The Wrath of the Daemon

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I laughed and shook his hand, "I wouldn't recommend it, my friend," we shared a laugh, "thank you for stopping by, and for your concern over my well-being. I assure you that my recovery will be something to write about in the medical books." We again laughed as he turned to walk away, he placed his hands across his chest with his fists closed; that was the final sign I needed to see.

"I am sorry to have been snooping," Francisco said as he walked from behind a large set of bushes that had carefully hidden him from sight.

"I knew you were there," I replied, "so did he."

"Then why did you talk so strangely? I have spoken to him many times while you were out, and not once did he talk so strangely."

"When you are wearing a wire against your wishes, you have to speak in strange ways," I replied, "that's what the shiny badge comment was about." I motioned for him to follow as I continued speaking, "he also warned me that his superiors were wondering if I had ordered the attacks that had been taking place. Also, he told me how my brother's case is looking at the moment, and it's not looking good for them."

"What was that Lucifer thing he said?"

"Luciferian complex," I repeated Elvis' words, "and tilted sense of justice, it comes from an old story. Lucifer was cast from Heaven because he questioned God's methods at judging mankind. See, in God's eyes, we were either wholly devoted to him without question, or we were heretics. Lucifer thought otherwise, he saw mankind as innocent children with a need for guidance. So he was cast out from Heaven until the time that he could prove through his methods that Man can be made whole through cleansing. That's his tilted sense of justice, punishment to wash away sin."

"I still don't understand, boss" Francisco replied.

"He agrees with me that this attack was an inside job." I looked at my close friend before continuing, "he condones whatever it is I'm about to do to find and punish those responsible. However, he wants me to keep the bloodshed to a minimum."

"What about that blonde comment he made?"

"That, is only for me to know for now, brother." I knew that Elvis had figured out who was responsible for the attack in much the same way I had done so, his blonde remark simply reminded me of how much of a true brother Elvis is to me. It wasn't the description of a person, but it was rather another symbol: greed. That single bullet would be awfully expensive for whoever fired it.

"You two have a long history together, far longer than what you've shared with us," he laughed at his own comment.

"Shared foxholes will do that," I replied, "get the car ready, I need to see my father."

...

"How is he?" Anais finally managed to ask Edith as they shared a quiet breakfast together. D had been a subject off topic while he laid in that hospital room, fighting for his life. She had seen her friend slowly crumble under the weight of that terrible burden, with each passing day her smile would slowly disappear. But this morning, that smile that she had thought had long ago disappeared from her face had made its return.

"Physically," she began, "he is doing well, better than could be hoped for under the circumstances. But mentally, he is far worse than ever."

"What do you mean?"

"He doesn't smile as he used to," Edith replied, "that shine that was once in his eyes is completely gone. Now, they're just an empty void. I'm afraid that there is nothing left of D, all that's left is the Daemon itself."

"What do you think he'll do?"

"Honestly, I don't know." Edith picked up her coffee mug and slowly lifted it to her lips, "the way his mind is working now, the way his eyes shift and look into every situation, it's inhuman. There's a monster inside him trying to claw his way through, and whoever is on its path will get devoured."

"Maybe you should leave then," Anais replied, "if you're scared for your safety."

"I'm not scared for my safety," she replied, "I'm terrified for those that took that shot. I don't think they realized what they've let loose in the world."

"What do you mean by that?"

"I've known D for a long time," she replied, "I know how cold he can be in certain situations. How calloused he can be to the pain of others. Outright dismissive in some cases. But this, this is different. His enemies think that they are playing chess whole he's playing something entirely different. A game he invented, that only he understands the rules to, and more importantly how to win."

"What game is that?"

"Life." Edith stood up from the table, her coffee mug empty, "or something like it," she said as she walked away.

...

"I'm glad to see you alive, son." There was very little wasted language when my father spoke.

"It takes more than a direct shot to the chest to take me out, pops," I replied. "I'm not sure how much more, but it got close this time."

"Yeah, your luck might run out someday soon." He looked at me, his eyes wary with both worry and the creeping solace of age. He had been carrying his own burdens for many years now, and while I worried about him as a son does, I knew his pride would not allow me to openly show concern for him. "But I don't think you came here to hear the worries of an old man," he motioned me to sit beside him, "what can I do for you, son?"

"I am surrounded by enemies," I replied, this was one of the few people that I could be completely open to with; I could expose my most innate fears and insecurities. His counsel was valuable to me, far more than from most people, "my enemies are readjusting their strategies with each breath I take. I expected this, of course, but I am not sure where to aim first."

"Most of the time, the best way to kill a snake is to cut its head off," he looked around at his growing garden, "I've learned that even snakes have their place, even in a place like this little garden of mine. They have their use, like a tool, and so I let them live here. People are like this; even the vilest of them can have their use. It is useless to kill the snake because there are more behind it, ready to take its place."

"If I could turn them against each other..."

"No," he replied, "you use a tool to better yourself, and your surroundings. A tool is only as good as the hand that wields it, son. You'll find the top snake in your garden, then you'll find the second strongest, but it's that third one that will give you the best use. That's the one that's got something to prove."

"How are things here, pops?"

"They're all safe," he continued, "you need to keep your eyes on your own path now. What you are about to do, it'll cost you a lot. But I think you've prepared everything well, you have the right people around you. All that you have to do is realize that you are doing the right thing."

"But that's the problem," I replied, "I don't know if I am."

"The fact that you doubt means that you are," he said, "if you were convinced that you were correct, then I would understand your hesitation. Go inside, say hello to your mother and your sister. The children will be happy to see you as well." He dismissed me with a small wave of his hand, "remember all you've learned, I am sure that you'll do the right thing."

"How do you know?"

"You always do," he replied, the weariness in his eyes disappeared for a second, "no matter what, you always do. It's your curse, son."

...

"Have you seen the Boss?" Casper could not get used to wearing the necessary clothing whenever he needed to visit the house; most times he often found it amusing how much they made him look different from his normal look. Other times, like today, they just seemed like an unnecessary burden, a costume. His men had taken to the new wardrobe with glee; their more professional appearance certainly affected their overall demeanor.

"Briefly," Francisco replied, "he felt well enough to go out for a drive. Short of the visitors he has already received, he has not spoken to anyone. Did you need something?"

"Well," Casper replied, this man was not as intimidating as D, but there was still an air of danger around him. There was a reason why he had been placed in such a position within the Family, tradition dictated that he undertake certain responsibilities; he had not faltered in that regard. Casper respected this man, that much was certain, but he was slowly learning to fear the man. "I was waiting for my orders, now that he's up and about we surely are going to be planning some type of payback."

"Your orders are still the same," he blankly replied, "if and when anything is needed from you, you will be contacted. Until then, I will make sure that D knows you visited, and that you are grateful for his speedy recovery."

"Alright," Casper replied, "you know where I'll be," he said to the figure as he had begun to walk away from him. There was that coldness about Francisco that he had began to feel, that strange sensation that chilled him to his very core. At that moment, he felt like a tiny ant underneath a very large magnifying glass. This man was hiding something, the suggestion with his body language and his quick dismissal made Casper wonder just what that may be, absolute power corrupts absolute.

"If you are looking for D, he is not here," the voice said, he recognized her without needing to see her. He also knew that she would have her constant companion beside her, the two women had become close, save for the past few weeks during D's recovery.

"I spoke with Francisco," Casper replied, "he told me about the same thing. Do you know where I could find him?"

"No," Edith continued, "wherever he is, he does not want to be disturbed. I will tell him you stopped by, if you'd like?"

"It's fine," Casper replied, "Francisco's already doing that for me. I'll head back, when he needs me he'll know how to get in touch. You ladies have a good day." He walked past the two women, Anais and Edith, both as dangerous as snakes in their own way; both under the protection of some of the most dangerous men that he had ever encountered in his life. He could not help the chill that crept down his spine as he walked out of the house, even through the walls he could feel their glare holding him steady. That magnifying glass suddenly got much bigger.

...

"Capo Bastone" he heard as D opened the door to the study, a title that he had received a few weeks before the shooting. Now, almost a month after his release from the hospital, D had returned to his full duties as Head of the Family. This was the first time since that meeting where he received that title that D had used it when summoning him. "Bring the Consigliere and my envelope, tell no one else of this meeting, one hour."

"Sir," he replied, immediately drawing his phone and dialing the familiar number. "Cesar, its Francisco, your brother calls for you. Bring the envelope, he wants us in one hour. I would also bring anything on Angel's case, he might want an update."

"Ok," he replied, "how is he doing? This doesn't seem like a normal type of meeting."

"Yeah, I agreed with you on that," Francisco replied, "its only going to be us three there. He doesn't want Edith there, you know that means he doesn't want her knowing what is going to be discussed. In fact, he doesn't want anyone other than us knowing about it."

"Alright, see you then," Cesar replied.

"You're still worried," the voice startled him, he had heard it many times but after that scene he had interrupted between her and D, he found it to be like nails on a chalkboard. But this was still his sister, and she was under the protection of his Family. "Its written all over your face, that deep trouble."

"We almost lost him," he replied, "I don't know how things would've gone if he had not made it through. Even as he hung there, the violence that almost swallowed the city was shocking. I don't want to imagine how much worse it would have been if he hadn't."

"They needed a leader," she replied, "even those men with their own Families, they still look at D for guidance and leadership. They won't admit it, of course, but its more than obvious. Even with that thug you all keep around, you can see just how desperate he is for any form of leadership. Like children, they just want to be told what to do and not have to worry about figuring things out on their own."

"Didn't take you for a philosopher," she was looking at him closely, looking at his every move, at his every shift. He felt like a mouse in front of a predator, not a cat but something more savage. "Or that you had been looking at people with such curiosity, Anais."

"Its nothing like that, Francisco," she laughed, "I'm just babbling really. It is what you learn in the first weeks of Psych 101. People are community animals, they look to each other to build communities. It is only natural that they gravitate to leaders, people they see as more powerful or stronger than they are."

"I guess so," he replied, "and where do you stand in that community?"

"I don't need to stand on any side, silly," she replied, moving closer to him. She placed her hand on his shoulder, "I have you here to protect me." Before she could get closer, Francisco removed her hand from his shoulder.

"I need to go check up on things and get food out for D, have you seen Edith?" she tried to hide the pain of his rejection, but it was there. For a fleeting second, and he saw it.

"She is still working on something for D," her tone of voice had completely changed, it was more normal. "I can get the food out to D if you'd like."

"No," he continued, "I need to speak to him about some things that have come up. You get some rest, Anais." He walked away, for the first time completely unsure as to who this woman was. She had become a stranger to him, he wondered if her presence in the house with such close proximity to the Family was affecting her.

...

"Brothers," I began as Cesar and Francisco walked into the study, "please close the door behind you. We have much to discuss."

"How are you, D?" This had been the first chance that Cesar had been able to see me since my release from the hospital, both he and I had been busy with our own projects. For his part, and based on what Elvis had revealed, he had more than stepped up to his position as counselor and had been doing a great job at breaking down the case against our brother.

"Better," I replied, "how is the case looking?"

"I placed another request to dismiss the charges against Angel," he replied beaming with pride, "along with an intent to pursue legal ramifications against the unlawful imprisonment of our brother."

"What does that mean?" Francisco asked.

"Its basically me telling the Federal Judge that we intend to sue the government for Angel's civil right violations," he laughed, "kinda like a way to tell them that we are done playing ball."

"Good," I replied, "did you bring the envelope?"

"Yes," he opened his briefcase, "it is still sealed, with both your signature and mine still intact. Are you finally going to reveal the identity of your attacker?"

"Francisco," I replied, "go ahead and open it." I handed him the envelope, "and please read out loud what the page inside it says."

He tore open the envelope and pulled the single sheet of paper out. Carefully, he unfolded the sheet as Cesar looked on. "It just says: 'they will reveal themselves,' there's no names."

"No," I replied, "the truth is that I had my suspicions, but did not have enough evidence to name the people. But like I said on that piece of paper, they would reveal themselves. So they have."

"I don't understand," Cesar said, "all the other families have been eradicated. From the remaining three, two of them are our close allies, they have taken great efforts to prove as much. The Acosta have gone almost underground."

"That's what I thought as well," I began, "but it was them, the Acosta, who are responsible for the incarceration. They are the ones that have setup things and events that would only have concluded with Angel's death. However, because of your brother, he lived." I looked at Francisco, "even with his death, your brother still did our Family a great service. The Acosta miscalculated, however, on their inside source."

"Who?" Cesar and Francisco asked simultaneously.

"With me gone from the Family, and with Angel either dead or behind bars, who do you think would have been chosen by the Family to take the Seat?"

"Well, Jose stepped up..."

"But it should've been you," Francisco replied, "that's why the Family became so fractured, because he had violated tradition."

"Yes," I replied, "however, he too was a miscalculation. Once again, the Acosta had underestimated the power of greed. Do you remember that private investigator I had requested, Francisco?"

"Yes."

"I had given him the job to find out three things. The first one was the identity and location of a man, a very particular man. No one could know that I was searching for him, especially not you, Cesar."

"Why not? Who is this man?"

"Jose had been recruited by the Acosta, and he had received this information as a means to reassure him that once you had taken the position as Head of the Family, you could be controlled. Jose knew that he could use that same information against you if his claim to the Seat was ever challenged." I looked at my brothers, unsure about what I was about to tell them next, unsure at how they would receive the news. "He knew the identity of your biological father, and so do I."

"What?!" Francisco filled in the gap of awkward silence.

"Years ago," I continued, "our mother had been approached and eventually seduced by a man. She had been approached because of her ties to the Family, she had been seduced as part of a blackmailing scheme. She knew that this would be used against my father, her mistake and the child growing within her from that mistake, would make my father an easy target. So she talked him out of taking the Seat, and prevented her indiscretion to be used against her. At least for the time being.

"Instead, she told my father that his contribution to the Family should be made in a particular way. To have his oldest son pursue law so that he could fill the role of advisor. The second born should become the top trigger man, indispensable and wise, the best person to be at the right side of the Head of the Family. Therefore, the third son, the one with something to prove, would become Head of the Family, with his two brothers at his side. I, of course, ruined those plans with my departure."

"How..." Cesar was speechless.

"With only two sons left, our enemy's idea took shape anew. They would have to get rid of the younger brother in order to place you in the position to rise, but they would need an inside man that could help them maneuver things from within. Again, they miscalculated with Jose and his greed. When Angel was taken into custody, our mother could see the Acosta plan being formulated and so she was forced to reach out to me."

"What else did you have the investigator look into?" Francisco was just as shocked as Cesar, but Cesar needed to know more, his own morbid curiosity was taking over.

"As I was running war games with the Salvato," I replied to Cesar's question, "I had Francisco do something. Francisco?"

"Using the blueprints you provided, I took half of our forces and led a raid into the Acosta house. They did not go underground, Cesar, they are destroyed." Cesar remained quiet, the weight of these revelations was crushing him, still I continued.

"I did not think that Jose had been the only compromised character within our organization, all the events that had taken place could not have been done by him alone. It was something that cousin Armando had mentioned as a throw away comment that revealed it to me, Jose was not the only one, he was just the first. The investigator confirmed this suspicion, there was a second mole within the organization that was directly connected to my brother's incarceration and to my shooting.