Uber Driver

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Um...sure," he said knowing he'd almost certainly have to cancel on someone to do so. And doing so almost always meant a bad rating and bad ratings were, well...bad for business.

"Speaking of ratings, we both gave you five stars for the ride. But that's only because we can't give six," Giselle told Gray as she entered her assessment of the ride on her phone.

"And I'm giving you both the same rating as passengers," he said.

"That makes you Du's first," Giselle said drawing another look from her friend.

"What she means is I've never ridden in an Uber vehicle before so this is my first-ever passenger rating."

Gray smiled and said, "I knew what she meant. After all the time we've spent together I think I understand Giselle pretty well."

"At least one of us does," Du said to Gray while looking at her best friend.

"Oh, you better take that back right now!" Giselle said pretending to be hurt.

"I guess I should be nice. She's buying me lunch and if I get her mad at me I don't think I could afford bread sticks in this place," Du said nodding toward one of the nicest places in the city. "Then again, a place like this wouldn't be serving bread sticks, huh?"

"Come on. I'm starving!" Giselle said as she hooked her arm in her friend's before Gray could even respond.

"It was a pleasure meeting you, Gray," Du said as her friend whisked her away.

"Same here," he said. "And I'll be back in two hours. Right here. Or...maybe I'll be circling the block if I can't find a parking spot!"

Du laughed then waved and Gray found himself staring as she walked away.

"Wow. That is one of the nicest-looking women I've ever seen," he said to himself as they disappeared inside. He was mentally comparing her to the model from The Price is Right and thought this woman was just as attractive and even more appealing.

Two hours later he was back, and as he'd feared there was no place to park. He rolled down his window then hollered out quickly, "I'll go around the block. Next time, I'll stop for a second to let you in if that's okay."

"Oh, sure! No worries!" Du called back with a smile as he kept on going.

It took nearly ten minutes just to creep around the block, but she was ready when he pulled up. She was inside in a flash and closed the door just as the driver behind him laid on the horn.

Gray held up a hand in an apologetic way as Du put on her seat belt.

"I still don't care for the traffic around here," she said as the car moved ahead.

"It's pretty awful," he told her. "If I didn't enjoy meeting new people as much as I do, I think that alone would make this unbearable."

"I've lived here for just over six years now and it still nerves me," she said.

"Is it too personal to ask where you're from?" he asked looking at her again in the mirror.

"No. Not at all," she replied. "My husband was a pilot in the Air Force and later a test pilot. He took a 15-year retirement as things wound down in Iraq and came here to fly for Boeing. Prior to that we were stationed at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio. I'm from South Dakota originally. I met my husband when he was stationed there at Ellsworth."

"Oh, sure. They turn out test pilots at Wright-Patterson, huh?" Gray said.

"I'm impressed. Yes, they do. I had no idea about the military in general or the Air Force in specific before I married him. It took me several years to learn those kinds of things. Is someone in your family in the military? Or...have you served?"

"Me? No. I just graduated from college last year. And as far as my family, no. Well, I do have an uncle who was in the Army back in the 70s, but he was an infantry guy who did four years and got out. So no, there's really not anyone. I just love science and airplanes and that kind of thing, and that's a fact I picked up somewhere that stuck."

"Did you major in science or engineering?" she asked.

"No. Marketing, actually. I love science but I'm not mathematically inclined and I know my limitations," he told her.

"Most of our limitations are ones we place on ourselves," she said. "Or at least that's what my husband used to say."

She saw him look away quickly and realized he was uncomfortable.

"Sorry. I know Giselle told you he died. If I made you feel uncomfortable, I apologize."

"Me? No. Not at all. I just couldn't help but feel bad for you," he told her. Then he quickly added, "Not that you need my pity or anything. I just can't imagine how awful that must have been, and I really am very sorry to hear that."

"Thank you," she said. "It was hard. Unbelievably so, in fact. I knew flying was dangerous, but once we left active duty I stopped worrying about him. And then one day just over two years ago, he left for work and that was the last time I ever saw him."

"Forgive me for asking, but was it a plane accident?"

"No. That's the really crazy thing. It was a car accident. Someone had been out drinking all night and tried driving home at the same time Ed, my late husband, was going to work. I'd thought about plane crashes far too many times, but never once thought about that happening."

It was quiet for a few seconds then Du said, "They say driving is far more dangerous than flying. I suppose that's true."

"Again, if I'm out of bounds, please tell, okay?" he said looking back at her.

She didn't reply so he asked, "Do you have children?"

He saw her look away quickly then said, "No. We kept waiting, you know? When you get promoted to captain or major. Maybe after you retire. Maybe when you...."

There was another period of silence before she said, "I'm still young enough to have a child and would love to. I...I just wonder if I'll ever find anyone to love again. It's much harder than I imagined."

"I feel like everything I say is in the 'none of my business' category, but for what my opinion's worth, you're a very beautiful woman, and while I'm really stepping all over myself, you seem to be a very classy one, at that. I can't imagine you'd have any trouble finding someone. When you're ready, of course."

"That was incredibly kind of you to say, Gray. It's not that I don't get compliments now and then, it's just that they're rarely so sincere. So thank you very much for being so sweet."

"As I said before I make it a point to be as honest as I can," he said trying to smile politely at her via the mirror.

"Well, you pretty much made my day," she told him. "It's not so much that I can't meet men. Lord knows Giselle is always trying to set me up with some doctor or lawyer or whatever. Most of them are nice enough, it's just that Ed was so...special. He was unlike any guy I ever knew. We weren't rich, but we had more than enough to be happy. Then again, money isn't a big deal to me like is to Giselle. Oh, please, please don't tell her I said that."

"Not a chance," Gray told her.

"Anyway, it was the way he treated me and made me feel. I'd live in a trailer park with a man who could make me feel that way again rather than in a gated mansion with some rich guy who's too busy to make me a priority."

Before Gray could reply Du said, "That sounded awful, huh? I'm not some kind of spoiled princess who demands time and attention. That just didn't come out quite right."

"I didn't think that," Gray said honestly. "We barely know one another so I won't pretend to know what you think let alone who you are, but my sense is you place a high priority on both giving and showing love. For what it's worth, so do I."

"I hope I do, anyway," she told him. "I don't know if I'll ever find another man like Ed, but I won't change who I am or compromise my values just to have a husband. The last thing I want is a relationship where I feel like I'm living separately with someone where I do my thing, he does his, and we occasionally do things together. I mean, I don't think either person should smother the other one, but they should really, genuinely enjoy spending time together and have a lot of common interests so that the time they do spend together is pleasant and enjoyable. They don't have to like all of the same things or even most, but they should have plenty of overlap."

When Gray didn't reply Du said, "I don't usually go on and on like that. Sorry if I was boring you."

"Boring me? Hardly. I was really enjoying listening to you," he assured her.

He glanced back at her then said, "Now it's my turn to ask. Please, please don't tell Giselle this, but this is such a pleasant change from the constant sexual innuendo with her. I love talking to her, and that's kind of our thing, but this is the kind of conversation I live for but rarely have. So no, you weren't boring me at all."

"I'm glad," she said. "You're very easy to talk to, Gray."

There was another quiet pause before she said, "And Giselle was right, by the way."

"About?" Gray asked glancing back at her.

"You're also very easy on the eyes," she said with a beautiful smile.

"Speaking of making someone's day," he replied. "And I'm not just saying this to return the compliment. You are one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen."

"Me?" she said her eyebrows raised high. "Oh, now you're just flattering me. It's very sweet to hear, but I'm thirty.... I'm well over thirty, and I'm not blind. I see my face every morning and there's no missing those lines and wrinkles. Thank goodness for makeup, right?"

Gray laughed politely and as he pulled up to her place, a modest little home about five miles outside the city limits, he said, "I certainly don't see them."

"Ahh! You really are sweet!" she said sincerely.

He pulled into the driveway then got out to open her door.

She went to hand him another ten and he said, "That's okay. This one's on me."

"I'm not rich, but I'm not exactly destitute, either. You deserve to be paid for your work," she said trying to hand him the money again.

"Without trying to sound too corny, but talking to someone so friendly and intelligent is far more important to me than a cash tip, and that's coming from a guy who tries to be as honest as possible."

Du stood there and looked at him for a couple of seconds then said, "Honesty is very appealing. I wish everyone had it."

"But they should stop short of brutal honesty, right?" he said with a smile.

"Ah, good point," Du agreed. "Yes, no one wants to be told their butt really does look big, huh?"

She playfully looked over her shoulder at her own as she said it.

Gray chuckled along with her then told her, "Right. But in your case, they would be lying if they said it was."

Du gave him an 'oh, brother' kind of look then tried putting the money in his hand again and said, "Seriously. Please let me give you this."

"On one condition," he said.

"Uh-oh," she said with that 'what now' look on her face.

"If you ever need another ride, promise me you'll let me know."

Her look immediately changed to one of kindness as she promised him she would.

"I thought you were going to ask me out or something," she said with a polite smile.

"Hmmm. Why do you look so relieved that I didn't?" he said trying to pretend to be deeply hurt.

"I wasn't aware that's how I looked," she said sweetly.

"You could have been a little more subtle," he said playing along.

"Well, maybe next time you take me somewhere, I can make it up to you," she said still smiling.

"Fair enough. But I'm gonna hold you to that," he warned her playfully.

"You should know that unlike Giselle, I have a car and can actually drive it. So while I'm really not poor or destitute, I prefer to drive myself and save the money. No offense, of course."

Her smile was downright amazing and Gray, who rarely ever found himself at a loss for words, didn't know what to say in response.

Sensing the uneasiness of the moment, Du said, "It really was a pleasure meeting you, Gray."

He snapped out of his momentary daydream and told her, "You too, Du."

He stood there thinking about the rhyme then said, "That sounds so...different."

She laughed and told him, "I hear that all the time. That and about a thousand other things from 'do drop in' to Mountain Dew to...you name it. Like most things, having a very unusual name has an upside and a downside."

She smiled then said, "I guess I'm just a real one-of-a-kind."

"Well, I'd have to say I agree with that but for different reasons," he said in the friendliest way possible with a polite smile.

For the briefest of moments, Du found herself looking at Gray differently. It had very little to do with his gorgeous looks, but more to do with the kind of person he was. The feeling didn't last long, and she intuitively knew he was much too young, but out there somewhere there had to be a Gray Ellis kind of guy who was 35 or 40 and at least reasonably good looking. Somewhere....

"Well, thank you again for the ride and for the very pleasant conversation," she told him.

"My pleasure," he told as they smiled at one another before Du headed inside.

This time, as he watched her walk away, he was just as aware of how attractive she was, but he was also now very aware of what an interesting and pleasant a person she was.

His fanciful thoughts were short-lived as he was soon back in heavy Seattle traffic just as he saw that someone had slammed him hard for canceling on them. Normally he'd have been very upset, but after realizing the trade off was getting to know Xanadu Strickland, he felt it was more than equitable.

Four days passed before Giselle's name showed up again on his schedule. This time she was all alone and couldn't wait to talk to her handsome, young Uber driver.

"My, my," she said as soon she saw him. "Someone made quite the impression on my main girl a few days ago."

"Are you referring to Mrs. Strickland by any chance?" Gray said as he helped her in.

"I most certainly am."

She waited until they were both in the car then said, "I can't remember her talking about anyone—male or female—as much as she talked about you since your ride home. Except for Ed, of course. Are you sure it was just a...car...ride?"

"Giselle. What am I gonna do with you?" he asked.

Before he could cover for the mistake he'd made by opening up a can of worms, she told him she had all kinds of ideas as to what she'd let him do to her.

"Not the spanking thing again, right?" he said knowing where this was going.

"Not for me, but my friend on the other hand...."

"She doesn't strike me as that kind of girl," Gray said politely.

"No, she's not. She really is a special kind of person. So was her husband. That's why she's had such a hard time starting over. Oh sure, everyone talks better about a loved one after they die, but in Ed's case, it was all true. He was an amazing guy and they were such a good fit. Du said you reminded her of him. A lot. Especially in the way you made her feel."

"From what little I know about her husband, I take that as a very sincere and flattering compliment. I don't think I could even step into the shoes of a man like that let alone wear them, but it was kind of you to say."

"Well, someone will have to step into them one of these days. They wanted to start a family in the worst way, and I think they were very close to getting serious about it just days before he was killed. What a horrible shame," she said being uncharacteristically thoughtful and quiet.

"There's no one in her life? No one at all?" Gray asked finding that a little hard to believe.

"She seemed really interested in one guy a few months ago. A doctor. But he was quite a bit younger and not at all interested in having children. Age wasn't the issue. Not wanting children was, and that was the end of it before it really got going. She didn't date anyone at all for a year and a half after Ed died. Then it was one date here and one date there. I was hopeful this doctor might be the one but no such luck. And then not that long ago, she just stopped going out altogether. She wouldn't tell me why, but something must have happened."

"It's better to find out beforehand, right? About having kids," Gray offered.

"Yes, it is," she said before heaving a deep sigh.

"Everything okay, Giselle?"

"Oh. Sorry. Sure, everything's just fine," she said. The recovery was quick, but Gray knew something was going on. As usual, he knew better than to ask.

"You know you can talk to me about anything, right?" he told her.

"Yes, but I can't talk about certain things. Not even with you, handsome. That's why I keep it light and playful," she told him her thin veneer of happiness now gone.

"Well, if you ever do feel like talking, you call me, okay? Anytime."

"You should have been a doctor, Gray. You'd make a great psychiatrist," she said in an almost-sad voice.

"Or maybe a bartender?" he offered. He got a brief laugh and after that, they rode in silence for the first time ever.

A couple of day later, it was Friday and Gray preferred working late as there were rides galore with people partying hardy all around town. He didn't make the kind of big tips he got from Giselle and her friends, but the trips were short and fast, and that meant lots of smaller tips. In the end, it all added up.

At one point, he saw a request from a guy named Carlos, and drove to the location where he was waiting to be picked up. He had a friend with them and both of them piled into the back. Gray smelled the booze immediately and hoped they were happy drunks.

"Where to, my friends?" he asked.

Carlos gave him the address and Gray headed out. The guys in the back were laughing and talking loudly in Spanish, something that happened quite frequently. Gray knew quite a few words and phrases but couldn't follow a conversation. Everything was going well until Carlos's friend's phone rang. The tone of voice changed from happy to very serious, and Gray knew he was cursing in Spanish. The friend was telling Carlos what he heard and that set him off, too.

"Change of plans, vato," Carlos told Gray. Carlos gave the driver their new destination, and it sent chills down Gray's back.

"Sorry, man. That's the one place I will not go. I can get you close, but...."

The feel of cold steel on his neck was unmistakable. "End the ride right now and take your account off line."

Gray complied immediately then waited for further instructions.

"You don't understand, cabron. We're not asking. Now drive!"

That area was dark, abandoned, and in the part of town where more murders took place than any other, and for the first time since he started driving, Gray was afraid.

"I don't want any trouble, okay?" he said.

"As long as you do what you're told there won't be any," Carlos told him.

He heard Carlos ask his friend, "Donde esta Martin?" (Where is Martin?)

His friend evidently provided specific directions and Carlos passed them on to Gray.

"Turn right then go back behind that warehouse on the left," he said pointing with the barrel of the gun he was holding.

As Gray turned in to the abandoned parking lot, he saw a man about their age sitting down and leaning back against a wire fence clutching his stomach. There was blood all over the man's white tee-shirt, and Gray suddenly felt panicked.

"Stop the car and don't fucking move! You understand?" Carlos told him, pointing the gun at him as he got out.

Gray replied he understood completely as he watched the two men go to the aid of their friend. Seconds later they were picking him up and carrying him to the car. The man was obviously in agony and trying not to scream as they put him in the back seat.

Gray had bigger worries than blood all over his still-relatively-new car as they put their friend in between them.

"Drive!" Carlos said as Gray sat there just looking at them in the mirror.

"The nearest hospital is just...."

"No fucking hospitals, puto!"

"Your friend needs a doctor. Jesus, he's gonna bleed to death if we don't...."