Daniel squatted down and drew in the dirt with a stick.

"This is the Chico Basin; it's sort shaped like an egg, lying on its side. Here at the west end is Fountain and almost directly east on the other end of the basin is the Maggie M. Just to the northwest and butting up against us is the Lazy L." He sketched a circle to show the Larson place.

"Over here on our northeast border is Ambrose's land." He drew another circle indicating that ranch. "And here to the east is the S Bar S. It butts up against Ambrose's place on its southeast border." Again he drew a circle.

"I talked to Bill Sanders the other day and we came up with an idea that might just work for everyone. If he can buy the Major's place he'd make you boys a deal on the Lazy L. He wants, or rather Nancy Larson, wants two thousand for the place. If you can put down $1100, Nancy will carry a mortgage for the $900 balance. She will give you three years to pay off the mortgage. Sanders will then use your $1100 down payment to buy the Ambrose spread."

"The Lazy L is smaller than the Major's place," Red observed. "It's just over 500 acres. If we wanted to buy a ranch why would we pay more for less land?"

"Yep, it's about 500 acres but it already has about 150 head of cattle and it can support more if you want to increase the herd. In addition there's a big house and several outbuildings on the ranch."

"Why would Mr. Sanders buy the Major's place?" Josh asked. "He already owns the S Bar S and controls the Lazy L."

"Ambrose's land has good water but not a whole bunch of grazing pasture; about a third of the acreage goes back up into the mountains. The S Bar S has lots of grazing but it's limited on water. Combine the two and you've got a real good spread. And Bill wouldn't have to travel a half day's ride to keep watch on the Lazy L."

"I'm surprised that Mrs. Larson would even think about doin business with us," Red remarked. "I mean it was us," he motioned at Josh, "that put Larson in prison."

Daniel stood from his map he had drawn in the dirt and looked at Josh and Red. "I asked Bill how she felt about dealing with you boys. He said that things between Nancy and Tom hadn't been the best, even before he started rustlin cattle. I think the Lazy L has some bad memories for Nancy and she just wants to get out," he added. He looked at the three young men for a few seconds and added, "I know this is a lot to think about, so take some time to decide if you're interested. But remember, I told Ambrose I'd let him know by Tuesday."

Red looked at his two partners. "That sure puts a big load in the wagon, don't it? I think we need to chew on this after supper." Josh and Jerry both nodded in agreement.

That afternoon Josh and Danni rode to the Lazy L to have a word with Charley White, the top hand. Josh knew Charley could handle running the ranch for a day or two but wanted make sure no problems had come up while he and Red were gone. After hearing from Charley that everything was okay, Josh advised him that both he and Red would be back about midday on Sunday.

While she and Josh were there Danni asked for a quick tour of the Lazy L and the ranch house, "It might just be my home in the near future."

After showing Danni the house and a small part of the ranch, they rode back to the Maggie M. He and Red planned on spending the night again. They felt they should include Jerry in the discussion about the possibility of buying the Lazy L. Did they even want the responsibility of owning and running a ranch? In addition the money situation needed to be addressed to see if it was even possible.

Sarah and Danni were helping their mother clean up after supper, but Maggie shooed them out of the house. "Go spend some time with your beaus," she suggested.

"Let's take a ride," Josh suggested. "There's a Comanche Moon tonight that'll throw a lot of light."

Danni thought it was a fine idea but Red and Sarah declined. They ambled down toward the barn and corral. Josh and Danni rode up to the spring that was the start of Black Squirrel Creek. It was almost two hours later when they returned and took their horses to the corral. As they dismounted Red came out of the barn carrying his saddle and put it on the top rail of the corral.

"Where's Sarah?' Danni asked.

"She's up to the house. I heard y'all comin and thought I help with your horses," Red replied.

The three of them quickly bedded down the horses and started back toward the ranch house. "It's none of my business but you might want to tuck your shirt tail in," Red pointed at Josh with a big grin. "And Danni you got some twigs in your hair you should probably comb out."

Josh blushed and helped Danni with the twigs; he also quickly tucked his shirt into his pants before they got to the house. Daniel, Maggie, Sarah, Jacob, and Jerry were all sitting or standing on the porch waiting for the three young people to join them.

Red walked over and put his arm around Sarah and said, "Reckon it's time to get to it boys. We've got a lot of talking to do."

Jerry said good night and he and Red started toward the bunkhouse. Josh was still standing next to Danni and saw the expectant look on her face. He gave a little smile and although it embarrassed him he leaned down and kissed her. "Good night honey," he said as he joined the other two.

Danni giggled, Daniel didn't know if he should frown or grin, and Maggie laughed out loud. "Good for you Josh," she said to him as he walked away. "No need to be shy now."

The three young men sat in front of the bunkhouse with cups of coffee waiting for someone to start the discussion concerning the Lazy L. No one spoke and finally Red started it off.

"I guess the big question is do we want to own a place instead of just workin for one. We've got good jobs the way it is Josh, but is that all we want? And remember if Mrs. Larson sells the Lazy L to someone else our jobs might not still be there.

Red turned and asked, "What'da you think Jerry?" The youngster was flattered that his two friends would ask his opinion. "We're partners: you've got a stake in this too."

"Owning a place would give us a home; we wouldn't be drifting anymore," Jerry replied. "I like the idea of having a home. How about you Josh?"

"I come up here to get away from the war; didn't have any plans to put down roots. Reckon that idea's run its course. I'm here to stay and I'd rather have my own spread than work on someone else's."

Josh saw the nods from Red and Jerry, and grinned at his two friends. "Well I reckon that tells us what we want to do. Now the question is do we have the money to do it? I think we do so let's see what we can put together."

Red motioned for Josh to go on.

"I got a little over six hundred in my account in town. I've been able to save most of my wages and money I earned for training horses; haven't had too much in the way of expenses. Red, how much can you put together?"

"Just over five hundred; most of that I brought with me from home. I haven't saved a lot from the $20 a month that Jerry and I split. Course I haven't had to pay anything for room and board either."

"Jerry, what about you?"

"Me?"

"You're our partner aren't you? If we're gonna do this you're part of it too," Josh answered.

"I got almost three hundred in my bedroll; you can have all of it," Jerry responded touched that he was included.

"Okay, I'll put in my six, Red you put in your five; Jerry we'll keep yours as seed money to help add stock and pay expenses until we can get our cattle to market. How's that sound boys?"

Red and Jerry smiled and nodded their agreement. "Didn't know you was a banker Josh," Red teased.

"The real question is can we pay off a nine hundred dollar mortgage in four years?"

With a smile at Josh, Red wagged his finger at him. "Let's do a little horse tradin with Sanders."

"Huh?" Josh said. "Horse tradin?"

Red nodded and said, "I know how you hate to buy on credit Josh. Remember that pistol you didn't want to buy; you wanted to wait until Mr. Hobart paid you? But I suggest we offer Sanders $1500 cash and maybe go to 17 ifin we have too."

"That sounds real good; it'd save us some money if Mr. Sanders took the deal. But how are we gonna get that much money?"

"There's over a hundred head of cattle ready to market leaving us 50 some head. We'll make our offer, give them the $1100 cash up front and agree to pay the rest of it after driving the cattle to the railhead," Red explained.

"We can use the cash and the quick payoff money to wipe out the balance owed to Mrs. Larson, and not pay as much for the Lazy L. Then we don't have to worry about a mortgage if we have an off year," Red finished with a Texas sized grin.

Josh and Jerry laughed at the please look on Red's face. "Yep, I guess we can horse trade some," Josh agreed. "The worst Mrs. Larson can say is no."

The next morning after breakfast Josh, Red, and Jerry were saddling their horses and getting ready to ride over to see Sanders and Mrs. Larson; they were going to make an offer for the Lazy L. Daniel was going with them as he was the go between with Ambrose. Before they could leave the Maguire women came to the corral.

"Saddle my horse will you Jerry?" Maggie asked.

"Josh will you help me saddle Sunny please?" That request came from Danni.

Daniel looked surprised and asked, "And where do you think you ladies are goin?"

Looking her father and then Josh in the eye Danni replied, "If the Lazy L is gonna be my home I think I ought to be in on it from the start."

"Well dang. Aren't you gonna saddle your horse Sarah?" Daniel asked his oldest daughter a little exasperated.

"Johnny's been saddled and ready since before breakfast Pa," she replied. "I'd planned to go even if none of y'all did."

Jacob came from the barn with two horses; he led his horse Puma and Sunny for Danni. Following right behind him came Jerry leading his other horse, Morgan. He handed the reins to Maggie and said, "Morgan's a good horse Mrs. Maguire; you'll like him."

Daniel started laughing and said, "Look out Bill Sanders; the whole clan is comin to get you."

It took the group a little over an hour to get to the S Bar S; they could have made it faster but the ladies had to stop at every patch of wild flowers to take a look and discuss whether to gather some to plant around the ranch house. Daniel was a little upset but Josh and Red chuckled and got to spend extra time with their ladies.

They found Bill Sanders sitting on his porch when they rode up to the ranch house. He stood smiling at the group. "Nancy, c'mon out; we've got company."

Nancy Larson hesitantly came out of the house. She wasn't sure how to react around Josh and Red; Nancy was concerned that they might blame her for her husband's actions. Both of the young men smiled and tipped their hats to her. When Nancy saw the Maguire women she smiled, and stepped out more confidently. "Welcome, get down and come into the house. I've got fresh coffee and some muffins I just took out of the oven."

Jerry and Jacob took an interest in the promise of muffins and took off for the kitchen. Maggie and her two daughters followed Nancy into the house. Sanders looked at the three men facing him and said, "Now I know y'all didn't ride over here just to be sociable so what's on your mind?"

Daniel motioned to Josh and Red to say their piece. Red spoke up, "Mr. Sanders my partners and I will give you $1400 for the Lazy L. Cash money."

"I couldn't take that for that spread. Nancy would have my hide if I sold it for that. But I could get her okay for $1800," Sanders replied. "And that's a fair price."

This time it was Josh that spoke up. "At that price, you'd have to carry a mortgage for three or four years. We'll offer you $1500 cash."

Red jumped in and said, "Mrs. Larson would get her money right now, or in about three months; instead of having to wait for years to get a few hundred dollars more. Were me, I'd rather have cash in hand instead of a maybe sometime down the line."

Nancy Larson had wandered back out onto the porch and was listening to the men dickering on a price for her ranch. "Bill, give the boys the place for the $1500 cash. Those two are about to get married and need a good start in life. Like the young man said, I rather have the money in hand than hope for more sometime later. Settle it Bill."

Sanders looked at his sister, gave a little smile, and said, "If you boys agree to $1500, you've just bought the Lazy L."

Josh smiled and shook hands with Sanders as Red let out a rebel yell. Jerry, Jacob, and the Maguire ladies run out onto the porch. "What happened?" Jerry asked fingering the pistol at his side.

"We got ourselves a home Jerry. No more driftin around," Red answered and gave another rebel yell.

********************

One month later all the details for purchasing the Lazy L were completed. Josh, Red, and Jerry gave Nancy Larson $1100 and she agreed to wait for the remaining $400 until after the fall round up. The boys would be able to take one hundred cattle to the railhead in Colorado City and clear over $1000 for the sale of their cattle; Mrs. Larson would be given the remaining balance from that profit. It also meant they hadn't had to use any of Jerry's money

Josh and Danni rode to the Chico Creek spring on the Maggie M for a picnic on a Saturday. After lunch Josh was sitting looking out over the country side, lost in thought. Danni was holding his hand and watched his face.

"Where are you Josh? Come back to me," she said with a smile.

"Sorry, I was just thinking. A year and a half ago I was alone and just passing time until I could go home. I'm not alone anymore and have a ranch that will be my, I mean our, home. It's sort of funny how things change."

"Good changes I hope," Danni replied.

Josh smiled and pulled her close. "Good changes."

"When do you want to get married, Josh?"

"How bout we ride into Fountain tomorrow and get married after the Sunday services at the church?" Josh saw the look on Danni's face and laughed. "Just teasing you honey, whenever you want to is good for me."

"Sarah and I would like to make it a double wedding. Would that be okay with you?"

"That's fine Danni. If Red agrees I'm all for it."

"I think we should wait until a couple of weeks after the spring roundup; things will slow down on the ranch and we'll have more time for us," Danni suggested.

Josh was impressed by Danni's thinking. She's already started thinking like a wife; doing things that are good for me and for our ranch. When they got back to the Maggie M, Danni ran into the house calling for Sarah. That evening at supper, Maggie and the girls started making definite plans for a mid May wedding.

The next morning Josh rode back to the Lazy L. Red had stayed at the ranch that weekend to ramrod some work; the jobs didn't require both men. Danni was still working in Fountain 4 days a week and was only home on the weekends. Sarah was back at the Maggie M as the school was out for the summer. Red offered to stay at the Lazy L so Josh could spend more time with Danni.

Josh had already talked to Jerry about an idea he had and now would talk to the other partner, Red. Jerry liked the idea and said "You ain't led us down the wrong trail yet Josh. I'm with you."

He found Red working at the largest bunkhouse; it would be modified to make another house on the property. Stopping at the door he saw Red had made a lot of head way on the conversion of the bunkhouse. He and Josh had put together some ideas on what they wanted to do. Red had marked the places that they wanted to cut through the log walls to add extra windows. Josh noticed that a trench had been dug for the foundation for the new room.

"Didn't know you were a carpenter," Josh said to get Red's attention. "Or that you knew how to use a shovel."

"I can do most anything I set my mind to son. You ought to know that by now."

"Well partner, I've got an idea I like you to set your mind to." Josh took about an hour to explain his plan and asked, "What do you think Red? Will it work?"

"I guess it's only natural that ridin with me would make you smarter," Red teased with a smile. Then in a more serious manner said, "It's a fine idea and yes, I think it will work. Now we just need to convince Daniel and Maggie."

The next day Josh and Red rode to the Maggie M for Sunday supper. It was more than just a chance to spend time with Sarah, Danni, and the rest of the Maguires. Daniel went onto the porch after supper and lit his cigar. Josh motioned for Red and Jerry to follow him and they joined Daniel on the porch.

Josh pointed at all three of the partners and said, "Daniel we've come up with an idea that maybe could help all of us."

Daniel looked at each of the young men, smiled at their seriousness, and motioned for Josh to continue.

"The Lazy L has the best grazing in these parts, but it's a little short on water. The Maggie M has lots of water but it's short of stock. We reckon it would be a good thing to join the two ranches."

Josh looked at Daniel to see how he took to the idea. Daniel didn't give his feelings away and said, "Go on Josh."

"If either place is going to do more than just get by, they both need to grow. Your place needs more stock and ours needs more water. We can get more cattle but we'd be short of water so let's join the herds." Glancing at Daniel, Josh went on, "If we got several hundred head we could move them between the better grazing and the better water." Josh stopped again to try to judge Daniel's reaction.

The older man stared at his soon to be son-in-laws and then grinned. "You know I was thinkin the same thing when you boys bought the Lazy L."

"I guess we're not as smart as we thought", Josh said.

Red chuckled and asked, "Why didn't you say something Daniel?"

"Wasn't my place to suggest my idea to you boys, at least not this soon. I didn't want you to think I was tryin to force you into anything just because you are marrying my girls. But I do think it's a good idea and would help both places."

"With respect Daniel, I'm about as stubborn as a Missouri mule," Josh replied grinning. "I don't believe Red or I could be forced into anything."

Daniel returned Josh's grin. "How do plan on sharing the profits, if we do join the ranches?"

Red spoke up saying, "Thought we might just have an even split between the Maggie M and the Lazy L. Reckon that'd be the best way."

"We've got a few things that need to be talked about before we do this," Daniel said. "Jacob and I can handle about 50 head of cattle by ourselves. Many more than that we'd have to hire some help and right now we can't afford the wages. Even if we could it would just eat into the profits."

"I thought about that very thing," Red replied. "Countin Josh, Jerry, and me we've got seven hands over to the Lazy L; add you and Jacob to the mix and we've got nine to work the herd. I know Jacob's young yet but he's good on that horse of his; he'd be a big help. Then I thought we'd move the men to wherever we need them; two or three of them could bunk over here. Heck if we get in a bind Sarah and Danni can ride as well as most men."