The Uprising: The Complete Story

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Daniels."

"Lt. Colonel, I need your assistance. Two of my team are injured; another one is captured as well as injured. I need the floor plans for the entire block ASAP. Is this attainable sir?"

I held my breath, I knew that if I was going to get Michaels back that Lt. Colonel Daniels was the only option I had.

"Absolutely Captain Romano. I'll have my men gather the documents and send a helicopter your way. Send your wounded back here, I'm sending you ten of my best men and women on the helicopter. Stay safe, I'll have my men out there in no more than twenty minutes."

The line went dead and I let out the breath I had been holding.

Thank god, I'm going to need all the help I can get.

Chapter 3

My head was spinning with everything that had happened in the last twenty minutes. One of my best team members was captured after being shot by escapees and a second team member of mine was also shot requiring hospitalization. This alone was enough to send me reeling into a downward spiral, but throw in the fact that my, recently acquired, boyfriend was sitting in a hospital bed in an underground shelter and my head was threatening to explode right off of my shoulders.

Good news came that lifted a small amount of worry off my shoulders, Edward was in fact doing better and was up and starting to move around. After fearing I might lose him before he were ever mine almost killed me and that was only a few days ago. I don't even want to think about what it feels like to lose the only person in the world who knows of and trusts in my visions and doesn't criticize me for them. He's also the only person I have ever cared about enough to let inside my crazy world. It just so happened that I fell in love with the beast of a teenager the day he saved me from wearing a blood soaked shirt all day in high school, my heart was forever his after that day and continues to be so.

My mind wandered back to the day Edward made me confess what was causing my nose bleeds and headaches. Finally having been fed up with my constant cover ups for the nose bleeds and headaches, Edward pushed me into his bedroom and locked the door, further preventing my escape since he stood between it and me.

Flashback

"Damn it Ria, no more lies! What's wrong with you that makes you get these headaches and shit? Is it something I should worry about because as of right now I'm scared shitless because you won't tell me a fucking thing and I can't take it anymore!"

My body shook slightly with excitement at the thought of being pinned to the wall by Edward but shook more so with the fear of losing his friendship over my visions. I sighed in defeat, there was no way out of telling him without pushing him away and I most definitely did not want to push him anywhere but to his bed, which isn't happening because I'm frozen to this spot with anticipation damn it.

"Fine, I'll tell you but I don't want one word muttered of insanity or lies because I'm telling the truth and I refuse to be treated any different than you treat me now. Got it?"

Edward nodded his agreement and eased off of me a bit almost bringing a moan of disappointment along with his movement.

"God, you're going to think I'm insane but I guess this was going to happen eventually. Alright, so I have visions. Visions that allow me to see what will most likely happen in the near future. They can happen during the day or during my sleep, which is where they are strongest because nothing interferes with them in my sleep. They can be overwhelming sometimes but are usually controllable. Close your mouth before you're eating bugs Edward, it's really not attractive on your handsome face."

He snapped his mouth shut and stuttered with his words before forming a complete sentence that actually made sense.

"Let me get this straight, you have visions that allow you to see into the future and they cause you to have nose bleeds?" He shook his head, "I'm a little confused but I know you better than to think you're lying. Care to explain a little more, I mean can you choose what you see or is it random?"

"First of all, the visions themselves don't cause my nose bleeds, ignoring the visions for long periods of time cause the nose bleeds which also causes the headaches. Second, no I can't choose what I see, but its not completely random either. I mean, I only see people I actually know somehow, whether they be directly linked to me or through a friend of a friend."

I trailed off as his eyes grew as big around as teacups.

"Holy shit, that's how you knew for me not to get on that damn bus for the away game last week! The bus wrecked just outside of town while the driver had a seizure, my god Ria you saved my life!"

"That was the general idea there Einstein." I said with a grin and his smile matched mine.

End Flashback

My communicator vibrating sky rocketed me out of the conversation with Edward, and thoughts of how he had immediately accepted my visions, and brought me back to the real world

"Romano."

"Captain, its Stephens I just wanted to let you know that we have the blue prints for the entire block. They are available back at the shelter as you requested."

"Thank you Stephens, I'm on my way now."

I ended the call and made my way towards the underground shelter that not only held my team but also all wounded, including Edward. My heart skipped as I thought of seeing him again, hopefully without the tubes, I hated seeing him look so vulnerable. I slid through the shadows of the street noticing movement on my way towards the shelter.

What the hell is that, a limo?!? Why is there a limo out in the middle of town while there are escapees holding the city hostage?

I made my way slowly towards where the limo was parked, noticing the building it was currently stationed in front of as well as a few inmate uniforms scattered about the area. Cliché much, for the love of god they are hiding in the damn sun sphere! I pulled out my communicator and made a quick dash for an alley not too far away.

"Stephens, I think I've caught a break in the case. I'm not coming straight there, in fact I want you to grab the team and gather in my office immediately. Say nothing to anyone that's not part of our team. I'm calling the Lt. Colonel and then I'm heading to my office."

"Yes Ma'am, I'll gather everyone now and we will be waiting in your office per your arrival."

I dialed the Lt. Colonel and asked him to join my team in my office immediately and was eternally grateful he was able on such short notice. Silently, I slide my communicator into its holster on my belt and slid into a doorway in the alley. The escapees scattered around the sun sphere and limo all stopped talking when the passenger of the limo appeared causing me to choke down a gasp at the sight of the muscular man emerging from the limo.

Son of a bitch it's that rat bastard Hutchinson! Why didn't anyone think to link this to him? He's been slowly getting rid of every officer at the jail that doesn't agree with his ideas, of course I have no solid proof of this which is exactly why he isn't behind bars himself but damn it I should have known!

Grabbing my communicator, I switched on the video feature and recorded Hutchinson shaking hands with the escapees and making his way into the sun sphere with them voluntarily.

I've got proof now you bastard, you're not getting away from me again I'll make damn sure of it.

When I was sure Hutchinson was in one of the suites of the sun sphere, I scanned the remaining escapees and noticed something that made my heart flutter in excitement. Standing idly off to the side of the street was someone I knew very well from putting his ass in jail quite a few times. Oh yes, my day just got extremely better because now, I've got the perfect way to get the inside scoop on this scandalous operation. And my in is currently looking for a way out. The look in Tony Sterling's eyes made it clear that he wanted out from under Hutchinson's rule quickly. Being a well-known rat probably didn't bode well for Sterling's popularity with Hutchinson after all. Knowing what I had to do next made my body relax slightly knowing that I would succeed without any problem. I had to lure in Tony "the rat" Sterling and I had the perfect bait in mind.

Thank god for small favors. Tony Sterling noticed me from the corner of his eye when I allowed myself to be seen a mere twenty feet from his current post. See, even though I had been the one to put Sterling in jail, we had no hard feelings since it was to protect his boney ass and he practically begged me to bury him under the jail so that none of his old 'business partners' could reach him.

***

I finally reached my under ground office a short twenty minutes later, a trip that should have taken less than ten but with an extra passenger so to speak, it took a bit longer.

"You know the drill, keep your eyes down and your mouth shut until I say otherwise."

That's all that needed to be said and I knew he wouldn't mutter a word until then because his safety was on the line.

We entered my office and all eyes grew wider with the realization of who exactly I had with me. Stephens fought to contain a knowing smile as I made my way to my desk, locking the door behind me.

"We obviously have a quest and I'm sure a few of you have already met. I want to start with something else first, everyone take out their communicators and watch the video I've sent you."

The quiet of the room was broken by sudden gasps of realization and a few groans of disgust. Once all eyes were back on me, I continued addressing my team and Lt. Colonel Daniels.

"And now you see where our guest comes in at. Where are the blue prints, we need to devise a plan of rescue immediately, especially since we know who is behind the situation."

I was interrupted by Tony Sterling, which surprised me because he doesn't usually speak until I've formally addressed him.

"You better hurry, he knows who she is and who she's working for and he plans to torture her then kill her just to spite you. She's not where you think she is, she's in the building you were running your outfit from the day she was captured. Top floor, suite three. She's guarded but not heavily, since he didn't think you'd check there. He's one sick bastard."

He paused to let his information sink in, "Last I saw, she had lost a lot of blood from her gunshot wound and he had tried to beat information out of her. I'm sure you know how well that went over, you should be proud, she never even whimpered."

He hung his head ashamed. His sudden outburst said and done with, he stared at the floor silently while I issued my orders. I assigned Stephens, Johnston, Fisher, Trent and Collins to finding an alternate route into the BB&T building as well as preparing everyone for the swoop. Lt. Colonel Daniels pulled me aside to ensure his men would be ready in less than fifteen minutes and were being informed of the situation as we spoke. I thanked him and made my way over to Andrews, Brock and Jacobs.

"Andrews and Brock, you two head over to the conference room and pull all the information you can on James Hutchinson and prepare to present what you've found as well as what I've shown you in the video to the rest of the squad."

The two men bound from the room leaving only Jacobs to my left. He was silent, knowing what was coming. I sighed and pulled myself together.

"I know boss, I'm pulled from this mission because of my emotional ties. I understand completely."

I couldn't help but feel like an asshole for pulling him from the swoop even though it would be dangerous for him to be involved.

"I'm honestly sorry I can't allow you to go Jacobs, I would be a wreck if it were..."

"The Deputy Chief? Yes, I know ma'am, you got that look when you saw him laid out with all the tubing the other day. I had a feeling before then, but that day solidified my thoughts. I hope you aren't upset that I said anything; you know there's no reason to hide it though don't you? I mean, everyone in the entire squad has been wondering when it would finally happen to be completely honest with you ma'am."

I stared at him shocked for a moment, then busted out laughing at the idea of everyone seeing it but Edward and me. Hell, I wonder if Edward knew and just didn't push me into it knowing how big of a mistake that would be!

"No worries Jacobs, I've loved that damn fool since high school but you keep that bit to yourself, hear me?"

"Ma'am, yes, ma'am! You've got my word on that, you know too many things on me for me to do something that stupid!"

He laughed out the last bit which relieved me slightly. I knew he had been a mess and hadn't slept a wink since the last mission which led to his fiancée being captured.

"You know I'll bring her back to you don't you? I'll do everything I can to ensure it Jacobs, I mean that."

"Yes ma'am, she speaks highly of you from your college days together you know? If I didn't already work for you, she pretty much would have sold me on switching jobs by the way she talks about your leadership. Damn it, now I sound like a kiss ass but I swear its all true Captain."

"It's Ria, Jacobs, I'm only Captain or ma'am in front of the suits so cut it out. Go catch some sleep in one of the empty beds. There are a lot to choose from thank god. We have a while before the swoop; you know where to find me."

He laughed as I made my way to Edward's cubicle, happy to find him resting peacefully minus any tubing but a small I.V.

I curled up beside him, opposite the I.V. of course, and snuggled into his strong wide chest. I suddenly realized just how tired I was and was soon lulled off into sleep by the beating of Edward's strong sturdy heart beat.

***

At twenty-four, James Hutchinson was a handsome officer on his way to the promotion of his dreams. He worked hard everyday to cover what a true monster he really was; his wife wore the brunt of his anger and aggression hidden under her long sleeves and jeans. Even with his credible job title and the badges of honor that decorated his dress blues, I could tell something was off about him. None of the females on the force dared to be alone in a room with Hutchinson, married or not he was handsy and demanding.

Growing up in a relatively small town made knowing a majority of the population a bit easier. When twenty-one year old James Hutchinson married my then best friend, seventeen year old Jennifer Buckner, I was excited and hopeful for my best friend. Of course, being sixteen at the time made me a little dense to the situation at hand. I had noticed the way James would look at the girls at mine and Jennifer's work, the local grocery store Bates' Grocery, and I would also notice the heated glances between a few of them. At the time, I thought nothing of it because James Hutchinson was in fact a handsome man. Standing just barely over six feet tall, his buzzed hair cut made his green eyes pop and his muscular arms and shoulders made every girl stop and stare and damn it if James Hutchinson used every bit of it to his advantage.

At twenty, Jennifer announced that she was expecting their first child and beamed a happy glow of excitement. Two months later, I was working one of my first shifts on the force as a rookie answering domestic calls when I was sent to the Hutchinson family home. The sight that met me there still haunts me to this day, Jennifer lie motionless in a pool of blood in her living room floor. James was being stitched up from a blow to the head by one of the 'attackers' that had invaded his home.

That was the day I changed forever. Changed into the harsh, hidden person I am today. Jennifer's murderers were never found, but I knew it hadn't been just anyone, no, it was Hutchinson but I wasn't sure why at the time. I watched as my best friend and her unborn child were laid to rest in the cemetery a few blocks from my home and silently swore to be strong for her.

James Hutchinson was twenty-six when he was released from the police force for disorderly conduct. No one really knows what he does now, but at thirty-two years old I know he's a cold-hearted killer that's about to be brought down. And when he goes down, I'll be the one he's looking up at.

***

Dream sequence: present day

"Ria, my god you look good girl! Come here, let me get a good look at you, I haven't seen you in years."

I knew it was a dream before I even saw her, but my eyes threatened to spill the tears forming when she brought me in for a hug. She was warm and life-like and just as happy as the day she announced her pregnancy.

"J-Jennifer, is that you? You look good too, how are you?"

I looked her over and noticed there was no slightly rounded bump to her belly anymore but there was still the glow to her warm sun-kissed skin.

"I think we both know I'm great, Ria. Do you want to see her? She's beautiful Ria; I wish you could have really met her."

Jennifer turned and walked to a pink bassinet that I hadn't noticed before and walked over holding her beautiful baby girl. She smiled and handed the small bundle to me excitedly. I gazed down on the beautiful little creature that was a perfect blend of Jennifer and James. Jennifer's blonde hair was in ringlet curls while James' green eyes shined brightly up at me from the pink blanket.

I smiled and whispered down to the bundle softly, "Hi there little Angel, I'm your aunt Maria."

A soft chuckle brought my eyes from the beautiful green ones smiling at me up to meet Jennifer's blue ones.

"I knew you'd remember. I've had that name picked out since I was twelve. I've missed you so much Maria, but we've been watching over you. I'm so proud of what you've become little Ria, but you've got to open up a little more with Edward. He's loved you since high school, just as you have him so let him in and stop worrying that he won't want the real you. He knows you better than you do if you want the truth."

My eyes burned with unshed tears again as I listened to her voice and noticed a sing-song quality to it that I found fitting. I handed back the small bundle known as Angel and waited for what I knew was coming. Her body kept up the relaxed happy emotions as our conversation switched to what was for sure the last thing I wanted to currently think of.

"Be safe Maria, he's pure evil and he's not afraid to hurt you to get what he wants. He knows you suspect him of my death and knows you'll reveal the truth eventually. I have faith in you Ria; I know you can handle bringing him down for everything he's done and currently doing. Don't be sad for me Maria, we're safe now and we love you. Your parents and I are with you in your heart forever, please don't forget that."

"Please don't go just yet, I've missed you so much and I'm not ready to let you go yet."

She smiled sadly at me and cupped my cheek in her hand.

"I'm not ready either Ria, but we'll never really be ready. Just remember that we all love and miss you, don't you dare forget that."

A tear streamed down my face as the scene disappeared before me and I awoke to Edward's arms wrapped around me soothingly. I buried my face in his chest as the tears finally broke free. Edward never said a word, knowing that words wouldn't help me, but placed soft kisses on my head and rubbed small soothing circles on my back while I finally grieved for my best friend and niece.

***

Chapter 4

I gathered my team and went to work on finalizing a plan on how to successfully breach back into the BB&T bank without being detected by the escapees that are keeping Michaels hostage. We quickly determined that going in through the basement parking garage and sneaking up the stairs was the best tactic since they were not heavily armed, nor expecting our attack. A team of 10 followed behind me as we snuck into the parking garage of the bank and covertly climbed the stairs to the top floor. Peaking through the glass of the stairwell door allowed us to assess that there were two guards armed only with police grade berretta M9 pistols. Armed in our Kevlar vests and padding, we rushed the guards, disarming them before any shots were fired. Thankfully, since our attack was unexpected, the two guardsmen were the only ones watching over Michaels. We made a quick recovery and I sent the crew back to headquarters so the emergency crew could check over Michaels, who had been unconscious since we retrieved her. I watched as my crew moved lithely through the shadows back to the safety of the stadium.