All Comments on 'Three Square Meals Ch. 042'

by Tefler

Sort by:
  • 87 Comments
Inevitable_Inevitable_almost 8 years ago
Great intro to the Maliri

Great chapter, more fascinating revelations about the girls' talents. Very curious to find out a lot of the psychic related stuff, still holding on for the revelation about John's healing to occur for the characters themselves. Very curious to find out why Alyssa became psychic although I'm starting to guess it's because she was the first although in some ways that theory is a bit weak.

Have to admit I'm very fascinated by the Bolon, they seem like a strange but interesting species.

The Maliri have me very intrigued. All male except one who panics at the sight of John and the girls. So many possibilities, from working for the Assassin, to working for a Progenitor, to something cultural to who knows what else. Of course there's the fact that nobody knows what they look like, that nobody gets into their space.

I'd probably be happier to have top of the line air filters than better lasers personally.

Eagerly awaiting the next chapter as always.

redlion75redlion75almost 8 years ago

new crewmate? new species means new mate right? if they think he is back with the fed navy then they wouldn't trade for good weapons that might fall into the navys hands. oh wait maybe they are related to jade, after 10k yrs they might have learned a few things?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Depressing to think sfi-writers imagining the future still think the Death Penalty appropriate

The Conclusion of the Calif Supreme Ct.'s abolishing the death penalty (later overturned by the US Supreme Ct.), People v. Anderson, 493 P. 2d 880 - Cal: Supreme Court 1972:

We have concluded that capital punishment is impermissibly cruel. It degrades and dehumanizes all who participate in its processes. It is unnecessary to any legitimate goal of the state and is incompatible with the dignity of man and the judicial process. Our conclusion that the death penalty may no longer be exacted in California consistently with article I, section 6, of our Constitution is not grounded in sympathy for those who would commit crimes of violence, but in concern for the society that diminishes itself whenever it takes the life of one of its members. Lord Chancellor Gardiner reminded the House of Lords, debating abolition of capital punishment in England: "When we abolished the punishment for treason that you should be hanged, and then cut down while still alive, and then disembowelled while still alive, and then quartered, we did not abolish that punishment because we sympathised with traitors, but because we took the view that it was a punishment no longer consistent with our self respect." (268 Hansard, Parliamentary Debates (5th Series) Lords, 43d Parl., First Sess., 1964-1965 (1965) p. 703.)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Spoiled

Yes, I am spoiled like a young child, 3 chapters or 17 pages on LitErotica in one (1) week.

The recovery of Rachel was expected, and nicely done. As a realist I think that transporting them to a Terran Base - or that a Navy ship picking them up - is a better way to deal with them, but why bother, they are to be executred anyway. Justice is a bitch to serve, but it shows that nobody - and I mean nobody - is above the law.

With the Maliri there are a few options:

- What will be the reaction when Calara "repairs" the broken black box, of course nit using her hands?

- What is the reason for the armour of the Maliri?

- Will they be able to retrofit the Invictus with better weapons and a new airco?

What have you prepared for is in the next chapter???

I am waiting for the next chapter, which may be a week after this chapter. Well, I will enjoy myself with reading the comments while I am waiting

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Another great chapter in this scifi epic!

I thought you made a good transition with regard to Rachel and will look forward to reading more and exploring more alien species!

And to the anonymous on the death penalty, I disagree with the death penalty strictly because i do not believe we are competent enough to administer it properly. I am not a pacifist because i think non resistance to evil is foolish. Destroy all that which is evil, so that which is good may flourish.

TeflerTefleralmost 8 years agoAuthor
Glad you liked the chapter

It's been interesting reading your comments, and I'm pleased to hear people are looking forward to finding out more about the Maliri!

I'm a little surprised at the comments about the death penalty, as I already established that piracy is a capital offence in the Terran federation, way back in something like chapter 13 or so.

I agree with the person below about the death penalty and the future. Killing criminals like that is a waste of a valuable resource. There's many useful ways they could serve society after a mind wipe, and a life sentence of indentured servitude as a mindless drone. Nerve stapling I think it was called in Sid meiers: alpha centuri. ;-)

TeflerTefleralmost 8 years agoAuthor
Chapter 43

I'm about a third of the way through at the moment, so it will probably be up on the site early next week.

Tefler

gregsjlngregsjlnalmost 8 years ago
Ayo

Waiting, not so patiently at the edge of my seat

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Thank you

Thank you for this magnificant series.

TeflerTefleralmost 8 years agoAuthor
In response to gregsjln and anon

Thanks, it's great to hear you're enjoying it!

Timtom12Timtom12almost 8 years ago
Glad to hear you're feeling better!

You've been pumping out the chapters this week! I look forward to learning how the species (specifically females) look. I'm also wondering if there is another stowaway on the 4th deck, someone could have just hidden when unloading.

dHt55dHt55almost 8 years ago
Excelsior

You have been watching too much star trek :)

TeflerTefleralmost 8 years agoAuthor
In response to timtom12

Thanks! Catching the flu was rubbish, and I'm still not 100% but I feel a lot better.

I've been looking forward to getting on to the Maliri for a while now, so that probably gave me extra incentive to get through the last chapters so fast. That and all the worried emails I received, from people who thought i'd stopped for good! :-)

TeflerTefleralmost 8 years agoAuthor
Excelsior

I just googled it as I couldn't remember what ship was called that in Star Trek. Honestly, that was just a coincidence! One of the editors asked if it was a homage to Stan lee, who also says it in the avengers movie.

It actually means "elevated" and is the sort of thing you see on hotels etc that are trying to be high quality. I just used it, because it sounded elitist and pretentious. :-)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
USS Excelsior

Think of the prototype ship in Star Trek 3 and what helped the Enterprise in Star Trek 6.

TeflerTefleralmost 8 years agoAuthor
An example of why Observer7/CheerfulB get's his comments deleted (and the anonymous sock-puppets he sometimes posts under)

Here's a delightful email he just sent me:

"It's so cool, girls half your age! I hope their fathers stab you in the gut."

You're white-knighting for fictional characters, do you realise how weird that is?

Probably time to seek some professional help...

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
TEFLER

love ur writing, took a while to start following because did not want to risk you leaving mid story but really happy that I did. n the way u have been spoiling us with 3 updates a week is great n I'm greatly looking forward to the next chapter...

the world creation and expansion is perfect.

there are so many substories going on that really keep u engaged...

Excelsior was perfectly pretentious and I didn't realize the mention like u until I read the comments.

Anyways, thought i'd comment and thank you for the engaging story... looking forward to all of it...

hoping you don't leave it midway as well the fact that it lasts forever...

-Devil

TeflerTefleralmost 8 years agoAuthor

Thanks for the nice feedback. :-)

Yeah, sometimes I do end up accidentally using words or names that I have picked up from from tv shows, books, or movies, without realising it. It's entertaining to have the extra references pointed out.

I do normally google any new species names, to try and avoid that happening though.

Glad you're enjoying it so far. I have this first "book" planned out, with a good stopping point, then I'll have a good think about how to progress it from there. I've been enjoying writing a lot, so I promise I won't just leave you hanging if I can help it!

Anyway, back to Chapter 43, about half way through so far...

slinkkyslinkkyalmost 8 years ago
Nymphs, Progenitor Politics and Maliri

Nice to finally learn what is up with the Lenarans. I was mostly right about them. What is most curious to me is that they were purposefully gengineered by the Progenitors. Nobody creates a whole species from scratch unless they have a purpose for them. It's a large expense of resources and time.

That leads to the question of what their purpose might be and why that purpose was simply abandoned. It speaks to a large political shift amongst the Progenitors ten thousand years ago. After all, nobody decided to claim that huge project after the resource was abandoned. Perhaps that happened because the Progenitors ran into something that defeated them, they fell to massive infighting, or maybe their politics simply shifted to isolationism. Since Progenitors are immortal, a probable cause of isolationism would be exhaustion -- done it all, screwed them all, tired of it all.

I've been very curious about the Maliri for a long time. Their appearance reminds me strongly of the Quarian from Mass Effect and I've always liked them. I wonder if they have the same reason for wearing highly decorative life support / armor.

All I know about the Maliri right now is that their sexes are segregated. It's not a lot to go on, but I am very eager to learn more. (I don't even know if Irillith's reaction would be common for a female Maliri or it was just her.)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Well done!

I like that a new chapter is coming out almost once every two days. In this chapter I was not surprised that the progenitors made the nymph species, it was kinda hinted at in earlier chapters. Why the progenitors made the nymphs? I don't know, maybe nymphs were made so that young progenitors will activate their psychic powers or that the progenitors 'whored' them out to other species to win them over. I also think that illith recongnized john in some way or at least recognized that John was a progenitor because you said the malari collect rare items, so maybe they came across some progen items or art. I also have a theory why malari wear those suits. They wear those suits because they probably can't handle much radiation or outside pressures. So their armor acts as a space suit sort of. Why ceraden was mean to irillith I don't know. Maybe John and the girls weren't supposed to see her or the object she was working on. Well, that concludes my theories and stuff. I want you to know that I love the series! And keep at it! I look forward to more chapters in the future, Sincerly a fan who has been reading since chapter five came out.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
awesome

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this series so far. Keep up the good work.

Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Thank you!!!

Thank you for a most intruiging chapter!!!

So many possibilities for new plot lines and twists in the current lines. Speculating about all of them will certainly fill some time until the next chapter.

Re: Anonymous comment on death penalty:

What you write is certainly true... in a (more or less) civilised society. But space is NOT and shall never be a civilised place. Space is so imperceivably large and dangerous that civilised ruling is absolutely useless. It is frontier rules (hard and swift) that apply out there. So Tefler is completely correct in writing that in space piracy is a capital offence.

And by the way, even in our "civilised" world for warriors of any type (and regardless of which side of anyone's law they are) sudden death is always an occupational hazard. But please try to distinguish a story (that means fantasy, remember?) and reality. And if you can, please remember that not every person's reality is the same.

To Tefler:

Please keep writing your story in your own unique way! The many comments every chapter of your story gets only illustrates how deeply many readers are immersed in your work, a definite sign of the excellence of your work.

Wishing you all the best!

R.W.

PussyLickersRusPussyLickersRusalmost 8 years ago
Okay, pretty much had all that figured out.....BUT!

Things i see:

The reaction of the Maliri woman was not inconsequential folks...wait and see.

Just love the pompous attitude 'save life at all costs' crowd. I often wonder what their reaction would be if their 12 year old daughter was about to be raped and/or worse and they had a gun in their hand...and we all know that answer: capitol punishment being judge, jury, and executioner. Anything less demeans their love of their daughter...and speaks highly of their true feelings...

Great, pacifist, cultured, and (relatively) free societies are allowed to exist and remain so ONLY because rough men (and women) stand ready to do violence on their behalf. Think about it. Otherwise, why hide behind police or take someone to court or even be outraged about 900 innocent people being killed in the bombing of the NY twin towers? DUH! If this is not so, I would own you and yours because I am bad enough to TAKE it from you...and if you resist I publically torture and kill you as a statement of terroristic manipulation so the next person remains passive. Well, I would be the one defending your sorry backside because you didn't have the ability or will to defend yourself...but you get my point. Pacifists can remain true to their beliefs only because others allow it by defending them with their lives. Sheesh, the blindness of some people.

Okay, off my soapbox. Tefler! GREAT chapter! loved it! MORE!! MORE!! MORE!! LOL.

PussyLickersRusPussyLickersRusalmost 8 years ago
OH! AND

mind wiping someone as a punishment is not passive...passive aggressive for the squeamish perhaps. It is forced enslavement. People prefer death to that (which is why they try to escape it even if it means their martyrdom).

Inevitable_Inevitable_almost 8 years ago

In regards to the death penalty. If the worst that comes out of human society in the next 750 years is a reversion to the death penalty for piracy but we still hold onto Western values as this story shows, it's been a good run.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
:)

That was awesome can't wait until the next chapter

TeflerTefleralmost 8 years agoAuthor
Refreshing to see so many of you share a similar outlook

Regarding the likely views of a future society to something so devastating as piracy in space. With space being so vast, the likelihood of an authority being able to intercede to stop any acts would be slim to none, so I can easily see the death penalty being introduced as a deterrent.

I was of course being flippant with my comments about nerve stapling and mind wiping, as such things are typically classified as atrocities when they are raised. I was just pointing out that breakthroughs in technology would mean there are *many* far more horrific options open to civilisations in the future, than the death penalty, which is comparatively quick and painless.

The unintended side-effects of some of the supposedly more "humane" punishments is a whole sub-genre of sci-fi in itself.

Anyway, interesting comments as usual, thanks!

SilvesterMSilvesterMalmost 8 years ago
How does that work?

So... Rachel relives some trauma's. At some they fix this... mental... issue by filling her with cum. How does that work? If the "reset" would work on the brains of the girls, their research would get nowhere. On the other hand, if it doesn't work on their brains, how did it help her in any way to get a better hold on her trauma's. Am I missing something?

thalt992000thalt992000almost 8 years ago
Some people my want to remember

That pirates have until modern day has always been looked at as a capital punishment offense. Because most it was kill or be killed granted that in some case they were found be enemy nations. And having Rachel shallow his cum was more for comfort than to heal they know only way she will get past it is to face it like what was done with Calara and the pirates.

TeflerTefleralmost 8 years agoAuthor
Well done Thalt992000

You explained it perfectly, thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
picturing Maliri

for mass effect fans:

I think a quarian designer armor with a turian figure...

-devil

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Mailing list

Hey tefler, I hate the 2 day waiting after u submit, do u have a mailing list so the ardent fans get access to the story immediately?

I'm certain we'll still vote and comment here afterwards...

-Anon fan asking for everyone

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
future possibilities

Hey Tefler, thanks a million times over for this great story.

I was wondering if you could give any insight to other girls john might pick up later on. Like will he get any other non-terran girls, like a maliri for instance, or somehow find another nymph? Also is there a chance that you will introduce a female progenitor? I think it would be interesting to see the dynamic between such a character and johns girls as I don't see see a female progenitor being "modified" in anyway, which could develop an interesting level of conflict with the girls. Hopefully you can answer my questions in some way. Can't wait for the next chapter!

TeflerTefleralmost 8 years agoAuthor
In response to future possibilities

You're very welcome! It's been amazing to get such an overwhelmingly positive response from people, not just on the comments, but from emails as well. Thanks for all the kind feedback everyone!

With regard to your questions about more female crewmembers. I'd love to answer, but if I left such spoilers in the comments, people would kill me.

If you really want to know, send me an email, and I'll give you a few more details.

Tefler

TeflerTefleralmost 8 years agoAuthor
In response to mailing list by anonymous

There's currently four people I work with who review chapters before they are submitted.

I currently don't have a mailing list, and don't really want to get into sending out copies with every release. If you're already corresponding with me via email, just let me know who you are, and we'll see what we can work out.

Tefler

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
no ugly maliri please./..

MAliri women issue to be revealed even if not a crew member...

\please let them not be a hideous race...

PoisonlovePoisonlovealmost 8 years ago
So in love with this story

I need to point out some things, there is an anonym asking for more females but why not another male? too many women for just one? and he can hold on while making love to his girls but how long can he hold if there is another female? another thing what about when he starts getting them pregnant? if he gets them pregnant at the same time there won't be a chance to travel around much since the babies would be demanding their mothers for a while and how could he deal with his orgies when the babies start to grow? Right now seems like all the girls are sooo ready to get pregnant... Lastly, I think Irillith is John's mother!!!

TeflerTefleralmost 8 years agoAuthor
Really interesting comment Poisonlove

Firstly, it's awesome that you're enjoying the story!

Secondly, I think you're the first person who's really talked about the pregnancy angle. Unfortunately I can't really answer your questions as it gives away too much future plot, but you raise some good points.

And lastly, interesting theory on Irillith. :-)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Great Story

One of the few stories I look for updates daily. This is a great story, been following it from the beginning and love it. I don't think she's John's mother but rather Rachel's mother. John's mother left when he was like 4 years old, while Rachel was 14 years old (flashback ten years). She probably got sold as a slave since her father wouldn't pay the ransom. Never did say they found her body. I can't see him getting them preggers yet because of the wars and travel yet to be lived and since they are immortal they can have babies anytime in the future. Looking forward to you next post...sooner than later I hope. LOL

Wolf_Man_1962

cittrancittranalmost 8 years ago
I highly suggest that once this entire thing has been finished...

You reupload it in two forms:

1.) In 10-chapter segments (because all at once would be fucking enormous at this point)

2.) To a separate filehoster (like zippyshare or mega) as an uneditable .pdf file, so that if people want to read the entire thing offline, they can.

(If you need help with turning it into a .pdf file, due to formatting, I can offer assistance; I aided Over_Red with turning Dream Drive into a massive pdf.)

DryshDryshalmost 8 years ago
This is why the Progenitors disapeared:

They got all their women pregnant at the same time and had to take care of hundreds of newborn babies. A few weeks later, the whole race committed suicide. :-p

slinkkyslinkkyalmost 8 years ago
Pregnancy

I forbore mentioning this until now, but the only thing that really troubles me about pregnancy in this story is why anyone believes that none of these girls will get pregnant until John decides. Because they are using birth control? Really? Their DNA has changed in ways that imply that they aren't even homo sapiens anymore. Well, it isn't impossible that their birth control methods of this century still work. That only leaves Jade. Maybe Jade just won't become pregnant before she gets permission since she has such control over her body.

I'm mostly surprised that nobody even asks if their birth control methods still work. I wonder if Rachel has examined the subject. Hopefully she'll investigate. Well, maybe John's biology is set up so that he fires blanks unless he decides otherwise.

TeflerTefleralmost 8 years agoAuthor
Pregnancy...

As this topic of conversation crops up lots of times between John and the girls, I'd already pre-planned an explanation for this.

Now that some of the more shocking revelations are out the way from her initial research, Rachel will be able to look into some other areas, like contraception.

I'll cover that at some point in the next few chapters.

TeflerTefleralmost 8 years agoAuthor
In response to Drysh

Just think of the mountains of nappies they'd have to bulk buy! :-)

South_TexasSouth_Texasalmost 8 years ago
Nappies & more ...

Consider Jade's ability to redirect John's seed to her breasts. Then the introduction of the third helix in vitro. Feti (fetuses?) sharing genes with their womb host is less of a stretch than John doing so with his lovers. Cock-sucking cum becoming baby-food?

What a wonderful adventure, even without my half-baked conceptions.

Perhaps poop is more food!

As to "Death Penalty":

Adjudicated (as by a court-of-law) may be an expression of "civilized" barbarity; too cold-blooded. I will grant this.

Immediate imposement is nothing more-or-less than survival behavior; always present throughout our (perhaps less than honorable) existence. Not bad when considered as a survival trait.

My personal view is that a known threat to my community does not have a greater right-to-life than its targeted victims.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Alyssa's Last Name

I know that in some of the later stories Alyssa is given John's last name, but in the original story her ID said Marant. Is that final or will Marant be brought up again? I've loved the entire series

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
too much thought...

people overthink a guilty pleasure too much...

let tefler create his world the way he sees fit and enjoy him sharing it with us...

the pc crap and logistics shouldn't exist in fantasy even if its so pervasive in subconscious that people are bringing it up on literotica...

everything is perfectly kinky for me until now...

but then again I'm

- Devil

TeflerTefleralmost 8 years agoAuthor
In response to Alyssa's last name

Her surname is still Marant for the moment, but I haven't forgotten his engagement discussion with her and Dana.

It was actually Dana who raised the idea of taking his last name as she didn't have a surname, previously only being known as "sparks" .

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Awesome story

This is by far the best space adventure story I have read on literotica. The sex fetish you have isn't something I enjoy but it isn't a turn off either. Other than that the story seems to be a combination of a Japanese manga called One Piece and the Mass Effect 2 with sex thrown in and mixed with artistic perfection. I am loving this story and waiting for the next chapter. Also kudos to your editors for a job well done. The grammar in your stories is very good. All in all this is a great story and I am looking forward to the future.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago

Again five stars and looking forward to the next chapter.

slinkkyslinkkyalmost 8 years ago
One Piece?

Anonymous says, "the story seems to be a combination of a Japanese manga called One Piece and the Mass Effect 2 ."

I certainly recognize a decent amount of Mass Effect 2 in this (which is a notable compliment), but I don't see One Piece. After watching over 700 episodes I think I should recognize it as an influence. What about One Piece do you think is similar?

TeflerTefleralmost 8 years agoAuthor
In response to the two anonymous posters

Thanks for the nice comments, glad to hear you're enjoying the story!

I played the heck out of Mass Effect 2 and have completed it half a dozen times, so you'll definitely see influences from that. I've never seen One Piece though, so any similarities there is pure coincidence.

AntiPriuSSAntiPriuSSalmost 8 years ago

I also see some star ship trooper in the Invictus

slinkkyslinkkyalmost 8 years ago
One Piece

One Piece is a Japanese manga and anime series. It's a good shonen fighting action with extremely likeable characters, intense action and involved stories. Of particular note is the author's high level of foreshadowing and ability to introduce story elements far in advance of the story arc where they become important. That is a level of story telling I've never seen in any other shonen fighting series.

It's also worth noting that every month when the list of best selling manga is released in Japan, One Piece is always number one. Even more astonishing is that it's sales are always slightly higher than the combined sales of the second through tenth best selling manga. Yup, this one manga has half the combined sales of the top ten.

However it's not much like Three Square Meals.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
About One Piece

Its not exact similarities but a similarity in the whole theme. The incredible navigator with unsurpassed skill. The engineer who is the best there is and the crew on whole taking on fights with odds way against them and still coming out barely unscratched. That said it is purely a feeling on my behalf and not an actual comparison. This story is awesome and I hope it keeps on going for a long long time.

BTW: I am the one who made the original One Piece comment. And I must say that I am surprised by the grammar discipline shown by every one in the comments section. It is strangely heart warming.

OkamiyashaOkamiyashaover 7 years ago
On The Subject of One Piece

I have been thinking the same thing about this having a similar uhhh, construction to One Piece, more along the lines of collecting crew members as you go instead of any specifics. I feel the same mounting excitement for the next crew member in TSM that I do in One Piece. Plus they are both as long as a walrus's Penis Bone, look it up those thinks are 2 feet long and could club an over weight seal.

Bimike43Bimike43about 6 years ago
Good writing, good story ..continues

Another good well crafted chapter. The only thing I find amusing is how “earth centric” the food and drinks seem to be. No “foreign” influence or foods. No Romulus ale or Zaditorian flame vodka or anything. Cooking with “eggs”- when probably 23 light years from actual chickens?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Something I noticed

Through out the tale so far, there’s been a few instances where John has been able to calm the girls with a command. Understanding now the dynamics of their transformation I get that. But in this chapter, John was able to effect an instant change. During Rachel’s reporting about john’s progenitor genes, he asked a question about him dying due to combat or something else. Rachel began to get upset until John gave a firm command to forget it. She immediately became cheerful again. Can he really affect them so much with his dominant commands? He altered them to his preferences including some independence, but the progenitor genes must instill an obedience factor into the girls regardless of their progenitors preferences. That seems like a mind control element to me. Is that explored later? I’m a first time reader.

JAFCritic

Horseman68Horseman68over 5 years ago
Second Reading.

Just gets better and better.

MLeopardiMLeopardiabout 5 years ago
Fourth time around

This story gets better each time I read it. I seem to find for shadowing that i didn't see before or little stabs that now that I'm so much further ahead makes me laugh. . Keep up the great work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Please, correct it for the book

First of all let me say I really enjoy this story to this point (except for the grandpa with "teens" side, but whatever). I have a scientific background but I do enjoy sify so I am usually able to get past incoherent stuff and technobabble. But ...

Telomeres are a highly repetitive region of DNA located at the end of every chromosome. They do exist because duplication of a strand of DNA require a RNA primer linked to the end of a strand, which causes information to be lost each cycle.

Telomerase add a short RNA segment behind the DNA, which is used instead with the primer. Telomeres can be extended this way.

We currently do not know the exact relation between age and telomeres, so saying telomerase (you can also descibe it as proteine/ribonucleoproteine/enyme/reverse-transcriptase if you wish) is linked to it may not be wrong ... however ... telomere do not repair DNA, telomere is DNA !

Sorry for the rant and thanks if you read it. Hope you fix that for the book.

PS: I'm not native so excuse my french.

PS2: I'm actually 5 chapter further but it really bugged me so ...

WretchedMonkeyWretchedMonkeyabout 4 years ago
RE: Anon and Telomeres not being responsible for repairing DNA.

I have no background in science apart from what I studied in high school and what I've seen and read in popular media. However, saying that telomeres are just DNA and can't be responsible for 'repairing' DNA seems dumb to me even as a layman, being that (as far as I'm aware) DNA is essentially blueprints/instructions for replication. Even if the telomeres are just like the plastic tip around the end of a shoelace, it's part of the whole and is responsible to help maintaining the structure.

After a casual internet search on Telomeres, I'm assuming that Tefler is referring to something called the 'Hayflick Limit' which postulates that each time a cell divides the telomeres as the end of each chromosome shorten until a limit is reached and parts of the information from the chromosome begins to be lost. There is mention of renewing or extending the longevity of the telomeres by supplementing the telomerase and thus extending the lifespan of the subjects. Having Telomeres that continually replenish themselves by emitting sufficient amounts of the enzyme telomerase should then lead to the chromosome not losing vital genetic information and essentially halting the 'aging' process. Utilising this idea in a Sci-fi story that has psychic powers at it's core, really isn't that much of a stretch in my opinion.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Re: Wretchedmonkey

I’m afraid that’s not how any of that actually works. I am not a layman (majored in biochem, minor in genetics, employed in medical research) so let me try to clear up a few things.

First of all, barely any of your DNA has to do with replication. A lot of it is garbage (extinct retroviruses, pseudo genes, repeated bits of code that got copied accidentally, etc.), some of it is structural, some is regulatory, and the rest encode proteins. A handful of those are involved in replication. The family of enzymes known as polymerases are most important here.

Polymerases are responsible for copying and repairing DNA. Unfortunately, they have to have a starting point to hold on to and that doesn’t get copied. That’s what telomeres are for. Bits of DNA that can be slowly lost over the lifespan of a eukaryote without damaging anything important.

Telomerase is a special kind of polymerase that can put those chewed up ends back on. That is all it does. It is not involved with DNA repair and it is not encoded by telomeres. If Tef had said John had super polymerase β, that would have made more sense. That one actually does fix broken DNA.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Leant versus Leaned

Leaned is American and modern ( since the late 18th century ), while Leant is an antique that is largely out of use. Although it will occasionally appear in British writings the word Leant is virtually obsolete. So, is Tefler of UK origins or is he implying a language shift back to that words usage in Terra-Federation 28th century? ,.. Love this story, and every time I think that you have blown it, you explain away what I thought was a problem, very well done, kudos! So much sex, and so much heroics, wonderful story telling,.. move over Homer! (and I do not mean Homer Simpson!)

Horseman68Horseman68almost 4 years ago
Little Do They Yet Know.

“She can be a real bitch,” indeed. 🚀

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

'My name is Rachel Voss. You killed my mother. Prepare to die.'

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
To Anony 04/30/20: Leant versus Leaned

I understand your discourse on "Leant versus Leaned"; leant is rarely used in the USA, but I believe it's still fairly common in the UK. Even though it sounds strange here, I think we all know the meaning and technically, both are correct.

Another example: I much prefer using "Leapt" rather than "Leaped." "Leaped" seems clumsy or awkward in many cases. Either word is correct, but to me, "Leapt" feels more elegant.

The word that many have argued over is "Pled vs. Pleaded." In this case, I prefer "Pled", but if I was writing something official, like a term paper or legal document, I'd use "Pleaded" since it's preferred in professional writing. Again though, both words are correct, even in legal doc's.

FVLL3NFVLL3Nover 3 years ago
And there she is

She is indeed a bitch but she is also one of my favorite characters.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Frighten Friday 🤣

Is what scared her so, and had her sprinting from the room. Can't wait to hear this story.

Maliri lasers sound very interesting.

DivwayDivwayover 3 years ago
Oh the Maliri are intriguing...

Maliri as a race, are intriguing from the beginning. John and the girls could be in for an interesting alliance here. Considerin how Rachel noticed the distinct lat of humanoid aliens the universe had.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

What an introduction. Interesting. Will they meet again?

Michael56SmithMichael56Smithover 2 years ago

***Spoiler*** Irillith, run for the hills, it's John and his girls! Eeck! and Yikes! But she would be correct (sort of) to react that way if she saw a 'normal' Progenitor (evil Asshats that they are) ... This should be interesting... ;-) TTFN

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Jade no easy enuh. How she hot so 🔥 🔥 🔥 A thousand (1,000) times yes, that's a lot of pregnancies 👀

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

We never heard about the ending of the pirate frigate or the captain. Instead we get told how ell the survivors got fed (before the Invictus was clear of danger...). Some serious details missing as well as a screwy timetable of events occurring.

Characters ages seem illogical. If Rachel is a "doctor" of medicine, how did she get that way by age 18? It seems a bit young for such a position. Consequently, she is indicated as a "teenager" with all but Jade holding some sense of reality in age. There seems a big discrepancy when age is considered, for many points of issue in this story. It seems the author threw this together haphazardly in chronology terms.

Otherwise we have a few different sex positions on offer, but the dialog is the same as the incessant preceding chapters. You would think that by this time, someone might need to use the bathroom facilities, but these women don't even bother to menstruate - go figure....

Ravey19Ravey19over 1 year ago

Interesting end to this instalment. There don't seem to be any comments here!

Michael56SmithMichael56Smithabout 1 year ago

Maliri Space, the Warning, Geniya Trade Station, All Male, Ceraden, Irillith, .... ;-) TTFN

texstertexsterabout 1 year ago
Jade, Pirates, and more

If I were the writer thoughts…

With the revelations in this chapter, it makes sense that the progenitors wouldn’t want them to handle weapons because they were probably slaves…I would want the Nymphs to have broken free of Progenitor control and fought them to a stalemate, then negotiated their freedom on Lenarran.

I didn’t think that the Rachael massacre really got the attention it needed to resolve what was a serious situation - at a minimum there should have been some paperwork and a discussion with the TFed authorities. No issue with the death penalty in space but it was a bit too easy to move past it.

If Irillith was sitting in a room where Ceraden would host visitors, then Maliri probably isn’t strictly segregated by gender. It is interesting to see her reaction, and from some of the comments it looks like she becomes an important part of the story, so I’m looking forward to learning more.

ranec1ranec112 months ago
Mean As!!

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

"I've got her now,"

Michael56SmithMichael56Smith11 months ago

More, more, I want more, ... Dana needs to explore the station, so much to see, so much to learn, ... and I like Ceraden, and I guess Irillith (the bitch) will grow on me, eventually, .... And as foretold, Maliri Laser tech is quite impressive, also, that 'Warning' was from centuries in the past, are their weapons even better now? ... I am ready to rush on to the next chapter, this story is so addicting, ... ;-) ttfn

Michael56SmithMichael56Smith9 months ago

Okay, an older discontinued model of T-Fed Cruiser, with a significant power core and FTL upgrade from the Ashanath, ... they come seeking Maliri weapons and maybe an advanced Air Filtration system, .... but before long they will go wandering onward to the Trankaran Republic for Engines and Thrusters, ... and then on to the Brimorian Enclave for some very good shields, ... John is going to have quite the ship when his travels are completed, ... now I want a Cruiser (also filled with lovely girls) too, .... ;-) ttfn

ranec1ranec19 months ago
WHERE IS IT!!

patiently waiting for the yellow N

oldtexasguy1oldtexasguy17 months ago

Overall the story is great , but the amount of sex in these is ridiculous . I find myself skipping over a lot of the sex parts just to get to some action. It needs more action & less sex. Just my opinion though.

Michael56SmithMichael56Smith5 months ago

Wow, travel time with 3x FTL drive on the Invictus, ... almost 200 light years from the pirate base to Port Cadmus, in 3 hours, that's pretty fast, almost 70 light years per hour, again Wow, .... ;-) ttfn

Michael56SmithMichael56Smith5 months ago

--- Rachel finally spots a Maliri female, ... That's Irillith, sorry but she can be quite a bitch! ... So, welcome to Geniya trade station, ...

--- six months or so since John and Ceraden last met, ... that's before John's 40th birthday by a few months? interesting, ... ;-) ttfn

ShaggyDogStoryShaggyDogStory3 months ago

I do have to wonder if the comments leaving glowing praise are reading the same story I am?

I'll try to remain constructive; I'm skimming almost everything now. I'm clinging on, curious to the core plot, but the constant sex, mealtimes, mutual backslapping and naps are beyond superfluous. It's a story, not a vlog.

Good stories need conflict - a crew member flips out, commits mass murder, and has a nervous breakdown, but it's all fixed by a shag, a meal and a lore dump, inside a few pages!? When things do go wrong, and given the dreadful complacency of the supposedly brilliant crew, it should far more often, it's wrapped up faster than an Australian soap opera plot line.

Less is more. This story could be a tenth as long and would benefit immeasurably from it.

Michael56SmithMichael56Smithabout 2 months ago

Genya trade station and Ceraden, .... the Invictus has a foot in the door with their mysterious Maliri neighbors, .... and (through master spy Dana) they will pick up on a few nice things, like the fresh Maliri Ait filtration system, and later, much better and longer-range sensors, ... worth their trip, even without the hoped-for weapons systems upgrades, ...

-- They plan on waiting a few days so they can perchase some electronics to use in trade with the Trankarans, ... and eat lots of yummy Maliri food, ... and buy some Maliri food with reciepes to load onto the Invictus, ... to keep their lovely Nymph happy, ... But what might Tef (Irillith) do to help them get their Maliri Beam lasers? ... stay tuned for more, ... ;-) ttfn

Michael56SmithMichael56Smithabout 2 months ago

Oh, shucky darn it, I alway see a mistake / typo right after I send the comment, and then I cannot fix it, so:

-- air, not art, ... master-spy, not master spy, .... purchase, not perchase, ... and receipes, not reciepes, ... there, now I feel better, .... thank you for your patience, ... see ya 'round the galaxy, ... ;-) ttfn

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTefler@Tefler
6819 Followers
Please see my Patreon page for the current progress on Three Square Meals. (I usually announce it here in the comments on the last chapter too!) https://www.patreon.com/user?u=3814558 I've added empire maps, as well as pics of the ships, guns, gear, and girls! *** ...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES