What's Love Got to Do with It?

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"All women seem to believe they have that gift. Okay, what is it that you see?"

"I see an amazing man that somehow thinks he's not worthy of love. I believe that someone did something that made you believe love is just an empty platitude. I also think the original agreement you had with Gail allowed you both to coexist without commitment or love. It gave you a safe zone and now she wants more. She needs your love."

"I think that's just a bunch of psychobabble."

"Oh yeah? Then answer me this. Can you name just one person you love... just one?"

"If I could, there would be only one."

"If you care, go tell her you will fight for her. Don't be such a coward. That's all any woman wants, that and your enduring passion."

I didn't buy into her hypothesis, but we talked for hours. Somewhere during our discussion we both finally drifted off to sleep.

I woke with her hand squeezing my morning wood. She was smiling at me and said, "If you want to, you can."

I peeled her fingers from me and said, "I'm not ready for that, but when I am, you're at the top of the list."

She hopped up out of bed and seductively squeezed her tits together and said, "Last chance, sailor."

I threw a pillow at her.

After we dressed, I took her to IHOP for breakfast. When I dropped her off at her house, she wanted to keep up the charade with her husband, so I played along. When she knew he was watching, she instructed me to walk her to the door. I kissed her passionately as planned... except I wasn't acting.

-oOo-

I waited to call Gail, but each time I punched in her number, I couldn't push send. After doing this several times, I finally put through the call. Then I prayed she wouldn't pick up.

"Hi, Kevin. I expected you to call earlier."

"Hello, Gail. I... I called to ask if I could pick up my things," but I quickly added, "If this is a bad time I can come another time."

"Of course you can over, Kevin, and you can come over now if you want. I feel bad that I hurt you. You sound awful."

"Actually, I'm doing great!" I lied. "Gail, can we talk? This is all confusing to me."

"Yes, of course we can talk, but we are not going back to what we had. I want to be clear about that."

"Okay, I'll see you soon."

I was ready to knock on the door when she opened it. I bent to kiss her but she turned her head, so my lips found her cheek. I thought, not a good start.

The first thing I noticed was that my suitcases were packed and sitting inside the door.

"Would you like me to fix you something?"

"No thank you. I just ate breakfast... Thanks for packing my bags. I guess you couldn't wait for me to vacate the premises?"

"Kevin, it is not like you to be so sarcastic. I hurt too, you know."

"Gail, if you hurt and I hurt, then why? You're the best thing that ever happened to me. Except for when you're on your period, we never missed a day. I can't even recall a single fight. We were always able to work out anything. Why not now?"

"Kevin, there is more to a relationship than sex, and yes, we are congenial with one another, but I want so much more than that."

"I am not rich, but I am respected in my field and make well over two hundred thousand a year. I have never raised a hand to you and never look at other women. I even let you beat me at Scrabble... now and then. What else can you possibly want?"

"What makes me sad, Kevin, is that even now you can't see it. If you figure it out, maybe we might have a chance... but don't take too long. Oh my, look at the time. I've gotta clean up. I'm going out for dinner tonight."

"What the fuck! Our bed is still warm and you're already dating? Who the hell is it?"

"First of all, it is none of your fucking business who it is. You don't own me. Second is that it is not 'our' bed. It is my bed, and whomever I decide I want to share it with."

"Well, it can't get any clearer than that. Have a good life. Good bye..." I picked up my suitcases and moved towards the door.

"Wait, Kevin. I didn't mean that... don't leave." I kicked the door shut in anger. My first act of anger ever between us and I guess my last.

I drove aimlessly around, not paying much attention. My cell started ringing. It was Gail. I didn't answer.

"Fuck her! Fuck the bitch!" I thought.

I resigned myself to never seeing her again. My cell continued to ring. I shut my phone off. If anything, I'm pragmatic. I started planning my exit strategy. I knew I couldn't continue to stay at the Holiday Inn, so I stopped at a liquor store and picked up a real estate brochure. I drove to the beach and sat at a picnic table, looking through the adds. I was weighing the pros and cons of buying versus renting when an add for a luxury condo caught my eye. It seemed reasonable at only six hundred fifty thousand. Three bedrooms, two baths, overlooking the harbor, plus they had an open house for the models this weekend.

-oOo-

It was easy to find the homes with the signs and little flags marking the way. The sales lady was an older woman with bleached blond hair and obviously fake boobs, but she answered every question I asked. I really liked the layout and the location was perfect. It would take virtually all my savings my folks willed me, but I knew money talks. I offered her a cash sale and they agreed to sell me the furnished and decorated model for no additional cost.

I signed the papers and was now the proud owner of a beach home with a view. I'm not usually an impulsive buyer, but I knew a good deal when I saw one. At the pace of equity gain for beach property, I knew I'd double my money back in a few years. I wanted to tell someone, but the only one I wanted to tell was Gail and I couldn't.

After they vacated the sales items and signs, I hauled in my suitcases. It had an eighty-inch 4K television, but the cable and internet needed to be turned on. Also, I needed to fill up the refrigerator. A call to Verizon and a trip to Costco seemed all I needed to solve life's problems.

After I paid off the hotel, I couldn't resist swinging by Gail's place. I parked across the street and saw a strange car parked in the driveway. It was a Chrysler 300 painted a deep burgundy. I waited for I don't know what. Was I becoming a stalker?

After about a half hour, the door opened and Gail stepped out. She was followed by a dignified looking man with grey hair. He had to be at least twenty years older. After he opened her car door, he helped her in. I was fuming mad and followed them to our favorite Italian restaurant. Our restaurant! How could she?! I peeled out in my Mustang, almost losing it. Why was she doing this to me? As I sped down the coast highway, I thought just one twist of the wrist and my pain would be over. If I couldn't live with her, could I live without her?

I parked in Malibu and watched the moonlight reflect over the ocean as I recalled our life together. From the first time I laid eyes on her, I knew she was mine. I thought there was no way I'd let that old man touch her. I started the ignition and threw it in gear. The gravel kicked up as I sped off. I drove a race to win my prize. I prayed a little prayer I wasn't too late.

The Chrysler was parked in the driveway as I screeched to a stop. I rushed to the front door and hammered on it like a crazy man. Gail opened it wearing a robe.

"Kevin! What are you doing?"

"The question is better asked to you. What the hell are you doing?"

"I'm making a fresh pot of coffee. Would you like some?"

I pushed my way past her, then I was stopped dead in my tracks. Sitting in my recliner was a man old enough to be her father. He was shirtless but extremely fit with a hairy chest. His feet were casually propped up on the coffee table. I thought, what the fuck?

"Frank, this is Kevin."

"Hey, sweetheart, pour me another cup, will you hun?" he asked.

"Did I just walk into the twilight zone? This can't be real."

Suddenly, it was like a dam burst. I couldn't contain myself any longer. I didn't have a coherent thought left in my head. Words just poured from my mouth like I had Tourette's Syndrome.

"Look, asshole, I don't know who the fuck you are but this is the woman I love and want to spend my life with. I love her more than air and if you hurt her you have to deal with me. She's mine and mine alone. This is the woman I'm going to marry and have babies with. What the hell do you want from her?"

Gail started laughing hysterically and Frank said, "Calm down, fella. All I want from her is another cup of coffee... with two sugars and... a splash of cream."

With tears of laughter running down her face, Gail said, "Kevin, this is Frank... my Uncle Frank. He's staying with me for two days while his house is fumigated... Kevin, that was hilarious."

I was mortified and turned to leave, but Gail grabbed me and said, "Did you mean that? All that you said?"

"Yeah, every word, but I didn't intend for it to come out that way."

"Why didn't you tell me that before? This is all I ever wanted from you, Kevin. I love you too. But you'd have known that, if you'd bothered to listen to your voice-mail."

She took the extra house key from the entry table and handed it to me, saying, "Welcome home."

I threw the key back on the table and said, "Keep it. This will never be my home again."

Gail turned pale and said, "But... but... you said..."

Turning the tables on her, I said, "I want you to go pack an overnight bag quickly. We'll come back tomorrow for the rest. I've got a big surprise for you... And Frank, pour your own damn cup of coffee... with two sugars and splash of cream. Your niece has a wedding to plan for."

The end... or beginning.

12