All Comments on 'Trivial Pursuits Ch. 19'

by titania123

Sort by:
  • 20 Comments
Ellienora35Ellienora35over 8 years ago
Bugged

They don't have a safe word. He is doing BDSM things and asking for her consent, but when she truly wanted out, he didn't give her any options. She knew from experience tha her family was awful, and sometimes running away is safe. It seems like Denny doesn't love her for who she is but for who he wants her to be. He is always trying to change her. Sooner or later, she needs to stop being his and everyone else's doirmat. I love this story as a whole, but this chapter really rubbed me wrong. So he can do whatever he wants to her no matter how uncomfortable she is just as long as he makes her come at the end. Why does she trust him? I mean Geez, he's already raped her. You haven't shown his growth. This is getting hard to believe after this chapter.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
I really didn't like this chapter.

Her family is awful and Denny--despite his expressed warm feelings--treats her like a child who has to be forced to do things he thinks are good for her. He's supposed to be the hero of the piece, but his behavior is always controlling and often deep down nasty.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Loved It!

Coming from a completely dysfunctional family, my husband has had to make me do things I didn't want to do for my mental health. Everything done for my benefit and to help. I'm a runner as well. I don't face anything head on and would rather walk away than confront. Denny does things in a sexual way but relates it to other parts of Alessa's life -- whether it's work, family or relationships. I loved how he handled everything. He talked her through her fears and I don't doubt that he would have stopped if she had continued to want to stop after listening to what he was trying to accomplish. It was a great learning experience and I loved this chapter. I just wish it was longer. I hope that chapter 20 shows up very soon!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
too many elements of non-consensual sex

Too much non-consensual stuff, man. He should stop the first time she says no. He should respect that she knows what she wants. I realize its your fantasy or whatever, but I am uncomfortable. ._. :/

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
As always

I dont mind your twisted idea of romance......but exactly what it says on the previous comments, just place your story where it belongs, some one suggested to check your other stories, well, I did......I'm sorry but how can you make the main man beat up and rape the main female character and call it romance its beyond me. Stop means stop,,, but I have to give it to you, the way you describe it, you created the dick shrink...she is just crazy and he is just fucking her sane.

AquarelaAquarelaover 8 years ago
How weird

Is the fact that whenever there is a negative note, there it is, the one that "loves it" and get every thing you say, because she whent trough the same and also has the same dick of a husband as Denny, sorry, perfect husband as Denton, and is also a runner.

Awesome

inspector123inspector123over 8 years ago
I thought this chapter was very erotic ...

The way Alessa was all tied up and at her lover's mercy. I will admit that Denny does have some weird ways to get Alessa to face her demons. Folks in order for this to be NonConsent Alessa has to strongly object and she did say yes and gave her permission in the beginning!

Ellienora35Ellienora35over 8 years ago
A woman has a right to remove her consent

So, here is the thing. I love non-consent. But in this case, she consented up front, but she didn't have a safe word. I think she is an adult and if she knows her step mother's mom is going to be a dumbhead, then she has a right to run. Yes, her dad should stand up for her, but the way the women treat her is a recurring problem. Walking away is actually sometimes a very healthy and grownup way to deal with things. Denny likes that she is a doormat for him. She gives in every time. Including this time. One thing he showed her was that no matter how hard she fights, she won't win with him either. Stop does mean stop, even if I have already said yes. I really hope she reflects on this and talks to Denny. I like him. But I wish he liked her, flaws and all instead of only trying to change her all the time. Please have her stand up to him about something? It would help him grow too.

I am only making these comments because I actually love this story.

cantfightfatecantfightfateover 8 years ago
This chapter bordered on nonconsent.

I appreciate that there is a lot of grey area and that Denny is trying to help Alessa but I felt my hackles rise when he pulled the "you promised I could do whatever I wanted to you" card. That was emotionally manipulative and frankly unacceptable. If she wants to stop, she can stop, no matter what she promised.

I also don't like how one sided their relationship is becoming. He is fixing so much, what part of Alessa does he even like? It's like he's trying to create his perfect woman from her, instead of accepting her for who she is. Yes, she has some trauma and everyone can work to improve their character but she doesn't have the chance to support Denny or help him improve. It's so one sided. He's 'perfect' (except for his large ego and white knight syndrome) and she needs work in all areas. Ugh. Unrealistic.

I still like the characters but hope Denny shows a little more humanity and that Alessa takes on the strong role for once, instead of being Denny's helpless little project.

cantfightfatecantfightfateover 8 years ago
Also... some elements of an abusive relationship-

he knows what's best for her. Her feelings are irrational and irrelevant, her methods of dealing with conflict are wrong, and he is right. His plans for her emotions, her actions, her reactions are superior to hers. Why should she make her own decisions? Just count on him to know what's best for her... count on him to do what's right. Stop thinking, stop fighting, stop feeling... hand over all your power, because what do you know about leading a successful life? And if you dare to think on your own, the "don't you trust me?" emotional blackmail comes out. Next, he'll be saying "If you loved me you'd..."

Yeah, as I said. Lots of grey area here, leaning towards the black. The controlling behavior is becoming more abusive than dominant, more creepy than romantic.

But there is hope for the characters. Alessa needs to stand up for herself and tell Denny no. And she needs to be able to help him to grow as well. Let's bring the balance back to their relationship.

DoctimeDoctimeover 8 years ago

Border line masochism and high class BDSM. Frankly, I am getting bored! I will probably stop reading until the series is done. Judging from the comments, I am not the only one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

First of all, the story is very well written, but yeah, I agree with the other comments. I'm feeling like she will never ever be good enough, or strong enough, or over her past enough for him. He's very controlling and manipulative, moreso than the general alpha male character, in his desire to put her pieces together again. I mean, if this was real life and I was her friend, I'd be telling her to run far and fast from him (and probably see an actual professional). There's nothing wrong with her having an escape route from a house where she feels attacked on all sides. Sometimes it is better to remove yourself from such a situation, and she doesn't want to lose her relationship with her sister by having giant fights every time she goes over there.

And then, after a likely emotionally difficult afternoon, Denny takes her off, blindfolded yet, to face one of her worst fears (the boat). And when she says she wants to stop, it should stop. It should have ended there, full stop, without him dragging out the 'you promised' thing or talking her into it by saying her body wants it.

I think (and it is your story so you can do what you want obviously) if Alessa showed some of that strength that has gotten her to where she is in life, stood up to him and showed him she is worth more than just being treated like a project, it would benefit his character. Knocking him down a few pegs from his perfectness would be a useful thing for him to learn. Because being emotionally manipulated and controlled under the pretense of help is not terribly romantic.

FrenchFriesFrenchFriesover 8 years ago
Good story

I've enjoyed this series since I found it in chapter 6. Please keep it coming!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

Please can you let us know when the next chapter will be submitted x

titania123titania123over 8 years agoAuthor
Ch 20 update..

Well, I'm sorry to say writing has been slow on this chapter as I've struggled working out some new relationships and dynamics. Good news is that I've gotten it all straight in my mind now and just need to get it written out. I'm also about 15 pages in, which is about 2 Lit pages, so it looks like it will be another lengthy chapter for you all, which is hopefully more good news. I would like to be finished with it this weekend and then it will be off to my editor. So I wouldn't check back until probably Wednesday for an update.

Sorry it's taking so long, but I hope it's worth the wait.

Titania

titania123titania123over 8 years agoAuthor
Ch 20 update...

I have submitted it as of 9.2 in the pm...so maybe Friday...but most likely Saturday.

Titania

Ellienora35Ellienora35over 8 years ago
Thanks for the update

Yay! Super excited to know what happens next.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Hope You Read these Comments.

Am reading this super story during Xmas season 2015. Most comments seem to be from those who have followed chapter by chapter. Must have been agony waiting -- my sympathies -- yet actually do not see how you write so quickly with such amazing situational dialogue. But, surely hope you deem to go back occasionally and read comments from us late-comers who at this point in our reading just have to say how much your craft is enjoyed. This thing is so good with such depth and breath, in every dimension, that it is addictive. Love your scenes I call your "what?" dialogues. Hope you know those I mean -- they are Aaron Sorkin level (ref Ch 1 comment). Horseman6:8:8

magevmagevover 7 years ago
problematic

I love your writing and your stories, but Denny's approach is rubbing me the wrong way. He is too pushy! I agree with many commentators who compare this to an abusive relationship and to imroperly done bdsm without a safe word. It just seems that ultimately he doesn't respect her as an autonomous individual, dismissing her feelings and reactions as wrong, etc. I understand the idea of pushing outside of the comfort zone, but I think he oversteps... I am really looking forward to her standing up to him!

kiwiplumkiwiplumover 3 years ago

He's great, she's great, wonderful story. I think he totally respects her, isn't it interesting how we all get different things out of this world you've woven us. Excellent writing either way

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous