Trivial Pursuits Ch. 17

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
titania123
titania123
1,513 Followers

"See. She hates them," Cadence surmised simply.

Alessa just sighed and looked ahead, watching the suspension wires of the deep rust colored bridge flicker past as Denny sped out of the city.

The parking lot at the entrance to the heavily wooded park was already filling up when they arrived. Denny was able to find a spot, and without much ado, the trio was walking leisurely through the great forest, stopping frequently to take in the breathtaking beauty and wonder of the giant trees around them.

After rounding a sharp bend, a small sitting area appeared off to the left, nestled in the smallest, most charming cluster of trees. It was picturesque.

Cadence fawned over the enchantment and begged to stop for a quick break. Without waiting for an answer, she went over to one of the trees on the perimeter and plopped down against a soft groove in the trunk that was perfect to nestle her body. She opened her small black pack and pulled out a sketch pad and pencil. With intent eyes, she started studying the bench and the surrounding trees before an analytical expression twisted her mouth.

Then she snapped her head to her sister and boyfriend. "Would you guys mind sitting on that bench for me?"

At first Alessa was uncertain to what she was asking, or why, but Denny reacted immediately, taking her hand and leading her over. "A quick portrait, right?" he asked as he guided Alessa to sit on the side nearest Cadence.

"Right. Ten minutes tops."

Denny walked to the opposite side of the bench so his back was to Alessa's. He turned around so he could see her, and Alessa turned around to face him as well before looking back at her sister who was already busy sketching the scene.

When she turned back to Denny, she gave him a speculative look. "I'm not so certain about this."

He smiled. "Why not?"

But she had no specific reply. They were silent a moment, her eyes drifting away from the intimacy in his gaze. "I suppose I shouldn't be surprised," he said softly some minutes late.

She turned to look at him. "Surprised about what?"

"That you would defend ambitious women."

She seemed to blush, something she hadn't done much lately. He missed it. "Oh, well, it just always infuriated me whenever a woman would screw up. She always needed more but there wasn't anything in society she could safely take. It was either love or advancement."

They were silent again as her words wove between them. "But now a woman can have both," he stated, again in the soft, almost pleading voice.

Her eyes fluttered up to his. There was a pause before she spoke. "Can she?"

"Absolutely." And he leaned in a whispered a kiss on her lips.

"Hey! No moving!" Cadence chirped, though her lips wrestled down the smile that was trying to force its way onto her face.

Alessa giggled and he smiled, and together, in a peaceful moment tinged with a mirroring desire, they stared each other contentedly.

When Cadence was at last finished, she popped off the ground and stuffed the book back in her bag.

"Hey, don't we get to see?" Alessa asked standing up and following the retreating artist.

"No! Definitely not. My drawings are for me and me alone," she stated, not slowing.

As Denny and Alessa followed, he took her hand, and after three steps smiled smugly that she didn't pull away. After their enjoyable amble through the woods, they headed for the beach not far away. Cadence was all excitement, but had the wherewithal to help Denny and Alessa carry the supplies from the car to the beach where they set up for the afternoon, Cadence chattering away the entire time. When everything was at last in place, they had quick sandwiches before spending their time with several games of bocce ball, Denny winning most, but not all. They took strolls along the small beach nestled in the rolling hills, playing tic-tac-toe in the sand. Denny and Cadence found a mutual love of art and architecture and were able to carry on conversations sans the third party.

At some point they began a fire and cooked their evening meal, the lazy sounds of the waves cresting against the soft sand, cool and warm breezes mingling, but not enough to disrupt their laid out blanket. There was laughter and camaraderie, and Alessa had a flittering thought that she hadn't been that happy in a long time.

Cadence fell asleep on the drive back, and as promised Alessa delivered her safely home before ten. As she walked her sister up to the front door, she made her promise to exclude mention of Denny, to which she agreed. She kissed her good bye, and when she climbed back into Denny's car, she sighed in relief the day had been a happy success.

"Sure you don't want to come home with me?" Denny asked as he started the car.

Her answer took a second, first disappointing, then delighting him. "I'm sure. Wanna come home with me?" she invited.

He only looked at her a moment, before he broke out in a giant smile. "Absolutely."

The drive to her small apartment wasn't long, and as they walked to the garage she lived above, Mr. Cho stepped out his back door.

"Alessa, that you?"

"Oh, Mr. Cho," she said in surprise, looking between him and Denny, feeling as if she'd been caught by her father trying to sneak her boyfriend in her room. "Um, Mr. Cho, this is Denton Ashbury my..."

"Boyfriend. Very nice to meet you," Denny supplied, walking over to shake the short gentleman's hand.

"You have boyfriend?" he asked with gaiety twinkling in his eyes.

"Apparently so," she sighed and took the few steps to stand next to the men.

"Oh, I so happy for you. I knew you beautiful for reason," he gushed, smiling so wide his cheeks were nearly perfect mounds.

As Denny laughed, she thanked Mr. Cho for his compliment and then dragged Denny away to her apartment, silently praying he liked her for more than just her pretty face.

titania123
titania123
1,513 Followers