Welcome to the Neighborhood Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I found his eyes, offering, "Thank you for coming to see me tonight and for the kind words. Truth be told, you're the one person that I really wanted to tell."

He managed a "You're welcome" before pressing his lips against mine. This time wasn't passionate or rushed. It was soft and comforting. The kind of touch that gave me everything I needed in the moment, yet felt like a ounce of restraint.

His voice changed tone, offering "I'm sorry it has to be this way, at least for right now."

I nodded, not acknowledging his apology, but not accepting it either. He added, "I just want to be closer to you." Suddenly I saw his eyes light up with an idea "Hey, I've love to meet your friends sometime."

I croaked my head, "My friends? Really?"

He nodded, "Yeah. I mean they obviously mean a lot to you. And you- you mean a lot to me." He leaned in to a whisper, "Plus I've already met you parents." He winked.

I stood there for a second, knowing it probably wasn't for the best. Yet somehow I wanted it anyway. As if sensing my hesitation, he pleaded, "Let me into your world, Nick."

Pushing my doubts aside, I agreed, "Oh-okay yeah. Ty's having a BBQ this weekend and I'll let them know you're coming."

***

Right as I put the car in park, I turned to Cory, "Are you sure you wanna do this?"

He looked at me, confused, "Yeah, of course I'm sure."

Today was the day Nick was going to meet my friends and I found myself scared shitless. I fought the urge to cancel last minute and not go through with it, but I knew I had to do it eventually. Nick's wife had left a few days ago and since then, he'd been making up for the time spent away. All of the doubts I felt that night he came to visit me had been pushed aside. Not removed entirely, just no longer at my forefront.

I sighed, unbuckling my seat belt, "It's just- my friends can be pretty brutal, they don't really know when to let up. Hell, back in high school, we had to assure everyone else that we were kidding. They seriously thought we were bullying each other."

He grabbed my wrist, steadying my motions, "Nick- I've been through an eighteen month deployment at a small barracks with over a hundred other dudes. Lots of testosterone, lots of egos. I think I can handle a few of your buddies."

Opening the door, I replied, "I warned you."

Cory grabbed the beer from the trunk and we headed to the back gate of Ty's yard. Ty ran over as soon as he heard the door swing open. He welcomed me with a hug, messing up my hair as he pulled away. Ty looked towards Cory, extending out his arm, "You must me Cory. Well I'm Ty, nice to meet you."

Cory shook his hand as Ty continued, "So nice of you to break way from the Senior Citizens Center to hang out with us youngings."

Cory met his joke with a laugh. I leaned in, "So I may have filled them in a bit. No details- just the essentials."

He nodded, grabbing a beer and heading over to the rest of the guys. Connor was positioned at the grill, flipping over what looked like brauts and steaks. Mitch was beside him, sitting down at the table halfway through telling Connor a story about his latest conquest with women. A failed conquest, if I may add.

Connor stepped away from the grill, shaking Cory's hand. I relaxed, knowing that out of all my friends, Connor would have some decency. Connor asked, "So Cory, how long have you been robbing the cradle?"

I nearly spat out my beer. Nope, not even Connor could resist the shit-talking. Cory leaned back, "I don't know, man, it was your friend Nick here who actually propositioned me."

Mitch raised a brow, "Really now? I don't know what's more shocking- finding out he was gay or that he finally grew some balls."

I leaned into my chair, laughing, "Screw you dude"

Mitch quipped, "Careful Nicky, we wouldn't want to make Cory here jealous" He winked, followed by an uproar of laughter from the group.

The rest of the afternoon went off without a hitch. Cory relaxed around the guys, answering their questions and matching their quick whit as if he'd been friends with them for years. I would look over occasionally, mouthing to Cory, asking if he was alright. Cory would nod, assuring him that all was good. As he continued to bond with my friends, I sighed in relief, letting go of the uneasiness I felt when they first parked.

After a few dozen beers and an endless amount of crude jokes and cheap shots at my expense, I felt the afternoon draw to a close. I sat for a minute, soaking up the overcast sun that crept over my skin. It felt nice- being with my friends and sitting mere feet away from Cory without having to pretend we were anything other than together. We weren't exactly making out or holding hands in front of everyone else, but we touched occasionally. We stole glances, made weird faces and even shared a kiss when no one else was looking. I couldn't ask for much more.

I looked over at Connor a few times and my eyes were met with a blank stare. He looked as if he was preoccupied. After a while, he somewhat became aware of himself and he continued to drink his beer and laugh along with the rest of his. A little while after, Connor, ever the parent of the group, gathered up the dishes as the rest finished their beers. I got up shortly after, bringing in the rest into the kitchen where Connor was already perched over the sink.

Sliding the door behind him, I commented, "You know this isn't even your house and you're cleaning."

Assuming he hadn't heard me, I stepped closer, "Hey man, let me give you a hand with those."

Connor dropped the plate, turning off the faucet. Wiping his hands he asked, "Nick, what are you doing?"

Confused, I reiterated, "Uh I'm trying to help you wash these."

He shook his head, "No. I meant what are you doing..." He enunciated, "with him?"

I raised an eyebrow, "With Cory? What do you mean? I thought you guys were getting along."

Connor leaned back on the counter, "We get along fine, but that's not the problem here."

I walked closer, growing angry with every step, "Then what the fuck is the problem Connor? Look I knew Mitch and Ty would give him shit, but I at least expected you to give him a chance."

Connor took a breath, holding back his own anger. He drew his eyes straight at me, "He's married Nick. What the hell are you doing dating some married guy."

My mouth flew open. He knew. Someone else knew the charade I had been playing for the past month or so. I tried to come up with some excuse that could explain the situation but there wasn't one. Connor explained, "He pulled out his phone to show me some pictures of his friend's beach house and I saw a ring fall out of his pocket. At first, I dismissed it, but he was so set on picking it up before anyone could see. Hell, he even looked around to check if anyone saw him drop it."

I took a seat at the counter, nervously running my hands along my thighs. I was overwhelmed. When I pictured my two worlds colliding this morning, I didn't think it would end with this conversation. Connor shook his head, "I knew that you weren't stupid enough to not see it, which only tells me that not only did you know, but you're okay with it."

I protested, raising my voice as if trying to make him listen, "I'm not okay with it, Connor! I fucking hate it!"

Connor matched my volume, "Then why are you with him, Nick? Huh? You're out there messing with people's lives and for what, sex?"

I started to tremble. It was like my body trying to cope with being pulled in two different directions. I was angry at his assumptions- abstracting mine and Cory's relationship to just sex. But I knew deep down that he was right. And that it all started because I wanted him.

Connor took a breath, lowering his voice, "You know how hard it was for me and Quinn when we moved away for college. We went months without seeing each other. I fucking missed her Nick. There were nights when I begged to be touched again. To feel someone against me. It got to the point where I didn't care if it was Quinn at all. And I confessed to you how I came this close to cheating on her."

I added, "But you didn't."

Connor nodded, "Because you talked me out of it. I was a wreck and you made me see that I was about to make a mistake that I couldn't take back."

Connor walked over, sitting beside me, resting his arm on my shoulder, "So this is me reaching out to you, my best friend, telling you not to make this mistake. You can still walk away from this before it gets any messier."

I gulped. Taking in Connor's words like cheap alcohol that burned my throat. I knew that he cared for me and this was him calling me on my bullshit. But I couldn't take it. I held back my tears, confessing, "But...I can't. I can't walk away."

Connor turned to me, "Christ. You love him, don't you?"

I could only nod. Other words would only dig me into a deeper hole. Connor got up slowly, "Look Nick, I've said everything I needed to say. The rest is on you. But this situation that you're in..." He pointed at the backyard towards Cory. "It ends with someone getting hurt."

He walked over towards the sink, "And I just hope that it isn't you."

I sat there for a few minutes in silence. I didn't know what else to do. Connor had his back turned and I watched as he aimlessly scrubbed away at a plate. It was as if, no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't make it clean again. I knew the feeling.

12