The Witch and the Dragon Ch. 20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Zak roared behind them, scaring Alluna. She jumped and pressed against Remi, watching Zak's golden dragon rear up on its hind legs. The two horns spiraling from his head hit the vaulted ceiling, sending a shower of rocks and debris everywhere. The other dragons began sniffing loudly, a low growl rumbling in their chests.

Alluna pressed tighter against remi in fear. The dragons were so big and their teeth looked so jagged. They could probably swallow her in one gulp.

Remi held her tight. "It's okay, Luna," he murmured close to her ear. "They're just picking up a scent. Hey, what gives?" He directed the last question to the snarling dragon.

Zak gave on last angry roar and reared up. The chain holding him broke.

Alluna watched as the other two dragons ignited in a ball of blue white light. The shape of the dragon began to diminish until Zakreel and Remuel appeared at last.

Zakreel rushed to Alluna and Remi. "We must flee."

"Flee?" Remi asked, one brow lifting.

"Demons approaching," Zakreel tossed over his shoulder rushing back to Zak, who was snarling at Remuel and backing away. Both weredragons tried to calm him from what Alluna could see.

Wondering if perhaps she could help, she took a step toward them.

Remi tensed and gripped Alluna's arm. "We gotta go. Help me release the others."

Alluna followed him because he gave her no choice. He gripped Rowie and dragged them to the middle of the circle of sacrifice. Alluna held onto Rowie as Remi drew a flaming sword from thin air. With a graceful swing, he released Seth.

Seth stumbled forward, once released.

"We need to get everyone out of here," Remi began

Seth shook his mane of white-blond hair and rubbed his eyes. "Right. I'll get Annie. You get the vampire."

Remi turned to Drakken as Seth unsheathed his sword and released Anniel.

Alluna held Rowie tighter. There was something dark and dangerous in that vampire's expression. Predatory. His eyes were black pools of death, and he did not look friendly. Alluna watched as he sniffed at Remi, blinked, and then hissed, struggling against his restraints. It made Alluna jump and take a step back.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Remi scoffed angrily. "I'm going to release you."

"You stupid fuck," the vampire hissed going crazy. "You fucked my daughter. I'm going to kill you."

Remien took a step back. "Oops."

"Oops? Is that all you've got to say?" the vampire shrieked, spittle flying from his paper dry lips.

Rowie whimpered in Alluna's arms and tried to lurch forward. Alluna looked at her noticing her eyes were no longer vacant. She panted, as if fighting the spell, her eyes wide and scared. They were riveted on Remi.

"Could it be?" Alluna said in a low voice, trying to hold her still. "Your love for your mate is counteracting the spell?"

Rowie whimpered and held her hand out toward Remi.

"I'm sorry you're mad that I made love to your daughter, but I love her.," Remi said as he squared his shoulders. "She's my mate and she's carrying my babies."

The vampire howled in misery. "No. Not you. Not the son of Remuel. This must be some kind of sick joke." He went limp in his cuffs and sobbed, letting his tangled black hair cover his face.

"Look, there's no time for this. Can I release you or do I have to leave you here for what's coming now?"

He snapped his head back up, baring long fangs. "I will kill you," the vampire spat literally trying to tear through the silver cuffs."

Remi shrugged. "Fine. Have it your way."

Something heavy ran against Alluna's back making her squeal in fright. She turned to gape up at Zak. He was once more in his human skin, hot and bare, molding himself to her as his arms circled her waist. "Demons coming. We have to move out of here like now?"

Remi had come up to them and was directing Rowie to climb onto his back.

Alluna turned with a little mewl to bury herself against the silk of Zak's flesh. He held her tight and kissed the top of her head.

"Don't worry about Drakken," Zakreel said standing before them. "I'll release him once all of you are far enough. It's his hunger that has him so out of control, really. Just go before it's too late."

The ground shook and a low howl sounded far off. It was not like any animal or beast she'd ever heard. The faint smell of smoke and excrement filled the air.

Alluna felt the press of something so evil it made her skin want to crawl away from her bones. Her legs began to shake, but Zak lifted her in his arms and then began to run.

The dungeon was a maze of tunnels, winding round and round. They'd run past chambers of torture, and corridors with cells holding the bones of long forgotten prisoners—skeletal remains with mouths open in silent screams of agony.

They scrambled up a narrow winding staircase until they emerged into a grand hall. It would have been the perfect moment for escape, finally, seeing the swaying forms of trees and mountains beyond the broken doorways and missing windows. Unfortunately, every exit was blocked with a flood of devils pouring in from outside.

Alluna screamed, clutching tighter to Zak's neck. He cursed and turned, heading up the next flight of stairs.

There were more than just devils in the writhing cloud of evil that scrambled toward them. There were other monstrous creatures too; fire trolls, goblins, ghouls, and half-rotted corpses of the warriors that had once guarded this castle.

Zak's long legs took the steps three at a time, climbing higher into the burned out crumbling castle. Looking behind them, she saw Remuel. His eyes were no longer human, and his skin was glowing. He was beginning to shift. Behind him was Zakreel clutching the vampire, who was considerably shorter than the golden weredragon, to his chest like a child. Behind Zakreel were the monsters.

Alluna shuddered clutching Zak tighter and whimpering in terror.

Gold wings jerked out from Zak's back blocking her view. Alluna stared into his eyes and saw that they were no longer human.

"I won't lose you, Luna," his voice growled. "I'll keep you safe."

There was bright sunlight at the top of the stairway. Alluna looked back and screamed when she saw the devils crawling over the ceiling, getting even closer.

"Zak."

"We'll make it, baby. I promise."

Sunlight blinded her momentarily, and she felt Zak take a tumble. Somehow he kept her from hitting the ground. She just rolled until she felt a hand drag her back up.

"Run-run," Remi screamed at her. "There's too many of them."

He didn't even give her time to look back, just dragged her forward, his own red dragon's wings flapping to lend him more speed. Rowie clung to his back between his wings.

She looked back for Zak and saw him and Remuel engaging the monsters with their swords. Zakreel was taking a leap off the edge of the castle with the vampire still clutched in his arms. Drakken was screaming in pain from the sunlight.

Alluna stumbled and went to her knees.

"No. Alluna, run-run. Don't stop. Don't let them get you and the babies," Zak yelled.

His voice sounded animalistic, his face didn't look normal anymore either. Jagged teeth filled his widening mouth and his skin looked as if it were on fire.

The devils and trolls overwhelmed Zak and Remuel as Remi dragged her up and pulled her along.

Alluna ran, but she glanced back again and saw when the ball of devils and trolls that had engulfed Zak and Remuel overflow right over the edge of the castle wall... taking the two weredragons with them.

The only thing that passed through Alluna's head was that the devils had tossed Zak to his death.

Time seemed to slow, sound became a distant hum. All Alluna heard was the sound of heartbeats. She felt pain tear through her. Not physical pain, but a rending pain that crushed her heart and soul. Zak, her love. After everything they've been through... how could it end this way? How?

She ran. Ran faster than Remi. She didn't know how, but she did. Her eyes were focused on the end of the stone bridge that linked one part of the castle to another, but the very middle of the bridge was missing. She needed to save her babies. It was the only thing left of her beloved. The gap looked too wide, but if she didn't try, she and her babies would be dead.

She heard a bestial roar behind her. It almost sounded like her name. Heat slammed against her from behind.

Alluna did not look back. She prayed to her forest guardians to help her, to keep her babies safe from harm. Her feet flew over the broken blackened stones until they sailed over air. She leapt toward the other side of the bridge. Below, the castle grounds crawled with evil creatures, boiling around the ruins like fetid water. She saw yellow eyes gaping up at her.

Her fingers stretched for the far end of the bridge. It was like flying, but she began to fall.

"Nooo. No, please," she cried out

Gold talons encircled her, halting her descent abruptly. The air whooshed out of her lungs from the reversal of direction. Her stomach felt as if it had dropped to her feet and she watched wide-eyed as one of her slippers fell to the ground below. The castle became smaller and smaller.

Alluna looked up to see the underbelly of a gold dragon. Just ahead was another gold and two reds flew to either side of her.

The one with the crown of horns turned his head. Alluna wasn't sure, but she could have sworn the red dragon grinned and winked at her.

"Oh, gods," she gasped. The air around her was getting thinner and colder as they soared higher. She was having trouble breathing.

Her face was suddenly pressed against shimmering golden scales. The dragon clutched her to his chest.

"Zak?" she whimpered.

A low growl erupted from his chest and he drew her higher.

His head dipped and she came face to snout with Zak's dragon. The sapphire blue of his eyes burned fiercely.

"Zak," she called to him again.

His answer was a ferocious snarl, baring his teeth.

Did he know who she was? Did he retain his human thoughts and memories when he changed?

Alluna watched in horror and terror as he opened his maw and slipped her into his mouth.

His jagged dragon's teeth were the last thing she saw before she passed out.