Trail of Promise

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The two looked embarrassed but did as he asked. Gloria beamed a wide smile at him and he nodded to her. Gods work, indeed!

"Our own Mr. Gunnarsson has family in New York City. His cousin Lucas and his family reside there." Eugene stated for the congregation but he watched the intense but cautiously curious stare of the big man. "Mr. and Mrs. Buchholz learned of Mr. Gunnarsson's desire for a wife from his cousin and traveled across the country to bring him their daughter. To create a new family! To be his bride!"

He looked to Marlena's face and saw shock and embarrassment heating her cheeks. Her mouth opened and closed then she was looking into Mr. Gunnarsson's excited eyes as he took her shoulder and turned her to look into hers.

"NO! NO! IT'S NOT FAIR!"

Everyone, including Mr. Gunnarsson and Miss Buchholz, turned to see Lisanne Dulane standing in the aisle near the back of the church. Her sister was frantically trying to get her to sit down but she slapped her hands away.

"She- she's lying! She's not his bride! She's trying to steal him from us! She only knows about Wulf's cousin because she overheard my sister and me reading his letter! His cousin couldn't have sent her here as he never got any of the letters!" she finished with a snide tone as she glared at her competition. Her sister was trying to shrink under the bench she sat on.

"WHAT?!?" Wulf bellowed, releasing Marlena's shoulder to face Lisanne who shrank from his enraged glare.

"I never claimed to be his bride," Miss Buchholz said, finding her voice.

Gloria leapt to her feet. "You most certainly did!"

The young woman looked at her. "When?"

Gloria looked at Eugene then back to Marlena. "The night your parents were killed! You talked about the letter to Lucas, the plan to marry him and the baby!"

Eugene saw the young woman look back at her in confusion.

"I was overcome with grief over losing my parents. I have no memory of saying anything that night!" she admitted.

"You had the brandy! You spoke with me!" Gloria insisted.

Miss Buchholz shook her head slowly. "Maybe I was telling you about overhearing them read the letter."

"SEE! Finally the truth," Lisanne squeaked and her sister swatted her.

After glancing back towards the two women, Miss Buchholz gently touched Mr. Gunnarsson's arm. "I did overhear them reading your letter that morning. From what they said, I believe they may have stopped the delivery of all of your letters. I hoped to speak to you about it today at tea. The one in the aisle wanted to marry you and her sister just wanted to use you to have a baby."

Eugene saw murder in the big man's eyes before he turned to face the back of the church. When he tried to move around the young woman she placed her hands gently on his chest and he stopped.

"You two need to come with me," the sheriff said taking Lisanne's arm and pulling her sister up to stand in the aisle. With a look at the preacher and the blacksmith he turned and pulled the two women from the church.

Eugene looked at his wife in disappointment. His sermon was in ruins. His spirit in tatters.

How was he going to fix this?

-=-

Wulf watched the sheriff take the two women from the church and his rage at them drained away to be replaced by a terrible sense of loss. His family back east hadn't received his letters. They likely thought he was dead. He truly was alone.

Then he became aware of hands on his chest, touching him gently and he looked down into soft, brown eyes filled with compassion. His heart lurched in his chest as he recalled the preacher's words. He recalled the surge of joy when he thought she'd spoken with Lucas. How important that link had felt and how crushing it was when she denied it.

"You never told them you spoke with my cousin?"

"No, I never told them that," she said, shaking her head.

He took a deep breath to loosen the tightness in his chest. "Your family didn't cross the country to find me?"

"No, we didn't" she said gently.

He nodded, suddenly feeling stupid for his hope. Up until moments before when the preacher mentioned it he wasn't aware of how much he wanted a bride. No, for her to be his bride. Now, be felt stupid for thinking she might even consider him for a husband. To end his loneliness.

"You don't want to be my bride."

She smiled timidly. "I never said that."

He blinked as joy flooded back into his heart.

"You... you'd marry me?" he asked.

She was nodding with a broad smile. "Yes!"

His smile returned and hers grew wide until they were both grinning like fools at each other.

He turned to face the smiling man at the pulpit. "Preacher, would you do us the honor of making us husband and wife?"

"I'd be happy to make you a family!"

The congregation exploded into cheers and only then did Wulf recall he had an audience. The people had been so quiet, mesmerized as they watched the drama unfold. He looked out over the gathering and saw so many happy faces.

None looked happier than the beauty standing at his side.

Chapter 7

Gloria's cooler head prevailed and the wedding was scheduled for the following Saturday. This gave the woman time to arrange for a wedding dress for Marlena and make preparations.

For the bride-to-be, the week felt like it both crawled and flew by in the flash. She couldn't wait to begin her new life with the gorgeous man. At the same time she was worried about their first night together. She'd never been with a man though he'd been married before. She fretted that she wouldn't do something right or wouldn't be able to make him happy. She was both excited and terrified at the prospect of having intimate relations with him.

She also had moments of deep sorrow at knowing her parents were missing this important event in her life and would never know their children if they were lucky enough to have any.

When she would feel this way she took solace in knowing her parent's would have approved of her choice of a husband. She'd grin to herself as she imagined their explosive excitement at their daughter finally choosing at all!

What also greatly eased the pain in her heart was recalling how much respect her fiancé had shown her parents when he handled their final arrangements.

Then the day was suddenly upon her and she was being walked down the aisle on the arm of the sheriff. She was too nervous to look ahead. She wasn't afraid to see him looking back at her. She was afraid he wouldn't be there at all. That it had all been a silly fantasy.

Instead, from the corner of her eye, she watched the gentleman walking with her. He was an older man but still vital. Better still, he was a man of justice and compassion. Having lost his own family, a wife, son and daughter, years earlier, the man's bushy white mustache was trembling with his joy at having been given this honor. She recalled his surprise when she asked him to do it and the tears he'd shed as he accepted. He'd told her his tragic story and they'd shared their tears. It was a special moment for them both.

When they arrived, he lifted her veil and gave her a kiss on the cheek. She could see tears in his eyes. She smiled gratefully to him as he stepped back. She then turned to face her husband-to-be.

He was there. Tall and strong, his blonde hair tied back with a black ribbon, with his beautiful blue eyes looking at her like she was the most beautiful woman in the world. For that moment, she felt she was.

The preacher said his words and had to repeat a few things to her as her mind wandered, causing the gathered people to laugh. Wulf held her trembling hand and slid the loveliest ring she'd ever seen upon her finger as he said his vows. She blinked at her hand as she was a little dazzled.

Then it was her turn and she accepted the ring from Gloria to place upon his finger. She managed to repeat the words with a wobbling voice, hearing more chuckles, and slid the ring on his larger finger.

When the preacher announced them husband and wife she heard a roaring in her ears and might have fainted if he hadn't pulled her into his arms and hugged her gently. Feeling the strength in his body and how gentle he was being with her eased her worries and she gave him a smile. When his lips chastely pressed against hers sparks shot through her body and she blushed deeply as the crowd cheered.

Afterwards, a select group went back to the preacher's house for dinner. Conversation was boisterous as if everyone was feeling an enormous amount of relief and joy. They released their tensions with much laughter and smiles.

Soon enough, the party was over and they accepted the congratulations of the departing guests. They loaded her luggage into the wagon she'd inherited from her parents. Her husband brought her home. The word sent tingles through her soul.

As they entered the building he apologized for the humble conditions but she only had eyes for him.

"I suppose I should think of building us a real home. This shack is fine for a bachelor... or widow, but it's not suitable for more. For a family," he said quietly.

Her breath caught in her throat. Family. They were going to build their own family! That meant intimate relations which required undressing. Her hands automatically reached up to get at the buttons on her dress.

"May I assist you?" he asked quietly.

She looked into his eyes and smiled as she nodded.

He moved behind her and he undid the buttons down the back of her lovely lace gown. She trembled at the feel of his fingers on her back.

He eased the dress forward off her shoulders and she sighed at the feel of his hands. She gasped when she felt his lips on her neck and swooned. Then she realized he'd undone the laces on her corset. Clever man! He helped her remove it. She was grateful she was already slim so the corset wasn't worn as tight as her mothers had been.

That thought sent a wave of sadness through her and she pushed it back. She would mourn her parents another night. Not now. Not this night.

He stepped back and she turned to face him wearing only her chemise. He removed his jacket and placed it over the back of a chair. She watched as he unbuttoned his shirt and slipped that off too. Her eyes went to the hard muscles of his chest and his strong arms.

Then he was undoing his pants and her eyes widened. This was foreign territory! Strange new worlds! Terribly exciting and frightening at the same time!

They dropped and he stood before her in his underwear. He kicked his pants and socks off and paused to take a deep breath.

"I haven't been naked before a woman other than... my departed wife," he said softly with a nervous expression on his face.

She smiled in relief at him as he was nervous of her impression of him!

"I've never been naked in front of any man and I've never seen one naked!" she said breathlessly.

"Should- should I turn off the lamp-"

"NO!" she gasped then started giggling at her outburst.

He chuckled and pushed his underwear down.

"OH!" she started as her eyes locked onto what's he'd been hiding. "Oh? OH!" she blurted as she suddenly found herself working out the logistics of how his parts would work with hers. "It won't fit!"

He gave one bark of laughter as he recalled exactly the same words spoken from the lips of a woman he thought he'd grow old with. For a moment it was like she was there with him and he felt her happiness. It eased his heart.

"It will. It does. I'll be gentle," he said to calm her. He stepped closer and her eyes grew wider. He touched her face with his fingertips and kissed her lips.

She sighed and tried to follow his lead. When he pulled back she struggled to catch her breath as her heart was beating so fast.

"I'm a little rusty. It's been a long time," he said apologetically.

She looked up into his eyes in surprise. "No, it's good!" She blushed furiously. "I've never done anything like this before!" She felt something bump into her down below and stepped back a little to look down. "OH MY! It's bigger! It won't fit!"

He grinned and reached down to her waist to begin gathering up the fabric of her chemise. She sucked in a breath as she looked into his eyes.

"Fair is fair. I'm naked... wife."

She struggled to hide the smile that popped onto her lips. She nodded and he continued to gather and lift the fabric. She hesitantly lifted her arms and he pulled it up and over her head. He gently set it down on the chair and looked back at her. She was self-consciously crossing her arms before her body and blushing cutely.

He smiled at her and raised an eyebrow as he stood facing her with his arms at this sides. She smiled timidly back at him and slowly dropped her arms.

"You are beautiful," he sighed and she began to protest but he gave her a look and the words failed to leave her lips. "You are beautiful."

"Thank you," she said quietly and smiled less timidly.

He stepped forward and scooped her up in his arms, making her squeak in surprise. He carried her over to his bed and she trembled in his arms as he held her against his chest. He gently placed her on the bed. When he knelt on the bed and moved his body over hers she gasped and her eyes flew wide. Her hands came to rest, her fingertips touching his chest ever so lightly in her surprise and worry.

He smiled and he reclined next to her on the mattress and she snorted in embarrassment.

"Perhaps we could talk a little. Get to know one another?" he asked.

"Kiss me first?" she blurted then went red with embarrassment.

He leaned in and tasted her mouth and she moaned softly.

When he pulled back she bit her lip and smiled up at him. "We get to do that as often as we want?"

"We're husband and wife so, yes," he said with a gentle smile.

"We're going to do that a lot," she said and he chuckled.

She reached up and pulled his face down to hers again and this time the kiss was deeper and she trembled against him. He cupped her modest breast in his big hand and she sucked in a breath as he squeezed it. "Too small?" she asked.

"Perfect." He kissed her again, with more passion and moved his body over hers. She widened her legs as he moved between them.

Before she had time to prepare he was pressing into her body and she gasped, clinging to his strong back. A brief sharp pain and he was deep inside her but he held still. The intimacy was overwhelming!

"Are you ok?" he whispered into her ear.

"Yes," she whispered back. "It fits," she squeaked as he moved a little.

He pulled back to glance at her red face. She smiled tremulously at him. "If it's too much we can stop-"

"Don't you dare!" she gasped then her eyes flashed to his as she surprised herself.

He smiled and began to move. She jolted and clung to him tighter. "Oh! Oh! Oh!"

For Marlena she'd never felt anything more profoundly intimate and the ache was diminishing as the pleasure increased. This was something else she wanted to do often.

His powerful body moved above hers and the pleasure just seemed to slowly climb higher and higher until she thought she might leave her body behind.

The explosion of bliss caught her completely by surprise and she might have screamed a little. She felt his heat filling her and she was lost to the waves of her pleasure.

He moved to her side once more, pulling free from her body and she gasped as her head spun.

They rested for a while, catching their breath. Finally she looked over at the expression of happiness on his face and smiled.

"That is something else we will do often," she said and he chuckled as he nodded.

"Yes, wife."

A wave of happiness washed over her and she turned to snuggle against his side. There were so many benefits to being married!

Still, she was glad she'd waited to find the right man.

Chapter 8

The sound of hammers on iron filled the air in the big shop. Wulf had expanded his operation as business boomed in the growing community. He now had a staff of six and their products were sought after in the surrounding counties. Their unique blending of mechanical excellent and artistic style had built up their reputation. They still handled the basics like horseshoes and nails but their household fixtures like hinges, drawer handles, door knobs, locks, corner guards, and such were in high demand.

He'd torn down the house behind the shop to extend the shop back to increase the workable space by three times. He and Marlena now lived in a beautiful new home a few streets away which he had built for them and their family.

In the ten years since they married, their family had grown with two boys, ages 9 and 8, two girls, ages 7 and 6, and they were expecting another child any day now. Marlena absolutely glowed with motherhood.

He received regular letters from his cousin now. They'd reconnected when his mail was finally able to get past the thief in the post office. That woman hadn't fared well in prison but he put her from his mind. He wouldn't think of unpleasant things when he was going home to see his wife at lunch.

He walked in the front door and smelled the delicious meal Marlena had prepared. No sounds of children laughing so they must be in school.

He was going to hire one of his neighbor's daughters to assist Marlena around the house beginning tomorrow. His wife had protested but she was tired from carrying the extra weight and he wanted her to rest.

He washed his hands and face and made his way into the dining room.

"Ah! You're right on time!" Marlena said as she set the large bowl of stew on the table. She'd turned the remains of their dinner the night before into a hearty stew. The moment her hands were free he gathered her in his arms and kissed her deeply.

"Mmmm! It was kisses like that which brought on this little one!" she grinned up at him as she stroked her tummy.

He placed his hand on hers and smiled. "We'll just have to be more careful."

Wulf sat himself down at the table. "Besides, I seem to recall you were the one who insisted we could do that as often as we wanted," he said with a grin.

Smiling happily, she served them then took her own seat next to him. They said grace then dug in.

Wulf noticed her smiling at him oddly. "What? Have you grown tired of my unshaven face and wish for me to grow my beard once more?"

"NO!" she laughed and swatted his arm. "Don't you dare!"

She shook her head with a smile. "I was just thinking how fortunate I am to have such a wonderful husband and beautiful children. The family I never thought I'd have."

He smiled at her. "You know how happy I am!"

"Would it make you happier to have more family?" she asked with an odd tone in her voice.

His spoon stopped halfway to his mouth. "I- I thought we agreed five children was enough?" he asked with concern.

She blushed. "Yes! I didn't mean more children! I meant more family. Your family." She pulled a letter from her apron. "Your cousin wrote again. Your family is emigrating from Sweden. All or most of them. Life has become quite hard there. I thought- I thought we could invite them to come here. To live in Jennerville... or close by at least. I know you miss them so much!"

Wulf was stunned. His family was coming to the States? He looked to the warmth and compassion in the beautiful eyes of his wife as his heart swelled with love. He brought her hand to his lips and she smiled at him.

"It would be nice for our children to know their relations. I know my family would love you!" he said.

"What's it like to be part of such a large family?" she asked.

He smiled fondly. "There is good and there is not so good, but even the not so good are family so you accept them... but you always keep your eye on them."

She grinned at him and rubbed her hands together happily. "Will you send a letter to your cousin?"