To Walk a Mile

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I settled the bill." Ed said.

"Thanks. If you don't mind I'd like to just go back to our room and relax," she asked.

"Oh, sure," Ed said seeing the troubled look on Stephanie's face. He walked with her around the building back to their car. She drove them back across the road to the motel and they parked outside their room. They made their way upstairs and inside and Stephanie just stood in the middle of the room not looking at anything in particular.

"Is everything alright?" Ed asked.

"Maybe it was a mistake to come back. Maybe I just ruined the lives of four people." She was trembling so Ed pulled her against his chest and she clung to him.

"Nancy didn't look like you'd ruined her life. She seemed pretty happy." Ed responded as he rubbed Stephanie's back, feeling her begin to relax in his arms.

"Her husband and daughter's lives then. Nancy is going to tell them she's gay and she's leaving."

Ed didn't know how to respond to that. "I... I'm not an expert but I'm pretty certain you can't make someone gay. How is this supposed to be your fault?" he asked in confusion.

Stephanie chuckled against his warm chest and felt herself relaxing further. She really loved being in his arms.

"You're right, of course. It isn't my fault. Just bad timing is all," she said using her friend's words. She suddenly felt exhausted by the stresses of the day, the long drive and the brief reunion with Nancy. "Could we just go to bed and snuggle?"

"Sure!"

They got ready and slipped under the covers of the big bed. Stephanie cuddled up against Ed and purred at the feel of his thicker muscles. But before she could act on her impulse to jump his bones she nodded off.

Chapter 3

Ed sat next to Stephanie in the law office conference room listening to the ticking clock on the wall. There was no other sound in the room even though Stephanie's brother Jeff, his wife Jenny and their five kids were sitting in the room with them.

He and Stephanie had arrived first and were brought to the room to wait on the arrival of the lawyer. Maybe ten minutes passed before the door opened and a tall older man walked in with a sturdy and pretty blond woman at his heel. The big man froze two steps into the room when he saw his sister.

"Hello Jeff," Stephanie said with a quiet voice.

"What- what are you doing here?" he replied with incredulity.

"Mr. Carson found me and told me I needed to be here," she replied.

Ed looked closer at Jeff and saw some family resemblance to Stephanie. They had the same eyes and chin but Jeff's face was deeply tanned and weathered from working outside. He was almost as tall as Ed though his body seemed to be lean and hard, especially his hands which looked rough and scarred. The only softness seemed to be the small bulge at his tummy.

The woman behind him was only a few inches shorter though she was carrying more weight than her husband. She had sunny yellow hair going grey and a naturally open and friendly expression which contrasted with her husband's more closed off glare.

Ed saw the curious faces of his kids peer into the room around their mother's back. He smiled at them and the tallest, a blonde girl who was probably eighteen, smiled in return.

"Well, he didn't tell me you were going to be here!" Jeff barked.

"Jeff, who are they?" the woman at his elbow asked.

"I don't know who the kid is but this is Steph," he grunted angrily.

"Stephanie? Your sister?" the woman asked with wide eyes.

"Yes, I'm his sister."

"You've got no right to use that term since you abandoned your family!" Jeff growled.

Stephanie's temper flashed as memories of how he treated her resurfaced. "Abandoned? Jeff, you did your best to drive me out! Every day you found an excuse to hit me! You made my life at home a living hell and did your best to destroy any life I had away from home! Then I heard you plotting with Mama and Papa to marry me off to one of your buddies! Don't talk to me about family as if you cared for me at all!" Ed had his arm around her stomach to keep her from rounding the table to tear into her brother. He was wide eyed himself at the words coming out of Stephanie's mouth.

Jeff scowled at his sister but he didn't deny her words. The woman at his elbow looked between the siblings in surprise. "Jeff? Is what she said true?"

The big man came back to the moment and realized his wife was there and heard his sister's words. His face scrunched up in distaste. "You have to realize how tough times were for the family back then and how disruptive she was. A regular trouble maker taking our parents through one crisis after another. Mama and Papa were too busy to keep her in check so I had to. Besides Duncan would have made a fine husband and we could have merged the two farms into one-"

"Duncan?" the woman gasped. "Duncan Nettleson? You were going to marry your sister to that creep?!? As a business deal?!?"

Jeff's scowl got deeper. "Duncan wasn't always like he is today. Maybe with the right woman he wouldn't have done... those things he did."

The woman shook her head angrily and walked around the table to Stephanie. She held out her hand. "I'm Jenny Norris. I married your brother about six months after you left and we had our first child, Jillian, a year and a bit later." She gestured for the tall blond to come meet her aunt. The other kids scurried after her. Jillian shook Stephanie's hand with a big smile on her face. The young woman was taller than her mom, almost as tall as her dad and had her mother's long blond hair and curves though her younger body was carrying much less weight.

Ed saw the next tallest was a boy who was probably sixteen or seventeen. He had his father's build and the lean muscles hard work had earned him.

"Jack is our second child who arrived a year later. He's almost all grown up now. Getting big and strong like his Papa." Stephanie smiled and shook the boy's hand as he smiled at her shyly.

"Jamie was next to arrive just eleven months later. She's becoming quite the beauty," Jenny said drawing an embarrassed groan from the girl.

"This is Josie. She's two years younger than Jamie, such a sweetie! And finally we have our youngest, Joseph, who is two years younger than Josie. That's the brood." Jenny smiled happily at her kids then she looked to Ed.

He was looking at the family in surprise. He'd never met a family whose initials all matched. So many 'J' names! He wondered what that would be like. He looked over at Stephanie but she appeared to be a little shell shocked from meeting so many new nieces and nephews. Ed took it upon himself to make his own introduction.

"Hi, I'm Ed Walters. Stephanie's boyfriend."

Jenny's face froze as she looked up at the young man she'd assumed to be Stephanie's son. She turned her eyes to the woman and saw the blush on her cheeks and the smile on her lips. "Boyfriend?" Jenny managed to squeak out.

Jeff made a loud snort of disgust and walked over to a chair in the corner of the room to wait.

Ed blinked at Jeff's response and took in Jenny's unease. He opened his mouth to ask what was wrong but stopped when Stephanie placed her hand on his arm.

"Yes, Ed is my boyfriend. I got married a few years after I left home and had four beautiful children. William, who's eleven, Katey who's ten, and the twins, Franklin and Gina, both eight. When I discovered my husband had multiple affairs and wouldn't stop I divorced him. The paperwork went through not too long ago. It was how Mr. Carson found me. I met Ed around the time the divorce was finalizing."

Jenny nodded and smiled weakly then made her way to sit down next to her husband. She gestured for the kids to take the remaining chairs next to her. Jillian was looking at Ed with an expression he couldn't identify so he just allowed Stephanie to guide him down into the chair next to her.

So here they sat, in silence, waiting for the lawyer.

Ed needed to use the washroom so he whispered to Stephanie to let her know. He might as well have shouted as the silence made his words sound too loud anyway. She nodded and he made his way into the hall. He spotted the room in question down the hall and made quick use of the facilities. He washed and dried his hands and stepped out to come to an abrupt halt as Jillian was standing just outside the door.

"You're my aunt's boyfriend?" the young woman blurted.

Ed blinked at her. "Yes. I think we were both pretty clear on that point."

"What do you want from her? Is she paying you?" Jillian pushed as she scowled at him.

Ed was struggling to understand where her animosity was coming from. He didn't even know her and until a few minutes ago she didn't know Stephanie.

"I don't want anything from Stephanie. She doesn't pay me. I have my own job."

"Let me guess, as a gigolo?"

"No, I work for Drakos Heating and Cooling. I'm certified to do installations, inspections and maintenance on all sizes of heating and cooling system. What's a gigolo?" Ed asked curiously.

Jillian was looking at him funny again and Ed didn't know what to do.

"Jilly! Mom wants you back in the room." Jack called out from down the hall as he approached.

The young woman gave him a frustrated look. "Don't you hurt Stephanie!" she growled quietly then turned and rushed back to the conference room.

Jack continued to approach and stopped at the washroom. He turned to look at Ed. "I think you'd better go back too." He stepped inside the washroom.

Nervous, Ed hustled back to the conference room and when he opened the door he heard shouting.

Stephanie was standing toe to toe with Jeff who was red faced. The man's hand was up and he looked like he was going to hit Stephanie. Jillian was screaming at her father and Jenny was calling out to him as well.

"STOP!" Ed roared and everyone froze. "Mr. Norris, please sit down before you do something you will regret very much."

Jeff lowered his hand and glared at Ed but the big man didn't blink. With a final snort he returned to his chair. Ed made his way around the table to Stephanie's side and saw she was trembling with unspent adrenalin. She'd been very brave to face her tormentor from all those years ago.

"I'm very proud of you," he said quietly.

Her eyes shot to his and a rush of love spread through her body as she saw he understood. She nodded, unable to speak at the moment.

Jack returned to the conference room but this time Mr. Carson's secretary was with him. She addressed the group.

"I'm terribly sorry for the delay but Mr. Carson was called to the bedside of an old friend and client. Mr. Patterson is dying, probably won't see sunset the poor dear. He's called on Mr. Carson to do some last minute adjustments to his will so Mr. Carson will not be able to do the will reading today. He's asked if you could come back tomorrow at 4PM?" the older woman asked.

"This is bullshit! Jerking us around and ambushing me with her!" Jeff bellowed.

"Mr. Norris, no one is being 'jerked around' and I know nothing about any ambush. The situation is not in my control. Are you available to come back tomorrow or not?" the secretary said calmly.

Jeff just scowled then nodded reluctantly. The woman turned to Stephanie who just nodded.

"Again, my apologies for the delay. Thank you for your patience and we will see you tomorrow at 4PM," the woman said and left the room.

Jeff turned his scowl on his sister then stormed out of the room with his youngest kids following. Jack looked back at his mother.

"We'll be right out," she said to him and he rushed out after his father.

Jenny turned her face towards Stephanie and her conflict was plain to see. She wanted to follow her husband but his behavior had left her confused.

"It's ok." Stephanie said to her. "What Jeff put me through is between him and I... unless he's been abusive to you as well?"

She shook her head vehemently and Stephanie visibly relaxed. "Good."

"We're so sorry! I've never seen him behave this way!" Jenny said.

"See you tomorrow," Stephanie said sinking back into her chair as her adrenalin ran out.

Jenny gathered her daughter who looked like she wanted to protest and moved them out the door.

"I'm so sorry I left the room. I didn't think he'd do that with his whole family watching!" Ed apologized.

"It's fine Ed. You're not responsible for his behavior. That's my parent's doing. They pit us against each other. Made it impossible for us to behave as brother and sister. Always competing for their love." Stephanie shuddered as she remembered. "I finally clued in when I reached my teens and hung out with a few of my friends at their houses. I saw how normal families interacted and realized how broken our home life was. I tried to convince Jeff we didn't have to compete but he was too far gone. That's when he increased his hitting. I took years of that abuse. I think Jenny is keeping that from happening in their home. Maybe the cycle ends with Jeff."

Ed took her hand and gently kissed her knuckles in sympathy. Stephanie smiled at him. "What do we do now?" he asked.

She looked out the window and contemplated the endless blue sky of the hot spring morning for a moment. A mischievous smile appeared on her face. "Did you bring a swim suit?"

Ed blinked in surprise. "Uh, no."

"That's ok. We'll pick one up at the dollar store." She stood up and pulled on Ed's hand. "Let's go swimmin' in the ol' swimmin' hole," she said with a grin.

Ed was glad to see her spirit bounce back but her grin made him a little nervous.

They stepped out of the building and spotted Jenny and Jillian standing in the shade next to the parking lot. They walked over to the two women. There was no sign of Jeff or the kids. Jenny's face was red with suppressed anger.

"What happened?" Stephanie asked.

"He left without us!" Jenny snipped. Jillian looked at Stephanie with an embarrassed expression.

"We'll give you a lift home." Stephanie said.

"No, it's fine. He'll come around-" she began.

"That would be very kind of you. Thank you!" Jillian interrupted and glared at her mother.

Jenny looked at her daughter sharply then seemed to collapse a little. "I'm sorry. I'm just upset. It's been a trying day."

"Not a problem. Let's go." Stephanie led them to the rental car and they piled in. She was driving once more and Jillian sat behind her with her mother behind Ed. Stephanie got directions from Jenny and they made their way out of town along a back road. Jenny continued to explain that Jeff got a deal on a house a few miles out of town in the direction of his parent's farm.

"What are your plans today now that the reading was postponed?" Jillian asked and received another sharp look from her mother.

"I'm taking Ed to the lake I used to swim in when I was just a little younger than you." Stephanie said glancing in the rear view mirror with a smile.

"That sounds wonderful!" Jillian said wistfully.

"If it's ok with your mother, you could join us."

"I don't know-" Jenny began.

"Please mama!" Jillian begged.

Jenny pointed to the next lane and Stephanie pulled into the driveway of a large two story farmhouse.

"Please!"

The mother saw her son waiting on the front steps and saw his relief as he spotted her. Such a dependable young man. She turned to Stephanie. "Would it be ok if you took Jack as well?"

"Sure," Stephanie agreed.

Jillian glanced at her mother to protest but held her tongue and hopped out of the car. She leaned against the driver door. "I'll get my swimming stuff and be right out. Don't leave without me!" She received a nod and dashed back to the house collecting her brother on the way.

"I'm sorry it turned out like this." Jenny said as she reached Stephanie's door.

"It's not your fault. This was a long time coming. Jeff is right about one thing. I ran away. What he refuses to acknowledge is his part in the reason I did." Stephanie said sadly.

Jillian rushed back out of the house carrying a small backpack and a beach towel. She was also crying.

"Where's Jack? What happened?" Jenny asked as Jillian just stormed past to get into the back seat of the car.

The front door of the house opened and Jeff walked out to glare down on them.

As Jillian wasn't talking, Jenny looked up at her husband. "Where's Jack?"

"He's not going but the bitch can leave if she wants. She can stay away for all I care. Now tell that whore and her boy toy to get off my property," Jeff yelled back.

Jenny looked at Stephanie. "Maybe you should go." She looked in the window at her daughter. "Call the house later and I'll let you know when he's calmed down."

Stephanie nodded grimly and backed out of the driveway. They got maybe fifty yards down the road when Jillian spun in her seat.

"STOP THE CAR!" she cried.

Stephanie pulled over and they looked back to see Jack climb up out of the field behind them to run after the car. He was carrying a backpack and a towel as well and was breathing hard by the time he reached them. He got in and rested back against the seat as his sister smiled at him. Jillian gave his shoulder a little punch as Jack smiled back at her.

They got back underway and Stephanie glanced in the mirror. "Where is the best spot we can go to pick up swimsuits, towels, and lotion?"

Jillian looked at Stephanie in surprise. "Oh, well, there's a department store in town that has that stuff but they don't have a very good selection."

"We're not picky. Just something to wear when we swim and lie out in the sun. Right, Ed?"

"Sure," he replied, worried that they wouldn't have his size.

They followed Jillian's directions and made their way into the department store. The young woman was right. The selection was terrible but Ed was delighted to find a suit that looked like it had plenty of room in the areas he wished to hide. Stephanie pouted at the apparent looseness of the suit but couldn't argue with him. She found a bikini that wasn't too bad even if it was kind of plain.

The towels and lotion were easier finds. Ed picked up an insulated duffle bag cooler, a twelve pack of spring water, a six pack of cola, and three bags of ice. Jillian and Jack were in charge of getting the snacks. Stephanie paid for the swimsuits, snacks, towels, and lotion and Ed paid for the cooler, ice and the drinks.

They got back in the car after Ed arranged the drinks in the cooler with the ice poured on top.

The lake was about a twenty five minute drive away.

After they'd traveled half the distance Ed turned to look at Stephanie. "How did you get to this swimming hole when you were a kid?" Ed asked her and she smiled at the memory.

"We rode our bicycles. It's only twenty miles from town. I went everywhere on that bicycle." She glanced over the seat at Jillian and grinned. "I used to get home late and catch hell from your dad. I had to hide the bicycle but he eventually found it and drove over it with the tractor. He told our parents it was because I'd left it behind the wheels. Do you guys cycle?"

"No. Papa won't let us have bicycles," Jack said.

"Aww, I'm sorry. That's probably because of me. He saw how much freedom it gave me and he didn't like it. How do you get around then?" Stephanie asked.

"School bus during the week. On the weekends I walk into town if Mama isn't driving in." Jillian answered and Jack nodded.

"I'm getting a driver's license but we only have one car so I don't know when I'll get to drive," Jack explained.

"What about you Jillian? Are you getting your license too?" Stephanie asked.

"He won't let me take the test."

Stephanie glanced in the mirror once more. The young woman was scowling out the side window and just for a second Stephanie saw herself.

They drove on in silence until they reached the park. As they were just using the beach they paid a small fee and parked near the boat launch. There was a relatively sandy beach running beside the launch area.