The Yellow Cottage

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He nodded.

"Enough for book after book."

The mouth over a square jaw slackened as Scott smiled in appreciation. She caught the twinkle in his quite dark blue eyes and watched as he swept a wayward fringe on to the body of wavy fair hair. Yes, the babes would go for him, she thought, unaware if she had excluded herself.

Scott said with Jess mentioning book after book suggested she had confidence in him.

She just smiled and looked across of the vast stretch of sand, as it was now low tide, leaving a ribbon of river no more than six metres wide. She looked at the steep incline of bush for inspiration to keep this conversation going. Her interest in it was immense.

"Do you find that landscape inspirational?"

What a good question, she thought, answering yes. "Exactly what did you mean by saying I ought to venture outside the closet."

Looking slightly uneasy, Scott asked her not to become angry if he missed the mark because he had been speculating.

Jess smiled and said of course not, promising herself to adhere to that assurance.

"It occurred to me that you might not be particularly sexually experienced and that you may never had a rousing and lengthy romance. That being possible, I thought you may never have been out of New Zealand or even travelled extensively within it and with other people to magnify experiences. Then I thought, why was your genre action romance? Why weren't you using your background and writing about development of children?"

Jess's face burned.

Scott asked what was the setting for her first novel.

"Two girls growing up in rural New Zealand and their relationships and experiences in living with their smothering mother and rather brutal father."

"Fictitious?"

"Yes, mostly. My sister and I grew up in the city. My mother was kind and loved us without displaying emotion and our father was curt and rather indifferent to us all."

Scott said so she transferred that household to life on a farm and broadened the characters of her family, making herself the heroine?

"Almost right except my exceptionally talented sister was the heroine."

Scott said good thinking and asked about the second novel.

"An extension of the first, although well-concealed. My sister in the second novel was changed to a brother and he married a woman who was very jealous of him and ended up in jail after killing his lover who was his singing tutor. In my character I'd been my sister-in-law's best-friend throughout but after she was jailed for twelve years I encouraged my brother to divorce her and found a new woman for him and she became his second wife and bore him children."

Scott finished his beer. "Come, let's go to dinner. Mom always cooks more than we can eat."

Jess looked scandalized. "No, I couldn't barge in like that uninvited."

"I've done the inviting."

"What? But that's not the same."

Scott smiled and asked where was her sense of adventure. "I ask you, what would your heroine do?"

"Accompany you, for sure."

"Well then, go and change. Mom will think you've dressed up like that to seduce me."

Jess looked aghast and asked what should she wear.

"Scuffs, short shorts and top. Want me to choose and help you dress? There's nothing much left for me to see."

"No thank you," Jess laughed excitedly. As she leapt through the ranch slider (glass door) she called, "Clean up please, put everything on the sink bench."

She returned wearing a fairly heavy and formless top, white shorts and scuffs plus knickers and bra. She'd frowned at not seeing the half-full wine bottle on the bench along with the wine bottle and empty pack of crisps. She returned outside to find the table cleared and thought oh my, he was house trained and cleared up properly.

He looked disappointed when sighting her top.

"What?"

"Nothing."

Jess excused herself and went back and remerged wearing a lighter and tighter top and returned carrying his ironed and neatly folded T-shirt. "I thought that other top might be a little too heavy as the evening will be warm.

He didn't answer but she noticed the tight smile around his lips. She wondered if she'd become one of his 'babes' and was surprised the thought didn't shock her. She handed over the T-shirt and whispered would he ensure his mother didn't see it, as his mother would want to know why Jess had been in possession of his T-shirt.

"Okay, but why are you whispering? There is no one around to listen to your sordid tale."

She swung a playful slap at her face but with astonishing speed her caught her wrist and moved right up to her. Oh God, Jess thought, he's going to kiss me. What will my neighbours think? But he let to go, looking at her intently without smiling. Jess felt the blue eyes wash over her, reaching for her mind. She was aware that was a creative thought.

"You forgot to lock the ranch slider," he said, reaching across to take the garment clutched against her chest. She felt the back of his hand run right over her nipple, unintentionally she was sure and then she felt the familiar tingling she sometimes felt when alone a nights and wishing to be loved as her hands roamed her body. Oh no, that that, she thought, tensing and was relieved the tingling failed to build. Jess thought of being the innocent victim of a single nipple touch orgasm and smiled, knowing that thought was poles apart from reality. Some guys who'd known her had complained, telling her it was exhausting getting her away. She thought well that was the kind of experience Scott had been talking about. Scott probably would be proud of her response to those two or three guys, 'Then don't bother trying it with me again!'

She turned to find Scott in position, arms bent to catch her although the steps were right beside him. So Jess gritted and jumped, keeping her head back to avoid a head clash. There was no way she could create a soft landing but he caught her with ease, emitting just a small grunt. She'd expected he'd enjoy a full frontal as she slid to the ground but he'd dropped her gently to his side before she could turn.

They headed off, Jess in two minds about taking his arm but thought it best if she remained slightly aloof. But he'd already eased out to provide a gap large enough between them to take another person so she assumed that while he could be planning to bed her, Mr Smooth had launched into a slowly, slowly approach In an instant she decided he would go all the way if that was his intention. That jump into his arms was just a dodge to indicate his strength. Well, with that established, now what? He was saying something; oh God, she'd better listen rather than carrying as if she were love-starved, which she was.

"The theme of your third book was strongly autobiographical -- you discovering your love of children, amazed how in the classroom they responded to you and then one evening you stayed behind late, closing down for the holidays, and discovered your love for the school principal when he nailed you."

Jess stopped, her astonishment showing. "How can you possibly know that? If you deduced that then you know me as well as I do."

Scott laughed and pulled her nearest arm and folded it though the crook of his arm. "Mom handed me 'Love in the Classroom' and said you were living in the Monk's house. I skimmed through it, gained the impression it was well written although rather thin in the delivery of emotion except for that very descriptive passage of your married principal rutting you over your desk. Is that what happened?"

"More or less," Jess squeaked. She was utterly embarrassed and thankful he remained eyes ahead. He'd know what she was going through.

"You were taking a risk describing being fucked by your principal. That could have cost you both your jobs."

"I said more or less," Jess explained, now calmer. "The work was fiction and the principal of my school was a sixty-five year old spinster.

Scott laughed and said she'd been convincing. Her seducer seemed so real to him.

She cocked an ear, unsure of whether he'd added, 'The lucky sod'. She was almost sure... She'd better explain why it had appeared so believable. "The truth is that scene was true-life, acted out by the father of a boyfriend I once had. The boyfriend was a bit of a Bozo while his father was, well manly. His dad came from behind and slapped me on the butt; I turned and grabbed him, thinking it was his son back from tennis. Red lust seized me so I backed against the kitchen table and he had me while his wife was in the shower after coming in from the garden."

"You have vivid memory recall," Scott laughed.

"You'll now think of me as a slut."

"No way, don't demean yourself Jess. There are some opportunities in life that may be a little risqué but are part of life's experiences, possibly unforgettable experiences. Tomorrow I'm flying to the South Island for a week of roaming. Come with me. It's Sunday so seats will be available on the mid-morning flight. I have money wanting to be spent so the week's on me. It may pull you out of the rut you appear to be in."

"I couldn't allow you to spend that money on me. I'm also not sure whether your invitation is improper."

"Your delightful presence and companionship will reward me more than enough."

"What about sex?"

"Oh that too but only if the idea appeals. Companionship is enough in itself. You must be aware that travelling alone is somewhat soulless for most of the time."

"You really mean no sex would be okay?"

"Absolutely."

"We could share a bed as that would keep the costs down."

"Absolutely and if you want sex just be all over me."

"So there is a requirement to have sex?"

"If you require it then yes. I'll just go along for the ride."

They laughed and Jess called him a naughty man. "All right but only on the condition I pay for all meals."

"Okay but please don't mention this to mum. She loves being mothering and thinks I'm devastated over the loss of Lacy."

"Are you?"

Scott turned to look at Jess and she caught her breath, thinking of having him all over her. "This is the truth. I was shocked when I arrived because the bitch said nothing about splitting from me almost a year ago, leaving me to believe she was waiting for me. I've seen her the once since I've been back. She came looking for sex and not wearing her ring -- and to apologize of course. After her tears stopped we had a drink and she left."

"Did you, um...?"

"Have sex? No, when we met I realized I had no feeling for her. I don't seduce women unless I feel something for them."

"Do you have feeling for me?" Jess caught her breath thinking that might make him blink.

He said, "This is my parent's home. Stay by the front doorsteps while I whip around and toss the T-shirt through my bedroom window."

Marion Street was delighted to find Jess being pushed into her kitchen by her son.

"Hello Jess, how delightful to see you. My son has been chatting you up, has he? Please stay for dinner. I always prepare enough for the arrival of an unexpected person. I caught the habit from my mother who always cooked enough for two extra people but they lived on a farm and unexpected visitors habitually arrived just before mealtime. You cheeks are flushed dear, are you well?"

"Very well thank you Marion. How's Razor?"

How did she feel? The truth now Jess, she told herself. Well, she felt as if she could walk on water!

CHAPTER 2

Scott arrived, eager to see excitement in her eyes but unfortunately Jess's eyes were behind fashionable shades. He said his mother was unlikely to spot them leaving together when they drove by her house as she was bathing Razor. "Where is all the luggage?"

"This is it -- one carry bag plus my carry-on bag."

"Laptops are banned."

Jess smiled. "No laptop, but I have packed a notebook."

"Good, I want you to keenly observe everything and remain relaxed. Have you packed condoms?"

"Yes," she lied.

"Liar," he said and catching the guilty look said. "You appear beautifully relaxed."

She just smiled

As they drove off in his noisy but clean vehicle she asked, "Where are we going?"

"Queenstown. Do you like the sound of that?"

"Oh yes, I've never been out of the North Island."

"What make of car are we in?"

She caught sight of the word 'Subaru' on the dash and said, "A Japanese Subaru?"

"Good, what model?"

"No idea."

"Well it's the standard sedan, 4-cylinder all-wheel drive, 2000cc and a little old, being a 2003 import. As a writer, you need to know a bit about cars and to think of what your hero would drive, especially if he exhibits masculinity. He'd then probably drive a sports model car with more grunt than this one, perhaps even supercharged."

"That's the motor that hisses when the driver changes gear?"

"Yes and it would have manual gear change. You would casually describe the vehicle he drives as you would details of the necklace the heroine wears when dressing up for a power dinner with his parents."

Jess said she could see what he was driving at. "When the hero showers does he fiddle with his thingy?"

The vehicle lurched slightly as Scott negotiated a bend and he over-corrected after losing concentration. "Probably not if he were getting enough."

"Getting enough of what? Oh Scott, don't answer. I know what you meant."

"Your heroine in your third novel didn't play with herself, unless I skipped that bit."

Jess said she thought heroines wouldn't go in for that sort of behaviour as readers who were a little uptight might think of that as being rather base, not fitting for a heroine.

According to Scott a heroine was required to possess extra qualities to run-of-mill women although they all still went to the toilet. Perhaps the writer could simply state the heroine found her missing passport in her bottom drawer under a strawberry coloured silicone dildo.

"Or that she kept her box of toys discreetly in the wardrobe."

Scott laughed. "Would a heroine have a whole box of stimulators?"

"I really don't know. I only possess one to avoid acquiring a fetish. Do you have a fetish Scott?"

"Not that I know of."

"You seem to ogle my tits rather a lot."

The vehicle rocked again. "Jess are you really ready to become this personal?"

"I don't think so but appeared to be sliding down that road."

Scott said the weather in Queenstown was reportedly fine and settled. "What should we do to heap you with action adventure?"

"Something a little exotic for my memory bank as an inspiring author."

"Oh, we are bound to do that."

"Scotty?"

"Yes?"

"Do you have any comments about Alexis and Karl in my third novel?"

Scott asked did she mean him to comment critically and she said yes, definitely.

"I skimmed through the novel to gain an impression of your writing."

Jess said she understood that, but just his impressions could be useful."

Scott took it carefully to avoid possible upset. "You could develop your principal characters more intensely. I noticed you'd drawn them rather thoroughly and drip-fed that over two or three chapters rather and in one or two dunkings of narration."

"So they weren't cardboard cut-outs?"

"No -- I managed to picture them fully and probably just how you intended. But just a wee thought. Did Karl have any noticeable scars or ever exhibit a 5-o'clock shadow? Did Alexis ever pull a strand of hair while thinking and did her breasts hang evenly or was one lower?"

"Oh, the more intimate edges of difference."

"I haven't heard it described like that, but yes."

If Jess smiled appreciatively Scott missed it as he was passing a slow vehicle but as he completed the manoeuvre heard smile into her voice as she said, "You seem to know a lot about breasts?"

"If you say so. I've seen a number of them and if you are not used to the way men think and talk you could think my interest is a fetish rather that being implanted in me."

Jess let that one go for the time being, saving it for discussion when they were bored, perhaps in sleeping bags around a campfire or whatever he proposed doing. "Um, in the brief look you had, did you notice anything unusual about mine?"

She guessed Scott must have thought the question was inevitable because the answer came instantly. "No, perfectly normal -- both seem to hang identically, your areola colour is apricot which is far from being rare and your nipples seem to stiffen as you saw me looking at them which is an excellent response to posses."

"Oh really?"

"From the male point of view, yes. Should we return to your characters with questionable names?"

Jess asked almost indignantly, "Questionable?"

Scott didn't back off. "To me Alexis seemed a little too contrived although I know it's a proper name and Karl has a slightly brutal sound to it. That's just my opinion."

Jess sighted loud enough for him to hear. "It's funny you should say that. My editor commented similarly. She asked me to consider changing both names."

"Did you at least consider the request?"

"No, they were the names I'd given them at the outset and I felt as I developed them they belonged to their names."

"Please don't accept what I'm about to say as a severe rebuke."

Jess hesitated and then said nervously he could be as forceful as he wished.

"You should have considered your editor's suggestion. She would have thought about it before commenting and would have been aware those names would have endeared themselves to you."

Jess squeezed her hands and said she'd expected a real rap to her knuckles. After she re-read the book in published form she'd found the name Karl no longer appeared appropriate for her hero and knew instantly she should have asked her editor to answer why was she making that suggestion instead of reacting stiffly and saying no. She said she'd learnt a lesson and was aware she still had much to learn and perhaps she was now trying too hard which could explain why she would having trouble establishing pace in her new manuscript.

Instead of switching to discuss her concerns with her new project, Scott kept on track and said each of her main characters in 'Love in the Classroom' actually exhibited few weaknesses but radiated hype and strength. The family backgrounds of the hero and heroine were rather brief and given the reader few clues about people and circumstances that probably had influenced their character -- in fact their private lives appeared well masked. "Did you mean to keep the reader uninformed, knowing that some readers are nosy. Take us for example, I already know you possess a dildo which may embarrass you to know that I know and have told you aloud."

"Scott!"

"Keep calm. That knowledge adds dimension to your character and for all you know, you may be the only woman I know that possesses a dildo. If that were true it would make you unique to me."

"Scott," she pleaded.

"Okay, just proving a point and don't suddenly festoon your female characters with such devices. Think instead does she ever make a mess putting on lipstick? Perhaps she's one of those women who deftly put on lipstick without the aid of a mirror. Does she waddle like a duck when wearing gumboots? Her behaviour and reactions are important to the reader as readers want to 'see' and 'feel' what's going on."

"The requirement of the author to 'show and tell?"

"Yes, exactly. Imagine just how stimulated some readers would have been to read that conversation you and I have just ended."

"Scott, it has ended, hasn't it?"

"There you go, what a way to finally bury that conversation that made you uncomfortable. My reaction was the conversation confirmed you as a real person and yes, here ends that particular conversation until I unpack your bags for you and find it."

"Scott!"

"Okay, and doubtless you have studied character building and know how to drive characters by having them establish motivation and set goals and I must say that the quality of your two principal characters came through as persons to be admired. I certainly felt the love that grew between them and was pleased that she put her mind to enjoying their rutting once she was convinced his bonding with her had advanced beyond carnal pleasure. Alexis began to influence the way I thought about her and I began wanting a piece of her myself. She seemed so gorgeous."