Touched by Moonlight Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Joshua."

"Zane." And with that terse greeting, Zane vanished as Katrina was swept away by her younger brother.

Joshua looked dashing in a suit and tie, his piercing gone, some of his wildness tamed for the night. His eyes were bright and eager, the proper facade he needed to portray, but Katrina knew the truth. Could feel it beneath her fingertips. They didn't have to speak, didn't have to say a word. No. Katrina understood everything in his heart. She always would. He was her baby brother and she'd love him for the rest of her life. Her eyes burned with unshed tears as she fought them back. Closing her eyes, she let her head fall onto his chest. She tapped her fingers over his chest, focused on sending her healing weave. She filled it full of love and light.

Joshua knew what she was doing, could feel her healing energy wash over him and wanted to beg her to stop. To stop making this alright when it was obviously so wrong, but he couldn't find the strength to deny her. He saw the way her whole body released some of its tension as if soothing him soothed her, and in some ways he knew it did. Joshua felt his whole body loosen, he let out a breath he didn't know he'd been holding and suddenly the room just seemed brighter. They danced another three sets before he spoke again.

"You're such a brat but I think you're spectacular." Katrina pouted and poked him in the chest. "Come. I require refreshments." Katrina smiled as her brother led her by the arm. She smiled up at him, quick to notice the evil glares of the females around them. Joshua Morvant was quite the bachelor, sought out by many elite ladies, none to which he paid any actual attention to. She rolled her eyes at their stares, she was his sister for gods sake! She snorted at her own thoughts.

"Are you having a good time?" Joshua's quiet whisper reached her ears, Katrina gave him an eager nod as she went hunting for the damn man servant with food.

"I certainly hope you are." Katrina stiffened, her movements coming to a halt at the familiar voice. Her body spun faster than it should have to be inconspicuous, her eyes landed on the warm gaze of Elder Raven Romanus. She gasped at his worn down expression, her chest filled with an ache she couldn't dissipate. "Elder." Katrina and Joshua both bowed their heads in respect, alarmed by his blatant address to her.

"Hello Katrina. You look breathtaking as usual... Joshua, may I steal your sister for a moment. I'd like a word." Joshua bowed respectfully to the Elder before slipping into the crowd, giving them privacy. Katrina looked up at Raven, who looked so much like his younger brother. He held out his hand to her, waiting only a moment as she slipped her hand onto his.

***

Luciano stood off to the side, hidden in the shadows, finally having escaped the throngs of females who'd accosted him for a dance. Zane leaned beside him in silence. Luciano bristled, when he'd seen the two of them dancing with a familiarity that was impossible to deny. Everyone knew Luella's desire to mate off her children, it was no secret when she tried lumping Katrina with her no good son, Zane. He let out a chuckle. Zane also happened to be one of his closest friends. "You infuriate me, my friend."

Zane gave him a bold look. "It seems to me, your frustration is of your own making. You cannot blame me for dancing with beautiful females all night. Especially the ones sent by mother, they are particularly delicious aren't they." He brushed his hair back, loosening and tossing off the obnoxious tie. Luciano seethed, his fist balled, he'd almost punched him in the face for that comment. Zane would live his entire existence testing Luciano's patience.

Luciano emptied the glass of blood at his disposal, needing the edge. He watched his brother take Katrina out onto the dance floor. The beautiful dark gown fit her like a glove. Every time he saw the curve of her ass he found himself gasping for breath, reaching for another glass of blood to simply quench his thirst. What the hell was happening to him? He brushed a hand over his face irritated.

"Isn't it time you started doing something other than watching from the shadows, Luciano?" Luciano flashed Zane his fangs. Zane chuckled at his erratic behavior. It was the first time he'd seen Luciano so clearly out of sorts, usually he hid it better. Zane's brown eyes moved back to the hall, his eyes roamed until he found the object of Luciano's affliction and my how she glowed.

***

Katrina held her tongue as the Elder brought her out to dance. He was usually very reserved and didn't often partake in this part of the traditions. 'Seems things are changing after all.' Her eyes moved over the other dancers on the floor. Their posture perfect as they danced around the room. Not one hair out of place. She puffed, as she once again placed her bangs behind her ears, clearly she'd always been the ugly duckling around here. She'd opted for this up do, liking the stray couple strands of hair that curled showing the bright red tips she so fiercely loved. She just didn't expect them to be so hard to control while she danced.

"How is he?"

Raven gave one long far off look as if recalling something important. They fell silent as he pondered how to answer, the violin in the background was haunting, beautiful. He broke the silence momentarily, his words cut short. "He's grieving. As is to be expected. He will live. Thankfully, they had not mated, no connection was made. Otherwise he'd be—"

Raven fell silent, pain filled her. Stefani was a stark reminder that no matter how powerful and brave you are, not everyone has a happy ending.

Katrina felt something shift in the air and she felt heavy. She gasped for breath, feeling the room dim around her. Her eyes reaching up to Raven's, which tinkled with mischief. The elder twirled her, causing her to momentarily lose focus. She saw herself moving but had to wonder what the others where seeing. She patted his shoulder as she caught her breath. She'd never seen him be this... lively before.

"Don't you think it's time you told him?"

"Pray tell, what should I tell and to whom?" Katrina's smile didn't falter. She kept her arms and chin high, her stomach tight. He slowed the paced down and the air got heavier. "You don't have much time, Katrina." Katrina bit her inner cheek, her body buzzing as she felt her healing energy jolt in fear. 'He knows...'

"How long have you known?" Katrina looked away, scanning the room to see if anyone was paying particular attention to them. She needed the reprieve from his eyes. Those familiar eyes unsettled her. He chuckled. "Katrina, how young you are. How beautiful, but naive if you think any Elder in this room can't see you for what you are." His whispered words shocked her, then momentarily stung her. She looked around wildly, to see if anyone had heard. "I don't mean any offense, Katrina. Do not concern yourself, no one can hear us." Katrina nodded but remained silent. He must be using his Elder power to damp the area around them, blocking the sounds from leaving.

Katrina stayed quiet. There wasn't anything to say.

"Won't you reconsider—"

"You know what I'm destined for! How many mated Maidens do you know are joined to wild and reckless males. Even while mated their energies are forever linked and dependent on their males for stability, they anchor the rampant energy at a great toll to their own spiritual energy. You know that better than I. Luciano— He needs recklessness and danger. Luciano is anything but stable, you know just as well as I do that his energy thrives on it. Even- even if he somehow could feel a smidgen of what I feel for him, I'd only be locking him into a life he has no desire to be a part of. I won't— I won't imprison him." Her trembling hands tightened on the Elder's frame at her accusatory tone. She'd never spoken to an elder in such a tone.

"You should have more faith in my brother... He might surprise you." Katrina stared ahead, biting her lip.

"I've waited.. Waited centuries to have him look at me with anything resembling love or desire and it only happened once, under duress.... So please allow me to hold some reservations on him just suddenly realizing I'm the love of his freaking life after centuries of waiting." Raven narrowed his eyes at the slight desperation of her words. "Katrina. You could wait till the next rotation... You are still young."

Katrina closed her eyes, felt the air tighten with suspense. "After what happened at the cave— Something has changed. It's as if, it suddenly woke up.

Elder.. Raven, I— I can feel it. I can feel it getting stronger, growing impatient. It is become harder to hide. Harder to keep it in check.. " Katrina voiced what she'd been too afraid to think, much less speak to anyone. She was too ashamed of her own weakness. "I have run out of time. I cannot wait any longer."

Raven stiffened. His mind raced ahead. He nodded in understanding and let out a sigh. Pacing backwards, he moved their bodies in unison around the room. "There's another reason why I'm here... I've come to warn you, about tomorrow." Katrina perked up. Raven looked past Katrina, his gaze planted some place else.

"During the claiming ceremony. You will have to show your submission to earn your mark. It will seem like a test of skill, of your vampiric skill. Be cautious. Although in part it is what our society will honor, it is more a test of your submission. The Maidens will gauge how much your skills relies on selflessness in order to witness your mark."

"What if I cannot pass this test? It is not as if they cannot take me."

"You should concern yourself more with what happens when they take you and do not want you." Katrina stiffened. It had been so black and white in her mind, Raven's tone was concerning. He made it seem as if something else was happening. In reality, even she, being what she was, did not know much about the Sacred Maidens. In fact, none of them did.

"So I must show strength to honor my family name but I must show submission and selflessness in order to not dishonor them?" Yea. No problem. Except she'd never just submit to anyone, especially not publicly. Vampires in general would never submit easily. "If this is your choice, you must tread carefully, Katrina. And above all, do not let them see the full scope of what you are truly capable of." He whispered by her ear. Katrina nodded, her eyes narrowing as she looked around suspiciously. If there was one advice she'd take to heart, it would be that.

Her eyes landed on Luciano standing by the bar as he leaned into a blushing blonde she recognized, Lady Siria Jameson. She couldn't even summon enough energy to feel jealous anymore. She was past that. Raven followed her gaze and narrowed his eyes at his brother's ridiculous behavior.

"Look after him...

When I'm gone, I hope you'll tell him that I was brave to the end. And, that I'm sorry. I was afraid of how he'd look at me if he found out what I was. Tell him, I want him to live free and wildly, for me. And when he's found someone who can be the same for him, someone who will love him and adore him, you tell her to have patience with him, to protect him." Katrina's voice trembled.

"When the time is right and he's ready to hear it, tell him to let me go.. I want him to only remember me as a happy memory." A tear slipped past her eyes and fell down her cheeks as she forced her gaze away from the object of her affection and greatest pain.

"I will. You bring pride to your family. Our race is forever in your debt. Stay safe and be strong." Raven stepped back and the world came rushing back in, the noises, the scents, the light. He offered her a small bow and kissed her hand. Katrina fought against the tears, giving him a dazzling smile. His eyes lifted, moving to the presence behind her. "It seems I might have taken up too much of your time tonight."

Katrina looked over her shoulder to find... Thayne. His beautiful blue eyes sparkled as they gazed at her. Katrina forced a smile. Not really feeling in the mood to dance anymore. She watched as they exchanged a curt nod and Raven disappeared. "I was wondering if you'd allow me this dance. It seems their playing a Celine Dion song, how wild is that?" Thayne stood tall at 6'3, he was muscular and towered over her 5'8. She gave him a small nod, hating to turn down a friend.

Thayne's black hair was slicked back, his fangs were wide and pearly white. He was quiet a specimen. He took her hand, lifting her shoulders to stand in position. His other hand moved to the small of her back bringing her closer than she was accustomed to, and they began to dance. To Katrina, it felt like they were floating, he was such a smooth dancer. Then again, there were very few things Thayne couldn't handle. The tail of her skirt pooled around her as she moved. He seemed to enjoy watching it twirl.

Thayne was one of Luciano's closest friends, the oldest in fact. Understandably so, he was tall dark and handsome but most of all he had a core of loyalty and honor that rivaled even Luciano's. He was fierce and respectable, as the eldest of his household and the owner of several large businesses, Thayne was used to making his own rules. He was a wonderful, sweet man. Katrina smiled as she looked up into his eyes, blushing at his intense gaze and forced herself to look away, feeling slightly uncomfortable.

" You look exquisite, Katrina." His thumbs brushed against her skin as his deep voice spoke into her ear, intimately. She looked around, trying to put some distance between them, clearing her throat as she spoke. "It has been a long time since we've seen each other, hasn't it? How is your sister? And the business?" Thayne twirled Katrina, watching her body move in his arms. He brought her back, making sure her body was pressed slightly against his, he loved watching the blood pool onto her face. That reaction was uncommon amongst their kind. He was smitten.

"She is fine, probably chattering away with the ladies. Business has been very busy lately, I regret not having called sooner. But I insist you have dinner with me." Katrina choked, unsure of what she was hearing. He'd always been a gentleman, but the way he held her, and what he said..... 'Is he attempting to court me?' Katrina stuttered, feeling her hands sweat from nerves.

"Uh... Well, you see I might be busy for some time... I- Uh Thayne. Do you mind?" Katrina's voice came out in a squeak as he insisted on leaning forward, as he dipped her, their noses almost touching. She swallowed, wanting to put some distance between them.

"Yes, Thayne. Do you mind?" Katrina's body tensed. Luciano's voice dripped with hostility. For a moment the air was charged with electric heat, while Katrina looked between them both from an awkward angle confused.

Thayne had his arms wrapped around Katrina, her upper body plastered against his, her face turning beat red. His body tingled where they touched. Thayne's eyes narrowed in Luciano's direction. He brushed his lips over Katrina's cheek, he straightened them both. He bowed and kissed the inside of her hand as he whispered. "It seems big brother has arrived, I will see you for dinner sometime soon, Katrina." With that he gave Luciano a nod before walking off.

Luciano's body trembled as he fought for what little control he had left. He'd watched Thayne claw his hands all over her body like she belonged to him, staking a claim for all to see. And that 'big brother' jibe made his fangs throb in anger, as he saw red. His gaze fell down on Katrina as she pressed a hand to her chest. 'Is she flustered by that imbecile?' He thought, outraged.

Katrina felt her heart fluttering, pounding in her chest. 'Don't let him hear.' They stood still amongst the dancing couples. Luciano's' eyes were shrouded, but they held this intensity she'd never seen. Luciano stepped forward, taking her by the hand and pulling her into the sea of dancers without pause. His one hand placed on the small of her back, the other held her hand firmly.

"You should be more careful who you dance with like that. Others might misunderstand the situation and question your virtue."

Katrina's mouth fell open, stark outrage filling her. 'How dare he!'

"You never struck me as the sort who cared about what people thought. So why should I." She lifted her chin, gazing out and away from his heated gaze. Luciano pressed her body tighter to his and her breath left her in a daze. She glared at him, understanding the point he was trying to make. " But you and I are very different, Cookie. Any who, I'm glad you're done avoiding me. Childish much."

Katrina smiled to the few who watched, purely for appearances. "You know how I feel about Natasha." She said thorough her teeth, unwilling to let anyone else know how he unnerved her. She felt the bold glares of the females around and let out a sigh.

"That was a long time ago, Katrina. Don't be a child. She's changed." Luciano's breath touched the side of her neck. His hand moving lower to the edge of the dress, one of his fingers slipped dangerously into the seam right above her ass. The vampire inside her bristled at his tone.

Katrina smiled fiercely. She knew what game he was playing by using his charm on her so obviously but she wasn't like the other women he played with. 'Oh no. It's going to take a bit more than that Luciano.' "You're right. It's not any of my business what kind of trash you associate with. If you're not careful you'll end up mated to a witch." Katrina's cold uncaring voice took great effort, she was glad she sounded so convincing. She noted the way he stiffened and was pleased with the result of her comment. Luciano grimaced at her heated tone. He used their steps to bring them closer together, glued on every turn and every spin. He hated her words but loved her jealousy. Oh yes. Luciano had seen the rage in her eyes for a moment, it faded as soon as he caught it, but he knew.

"I do believe you're glowing green."

Katrina's head snapped up, she did a mental check, made sure her power was in place and immediately let out a sigh of relief. The energy of her mark was quiet, muted. The music had died down as the song ended. It took her a second to understand his pun and immediately she was filled with rage. 'How dare he tease me.'

Katrina shut off, brought forth the vampire and without an ounce of emotion in her words whispered, "If I were to be jealous, I would find a worthier opponent... Goodbye Mr. Romanus. It's been a pleasure." Katrina slipped her hand out of his, and without a thought or a glance back, made her way out of the throng of dancing bodies leaving him alone on the dance floor.

****

© [A. S. Jaimes] [2015] [Touched by Moonlight] All rights reserved.

12