The Twelve Tables Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,532 Followers

"Ah, you're Nik," Andie said finally putting all the pieces together. "You have to play nice with Peri now, and you thought bringing me here just to insult me was an easy way to get at her and be able to deny it, like you did with Sabrina. You had no intention of taking anything I said seriously, did you, Veronica."

"Just remember what I said. You will never fit into my family. You will always be just an employee, there to serve your betters. Sabrina was wrong about one thing, though, you're not white trash you're something worse than white trash." Nik was standing over Andie and talking with a raised voice.

"Veronica," a deep male bass rumbled and both women turned and looked up into the stormy face of Charles Medici.

"It seems my timing is impeccable as always, sit down Veronica and don't you dare move a muscle," he scowled and turned to Andie. "I hadn't expected you to be here early, I'd planned to get a drink with my son before our dinner reservation." He kissed her cheek in greeting.

"I thought I was meeting a new client, but it seems that now that she can't bully Peri anymore she is trying to bully me. How do you know Veronica?" Andie asked.

"Our families, I'm her Uncle in the honorary title sort of way," Charles explained.

"I had no idea, why didn't you tell me?" Andie asked.

"I didn't know you knew Veronica," he chuckled. "If I told you the name of every person I was spuriously related to we would be talking forever."

"I told you to sit!" Charles growled in a deep threatening way as Nik attempted to stand and leave while he spoke to Andie.

"Uncle Charles this is a big misunderstanding. I was just upset about Josh, and I took it out on her. I'm sorry," Nik smiled sweetly at Andie.

"I'm not Peri. I won't let you get away with doing such horrid things for the sake of the man I love," Andie hissed. "You can't walk around threatening people you don't even know and then just say sorry, or deny you had anything to do with it. One day you are going to cross the wrong person and have to pay the price."

"Speak of the devil," Charles answered his phone listening more than speaking. "Ben's there with you? Yep, all good." He put his phone away.

"I'm so sorry, dear, I'm going to have to cancel, there's a family emergency, and I have to go. Why don't you call Josh and Peri and have dinner on me," he said regrettably.

"I'm sure they have plans and honestly after meeting with my last client, I am more than happy to head home and have a quiet evening," Andie looked meaningfully at Nik.

"We'll walk you out," Charles said taking hold of Nik's arm and following Andie to the entrance.

*****

"With privilege comes responsibility. You seem to have forgotten where you came from. The humble beginnings of your family and what they have done to become the powerful dynasty they are today," Charles lectured Nik. As soon as Andie had disappeared into the night he had secured the unsuspecting Nik with handcuffs and bundled her into his car threatening that if she made a scene, he would drive her directly to the farm and her father.

They drove to his home in silence and with the help of one of his sons, they took Nik to the basement and locked her in a specially constructed cell.

"Tell me one person who will speak on your behalf, one person that you haven't used or abused to the point where they would be glad to see you in this situation.

"Emilio," Nik said remembering that he had reached out to her at lunch. "Or Jules," she added thinking that her friendship with Bianca would count for something in addition to the fact that they didn't know what she had done to break up Josh and Peri.

Charles put his phone on speaker and called Emilio. He picked up after only a few moments.

"Hey Charles, what's happening?" Emilio was his usual upbeat self.

"I discovered Nik, going by the name of Veronica threatening my girlfriend and by association, her daughter this evening. You would know the daughter, Peri?" Charles asked.

"Fucking hell," Emilio swore, but his voice held disappointment rather than anger.

"I've secured her in the slave quarters here at my home," he paused as Nik began to shout.

"Lio you have to help me. Come and get me, please. He can't do this to me I am a Donati," she wailed loudly.

"You haven't listened to any of us Nik, so you're probably in the best place to think about why it is that I'm not coming to help you," Emilio's voice was hard as he spoke surprising Nik who felt as if she had been dealt a physical blow. "Charles, I'm not sure you know the whole story, D. and I will be over in half an hour or so to have a chat about it. I think we probably should have let you get involved before it got this out of hand."

"I'll be here," Charles looked at Nik as he hung up the phone. "Would you like me to call Jules before or after I hear what your brothers have to say?"

"Call him now," she ordered and at a look from him added a sugar coated "Please."

"Hello," Jules' voice shouted into the phone over the background noise of children playing loudly.

"It's Charles, I've secured Nik in the car and am taking her to the slave quarters at my home," he paused as Nik began to shout again.

"Jules you have to help me. Come and get me, please. I didn't do anything," she wailed loudly.

"What'd she do this time?" Jules asked obviously walking away from the noisy children to take the call seriously.

"I discovered Nik, going by the name of Veronica threatening my girlfriend and by association, her daughter this evening. You would know the daughter, Peri?" Charles asked.

"Sorry Nik, you crossed the wrong person this time. It was bound to happen one day. Now you have to face the consequences. We all tried to warn you, I doubt even Lio will bail you out this time, and if Josh finds out you threatened Peri again, well sucks to be you right now." Jules said unapologetically. "Call Dante, he knows the whole story, Ben's out of action tonight you can catch up with him tomorrow."

"Already on it, thanks," Charles looked at Nik. "Want to go for strike three?" He shook his head as Nik glared at him. "Alright then, I will give you the opportunity to tell me your version of events before your brothers arrive and tell me theirs."

Nik, of course, warmed to her subject after a tentative start. She explained how and why the little fat book nerd was not good enough for her brother and how she knew that breaking them up now while it was still early in their relationship would be far better for Josh than having her run away from the farm like Dante's fiancé did. She explained that everything she did was justified but also that she had never done half of the things they accused her of.

Her temper rose as she spoke of Josh's horrific and cruel treatment of her. The fact that he had been ignoring her in favour of spending time with Peri and every small incident right up until he had cut her off financially. At which point she was practically frothing at the mouth in her rage and indignation that he treat her so badly.

"You have spoken, and now it is my turn, and if you interrupt me I will gag you," Charles said in an angry growl.

"The men in this family are given trust funds to provide their future families with a good home, good education and the best of everything as you were provided with and continue to be provided with. Josh did not owe you anything. In fact, he will now have to work twice as hard to provide for his family as anyone else because you took what wasn't yours. You get a huge allowance, more than you could ever need each month, you would have married a rich man from a good family who has his own trust fund to provide you with a wonderful life and Josh will struggle to give his family what is expected because of your selfishness.

Yes, Nik, you are the one who is selfish and self-important and your brothers have let you treat them all very badly for long enough. You will wish that marriage and babies were in your future once you realise just how awful life can become for a woman that your father would be embarrassed to give to any family man or Patrician. You may be lucky and if you learn some lessons in humility a plebeian may come to your rescue but you will never again live the frivolous life you have been at the expense of your brother." Charles was livid.

"Your store and it's stock will be sold to pay back Josh some of what you took. I will discuss with your father whether you will stay here and learn your place in the world or if you will return to the farm in disgrace to live with the slaves there," he was unrelenting as she stared at him with pure hatred in her eyes.

"Papa won't stand for this, I am a Donati," Nik screeched at Charles as he stood to go upstairs and greet his nephews.

"No Nik you're not. A Donati would never have acted this way, and I doubt your father will allow you to bear his name only when it suits you to do so," Charles gave her a hard stare. "As far as I am concerned you are Veronica Maris, and it will stay that way until you can convince some poor fool to marry you." He walked away then leaving her caged and alone in the dark room.

*****

Peri and Josh walked into the chaos that was Jules and Bianca's house. There seemed to be children everywhere and within seconds, Josh had BJ scaling his legs to get up into his arms.

"We're having a party Zio!" BJ announced, and Josh hugged him tightly.

"I can see that," Josh laughed.

"You bought a girl with you," the little boy whispered and wrinkled his nose.

"This is the girl that can write the best letters to Santa so we gotta be nice to her," Josh said in a stage whisper.

"It's very nice to meet you," he said politely and stuck out a small hand in her direction.

"It's lovely to meet you too," she replied taking his hand and shaking it. "I need to find your," she paused unsure of the right word.

"Let's show Peri where Zia is," Josh chuckled and took Peri's hand giving his portfolio to BJ to hang onto. A soccer ball flew through the air past them and dropping Peri's hand Josh moved quickly to stop it and kick it back in the direction it came.

"Go and play," Peri laughed as Josh looked at her expectantly, "I can find my way I am sure."

"It's just through those doors," he pointed in the direction they had been heading and handed her the leather portfolio he had picked up from Ben's office. She was about to walk through the open bi-fold doors when she was stopped by twin girls.

"Who are you?" they asked in unison.

"I'm Peri," she said brightly. "Can you tell me where you Mama is?" She asked assuming that these were either Bianca's or Carmen's children.

"At home, you're probably looking for Zia. You're not selling anything are you?" They continued to block her path.

"No I came to help, I am a friend of your Zio, Josh," she answered deciding to be more specific than she had been when asking for Bianca or Carmen.

"Come on in, Peri," Bianca called out, "Move girls and let her through." Peri walked into what could only be described as a professional kitchen where Bianca stood watching Carmen supervise the staff in the creation of what seemed like a hundred calzones. "Come over here with me," Bianca held out a glass of wine to her, "Carmen's got it all under control."

When it was ready dinner was held at two long tables under the pergola which comfortably seated the six adults and fourteen children present. It was loud and fun with lots of laughter and teasing between the adults and children. Peri was amazed at how much the men doted on the children and gave them their full attention.

"Alright, you dastardly dudes, hand over my children or suffer the consequences," Ben boomed walking out of the house brandishing a nerf gun in each hand.

"Not so fast there partner," Josh growled standing up on the bench seat he had been sitting on, "I've got a calzone full of hot melted cheese, and I'm not afraid to use it." He waggled a soggy calzone at Ben. "You can take the girls, but the boy stays with me, mwahaha!" he looked down at BJ and winked.

"I don't negotiate with terrorists," Ben yelled back and opened fire on Josh, who fell back from the bench in a dramatic death scene. "Anyone else here got a problem?" he smirked as Rommy and Jules raised their hands in surrender and shot them anyway, he laughed evilly as the children all cheered and ran to greet him. Peri had never seen anything like it. Her parents had barely acknowledged her existence let alone played with her. She watched on happily as Josh sat back down beside her and wrapped his arm around her waist.

"Alright movies and ice cream with Nanny," Carmen announced herding all of the children from the table. "Better move fast if you want to finish it before we head home." She sat back down pouring Ben a glass of wine and placing a platter with the remaining Calzones on it in front of him.

"I ate with Emily before I came over," Ben waved away the food. "She wants the kids at home." He seemed tired as he ran a hand through his hair and picked up the glass of wine to have a drink."

"So number seven on the way huh?" Rommy clapped his brother on the shoulder. "Congrats, bro."

"Yeah, you and Emily make beautiful babies that's for sure," Jules added.

"What do you mean by beautiful, BJ is ruggedly handsome like his Uncle Josh," Josh grinned lightening the mood.

"That statement might work a bit better if he wasn't the spitting image of his father," Peri laughed. "I still think you're ruggedly handsome, though."

"Lucky you said that Wah-wah was about to start pouting," Ben chuckled feeling better being with his family. He could see the worry lining Carmen's face, and he reached out and took her hand. "I know you love her and now we know what we're dealing with we can make sure she gets the best possible help. Pete's gonna organise a live-in nurse, nanny and cook for us in the morning. She won't like it but it is what it is," he gave Carmen's hand a squeeze. "Plus we're going home for the holidays so Mama will look after her like no one else could."

"We'll keep her company, so she doesn't get any grand ideas about decorating nurseries and other things," Bianca said. "Peri can keep her in bed by smothering her with all that family history paperwork and then asking a gazillion questions," she teased.

"I wasn't that bad was I?" Peri blushed.

"At least, you did more work than Bianca," Carmen laughed at Peri's reaction and poked her tongue at Bianca.

"And we can all be grateful for that. The last time Bianca tried to bake even the dog wouldn't eat it," Jules doubled up as his wife poked him hard in the ribs. "You have other gifts, my love. I didn't marry you for your cooking skills." He winced.

"Why don't you give her a call and let her know the kids are having dessert," Ben suggested to Carmen.

"While you're doing that Peri and I will check on the kids," Bianca said standing, "The little ones will probably be ready for bed."

"I'll come help carry them if you need," Josh offered, "I don't get to hang out with them enough."

"Keep your hands off my son," Ben chuckled.

"Rommy will just replace him with one of his. He's got too many anyway and you'll hardly notice the difference," Josh grinned and walked inside with the women.

"Look, I know you've got enough on you plate right now but you should know Charles has got Nik in a slave pen," Jules said quietly. "D. and Lio are handling it."

"How did Charles find out? Pete said he wouldn't involve the old guard," Ben asked quizzically.

"Wait, how do you know this?" Rommy asked.

"That call I got earlier, was her bail out call. She ordered me to go and get her," Jules whispered sadly. "I said no when I found out why Charles had her," Jules admitted feeling some guilt about his lack of action on his sister's behalf. He looked toward the house to make sure Josh wasn't close by before continuing. "Charles has been seeing Peri's mother, Andie, and he had dinner plans with her tonight. Nik had organised to meet Andie as a potential new client called Veronica in the bar area of the restaurant before her dinner date. Charles walked in and heard Nik threaten Andie and Peri."

"Fuck," Ben growled.

"She was pretty upset at lunch," Rommy immediately made excuses for his sister. "She couldn't have been thinking straight."

"Jules did the right thing, she's out of control and needs a wake-up call," Ben rubbed his hands over his unshaven face. "I think it's for the best, we can't keep cleaning up her mess and Josh can't keep giving up the things he wants so she can live the high life. "It's probably best not to tell him until we find out what the verdict is."

"It's okay I know," Josh said quietly coming from the corner of the pergola that was just out of their line of sight. "Andie called us and told us what happened at the bar, and I surmised the rest. So I called Charles. I may have pushed her over the edge but you're right, she's been out of control for a while now."

"I'm sorry Josh," Ben said softly.

"You have more important things to worry about," Josh looked at his brother's face, and the worry lines etched deeply into it. "Despite all Nik's shit, I'm happy Ben, happier than I have ever been. I got the girl; these two suits are gonna get me my publishing house, and I have my first new author signed. Life is good! Go home and look after Emily and let those that can make a difference look after Nik, God knows you tried." Josh was hurting more than he cared to admit but he was doing his best not to let it show.

"Nanny has taken the little ones home, and I am about to follow her with the others. Do you want to help Ben and meet me there?" Carmen asked Rommy.

"No I'm coming, Josh can help Ben. I've had about as much as I can handle today," he stood stretching. "I think an early night sounds fabulous right about now."

"I'll take BJ," Josh smirked, and Ben rolled his eyes.

After some arguments about the movie not being over yet, Rommy and Ben managed to herd their children into their respective cars and head home while Peri watched on amazed at how child-like the brothers were themselves.

"We understand you're upset," Jules said quietly as he and Josh walked back inside. "You don't have to be so agreeable about what's happening."

"You know it's not about Peri," Josh said walking around the table to retrieve the portfolio he had left lying there. "I stopped being at her beck and call, and she was mad."

"We've all been on the receiving end of that over the last few years," Jules chuckled. "This went beyond her usual tantrums to get her way."

"This is a copy of what I gave Ben to look over," Josh said handing over the portfolio and changing the subject. "Most of it's on the hard-drive except their business prospectus and advertising."

"I'll look it over tonight and talk to Rommy in the morning," Jules took the case from him. "Come on in I think I still have some that brandy Andreas gave us left."

"Charles is expecting me," Josh said with a sigh.

"I thought Dan and Lio were handling it," Jules said in confusion. "I'll come with you," he offered.

"I'm good," Josh said. "It's not about me anymore. She threatened Charles' girlfriend Jules; the reason doesn't matter. I doubt there is anything we can do to help her now, or if anything we did do would have mattered," Josh said sadly, hearing Lucia's words in his head. "You did the right thing Jules, coming with me now won't change how you feel about saying no to her. I'll call you tomorrow, but if you could start on that tonight, I'd appreciate it," Josh pointed at the folio.

"Yeah, I'm on it," Jules chuckled. Nik was bossy and spoilt, but Josh could be just as demanding if in a more agreeable way.

*****

Leaving Peri in the care of his brothers and Charles he walked downstairs to confront his sister. Nik blinked as the light came on and turned toward the stairwell.

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,532 Followers