All Comments on 'The Unfair Exchange'

by nageren

Sort by:
  • 16 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Good story.

I don't usually read "student swaps sex for grades" stories, but this had a nice twist on the usual and was well written too. Very good.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Not badly written

But there was simply no joy in Mudville. Just wasn't fun or interesting to read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Ugh

The story is well-written, concise, and seems realistic. Your warning at the beginning, though, is just as on-point. I don't like the main character and, like his post-event reaction, I feel disgusted by the content. There are likely events with a similar substance, if not plot, in the world. I expect that doppelgangers aren't very common, but the non-consent portion of the story and the girl's reaction are common enough on a college campus - and I doubt that a year goes by that the situation isn't repeated somewhere.

The part that impresses me most about this story is that it's not a "stroker." You don't read this for enjoyment, or even education. I'm not entirely sure what you do read it for. I am, however, impressed by its honesty.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago

Couldn't like it. I'm a college professor deeply protective of his students. Protagonist is a despicable human being.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Creepy story...

...and that's a good thing. So much non-consent material glorifies the topic. I usually don't read them but I liked the cautionary flavor of this one.

At first I wondered if it was Gareth telling the story. As far as I'm concerned they both could have their balls cut off.

MitchFraellMitchFraellabout 9 years ago
A good story well told

But a very uncomfortable tale all the same.

XJ347XJ347about 9 years ago
5 Stars

Thank you for one of the better stories on this site!

I find it funny that people find this uncomfortable and rate it low for that. This is what non-consent should be! It's realistic, and makes rape not glamorous and it's impeccably written! It's ok if you got off on her misfortune, that vacuum of power is very potent sexually speaking. Just because this should never happen in reality doesn't mean you can't get off on it via fiction. Rape in reality is bad, but that doesn't mean women or men should feel bad about having rape fantasies. By definition fiction isn't real.

Angela5985Angela5985about 9 years ago
more

Thank you nageren for writing this story for me definitely one of the best stories I've read on non con in a while! Your an amazing writer and I truly love all your stories. I hope you plan on continuing Joelle story and I look forward to reading your next story!

GaiusPetroniusGaiusPetroniusabout 9 years ago
5 Stars

It is disappointing to find that so many of the folks who feed off this site (I'm one of 'em!) judge the quality of a story only by the standard of titillation. This is most certainly not a titillating story. (Sorry, XJ347, but I feel pity for anyone who got off on this story.) The author has been forthright in his intentions. As he said at the outset, Non/Con is a new category for him, and so he's spreading his literary wings. And he took up the category at the request of a specific reader!

This story deserves, imho, 5 stars for the quality of the writing (the "Lit" part of LitErotica). It is a superbly plotted, expertly crafted, and well executed. (It's not, again imho, not impeccable but the quibbles are on the order of flyspecks versus pepper -- and on the whole I prefer my pepper without flyspecks.)

Unfair Exchange is best appreciated when set against More Than a Substitute. UE flips MTaS. Each one's plot rests on a mistake of identity. MTaS is, in multiple respects, a tale of how love breaks through tragedy; it is sweet and uplifting, and genuinely earned the high scores it garnered. UE is a story of power and its abuse and how abuse tries but fails to masquerade as love; it is dark and sour, and deserves better marks than it's received so far. It should be appreciated as another fine example of nageren's artistic prowess.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
awesome write

Like some said below; this is a well-developed plot and story.

I love this.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago

Ths is so beautiful, looking forward to your writings!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago

This feels so real. Totally in love with your works. Do more non con!!!! (But with happy endings/ leads to romance pretty please) :)

crazycujocrazycujoover 8 years ago
A Gem

A gem of a story by a gifted writer, but an ending that sucked in my opinion. 1* for that!

Prolonged_Debut10Prolonged_Debut10about 8 years ago
Not Sure

I am uncertain if it was the subject matter, or the way it was written, but this story did not flow as well as many of your others. As usual, your prose was perfect, but something was missing; maybe it was 'Soul.' I cannot put my finger on it, but something was missing."

nagerennagerenabout 8 years agoAuthor
@Prolonged_Debut10

What was missing, perhaps, was the rest of the story. I've often wondered if I should have saved this story for a longer series on Joelle. What adds a little of the "soul" is knowing what becomes of the baby she conceived that night (see the end of my A Strange Arrangement series), but also (in a story I've yet to write) knowing where Joelle's path takes her. How she learns to cope, to forgive, to heal, and to become a healer. But I haven't given you that story here, I've only given you one dark chapter (though it's not nearly as dark as tales from earlier chapters of Joelle's life would be).

Also, if these stories were movies, there would be a scene, perhaps in "Love in the Age of Chemicals" (because of the significant thing Joelle and Miranda have in common) where two characters are dining in a restaurant, and in the background, on a TV screen, we see Darius Allen's mug shot - convicted of raping a student at his next job.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Well written, but...

This was a well written story, but quite difficult and not enjoyable to read. A desperate, beaten down girl who has the gross misfortune to meet a narcissistic, conscienceless (no matter the thin veneer of guilt he claims to feel after the fact) opportunist rapist. It was realistic. She was so obviously unwilling, and only her desperation made her stay compliant. Kudos for not turning this into a 'magic dick' story. You said your narrator was unlikable, well yes, that was an understatement. The guy was lower than pond slime, and I felt a little sick at his actions. The fact that as well as rape he wouldn't use protection, somehow, made it so much worse. Even at the end, his thoughts are still self pityingly about himself. His admission of guilt for basically ruining this girl's life is laughable, and I was left with an intensely strong need to geld the asshole. As I said before, well written, but not enjoyable.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usernageren@nageren
I try to write realistically- describing believable people in plausible situations. None of the characters is "me," but many of them represent aspects of my personality and history. My hope is that, as you get to know my characters, you will find yourself thinking-...