All Comments on 'The Zit Queen and the Quarterback'

by trigudis

Sort by:
  • 18 Comments
redlion75redlion75over 8 years ago

since this was during the war in nam how did they work out?

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Being principled about principals.

A good story; I liked it ... and maybe I'm just nitpicking, but I tend to be distracted by spelling and grammatical errors. Schools are led by principals who impose principles.

Sidney43Sidney43over 8 years ago

Nice story in the tradition of small towns all across the land. Kayla will make some man very happy for a while at least.

burningloveburningloveover 8 years ago
A great start - but the story needs an end!

You left us hanging - please finish a great start!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Good twist

I imagine Cole and Ellen naked for the first time -- she intrigued by the hair growing on Cole's chest and his treasure trail and dick, he by her breasts and "thunder thighs" and the two involved in gentle love making. More please!

trigudistrigudisover 8 years agoAuthor
A sequel?

Thanks for the kind comments. A couple readers have requested more, either a sequel or a graphic sex scene. The story stands on its own, ending when Cole and Ellen return to Damascus High for the final semester of their senior year. A sequel would pick up after that. Those familiar with the era can imagine the possibilities. I didn't include a graphic sex scene because they are readily available in hundreds of stories on this site. However, I am thinking of writing a sequel, a story that follows these two characters post high school. I might do that if there are enough readers requesting one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Of principled principals and things

These kinds of errors drive me nuts. Unfortunately, they are too common. There were a few other clunkers in the story, but this was the most outrageous one. Please people, basic grammar and vocabulary are not that hard!

ariesgirlariesgirlover 8 years ago

I'm OK with how the story ended.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
l don't know

I think I prefer Mills and Boone after this. I still think it is a kick in the teeth for true love. I am sorry that this is a shocking story. I gave you 4 stars because I was glad to finish the story . Please may i not have more. Love you all! Bye. Greg.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

The story was a good one, it shows someone being hurt being helped by an understanding guy with the intension of getting the bullies to leave Ellen alone. It grew into something else and Kayla wasn't mature enough to atleast hear them out. In the long run their relationship would be one of a very jealeous girlfriend and maybe wife someday. That is alot of baggage to start of with. Ellen and Cole becoming an item happens and if Cole's riends atleast want to give him a chance to explain ok But they didn't so he knows now who is friends are and are not. I think another chapter would be great about how Ellen and Cole are doing, how hot Ellen's sexual encounter to her was and where they go from here. Thank you.

OvercriticalOvercriticalover 7 years ago
Star Quarterbacks Don't have to be Dummies

As a matter of fact, star quarterbacks have to be pretty smart to learn the plays and how to react to changing field situations in split second time. Some of you older readers may remember Frank Ryan (was he with the Lions?) and a real star as quarterback. Well, Ryan had a PhD in Chemical Engineering (my chosen field of expertise, although not at that level). And many of today's QB's are very bright men. I don't know how many of them cover their brainpower with trophy wives although the mix of good looks and talent and brainpower isn't reserved to the men.

This story isn't as far-fetched as it might seem and coupled with excellent writing makes for a good read. Certainly worth my rating of 4* and maybe more.

I'm really not a big fan of interreligious coupling so a mix of Ellen Goldfarb and Cole Reynolds rubs me the wrong way. Ellen and Jeff Levine makes more sense, but I guess I'm old fashioned. And they're only 18 for G_d's sake and not settling down together forever. But I wonder what our author's agenda is in selecting these obviously unmatched ethnic names. From the theme of the Day of Atonement story I recognize a lantzman, but what is he doing with this mixed couple? Perhaps I should read some his other stories to see what his message is.

trigudistrigudisover 7 years agoAuthor
To Overcritical

Thanks again for your time and comments.

You're right, quarterbacks are generally very bright, and I didn't intend to make Cole sound like a dummy (hope he didn't come off that way). Intelligence is relative, of course, and a jock with a high IQ can still sound more like a jock than a Yale-educated intellectual. I know a secretary who scored a 34 on the Wonderlic, a 12-minute IQ test (given to NFL players, by the way). Her score corresponds to an IQ in the upper 120s (superior range). She never went to college and prefers reading Facebook to Plato.

Ellen isn't necessarily Jewish, though her last name implies as much. The public schools I attended in Maryland were mixed ethnically, and it wasn't unusual for people of different faiths to couple up.

ThelvynerThelvynerover 7 years ago
To overcritical

What does it matter if it is a interreligious couple or not. It has no bearing on the story at all and just makes you sound prejudiced.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Dam it!

I wanted to be Ellen Goldfarb's boyfriend but I was a short geek! She ruined my life by going after to Cole. What a hussy!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Quite unlikely that he would have an 8 track in 1965. The first ones were marketed in 1965 and probably wouldn’t have reached small town America until a year later. Also, “main squeeze” would not have been a term used by a small town high school principal in ‘65, more likely he would have said “steady girl.” I liked your story but the details got in the way a little. You might want to check with someone who was around at the time when writing a period piece. Still, thanks for a nice story.

trigudistrigudisabout 3 years agoAuthor

To Anonymous who posted on 4/11/21 - Thanks for reading and commenting.

8-track technology was released into the consumer market in 1965. Your point that Cole probably didn't yet have an 8-track is a valid one. He might have been one of the first consumers, though it's unlikely he'd have all those cassettes so early on. As far as the principal using the term "main squeeze," even people from small towns use the vernacular of hip. Moreover, the term is not a new one. In fact, it dates from 1896, so it's not a stretch to think that the principal would use the term to describe Cole's girlfriend.

WillowghbyWillowghbyabout 1 year ago
Dr. Frank Ryan, Phd.

(From one of trigudis' comments.)

I met Professor Ryan when he was teaching at Case Western Reserve and I was attending a Cleveland suburb high school in the late '60's. My nerd self was gobsmacked by a very challenging presentation he made one evening to our Science Club. Wish I could remember the topic. He was tall, handsome, clearly athletic, and had the few girls in the club swooning. Sorry to see that trigudis' story production has waned, although he still was making comments in 2021.

Keep 'em comin'!

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Cole and Ellen matured more quickly than their contemporaries and will likely be more successful in life than their high school classmates. Cole's male friends will begin paying alimony to women like Kayla 5-10 years after their marriages

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usertrigudis@trigudis
Free-lance writer who enjoys reading mostly non-fiction but also Nicholas Sparks romance novels and "serious" lit (John Updike, Irwin Shaw, Philip Roth, Herman Wouk). I enjoy writing these stories because it entertains me as well as the readership. Lit is unique in that wri...

SIMILAR Stories