All Comments on 'Together—You and Me'

by rwsteward

Sort by:
  • 79 Comments
PennLadyPennLadyabout 14 years ago
I know I'm biased ;)

Nice job! Well thought out, well paced and plotted. Best of luck on the next one!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Really nice job!

You did a great job showing Dean's progress and regression. I really enjoyed their story.

NikkiVredNikkiVredabout 14 years ago
happy tears

I just love this story.one of the best ever :)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Wonderful

It isn't often that a story will make me emotional, but you managed. I well written story, well paced, very easy to loose yourself in. Thank you for making me feel all that you did.

CarcamCarcamabout 14 years ago
Been There

I know what he was going through ! I went through that shit for 33 years before I was able to get professional help, that did help me !! But for 25 years I had a wonderful women to help me - even if most of the time she didn't understand how, what or why !!! Without her I wouldn't have made it either. A beautiful story - thank you & keep writing !

CCH

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Very Touching

You did an EXCELLENT job on this story, plus the verbalization of how to love a woman and a woman to love a man---WELL DONE !!

Sam

oldwayneoldwayneover 13 years ago
What a beautiful story.

It left me with tears in my eyes. I don't know that I have ever read a better love story than this one. Thank you so much for what you do.

mwall23mwall23over 13 years ago
Thank you

This was a wonderful story. I was never in the military, but I try to do what I can to help veterans. I just found your story and it was wonderful and had me in tears. You are a wonderful author and are now one of my favorites.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Really Fine

Thank You

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

Amazing. Spirit speaks through this story.

Thank you from The Mother.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
great story

Most people do not see in to the human soul like this story

You had me crying at the end

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
LOVELy

i liked it,. it was so endearing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Amazing

I am a young vet myself and this story really hit me. I can tell your writing with experience and I hope that the story that inspired it was a happy ending as well. I am at a loss for words, this was remarkable.

Doc Hal~

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago

It was so touching - I cried.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago

This story screams out for at least a Part 2!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Beautiful!!

Please write a part 2!! I know it will be just as beautiful and heartwarming as this one.. While I wait, I'll go read your other submissions. Keep up the brilliant work!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Excellent

That was one of the most romantic stories i've read. You have a gift. Excellent Work

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
There has to be a part 2 to the story.

Well done sire, tears are welling up in my eyes. Maybe you'd be kind enough to write a short epilogue or a one-page story of their marriage if they got married?

juanviejojuanviejoabout 12 years ago
Cinco Estrellas!

PTSD is a lonely journey. Too often it becomes "Journada del Muerto". You seem to understand it well, Hermano. Thank you for a very sensitive treatment of it in you story, which was also a great love story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
PTSD unless you have it you dont know

Thank You for your story. It so graciously tells of the pain of those who you could not save and how it changes your life. Thank You Former Aviator

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
WoW

I'm a Gulf War (1st) Veteran, and am also a Disabled Veteran. I read this story, and had tears in my eyes throughout. I'm a male, but this story really touched me. I truly do hope there is a continuation.

kansasjackkansasjackover 11 years ago
I am one of the very lucky ones who came back

The year was 1967 - @ Chu Lai, Vietnam - on a Sunday night - about midnight - I was a Corporal in the Marines - 20 years old. Everything seemed to happen in slow motion at first & it was as if it took me 20 min. to get to my foxhole. Still today I can see & hear almost everything that happened. You never forget the first time you face combat & there were mortars incoming from everywhere. Sand bags are nice but they aren't mortar proof. It was as if they had a map and knew the coordinates of everything they wanted to hit. Just one degree of change in their aim and I wouldn't be one of the lucky ones. Times were very different then and none of us were popular or very well liked. At least that has changed today. Thank all of you who support our troops today because they didn't ask to be where they were and now they have some support when they come home. Remember this about war ... better there than to worry about IED's in NYC or your home town.

Semper FI

RhomanovRhomanovover 11 years ago
Understanding

Until you have lost a brother in hell, you cannot understand .....

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Wow

Wow, wow, wow, wow . . .

HansTrimbleHansTrimbleover 11 years ago
Very moving

This story puts it all together. Everything in our world lives in us, and sometimes we can't quite separate now from then, love from hate, warmth from cruelty, lust from pure survival. It is simply beautiful, and will live in my memory for a long time.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
THANK YOU

for all the GIs that got fucked over by their wifes. for all of you that had a wife not strong enough to stand by you in your time of need, i pray that you will find this kind of love. you served your country and deserve to be honored and LOVED. THANK YOU rwsteward

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
I glad you wrote this

The tears are flowing free again. I've held so much in lately. You've help release the deamons from my mind, at least for a while.

Thanks,

Sole Survivor 1969

Scotsman69Scotsman69about 11 years ago
Touchingly lovely

Thank you.

SlimpietSlimpietalmost 11 years ago

Damn you for making this big man cry.....

auhunter04auhunter04almost 11 years ago
less we never forget

somebody been cutting onions on my keyboard

xtchrxtchrover 10 years ago
What A Story!!!

This is what writing is all about.

I don't have enough adjectives to describe my feelings for this story.

I didn't want it to end.

yankeecatladyyankeecatladyover 10 years ago
Wonderful

I'm still crying!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Well Done!

No matter what you never really forget. I am fortunate that I too found a woman who holds me and helps when I wake up screaming. The things I see are blurring now, but, they are still with me. You have a gift! Thanks for sharing what it takes for some of us.

USAF 1965

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
PTSD an equal opportunity torture

What a beautiful story! I've never served in uniform, but I know the mental torture and deep heartache of living with the pain of physical and emotional traumas! As a toddler I was sexually assaulted, but didn't have the comprehension & vocabulary to explain what happened until I was much older (blessing or curse I have many, very clear memories from a Very young age). Again at 16 I experienced a sexual assault, this time while I was old enough to fend off the physical advances, the damage was psychologically more damaging as he was a very close "grandfatherly" friend who obliterated my trust! I've been in a series of car accidents leaving me disabled & in constant pain since my late teens. All of these mostly "invisible" pains are still a source of daily struggles for survival! The internal battle to deal with what you feel is "your problem" & to not involve, or inflict "your pain", on those you LOVE the most, can lead to some actions viewed by most people as VERY selfish, but in that deeply depressed state can feel like you are SAVING them from the harm of YOU!

Your beautiful, loving, & insightful writing in this & the "Epilogue" (having come across and read both today), will perhaps Inspire those suffering to keep fighting to find the help they need & those who love them to never give up! Bravo on excellent writing! I now have the joy ahead of reading more of your work!

calgarycamperscalgarycampersabout 10 years ago
well done

this was awesome. PTSD is a huge killer of people who are heroes, both in the US and in Canada and we are just beginning to understand the real pain they are going through.

Well written. Another author on Lit wrote a very good series on PTSD and veterans. It took some prodding to get him to finish it as some people took offense to the references to God and the lack of sex. in the end, it brought out some great comments from people who are in similar situations.

This is a great tool to get PTSD out in the open and I am so glad you wrote such a good book. I am going to read the second part right now.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
WOW!

I was in Iraq but never had to face what Dean did, so only being able to vote it a 5 is somewhat of a letdown! Awesome story and great ending - no one will ever know what each individual is facing when they come home from war, but you did a masterful job. Thanks and keep up the stellar story telling!

tm

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago

Thank you for your wonderful story.

I tried to help a very dear friend, but did not get to share a Christmas gift.

I miss him to this day, and always will.

To those that have served and still do, thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
My God!

I have never commented before. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes, and I am in awe of the story. I give it a 6+.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Good, but not amazing.

I liked the concept and the story, but it was too fast paced and there wasn't enough character development.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
a fellow soldier

I connected to this story in a way that most people can't. I too was deployed to Afghanistan. But there was one word that when I read it I froze for what felt like hours. I was flooded with emotions and memories. It was when I read Kunduz. I was stationed at FOB Kunduz for 10 months. I lost friends there. I was in convoys hit by ied's. My vehicle was hit by an ied. The only ones that truly understand are those that have been there and seen it, lived it. It didn't destroy me. Don't let it destroy you. Lean on your brothers that were there and understand.

txcrackertxcrackerover 9 years ago
DAMN !

Slimpiet put it better than I could .

Thanks

TX CRACKER

rightbankrightbankover 9 years ago
toward the end it was really hard to read

for some reason my vision kept getting blurry.

JPBVJPBVover 9 years ago
From a Viet vet

Good job ... Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Amazing love story.

Thank You!

wargameronewargameroneover 9 years ago
Truely Amazing

This one was written from the heart. It is one of the few stories that I have read here which really got into my heart. Can't wait to read the conclusion. But I will have to take some time so I can stop the tears from falling. Thank you so much for this story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
I'm sharing

I'm currently at Camp Pendleton, California, a Marine Corps base, as a civilian. I'm a coach for the Wounded Warriors Marine Corps Wheelchair Basketball team. I also suffer from Traumatic Brain Injury but not from war related issues. Some of the TBI symptoms are the same as PTSD.

I was just talking to another coach the other day. Her boyfriend is a wounded Marine who suffers from PTSD. She's heartbroken because he won't let her in his life or allow her to get close to him. She doesn't know why.

She told me she begs him to let her in. The more she does, the more distant they become. He actually moved from Florida to California and so they're now a country apart.

Because if my TBI issues, and even though I've been married for many, many years, I fear, everyday, that my wife, no matter how much I know she loves me, will eventually leave me because I have personality disorders and temper issues. I become very difficult to deal with. Over the last 6 years, I have lost nearly every friend I have.

I gave my new friend the same advice your story repeated over and over. I told her the best thing she could do, no matter how difficult he gets, to let him know that she will always be there for him. Tell him she will never give up on him or leave him.

Amy, in this story, did just that. It's the best thing to do for those of us struggling with these issues. It took a few years, but I'm finally about 99.999999% convinced that my wife will never leave me. As contradictory as it sounds, I'm still 99.999999% convinced that she will. It's a never ending struggle.

THANK YOU FOR WRITING THIS! I'm making a copy to share with my new friend. I don't feel comfortable sharing a "sex" story with her but I will pass along the link in case she is interested.

rightbankrightbankalmost 9 years ago
The Title could also be

A Promise - Kept

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Living and Re-Living

Thank you for this wonderful story. I too am a veteran, of both Viet Nam, and Desert Storm. I too have lost many friends, two marriages, and several jobs. I tend to push people away, so it doesn't hurt as much when they leave. As Dean, I too went to the V.A. when my life fell into the downward spiral of PTSD. As of this day, I have not been able to maintain a meaningful relationship with a female, and have finally accepted that I will never have that bond or connection again. It is a conclusion I have come to, realizing I am a man unto myself. I have not found anyone willing to tolerate my sleep patterns, or my tendency to withdraw into myself. I want to thank you for addressing some of the issues you have brought forth in this story, and am looking forward to the Epilogue. With Deepest appreciation.

JAUNTYOLDONEJAUNTYOLDONEover 8 years ago
I have a friend !!!

I have a friend a former Marine who came home from Viet Nam in a 3/4 body cast and to this day hates the REMFs who not let him go back to be with his brothers and to this very day is still being treated for his PTSD. Thank you for your story !!!

CarolSoCalCarolSoCalalmost 8 years ago
Wonderful

A powerful story showing the strength a

real love can give someone. It's great reading all the comments from fellow veterans, each telling how this story had impacted them, and me, This tale is one of the few on Literotica that transcends the normal range of emotions displayed here, and taps in to deep, powerful, and very personal raw emotions. Many of us reading this are veterans off combat and we all relate to some degree with the main character in this story.

Thanks to the author for s very moving story. I'm gonna go cry now......

beachfreakwhvbeachfreakwhvover 7 years ago
God...

What a wonderfull story!

Thank you vor that! 👌👍

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Life.

I too am a Nam Vet that has lost friends to that war. I also lost my first wife to diabetes (she was 49) and a son to cancer (he was 27). I stayed in the Air Force for 20 years. I met and finially married my second wife, we have been together for 16 years now, I still have problems in my head but she is helping me thru them. Thank you for this story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
One of the finest stories on Literotica

Your story touched my heart and made tears run down my face. I am not a veteran, and don't know many veterans. However. my frequently depressed mother tried to kill herself about eleven times, and almost succeeded once. She was saved by my father,

whom she later divorced, and never regained the use of her left hand. ( Eventually, she died from a stroke, years later.) So I have some insight into Amy's courage as well as Dean's pain. Thank you !

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Veterans Day Today ...

Dear Sir,

Thank you.

It chokes me up and brings a tear, some thoughts, some memories.

I pray you an "AMY" in your own life, now and forever.

Sincerely,

A Veteran

rightbankrightbankover 7 years ago
painfully

beautiful

a work always in progress

TheOldRomanticTheOldRomanticover 7 years ago
Great, lovely and painfull story

A really dramatic romance.

I had a coworker who was in Afghanistan (not in the US Army). He returned alive, but with a disease that was about to cost his life, leaving him disabled for ever.

The support of a person who loves you is vital in these cases, and in this story, Amy is that person.

I must say, that I had begun to read the continuation of this story, but upon seeing the author's foreword, I changed this chapter before continuing to read.

In my life, I have seen death from an early age (7 years), and it has always made me very crazy when it has happened to me, sometimes I still have visions ...

5 * for you.

Semper Fi!

I apologize for my English (yet), is not my native language.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Great Story, Well Told, Could Have Come From A Vet's Medical File! 5* 'Nam Vet

You have written a story that could have come from a Vet's medical file with only a little more on the side to fill the story. I know some of the vets coming back from the "Freedom War" that the people we're there to help could care less. Since our military and political leaders won't the soldiers fight to win, us vets will have to do the job here at home with all the ragheads that are here already.

While that's not OK, we'll fight to win, and those who don't stand behind our troops are more than welcome to stand in front of them. 'Nuff Said! To the Anon 'Nam Vet on 9/9/16, I join in your praise of this story. I too have lost friends and family to 'Nam!

flarebel2327flarebel2327over 6 years ago
Veit am vets

the military men didn't go because they wanted to but went in service to our country . I have the utmost respect for them. I didn't serve in the military because of losing the use of an arm. if I had I would have joined the Marines because of family history . when returning home they were spit upon and any other thing you could think of. these men & women were like the young men of 6/6/1944 saw things no young person should have to see. well written about about what they went through before the days of PSTD . given to help with the problems they came home with

WordcraftWordcraftabout 6 years ago
WOW . . . JUST, WOW!!

I was 13 when my older brother went to Vietnam. He was in Hue during the Tet Offensive on the Perfume river serving on a 40' PBR river patrol boat. He never talked about his year in Vietnam. The brother I knew never came back, he was never the same. Dave died from the effects of agent orange 5 August 2015. After years of research, I discovered he was the lone survivor of two boat crews. This story hit very close to home. Thank You Rwsteward for a great story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Damned Good

Your story rings several bells, apart from being well-written.

Thank You

HP

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Beautiful

Just beautiful

MushyguyMushyguyabout 5 years ago
Good bones

I like the story line. I would have rated it much higher but I felt the dialog had a robotic feel that made it less compelling. I think the writer was too afraid of making the story too long. The whole sequence of them meeting and their initial conversations lacked believability and felt empty of warmth or connection. Still worth reading.

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefabout 4 years ago
Tears

What a story that is so full of emotion, love and friendship. You had this old man grabbing for the Kleenex several times because this is one of the most moving love stories I've read. My gratitude goes out to all the young men and women, past and present, that did their duty and served in the military and to all those that gave the ultimate sacrifice.

flareb2343flareb2343almost 4 years ago
RAIN INSIDE

never served because of a wild horse ride on 12/22/1959 , have known many who have . nothing but RESPECT for those that did. had 2 cousins that were in NAM.

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 4 years ago
tears, so many soldiers gave so much

I served in the Army for three years in the 60s just missed going to Vietnam. Spent time in Germany and France. Ever since Nam I consider myself extremely fortunate the way my life has turned out.The disrespect shown our GI's after Nam was a crime.

Never faced battle but did have dreams after discharge for 6 months that I was back in the Army because of the war and the protests and all. That damn war affected us all with the loss of so many lives. Great writing, keep it up!

Ravey19Ravey19over 3 years ago
So Moving

Thought this was going to be another nice love story heading towards 5 but then you ramped it up a notch with the promise in the bar making it really sweet. But then came the ending and, boy, did that really ramp up the emotions, the whole story and the score to a 5 plus. Sorry I can only give you a 5 though. Excellent.

stewartbstewartbalmost 3 years ago

Read before ... not just 2 people "together - you and me" but all of us "together in this world - now and forever."

oldgraycatoldgraycatover 2 years ago

In my 22+ years in the Navy I was never in combat. On board the ship I was on at the time of our entry into Vietnam I saw Marines getting shot when we launched them to the beach and we were under orders not to provide cover for them because there might be women and kids ashore in the jungle. I still think of that and did not feel to good about those orders.

Rancher46Rancher46about 2 years ago

Beautifully written story with so much compassion. Well done 5 stars

6King6Kingabout 2 years ago

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

OpenToOpenMindedOpenToOpenMindedalmost 2 years ago

I am a Vietnam Era Vet and I have suffered with PTSD, I know what it is like to have the recurring nightmares and I know fellow vets who got them from service in Vietnam. Mine did not come from military service fighting the NVA but from the racial hell that can happen and still does here in the US. I thank this writer for finally putting my many nightmares under there real definition. It was hell being black back then, even being mentally gifted as the admin of the US services treated all blacks as lessers and assigned us the most dangerous/worst jobs that they could. More of us died in Vietnam than any other group, as a group.

My hell was the terror I faced in America just trying to grow through racism in my own home but that is another story. I am just happy to have finally pieced the causes of my hell together and this story did that for me,

To all the people who had the war PTSD, I salute you, regardless of race. PTSD is a horror and more than war can create it.

Thanks. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

The bra concept if removing it in front of everyone and being naked waist up for almost 10 minutes was so FUCKED UP!!

WHAT NEXT, WILL THE STUPID CUCK SHARE HER WITH OTHERS IN THE BAR AND CLAIM PTSD!!

MOLLY WAS ANOTHER STUPID OLD BITCH

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Why was the slut Amy dressed in a very short skirt at her Christmas party when Dean wasn't around!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

5* I guess beauty is in the eye of the reader. This romance has love at first sight, commitment, near trade gy and hope. Well done.

DP

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy6 months ago

Outstanding story!

5

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

We re soooo touched, soooo honored to absorb your beautiful story, and we are sooooo misty!!!!!

Thank you for sharing your heartfelt words with us.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

This is amazing story. I have been on thiss site along time and its o r of the top three best in my eyes

AnonymousAnonymous9 days ago

Great story needs a better or more sincere ending, where they marry and have a child or two with the help of Amy things will get better. War can be hell!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous