All Comments on 'Who Cares What I Wear?'

by PennLady

Sort by:
  • 27 Comments
annanovaannanovaover 13 years ago
Beautiful

As always, your work paints such a lovely picture of people and situations that feel real. Thank you.

donaldedonaldeover 13 years ago
what lovely story

So emotional sad and happy at the same time it was nicely written with a lot of heart i really did enjoy it and thank you for posting it

estragonestragonover 13 years ago
Brilliant, Glows Like a Fire

and shines like a star, as the old song says. I really care about those characters. I was saying out loud what a fool Ben was to pass on a woman as wonderful as Emily, when his death hit like a punch to the chest. This was great! 5 easily. Keep on--more more more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
You Must

have lived this story, or, at least, gone through it with someone very dear to you. You are very right: you don't give them up, but you learn to give up the ache.

LoveBird1929LoveBird1929over 13 years ago
Poignant

Wow, that's all I have to say really. Thanks for sharing.

MoogPlayerMoogPlayerover 13 years ago
Outstading!

Way to go, girl. You've really out done yourself this time. I have to say that this is the start of your finest work yet.

MP

willieonewillieoneover 13 years ago
Can't find the words!

Only word I can come up with is beautiful.

StarofAirdrieStarofAirdrieover 13 years ago
Outstanding

This was beyond beautiful. Touching and wonderful, beautiful written as always. I can't say enough good things about it. I'd recommend it to my bereavement patients at the appropriate time.

You are truly, truly talented, and the more you spread your wings, the higher you fly.

Phenomenal.

Phxray54Phxray54over 13 years ago
Three years...

give grief three years any more than that, then seek help.

No icing, no hard body checks... just a beautiful story of the heartache of love. Many thanks for sharing your efforts.

AlectraAlectraabout 13 years ago
Tears

Im laying in bed my husband next to me and I am in tears reading this at 1 in the morning. I'm going to lean over and kiss him while he sleeps and let him know how much I love and admire him.

You have an amazing gift with words. Thank you for writing them and showing us what we have laying next to us. Amazing Penn just amazing.

sprezzaturasprezzaturaabout 13 years ago
So sad.

Man, why'd you have to do that? The glimmer of hope at the end tied it together well without being cliche. Em's lucky to have a friend who went through the same grief process. I liked the letters she wrote to him, and of course at the time I thought they were because he'd up and dumped her/walked out. Way to throw *that* at us, sheesh! Good job. Now no more tearjerkers! ;-)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Great

I really really love love love my husband! I still have a huge crush on him I could never imagine not being with him. I have to say though I have this irrational anger towards him when I read or watch stories like this. I remember when I watched PS I love you for the first time I called him and yelled at him that he was never aloud to get a brain tumor. I feel the same way after reading this I want to yell at him right not that he is not aloud to go to the store for beer. I could never imagine going to through anything like Emily has I pray that I never do.

PS I can't even read the loving wife catagory because of my infatuation for my hubby lol Great Job your amazing

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Great Story

Real suspense with Ben, and great story.

LadyFalconLadyFalconabout 13 years ago
Arrgh...

You made me cry! Dang it! But, sometimes its good to cry when you aren't expecting it. Thank you. You did a fantastic job. Got the grief down perfectly. It's been less than a year since I lost a mentor of mine and I am still in the composing messages to him stage....only mine are texts and they turn into prayers.

ReadsalotReadsalotabout 13 years ago
Neil is absolutely right...

It never goes away completely. It's been over 30 years now, and some hurt remains. But a lot of pleasant memories and laughter remain as well. I do wish we'd had the chance to experience our lives together. But I've had a good life, and I think she is smiling somewhere.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
needed a snuggle

Every time I read this story it makes me wanna cry. Had to hunt down my boyfriend for some serious snuggling this time round. In saying that it is such a beautiful story. Well done!

JezzahbehlJezzahbehlover 12 years ago
Making me cry like a baby... how dare you?!

The entire time I was reading the story I was confused as to why Ben would leave her and then as soon as they said he was dead I broke down in tears. Amazing story like always. Hope to see some new stuff.

twstdmindtwstdmindover 12 years ago
Tears, anger, longing

You're a great writer. You wove this story so well. The first half I was all "Ben's such a jerk!" but I also fell in love with him in the flashbacks so those contradictory emotions were just not fun. And then when we find out he dies..I couldn't stop the tears. Why is it more often than not that someone who has so much to give to the world is the one who is taken away? This truly touched my heart.

Sidney43Sidney43over 12 years ago
Amazing

I read this story a few days ago and made no comment. Just now I went back and re-read it and then reviewed all the comments. Seems like almost everyone got the same emotional reaction as I did, when it was revealed that Ben had not left her of his choice, but has been killed in an auto accident. You did a wonderful job of making us feel the emotion, the sense of abandonment, the anger at the unfairness of it all. The ending was good, you didn't hit us over the head with a possible relationship, although that is possible, just that a corner has been turned and life will go on.

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
NEW YEAR NEW SEASON

springs coming time for a re-birth. TK U MLJ LV NV

ThucydidesThucydidesover 11 years ago

Great story. How about Neil and Emily get together now? I was waiting for the midnight kiss.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

I appreciate your sensitivity.

Sammael BardSammael Bardabout 9 years ago
A ***** read....

Great premise, and the emotions are aptly described. I think you lagged a bit while writing the conversation in the beginning, but the rest were great. The letters, the suspense with what happened with Ben, the conversations with Neil...they're all very well written.

Loved this sad little tale. Thanks for sharing. =)

Bard.

WilCox49WilCox49almost 6 years ago
Beautifully done, start to finish

And I don't have any more to say. Thank you!

anonymousinblueanonymousinblueover 5 years ago
why

You really executed and simultaneously built the character of Ben thoroughly before finally revealing he'd died. It's his fault anyway, it always is, even when it isn't. I don't find narrator omission amusing generally, and this is no exception. And then, nothing to adequately explain the circumstances. I guess it's as well, since the story wasn't about him...even though he dominates the story subject matter. I think the anger that dominates sours the story irredeemably.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
English?

Loved it, restrained and full of emotion, just the ticket for New Years eve. I have to wonder, are you English?

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I love your stories. But i always feel like they are incomplete. Things left hanging out

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userPennLady@PennLady
1733 Followers
7/5/21: My story "Altering the Plans" has started posting. Content warning: this story features a main character who leaves an abusive relationship, and whose ex engages in harassment post breakup. I would characterize it, in terms of storytelling, as "mild", although I realiz...