Two or Three?

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Bruce interrupted again. "Not worth the effort. That was a trick, I expect, to keep you from chasing after them. The money's long gone." He shrugged. "As well in their hands as Lex's, I suppose. Perhaps better: they'll use it to lie low for a while. They'll be off their guard when I come for them."

He rose. "Get some more rest. I'll have Alfred fix you something for later. We're going after the Riddler tonight; be ready to move by eleven."

He moved to the door. Tim, shocked, said "But Bruce! What about... I mean, them, and me, and... and the code, and all."

Bruce stopped, but didn't turn. Looking at the wall, he spoke, more quietly now. "The work that we do imposes certain stresses on us. We can't do what we do if we're not tightly wound, and our more relentless adversaries couldn't do what they do if they weren't the result of psychological pressures themselves. Occasionally, when we meet, our psyches push against each other just so, provoking a reaction. Both sides feel it."

He paused. "I'm disappointed, but not angry. This sort of thing comes with the territory. You're not the first, or even the third. Ask Dick about Talia sometime, or Barbara about Nygma." He paused again, his shoulders tensing. "Or me about Selena." Tim swallowed in surprise. "Try to keep it from happening again," Bruce continued. "If you do feel the need to... blow off some steam"—Tim goggled at the euphemism—"let me know. I can make some arrangements. Until then, channel it into your work. It's the best fuel there is for what we do."

He left before Tim could reply. Tim settled backwards into his bed, stunned. That was an awful lot of food for thought. Bruce and Selena? Wow. 'Blow off some steam?' Bruce was usually far too literal for metaphors. Most of all: 'make some arrangements?' What was that about? The mind boggled at the possibilities.

For the moment, though, he meant to take Bruce up on his instructions and get some more rest. His last thoughts as he went to sleep were about his luck. Had he had two pieces of luck today, or three? He couldn't tell.