All Comments on 'Titus Ch. 01: The Eve of Battle'

by CptNature

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Lieutenant?

Not in any Roman Army that I've ever read about. Centurion maybe; more likely an Optio. And his servant is a woman? Even if true, there is no way that she would not speak enough Latin to get by after several months with him, especially if they regularly "practised" before dinner as you wrote.

CptNatureCptNatureover 8 years agoAuthor
Anonymous - Lieutenant? Reply

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I just thought I would reply.

On doing research I did see somewhere that Legatus was the equivalent of Lieutenant and decided to use that term, as while writing it was becoming apparent that I could have written a number of pages describing Roman/camp life. In all honestly, this was not something I set out to do.

The fact that the Titus' servant is a woman is purely a plot device. I'll hold my hands in the air and state the reason that she cannot speak too much Latin is that I struggle writing convincing dialogue and thought I had found a simple way out.

Either way, thanks for your feedback and these are definitely things I will be looking into for the next chapter. I hope you enjoyed the story besides your points above.

Thanks,

CptNature

ladycat745ladycat745almost 7 years ago
Great Story!

Please write more! Really enjoyed this.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous