All Comments on 'Two And Two Make Three'

by no_naysayer

Sort by:
  • 9 Comments
Scotsman69Scotsman69almost 12 years ago
A strange but utterly fascinating encounter.

Tight spare writing highlights the intensity.

DanielaRoDanielaRoalmost 12 years ago

Hard to follow..pretty boring too. Should this story make me wet..?

no_naysayerno_naysayeralmost 12 years agoAuthor
No

But it seems to make other women wet.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Your

Main character seems like she had to be totally off her face before she could take part in this. Makes me very uncomfortable this story does.

Scotsman69Scotsman69almost 12 years ago
Glad it made you uncomfortable.

It wasn't meant to be a wank story. Just a true one.

CritlitCritlitalmost 12 years ago
You know?

The problem with this story is that it is completely devoid of emotion, so it alienates your readers. Who can empathise with characters who reveal nothing in the way of feelings? This is an explosive situation, a first for all of them – and yet none of them reveal anything at all. Chunks of dialogue that don't show; don't take the story anywhere. It may be new-wave writing, but give me the kind that engages a reader, and stimulates thought, or reaction. No, it's not sexy, but it's not engaging either. If this were the first draft, I'd tell you it was a good start.

ASerbicWitASerbicWitalmost 12 years ago
Usually…

…the title of a short story has some relation to the text. Not only is the equation in the title manifestly ridiculous, but the story doesn’t add up to anything either. In addition, the title itself is also a minus in terms of meaningfulness. Perhaps the author knows how Two and Two Make Three within the parameters of this tale, but the logic of title, correspondence to story, and even the rationale of the story itself, eluded me. Perhaps it was a statistical allusion…and although the story is written with all the heart and sensibility of a calculating mind, the end result is false. Falsity of sentiment, of posture, of character, of trajectory. Two and Two Make Three? False.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
I agree with

Critlit.

There's nothing in the way of feeling here. How can so hot a situation leave the reader so cold?

Open your buttocks, no_naysayer, and let rip. What's the emotion behind this, especially those of the two women?

viavaiviavaiover 11 years ago
Writers, Amateurs and Critics

"Two and two continue to make four, in spite of the whine of the amateur for three, or the cry of the critic for five." - James McNeill Whistler. I'm with Mr Whistler.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous