Vice Cop Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What?"

"That's right. Politics. I've been known to support Republican politicians and have always voted Republican. I have had it with you California liberals telling me I'm the Devil and that I'm only interested in making money."

"You're avoiding the real issue here. I'm not here to discuss politics. That's not what a cop or detective concerns himself when there is crime being done. There is a Mafia clan working with you and you know it. That would explain the casino and its glittering success. Thatwould also explain why you are really indifferent about the murder. The murder was intended for me because I'm after the Mafia, namely the Dinos family. Tell me. Did Gianni -"

"I'm not saying anymore. I plead the Fifth. This is outrageous. I'm a well respected Captain and -"

"You don't even give me your name."

"My name's Austin. Austin Grimley. You are making a grave mistake, Mr. Holmes."

"We'll see. If the investigation proves that you're dealing with the Mafia, then you will be placed under arrest. Good night, Captain."

He exited the door and the Captain was fuming with rage. In a sudden fit of anger, he threw a vase on to a mirror, cracking it............

Hudson was not armed with a gun. He had not anticipated he'd be doing cop work on thecruise. He wished he had his gun now. This was teaching him a lesson. Apparently, he'd always have to carry a gun, even when it looked like he didn't need to. What a life. Someday, I'll have to write a book about my life as a cop, he thought, or get a ghost writer to do it. He had very little talent for writing and had been an average English student. He decidedhe'd have to use his fists for this one. He was still in his suit, and he looked nothing like a cop. He was just one of the passengers. He followed the tracks of the Italian man whose name was Fabrizio.

Fabrizio was still holding the phone and talking to Gianni, who had become suspicious about Mason Holmes. Fabrizio did not notice Hudson following him. They were on the deck and crossing the maze of hallways, stairs and different floors and passageways that lead to the Showrooms. People were up and about, having a good time, with

drinks in their hands and enjoying the night air. More people got out at night. The moon was like a silver saber and cast sparkles over the ocean. From a distance, the first port of call, Nassau, was in view. Everyone was eager to explore the place.

Hudson made sure he didn't look conspicuous so he followed while at the same time blending in with the crowds. He didn't know who this bastard was but he hated him, hated him for even thinking of

killing Lexa O'Neil. He recoiled in horror at the idea of his partner dead. He had been with Lexa on so many missions and had begun to respect and admire her. It was a beautiful feeling that seemed, for the moment, to replace the more ardent feelings that struck him. Besides, he had always fantasized about saving Lexa and now he

felt he was sure to do that.

"Gianni, you're breaking up," said Fabrizio over the phone, "what did you say?"

"We gotta get out of this ship," said Gianni, "we'll have to make an escape in Nassau.

From there, we can call for one of our men to pick us up in a helicopter. I don't mean our men back in New York or Jersey, some of my dad's old Nassau business contacts. They'll be sure to help us."

"What's going on? Are there cops aboard the ship?"

"That's right. That Homicide dick brought along trouble for us. You have to be on your guard, Fabrizio."

This last comment made Fabrizio look over his shoulder. He caught sight of Hudson and

stared into his face. Hudson stared back, poised, with a blank look. But the way he stood,

tall, strong, with those intense eyes of his, it made Fabrizio suddenly aware that this was

no regular passenger. He began to run and Hudson soon began to chase him. This immediately startled the passengers strolling on deck. It looked like someone had stolen something or had something criminal and was trying to make a run for it.

Hudson's feetwere swift for his big body but Fabrizio was equally fast and light on his feet. The chase would be a long one. They ran down a hallway and Fabrizio hid behind a corner. Hudson

suddenly slowed down.

"Come out, you scum," Hudson said, "I'm with the New York Police Department. I know what

you're up to and you'd better be damned sure I will put a stop to you before you kill her."

Fabrizio managed to sneak into the Main Showroom which was just ahead of him. Hudson had not noticed...................

Captain Austin Grimley phoned Gianni after Mason left his quarters.

"Gianni, that dick Mason Holmes is on to you," he told him, "it's best you leave. He even threatened me. I have my ways to get out of it, even if I'm brought to court. But you, with your record, you gotta get out of here."

"I'm leaving when we reach Nassau," Gianni said, "I'm just waiting for my guys to show up. I have no idea where they are."

"Your cousins Fabrizio and Tony?"

"Yeah. I called them a while ago."

"Be careful."

For the first time ever in his secure wealthy life, the Captain was afraid. He looked out from his window, which stood above a faux nautical steering wheel. Nassau was in view and he

felt that perhaps he too should run away. But that would definitely look like he had something to hide. Perhaps his lawyers would save him or he'd use his Southern charm. He would lie and make it look like the Mafia had used extortion and threatened him. Obviously this would mean the end of the casino business on the cruise and he would be enemies with Gianni. He had no idea how to proceed and he had very little time to make up his mind about what to do......

* * * *

Lexa was in her dressing room.

She was changing into her gown and was vocalizing, the way her mother used to except in

a lighter, smaller voice. She was going to sing "Moon River" her favorite song and she hoped that she'd do justice to it. She wanted more than anything to impress her mother so she did not care if she lost the competition. As she arranged her hair in a bun, she heard footsteps coming toward the door.

"Mason? Is that you?" she said.

Lexa felt a chill crawl down her spine.

Her cop instincts were instantly activated. There was no reply and she heard heavy breathing. Something was completely wrong. Somewhere in her gut, drawing from all the years of experience working as a cop and risking her life daily, she knew that the person outside her door was up to no good. But the problem was she didn't have a gun

or any way to defend herself. She would have to fight the person physically or throw a chair at him to knock him unconscious.

The door opened slowly, as if in a dream, as if in a nightmare she had always had. The man was in a dark coat and he pointed a gun straight at Lexa. When he fired, the bullet struck the glass of the mirror, cracking it, but Lexa swiftly dodged the bullet by bending down on her knees. The man shut the door behind them. He was angry and silent and Lexa knew that whoever this person was, he knew she was a cop and he wanted to kill her.

"You're making this difficult, cop bitch," Fabrizio said to her, "I'm going to have to strangle you to death."

"Who sent you?" Lexa said to him, showing no fear, retreating to the back of the room.

"I'm not saying a word, I'm just following orders," he replied, getting closer to her.

This was a hit, thought Lexa, someone, somewhere, wanted her dead. She wondered if it had something to do with either her father, now having returned to service as a cop and was after the Mafia, or perhaps Mason Holmes who was doing much the same thing. Somehow, she was getting mixed up in the crossfire. She took courage and her eyes focused on him.

He shot another bullet, but again Lexa dodged it by opening the door to a closet. The bullet struck a hole in the door. Fabrizio was nearly groaning with frustration and rage. He continued to fire and soon bullet holes were all over the walls of the dressing room. Lexa knew she had little time to waste. In a matter of seconds, she could be shot and wounded, even killed. If only he had not closed the door. Perhaps no one was hearing the shots.

"Why don't you die? Make it easy," Fabrizio shouted.

Lexa jumped on him all of a sudden, locking her legs over his shoulders. In his confusion,

he dropped the gun and was unable to pick it up. Lexa then jumped off and knew she had to fight him. He found it crazy to fight a woman but she was punching him and threw him to the floor. He tried to reach for the gun but Lexa continued to hit him and fight him..........

From the stage of the Main Showroom, Roxella had left for her dressing room and Jeff Jensen took stage again.

"Ladies and gentlemen, our next singer, Lexa O'Neil, has prepared a special rendition of

Henry Mancini's "Moon River". And now, here's the lovely lady cop from Manhattan, New York, Miss Lexa O'Neil!"

Applause echoed in the room and everyone's eyes turned to the curtains. But there was a delay and Lexa did not emerge from the wings. Jeff Jensen was baffled. He continued to call Lexa's name but she did not come to the stage. He showed grace under fire and was used to this sort of thing so he smiled and faced the audience.

"Perhaps she's got stage fright," he joked, "isn't that something? She never has this kind of fright working as a cop in New York City. So if you'll all be patient, she'll be here shortly."

He summoned a member of the crew, a brawny man in tight black shirt and jeans.

"Please go check Ms. O' Neil's dressing room and see what's the matter," he whispered to him.........

Hudson was still looking for Fabrizio but did not see him anywhere. He figured that if he

was out of sight, at least on deck, he must have found a way into the interior of one of

the rooms, either the casino, or the surrounding rooms where guests gathered for activities.

He knew it was going to be difficult locating him aboard a huge cruise ship.

In truth, thiswas so sudden and so confusing, he felt surely it was the hardest assignment he'd ever take on, and this one just fell on to his lap by accident. But he knew that it was Lexa's

life that was at stake. Suddenly, using his logic, he figured that perhaps this person knew that Lexa was singing in the Star Search show and he was planning to kill her. The best place to be at the moment was her dressing room. He hurried toward the dressing rooms. He knew where Lexa's was located because it was next to Roxella's and he remembered he had found Lexa's by accident.

He ran as fast as his feet could carry him. He ignored people's questions when they saw

him running backstage and even those who tried to stop him.

When he found the dressing room, he kicked open the door. He found Lexa wrestling with

Fabrizio and almost gasped.

He then got on top of Fabrizio and pinned him down. Lexa got up. As she looked up she saw the crew man on Star Search that Jeff had sent.

"What's going on here?" he said.

"That man attacked me," Lexa pointed to Fabrizio.

Hudson punched him and kept him motionless under him.

"You son of a bitch," he yelled at him, "you'll pay for attacking my partner."............

There was very little understanding of what actually happened aboard the cruise.

When The Siren reached Nassau, Captain Austin Grimley was found dead in his quarters, an apparent act of suicide. He had shot himself in the mouth. He left behind a note and blamed the Mafia for pushing him into sordid business he had come to regret far too late.

Gianni Dino was nowhere to be found. Although Fabrizio was caught, Tony was not. Mason Holmes

got together with Hudson Banach and Lexa to talk about the matter at hand. The Star Search show went on as scheduled, and the audience was not aware of any of the incidents. It was decided they would not know. It was best they enjoy the cruise.

In Mason and Lexa's cabin, they all sat down by the couch looking concerned. Lexa was alright. Being a tough New York City girl, she had been used to attacks. When she had been a young woman just starting life on her own, she had been mugged. There was also another attack when she had first become a cop. Those were the

difficult days that tested her endurance. There were some who did not care for a female cop and the attacks were committed by hateful men who did not want a woman cop in the city. But Lexa had survived it all and even this attack did not faze her.

Mason Holmes waked about the room.

"I've already called the Chief," he said, "and explained to him that this incident was Mafia

related and that it was Gianni Dino, finishing his daddy's business. Lexa's father, Emeric

O'Neil had captured and arrested Gianni's father, Luigi and he died in prison. This is about

revenge. The Mafia hit was for me, but the poor Californian was killed instead. This other

hit man was after Lexa too, obviously to get back at me for writing about my dislike for

the Mafia and how I plan to go after them."

"This is what you kept from me," Lexa said, "and I think my dad is on the same mission."

"Yes," Mason replied, "that's the truth. I just didn't want you to worry too much."

Lexa sighed. She was silent and pensive for a moment but she kept her eyes on Mason.

Hudson looked at them and marveled at their chemistry. It always seemed to him as if

it was a passion for justice and their detective work that brought them together. He did not like how comfortable, even beautiful and leisurely Lexa seemed with Mason. Whenever he was paired with her, no matter how great they were together, there was always tension

and discomfort.

"Take care of him, Mason, please," Lexa said, "he's an old man. I'd hate for something to happen to my father."

"You have my promise," Mason said to her, "I'll make sure he'll be fine."

"Where do you suppose Gianni and the Captain are now?" Hudson inquired.

"My guess is they had connections with Nassau, most likely drug lords who do business

with them, "Mason said.

"That makes sense."

"What we need to do now is to keep our eyes out for the Mafia. As we speak, La Cosa Nostra grows bigger and bigger. New York City is a kind of playground for them and their work place. We have to be vigilant."

"Let's just go back to New York at any rate, " Lexa said, "I want to go home."

"Me too," Hudson said, thinking of Roxella..........

1...345678