The Twelve Tables Ch. 27

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,529 Followers

"I can rely on you and Joseph can't I?" Peri asked knowing the answer.

"I hope you do, but even we have an agenda and a way of doing things we prefer," she admitted. "Before I retire entirely you need to discover your inner bitch and let her out for a stroll now and then when someone is pushing you to do something or stopping you from doing something you enjoy, like cooking for your husband and his family."

"Is this just a long drawn out way of asking me to cook tonight because Josh left his pasta at the chalet?" Peri tried to make light of the conversation which scared her a little. She had staff, and she could be in charge at work, but she found it very difficult to have that same self-assuredness at home with the people she lived with and cared about in a different way.

"Well yes, but I meant every word," Antonia laughed.

"This is supposed to be my weekend with Josh I think he had plans to hibernate in our room and pretend we weren't home at all," Peri blushed. "I'll tell him about your very persuasive suggestion though and see what he says. I have to admit though I was looking forward to hibernating with him."

"Everyone needs to eat including the two of you," Antonia smiled knowingly. "I'm sure you can have your afternoon delight and still find time to cook."

"Afternoon delight?" Peri almost spat the mouthful of juice she had just taken all over the table. "Mama!" she blushed deeply.

"What? The first time we met you told me that Joshua rocked your world," she smiled sweetly. "I was never more proud of him." She laughed merrily seeing Peri squirm uncomfortably. "Sex is a healthy part of life, you should enjoy it, there is nothing to be ashamed of. Papa and I have always had an energetic sex life. He still moves well for an old man."

"Too much information," Peri held up her hands giggling in embarrassment.

"You can hardly pretend to be a prude when you're openly sleeping with two of my sons," Antonia continued to laugh and tease her.

"I think I had better go and spend some time with my two sons if I am going to be having a busy afternoon," she continued to giggle. Peri stood and picked up her plate and glass to return them to the kitchen.

"Leave that, someone will come and get it," Antonia urged her.

"I like doing it," Peri shook her head with a smile. "You were just encouraging me to do things I enjoy."

The two women went downstairs together, and Peri wasn't surprised to find Josh wrapped up in an intense game with several of his nephews while Joseph watched on indulgently. Peri caught Joseph's eye and smiled, but Josh was so engrossed in what he was playing he didn't look up. Leaving him to his game Peri walked through the large living space to the nursery eager to see the three little people who filled her heart with joy.

"Zia Peri?" Angelina stopped Peri's walk toward the nursery. When she turned, she saw that Angelina stood with twins and a middle-aged woman.

"Hello, Angelina did you sleep well?" Peri asked with a smile.

"Yes thank you," she said with impeccable manners. "This is my nanny. Her name is Kathy," she introduced the woman who stood with her.

"I met Kathy when you all came to stay. It's good that you reminded me, though, I met so many people that day," again Peri smiled wondering if something was wrong by the way the woman looked at her nervously. "Hello," she addressed Kathy directly.

"Ma'am," Kathy nodded her head differentially.

"Is there something I can help you with?" Peri asked turning her attention away from the nervous woman back to Angelina and her sisters.

"School goes back soon, and Mama didn't get our books or check our uniforms before she got sick. I'm supposed to be going to Fairmont this year, and I have to go to orientation day next week, and I don't think Papa has remembered," Angelina babbled fast before Peri put up her hands stopping her.

"My gosh, I hadn't thought about school for you all because it's been summer holidays. We're very lucky Nonna is here this weekend. She would be an expert and help us to get organised. Nanny Kathy would you be able to get together with the other nannies and start making a list of the children, schools and grades. Also what is needed for those who will be going to school this year," Peri realised only about half of the children in her care would be school age. She realised she was about to get a crash course in the back to school rush that every parent went through at the beginning of the school year.

"Yes, Ma'am," Kathy nodded again and went to turn away.

"No hurry," Peri said thoughtfully, "We can't do much about it this weekend. So just a general idea is fine for today. We can make a more detailed plan tomorrow and decide on an action plan." Peri smiled again her logical brain taking over from the shock she felt at Angelina's announcement. School had been the last thing on her mind when she had agreed to look after the children for her sisters-in-law.

"Yes, Ma'am," Kathy's head bobbed again before she moved off.

"Would you like to come and tell me about your new school and orientation day while I cuddle my babies?" Peri asked Angelina and her sisters.

Peri walked into the nursery and smiled widely seeing her gorgeous little babies playing on the floor with a myriad of brightly coloured toys and rattles. She immediately sat down and kissed all three having to stretch to make the distance to Cruze who seemed determined to wiggle away. He was lifting his head now and kicking his feet, and she grinned delightedly.

"Eden is tiny like Timo," Angelina noted cocking her head to the side to study the babies.

"She has two greedy brothers, but I think when she gets bigger she will show them who the boss is," Peri said picking up her little girl and cradling her to her chest.

"No when they get bigger the boys will get everything and she will have to get married and live with another family," Angelina sighed

"She might choose to have a career instead of getting married and moving away," Peri said reasonably. "There's always choices Angelina."

"It's our duty, to the family. Like royal princesses we will get married off to a prince from another family table," she explained patiently. "Zia Nik said she was never getting married and look what happened?"

"Oh gosh, Angelina. Your Zia had a dreadful, dreadful accident. It wasn't because she wasn't married that she isn't with us anymore," Peri was aghast at the young girl's explanation of events.

"If she was married her husband would have protected her like Papa protects Mama and all of us," she smiled sadly. "I wish he could have stopped her from getting sick."

"I do too," Peri smiled sadly and reached out and touched her hand. "She'll get better, though. Your Papa will make sure of it. That's why you're staying with me for a little while. Why don't you tell me about this new school you're going to," Peri attempted to change the subject.

After hearing about the exclusive girls boarding school that the Donati family had helped establish in a semi-rural area away from the main cities Peri was fascinated by yet another side of this family, she hadn't known was there. She asked questions and was impressed by Angelina's depth of knowledge. She realised that young girl had been being indoctrinated into family law and custom since she could walk and talk and considered her little ones as they gurgled and played around her. How would she ever manage that side of things she wondered? A strange thought occurred her, and she frowned as she wondered if she wanted her children to be indoctrinated at all.

"This was my choice," she counselled herself. "Is it a choice I should inflict on them?" She thought about Josh and Dante and their love of family and the duty, honour and the respect they gave to all. They were generous and caring, the traditions and laws weren't so bad, and the family were philanthropic with the wealth, they didn't flaunt it the way some families did. She believed that all of those qualities were exactly what the boys should be learning as they grew up and matured into wonderful young men. It was Eden she worried about. Peri didn't want just to marry her off especially to a prince if that meant she would become a Martino. She shivered involuntarily remembering Josh's recount of the girl on the leash.

She only half listened to Angelina talk about going to check if Nanny Kathy needed a hand with her list and nodded as she remained and thought about the future of her children and their role within the future of the family. Surely they would become the next table of control freak chauvinists. She laughed knowing how wrong that definition was in reality, but even Joseph's daughters believed it to be true until they matured and married, all except Nik that is.

She wasn't sure how long she had been sitting there deep in thought and cradling Eden, but Josh appeared at the door, and Madeline came to take Eden who was now fast asleep and pop her into her cot.

"Hey you," Josh said softly taking in the sight of her sitting on the floor surround by the paraphernalia of motherhood.

"Hey," she looked up and smiled. "Have they crowned you king of the kids yet?"

"I've held that title since I was three," he proclaimed proudly walking in to help her to her feet.

"I think your big brothers might have let you believe you held the crown," she giggled teasing him. "From what I hear you had some pretty big tantrums if you didn't get your own way."

"I still do," he chuckled. "Speaking of getting what I want," he pulled her close and kissed her deeply leaving her breathless. "I think we should hibernate after lunch and forget the world exists for the rest of the day."

"As much as that sounds appealing in every way, we can't. Your mother has requested that I cook dinner tonight for you all because you complained about the leaving the pasta I made for behind," she shook her head but smiled at the compliment he had given her in a roundabout way.

"Tell her you'll make it another time," he shrugged.

"I did, and she started talking about having plenty of time after our afternoon delight. Then she started to give me details about her, and Joseph's sex life, and I just gave in," she grimaced.

"So we have afternoon delight to look forward to," he seemed to renegotiate his agenda in his mind.

"While that would be lovely, I'm afraid I have to have a quick meeting with the children who are returning to school next week and their nannies and reassure them all that I will make sure they have everything they need just as if their mothers were here. I don't think we took into account how much Carmen and Emily's absence would affect them all," Peri said sadly.

"You aren't even supposed to be here, we were going away," Josh huffed.

"I know but we are here and being here means we're responsible for everyone under our roof. We can't just ignore everyone and hibernate. We have obligations now that we are home," she felt like accusing him of being the one that was homesick and brought her home early when she had been reconciled to having time away from her children but she held her tongue calmly explaining what she needed to do.

"There are people to do those things for you, that's why we have nannies and cooks so that you are free to do things for me," he said in a husky voice pulling her closer.

"It's not that simple Josh. I've suddenly become a mother to fifteen children, and they need some reassurance that everything will be fine, that we won't forget any of them. As far as the cooking goes, I have yet to see you say no to anything your mother asks so don't expect me to," Peri laughed trying to lighten the mood, wary of not doing as he asked.

"Fine," he groaned, "But there will be consequences." Josh was struggling to swallow the anger he felt rising in him again.

"Oh?" she looked up at him with heated interest and placed a hand on his cheek. He bent his head to kiss her and wrapped his arms around her, and she knew the consequences would be enjoyable. Just like yesterday she had expected his temper to rise instead, he seemed to accept her apologetic explanation well, possibly too well and that worried her as much as facing his anger had.

"Yes, it's a bit early for lunch still but let's go up, and you can tell me about what it is the children need and why you have to be the one to organise it," Josh said. His voice was even and unemotional, but she could tell he wasn't happy by how tense his body felt as she continued to embrace him.

*****

The cruiser manoeuvred around the north side of one of the larger islands in the bay. The men had decided that they had best come within range of a telco tower so they could be reached if necessary. A strange message from Josh had concerned Dante, and he had subtly put the thought into his brother's minds that two nights out of contact might be a little foolhardy given recent events.

He had been enjoying strengthening the bonds he had with his brothers but hearing that Josh and Peri were home instead of away on their weekend alone had bothered him more than he would admit to anyone besides Josh himself. He needed to know what had happened to bring them home immediately rather than staying away even one night. He knew he would never pass up some alone time with the woman he loved and found it hard to believe something else wasn't behind the decision to return.

"D., what's up?" Josh answered his phone and stood up from the lunch table walking away from the curious glances and ears.

"We're just off Tangalooma, thought we might hit the beach tonight," Dante said easily. "What are you doing home? I thought Peri had a romantic getaway planned for the two of you."

"She did, we were there. We missed the babies," Josh said just as easily. "So we came home to cuddle the kids, no reason we can't hibernate in our room here and still be alone." He didn't even sound convincing to himself as he said it.

"Okay, well I got the boys to agree to come back into the bay tonight by telling them we need to be in contact because of recent events. The reality is I want to know what happened and why you're home. So unless you want me back there looking into your eyes as you try to lie to me you better just tell me what the hell happened," Dante demanded realising honesty was the only thing going to work with Josh at this point. His concerns stemmed from Josh's well-known temper and the fact that Peri had been away for the night with him while Josh had been worried sick about her in Sydney. Dante was concerned that he was punishing her in an unpleasant way.

"I don't like surprises," Josh sighed softly so he couldn't be overheard. "She should have told me what was happening. I could have told her what would happen. It was silly to think she wouldn't get homesick being away for so long."

"Fuck," Dante exploded. "So you ruined all her plans by using the babies as an excuse?"

"It's not an excuse," Josh bristled and stomped off toward the study with his parents and Peri watching him go. "She cried saying she didn't realise how much she would miss being able to go and see them whenever she wanted."

"Alright, I believe you. Keep your pants on," Dante said relieved that it had been Peri who had wanted to go home. "So why are you in such a bad mood then, if this is what you both wanted. Shit, I was just asking. You gotta admit I had reason to be worried."

"Fuck off, you know I'd never punish her for something she didn't know would happen," he grumbled. "Papa forced her not to tell, and she didn't know she wouldn't have phone reception. You could have fucking called before you left the bay."

"Whether we had reception or not was the last thing on my mind," Dante admitted. "So hibernate in our room and let Mama take over as if you weren't there."

"Yeah well, what I want and what the family demands are two different things," Josh said tersely. "Have you met Peri? The family say they need her and guess how much time she has for me."

"You're fucking pouting aren't you?" Dante accused.

"Am not," Josh grumbled. "I thought she would be happier and more relaxed here. Turns out she's more stressed and busier than ever. Even Mama is making requests of her." He knew he sounded petulant, but Dante didn't deserve his anger any more than Peri did. His talk with his father had made an impression, and he was trying to reign in his baser, selfish nature where Peri was concerned.

"What's so important she can't put it off for a day or two?" Dante let out a long breath hearing the anguish in Josh's voice at having been proven wrong about Peri happier and abler to relax at home without the worry of missing her children.

They spoke for almost an hour about the issues with the children returning to school and their Mother's lack of understanding about their need to spend time by themselves, even though they had come home. They came up with a plan of their own that they believed would not only be good for Peri and the children but for themselves and their brother as well.

Dante hung up feeling better about not being there for both of the people he loved. His mind went immediately to Peri, and he imagined her as she was here on the boat with him. He felt an overwhelming need to talk to her but waited the allotted fifteen minutes he had given Josh to let her know and have her leave the table to call him. He stood and walked out onto the deck where his brothers and uncles sat relaxing and talking about where to fish that night.

He was deep in murmured conversation with Vincenzo who he needed to be able to carry out the plans he and Josh had made for the following day when his phone rang making his face split into a wide grin.

"I'll umm let you know the rest once I've taken this call," Dante said happily and walked back toward the salon.

"I miss you already," Dante said by way of greeting as he answered the phone call from Peri and tried to ignore the jibes from his brothers as he walked through to the other side of the boat.

"I miss you too," Peri smiled into the phone. "It's been weird. I miss having you around to interject when things are weird."

"Weird how?" Dante asked, concern creeping into his voice.

Peri confided that at the very least she had expected a lecture about being out of contact and not where she was supposed to be. She also explained how when she had told him about needing to sort out the kid's school requirements and cook dinner he hadn't even batted an eyelid, but his body language had told her that he was not happy even though he didn't show it overtly. They talked about all the things she felt she needed to deal with and how bad she felt that being home meant being available to everyone, not just Josh and her babies.

As she spoke, she felt herself relax and realise just how much she had come to rely on Dante in her day to day life. She tried not to bother Josh with that side of her life whereas Dante seemed interested in even the boring details of her day when they spoke.

"Once everyone goes to bed tonight you owe it to Josh to give him your full attention," Dante said quietly. "He's trying very hard to be everything to everyone at the moment, chair, father, husband, brother, son. It's not an easy thing for either of you but probably harder for him because of who he is. He's a good guy at heart. He's trying his best, but he needs our support."

"I'm..." Peri began to tell him that she was trying too but realised she would sound defensive. "You're right," she agreed "I'll be there for him I promise."

"It's okay to miss me while you're at it," Dante teased finding it hard to hear the uncertainty he assumed her stuttered answer to be.

"I do." She said softly. "I'm falling even more in love with everything new little thing I learn about you."

"You make me a very happy man. I love every inch of you inside and out." He said in response to her words his heart singing. "Now go and do what needs doing so you can be there for Josh tonight. He's under a lot of pressure right now, and he needs you more than anyone else in that house."

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,529 Followers