What Price Power? Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

With that he headed back to house, bathing quickly. He had many plans for the next day and even more concerns. Last moment instructions for his staff. They would have extra work tonight, and he would have an interrupted night. Still a small investment for future. They were after all insuring the health of the future Lady of the house even if they did not yet know it.

Jenyse was asleep but woke the moment he returned. Once more he checked on Mina then slid into bed beside the concubine. He didn't ask. He didn't care that two men stood in the room. He didn't care that Mina was asleep beside them. He tugged Jenyse's nightgown up enough to bare her smooth folds for his use. Driving in with no regard to her readiness and intent on nothing save his own release. His plans for the day had been far different, and it should have been Mina's sweet little body that was beneath him, not struggling to survive the night.

____________________________________

The prince smiled and bowed deeply, "Lady Elin a true pleasure to have you brighten the evening for Father and I tonight."

The elderly lady beamed at him and he realized if nothing else his lessons were making life in court easier, the normally sour matron was tittering like a maiden at his attention. All those small things he had never realized, catching and holding eyes, smiling in earnest even if it was not her that brought the smile. Taking a hand and brushing a kiss over the wrinkled fingers, treating her as he would have his treated his beloved. He had no name for the green eyed maiden, so he simply thought of her as Jade in his fantasies. He escorted her with dignity to the sitting room, taking the time to fuss over her and make certain everything she needed was at hand. All this made her flush and fan herself, he hated the cloying scent of her perfume. Jade would carry the scent of flowers, of spice, of honey..

He trailed fingers over the matrons hand in a gentle stroke, "Would you like a glass of wine before the meal? Father just got in a sweet amber berry wine from the north, light enough to not cloud the mind, sweet and fresh on the tongue after a long day."

"It sounds lovely my dear boy, I should indeed like a bit of something refreshing." She wished for a moment she was a few decades younger, and she would have seen if the boys stamina matched his sires. He was starting to mature, gaining the grace and manners he would need in the treacherous world they lived in.

When she was younger it had been no less treacherous, but it had been far different. Then Magi had been useful playmates, so long as one took precautions against an unwanted complication several moons later. She herself had enjoyed the attention of a handsome youth, elder son of a very notable family, displaced of course once his talent became known. Still he had been so eager to please, so needy, she had almost thought about keeping him once betrothed. But his temperament was not given to discretion. If he could have just played the game then she would have kept him. Instead she had to get rid of him, wasn't hard to arrange for him to become drunken, to work him to a frenzy of need. Then her maid servant had ran to the guards insisting that her mistress was being attacked.

They arrived to find him half dressed and tying her to the bed with strips torn from her gown. A mage can only preform his magic if aware. The guards had made sure he wasn't awake more than a few seconds, a beating then keeping him gagged and bound had allowed the time for the trial such as it was. Out of respect for her virtue and the wealth of his family, everything was hushed and he was banished back to his fathers estate.

Hindsight being so much clearer than the blindness of youth, her betrothed after having wedded and bedded left her with his parents. He visited her once every few months supposedly due to the unrest caused by the Magi. He had gotten himself gutted in one of the riots, his parents had blamed her for not keeping him closer to home. And she had ended up at the mercy of the Kings court. Which meant opening her legs to him, or anyone he thought should be pleased. Eventually being married off to a man old enough to be her grandfather.

With his death she had returned as a proper matron of the court, in charge of those of the King's wards who were considered valuable for future marriage alliances. She both envied them the lovely youth they had, the futures they could have. And regretted most of them would never know the court of her youth with it's luxury and decadence. She observed the young prince now fawning over another matron. She knew the king was hopeful that there would be a female magi presented to him soon. And the balance restored.

She knew at least one of the leaders of the Magi. He would kill any female magi to prevent even a chance of that.

____________________________________

Mina awoke with the first faint rays of dawn trying to sneak in though the window. She was curled tight against the Lord, but she could see the two guards. A frown, then the memory flooded back, a whine and he awoke looking at her alarmed. "Shhhh safe now. " She didn't flinch as he petted her, although it was confusing to her. Hunger tore through her, she whined again. He moved and lifted her from the bed, she noticed that Jenyse was sleeping deeply still in the bed. She didn't remember what had happened? Had they? Her body made it's demand for food, but also for relief. She flushed crimson as he took her to the garderobe, "While you relieve yourself I'll have another tray prepared."

She was grateful for the privacy and to be honest his thoughtfulness of her need. She felt so shaky, an attempt to stand and walk to the wash basin left her panting in exhaustion. Her hands were shaky, her wrists bone thin, She appeared starved, bewildered at the gaunt pale reflection of herself, not even recognizing herself at first. He came back in and tsked at her before again sweeping her into his arms. Seeing her attention on the mirror, "The worst is over. This is the wasting, your body cannibalized to feed your core. But you are awake and you will recover now. I have a surprise of sorts for you."

He carried her through a set of halls she had never been in before, the scent of fresh paint lingering in the air here, but also the dusty unused scent that places abandoned sometimes got. The first room was large, bare floors and bare white walls, not a scrap of furniture to soften the echoes. The next made her gasp, warmth, green the first rose gold tint of light flooding the area, an enclosed garden. Her eyes widened as he sat her on a divan that didn't belong to such a place, but must have been brought here for her. A table sat near and two other comfortable looking chairs.

"My grandmothers solarium, she hated winter chill and the lack of plants so turned it into greenhouse so she could have green growing things about her. It will be warm and quiet in here for you." A maid slipped in and set a heavily laden tray down, "Relax, I will feed you."

Mina settled back among the pillows and stared about in wonder, it had an air of neglect, but had thrived still, the green was lush and calming to her, the room becoming brighter, the morning sky painted above her. Not a true green house she noted, a walled garden with a glass ceiling. Her stomach twisted and growled for her to pay attention elsewhere. He laughed and offered her a bite of bread, butter gleaming and honey dripping from it. Did he really intend to hand feed her every bite?

The answer turned out to be yes, he ate sparingly himself. He spoke of misadventures in this room as a child, before his mother had claimed it upon his grandmothers death. His eyes grew hard at the mention of his mother and she knew with the instinct of a mouse seeing a snake for the first time it was a dangerous thing. She was sleepy again as the hunger abated. But fought to stay awake.

"Now ready for your surprise?"

Mina blinked owlishly at him, hadn't it been breakfast in this room? "The guards let a man she recognized as one of the stable grooms in, He had a basket in one hand and his hat in the other, looking as nervous as she usually felt inside the house. Something was alive in the basket, a furry something was trying to get to the latch and release the lid of the basket. "M'Lord.. as you asked? And I also asked your housekeeper, she remarked she knew where your Grandmothers things were stored. So will have all that the little beast needs. Well save food, but the kitchen will be.. " He rambled nervously till the Lord held a hand up. "Show Mina her new pet."

Pet? Mina had never had one, never even thought of one, she had enough trouble keeping herself. The grooms eyes widened at the sight of her settled in a nest of pillows and blankets, then opened the basket and drew something black from it, settling it into her lap and backing away lest the Lord be angry for some imagined slight or interest.

Mina gaped at the petite creature, black fur was fluffed in all directions, green eyes glared up at her indignant at the basket ride. A brush of a tail lashed once, twice, then was distracted by a lock of her hair and pouncing on it. She smiled and reached out timidly, the fur was soft, it was warm and rumbled as she stroked it, looking pleased with her attention. Or maybe with it's new toy, a tassel on one of the pillows.

She didn't even notice the groom smiling at her as he backed out, nor the tray taken away. Now a delicate china bowl filled with bits of meat replacing it. The Lord showed her how to offer the kitten food, and got his finger nipped for his effort, she wanted to grab and hug the kitten close, protect it. But he roared with laughter, "Well I thought she reminded me of you. But at least you do not bite me."

Mina smiled shyly and held the bowl while the kitten gorged. Finishing with a few licks of it's rough pink tongue, then a hiccuping burp before it curled in a ball on her lap and started snoring. Tiny body, warm silky fur, a rounded belly.. she was enchanted with the creature already.

And the Lord was enchanted watching the play of emotion over the pale face, yes the kitten was a good choice of a gift. It would distract her from the enforced boredom of her recovery. Even Jenyse would approve of it he felt. It never even occurred to him that he cared about the concubine's wishes.

12