There and Back Again Ch. 018

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Your greatest regret is failing in the training of an elf named Aneirin. You were young and impatient, and you feel you were a poor mentor. He escaped from the Tower, and you fear the templars killed him. However, they never found him; he's alive and well, living in the Brecilian forest, not with the Dalish but at least in contact with them. He is happy, Wynne, and he bears you no ill will.

"So. That's what I know about you, and trust me, I won't tell anyone else your secrets. They all have their own, and I won't betray them or you.

"Do you have any questions for me?"

Wynne appeared thoughtful, and she opened her mouth, taking a breath, then closed it again without speaking multiple times. I waited, patiently, while she worked through it.

"You sound like you know what will happen to me."

I nodded. "I can't guarantee that it hasn't changed - me being here has changed a number of things, so the future I knew already isn't the same, but I know what happened to you according to the performance."

"And can you tell me?"

"I can, though you need to be sure. I don't know the ultimate outcome for any of the others, but for you I do. However, I don't want it to taint the years you have left, knowing when and where you will die."

"You say years; I suppose that's probably enough for now. I wasn't convinced I would see the end of the Blight."

"You are way stronger than that, Wynne. The Blight will be over, and you will live several years after that. If you want to know more, think about it and ask me again."

"I'll think about it."

"So the big question is, do you believe me?"

"Sierra, you appeared from thin air right in front of me. I'd have to be mad to try to deny it. I never questioned that you were from somewhere else, and you proved the accuracy of your foreknowledge in the Tower. I just wanted to know how." Wynne gave me a smile, and I breathed a big sigh of relief. Wynne was the one I had most worried about convincing.

"So...since you know my future, do you have any advice for me? Aedan told me you gave him recommendations. I'd be curious to know what you might have to say for me."

"Uh..." The question floored me. I had to think for a minute, and then realised there were some things that always bugged me in the game. "Two things. One is don't call on the spirit on purpose to lend you strength unless it's a truly hopeless situation. It weakens it, shortens your life, and makes you faint. It's not pretty."

"I'll try to keep that in mind, though I don't really know what you mean by calling on the spirit. And the second thing?"

"Just try...not to be judgemental. At some point Aedan or Alistair may end up in a relationship. And you will disapprove, if the performance is correct, worrying that they won't be able to do their duty as Grey Wardens because they are in love. I just want you to wait before expressing that opinion. Because you will change your mind, but telling them how you feel will wound them both more than you know. Both of them are much better men than anyone will give them credit for, and will always do what is right no matter the cost to themselves. So try to...just be happy for them, when the time comes?"

"I will think about it. And, dare I ask: which of them will be in the relationship with you?"

"Me? Neither. That's just not in the cards, for me. They both deserve better."

Wynne raised her eyebrows, examining my face.

"I...see." She didn't; I could tell. It didn't matter if she understood or not, as long as I did. "What about Solona?"

"Well...I was just worried about her, knowing what I know about how Greagoir felt after she aided Jowan. And I thought we could maybe get a chance to see if I could help her."

"You're going to get Aedan to conscript her, aren't you?"

"Only if she wants."

Wynne's expression was unreadable, and I could tell I wasn't going to drag any more from her on the subject.

12