The Will of the Gods Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The young woman did the only thing that she could think to do. Under her breath, she began to pray. "Father, Mother, Sister," she pleaded. "I have always been a righteous subject."

That was probably a lie, she noted.

"Well, mostly." She added so they knew she was honest. "If You free me, I swear to You I will rule the kingdom with Your names constantly on my tongue. I will strike down the unrighteous, like the man who stands before me, and I will dedicate my life to..."

She faltered. What did you promise a god? The texts were somewhat unclear regarding the sorts of things gods enjoyed. "Erm... Sacrificing goats every day."

She continued this way, murmuring constantly until they reached the large fire at the center of the camp. Seeing the Ceremony bench on the platform that had been built around the flames, she felt her fingers begin to tremble. She tightened them into fists to hold her fear at bay.

Gregar stopped at the end of a long aisle. To either side, it seemed as if every man in the camp had come to watch the event. They were seated on makeshift benches-boxes and barrels from the supply carts in rows that ran all the way around the fire in a circle.

A man stood near the fire. He was older than most of the men here, but he still had the build of a soldier. He wore the deep purple robes of an acolyte of the gods. Every company had one soldier who the gods blessed as their liaison in times of war. Usually it was an officer of high rank whose primary function was his military role, but on the battlefield he gave last rites and administered confessions to dying soldiers. It was a respected role, and a dangerous one.

The graying man raised his hands over his head when he saw Gregar stop at the end of the aisle. The people who had gathered quieted at the gesture. When all that could be heard were the soft chirps of crickets and the croak of the occasional frog, the priest's voice boomed forth over the heads of the soldiers.

"Who wishes to know the will of the gods?"