Triple-Edged Sword

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Nodding, the lawyer added, "I'm already representing her in the sexual harassment suit. Don't worry. We've got some nice CCTV footage on our side." Gesturing at her with a nod, he added, "You can take her up on her offer. She's going to have more cash than you in a while."

"No," Dave said, shaking his head. "I can't, and I won't. I don't need any more time. Tell the Judge that I'll accept his offer, but only on the condition of one face-to-face meeting with Hailey first. He does that, then he pays my bills, gives me five thousand, and this ends right away."

Judy rested her hand on his shoulder, and said, "You don't have to do that, Dave."

"Yes, I do," he replied. "Maybe I'm beginning to see things more clearly than I have in years. I've slaved my guts out for a group of worthless hacks, and only two people come and visit me in the hospital."

"

And technically," the lawyer said, "I'm your employee, and if you die, I don't get paid. Not to make you feel worse or anything." He looked at the two of them, shrugged, and said, "I just don't want anyone here to get the idea that I'm a nice guy. Bad for my reputation. Are you sure about this, Dave?"

"Damned sure."

* * * *

"He caved!" the Judge said, waving a fist into the air. "I told you he would."

Hailey frowned, and replied, "He admitted it?"

"I thought you were sure."

"I was, I just...," she sighed, then said. "I guess you were right, Daddy."

"I told you," he said. "I told you I was. There's just one thing."

"What?"

"He wants to meet you, before we sign the agreement. Probably to plead his case and try and get you back." Raising an eyebrow, he asked, "Does he have a chance?"

She looked down at the floor, and said, "I thought I loved him."

Reaching a hand under her chin, he replied, "It's your decision, kitten. It always has been. Right from the start."

* * * *

The shyster's office had gained nothing in charm since Dave's last visit, though the odor of fresh paint filled the air, a brief burst of decorating designed to promote at least a vague hint of respectability. That hadn't prevented the Judge from looking down his nose at the lawyer when he walked into the room, wiping his seat with a handkerchief before deigning to take it. Dave sat on the far side of the room, next to Judy, the two of them holding hands, with a battered package by his feet. Hailey walked in, Kim behind her, and sat down opposite her soon-to-be-ex-husband, looking with anger at Judy, at the two of them holding hands.

"I guess I was right," she said. "Can we get this over with?"

"In just a minute," the shyster replied. "Mr. McBride has something he wants to ask, first."

"If you want me back..."

"Not in a million years," Dave said, shaking his head, to the triumphant gaze of the Judge. "I just want to ask you one question. Why did you think I had cheated on you?"

"Still denying it?" the Judge asked.

"Just tell me your evidence. That's all I ask. A month ago I had a career, a home, and a wife. I'd like to know why they all got flushed down the toilet."

"The condoms in your backpack," she said. "We've never used them, and..."

Pulling out a piece of paper, Judy placed it carefully on the table, and said, "You think I was the one sleeping with Dave?"

"I know it."

"And that I made him use condoms?"

"Yes."

"I'm allergic to latex."

"What?"

"It's true," the lawyer said. "That's from her doctor. All verifiable."

"Fine," Hailey said. "Fine. Then he has two whores on the side, not one."

"When would I find the time?" Dave asked.

"That trip to Chicago that you took with Judy, then. Maybe you had..."

"I didn't go to Chicago," Judy said.

"I heard the two of you talking about a party."

"Brandon's party. His fifth birthday party."

Hailey's eyes widened as Judy passed across her phone, pictures of a child sitting in front of a cake with his friends around him, the time and date matching that fated Friday night.

"Then what about the present you brought her?"

"This?" Dave asked, reaching for the box. "This romantic gift?" He tore open the brown paper, revealing a battered action figure.

"I don't understand," said the Judge.

"Brandon's father ran off before he was born," Judy said. "I don't have much money. Never enough. Dave found out that Brandon wanted a G. I. Joe for his birthday, but I couldn't afford one." Turning to him, her eyes bright, she said, "He queued up for two hours after work to get that for him. And yes, I kissed him. And I'll admit right now that I'm in love with him. I have been for years. But he's never given it back, and he's never done anything inappropriate with me. And frankly, if he was the sort of man who would, I'd never have fallen for him in the first place."

"I tried to call you..."

"I broke my phone," Dave said. "Dropped out of my pocket while I was in that damned queue. I had to use a new SIM. Didn't you find my note?"

"Note?" she replied.

"With my new mobile number."

"No," she said, sitting back, her face blank. "I didn't."

Turning to the Judge, Dave said, "I think we're done here."

"But I..." Hailey began.

"You lost any claim on me when you sent in those papers and got me fired. And tried to get Judy fired as well. Damn it, you were going to hurt a five-year-old because you were pissed. Well, mission accomplished, Hailey. You got your divorce. Now you can marry someone of your social standing. I'm sure the Judge will have them lining up." Turning to the old man, he said, "Though pass on to her next unlucky husband a warning from me. She's not worth the trouble."

"Young man," the Judge said.

"Save it," he replied, reaching over the desk in obvious pain, scrawling his signature on the form. "We're done." Rising with difficulty to his feet, he walked out of the office, Judy following, snatching the parcel from the floor as they left.

"Daddy," Hailey said, tears streaming again. "What have I done?"

"You got what you wanted, kid," the shyster said. "Now, where do I send my bill?"

* * * *

"That worked better than I could have hoped," the Judge said, passing a drink over to Judy. "My complements, by the way."

"I got the best end of this deal." She looked up at him, and said, "I love him, sir. I have for years. He's the only man who ever gave a damn about me. Present company included."

"Granted," the Judge replied. He pulled an envelope from his pocket, and said, "As promised. Ten thousand dollars. The balance of those lottery winnings of yours. You still moving out of state?"

"An old college friend of Dave's is setting up shop in Sacramento. He's offered him a partnership. Dave's contacts, his money. A new start for us all." She paused, then asked, "What about Hailey?"

"She got exactly what she wanted. Out. And I get to..."

"You get to ruin her life," Judy said. "And I get to save mine." Standing, she tucked the envelope in her pocket, and said, "I'll be the best damned wife he'd ever want, and he'll be the best husband I could ever ask for. In a couple of years, Hailey will be just a memory to him. A bad one. A distant one."

"I hope so," the Judge replied. "One for the road?"

"No. My fiancé is waiting for me." She waved her hand in the air, a plain silver ring on her finger. "His grandmother's."

Nodding, the Judge said, "Have a good life, Judy. And if Brandon needs anything, anything at all..."

"You already gave our son the thing he needed the most. A real father." She paused, and said, "What if Hailey had changed her mind?"

"Then I'd have had to find you someone else," he replied. "I gave her enough chances to hang onto Dave. She just let him slip away. Good luck in Sacramento."

"I don't need it," Judy said, looking at her finger again with a smile. "Not now. I've got all the luck I'll ever need right here." Twisting the knife, she added, "And with a little luck, he'll have a brother or sister within the year."

"Yeah," the Judge said, looking at his half-empty tumbler, regrets flooding his mind. "Yeah." As he watched the mother of his only child walk out of the room, he fumbled in his pocket for a warn piece of paper. DNA test results. Six years ago, they'd confirmed his suspicions about Hailey's parentage. He sighed. Six years since a drunken binge had resulted in a tryst with Judy, then one of the interns working for a friend of his. Four years since he'd discovered that he had a son, but had known instantly that he couldn't abandon everything for him, much as he'd wanted to. Too many people depended on him.

At least he could give his son a real family at last. And Dave deserved better than Hailey. Judy would be a much better match for him. Better than he could be. Looking up in the mirror behind the bar, he saw a grey-haired, long-faced old man staring back at him. It had crept up on him, old age. Overtaken him faster than he could have ever feared, or dreamed. With a sigh, he pulled out his phone, and tapped a little-used contact.

"Sam?" he said.

"What's up?" the shyster replied.

"Sam, would you be willing to come down to Barney's and have a drink with a lonely old friend?"

"Set 'em up," he said. "I'll be there in fifteen minutes." He paused, and said, "You did the right thing, buddy."

"Yeah," he said with a sigh. "I know." Quietly, to himself, he whispered, "That's why it hurts so damned much."

12