Without You I Have Nothing Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

His lecherous laugh told Peter what he had in mind. "No beer in the fridge - that's something you'll have to remedy if Ted and I are to come again - but there's enough food in the freezer for a buffet for hundreds. Large bed," he bounced up and down on it before adding with a leer, "soft too. Clothes are in the cupboards including two sets of pajamas. You've thought of everything."

The as an afterthough, grinning he added, "Bet I know something you've forgotten." He dived into the bathroom, "My God, there are 6 toothbrushes. Do you intend entertaining a bloody harem?"

Typically, Bob equated everything with sex. He wouldn't understand even if Peter bothered to explain the toothbrushes had been a pack left as a gift by one of Peter's commercial traveler customers but before Peter could explain Bob was off again. "Come on, you two. Leave those books. I'm starving"

The lunch hour stretched out to two hours but Ted wouldn't allow Peter to leave, "Your foreman is earning his wage. Work will wait. Relax. Enjoy yourself."

He and Bob were prepared to linger but Peter was obviously nervous. Eventually, they made their way to the workshop and Bob left, allowing them to continue with the books.

"Now, the next thing for today. You're about to call a meeting of all your workers. You're paying far too much tax and losing too much money on recalls. The workers should've done fiddly little things and left them so the owners complained.

"No matter how hard you try, you can't inspect every job as it is completed. The men have to do better." Ted stared at Peter across the table and smiled when he saw Peter nodding his approval.

"The cure? Make each worker a 'job finished' inspector. You're coming downstairs now to tell the workers they have a 25% share of net profits from today."

"You're mad," was Peter's quick retort.

"No I'm just a 'hard headed bean counter' who, with Bob, is your best friend. While you're recovering from that, you're about to finalize the purchase of the motel the other side of the BMW dealership next door.

"You've so much money lying in the bank from this business that's doing nothing soon the taxman will be asking questions. You're about to spread your wings and fly." Noticing Peter's look, he added, "Don't you trust me?"

"Oh, I trust you, but all this is a shock. I know that I should stop my complaining." Peter knew Ted's ideas were sound and he had been thinking along those lines himself. Ted had merely voiced what Peter had been considering.

"I suggest you ring Joe and tell him to shut the shop and tell the workers there is an urgent meeting for everyone in the lunch room.

"We'll both meet with the workers if you wish, so tell him I'll be at the meeting. Perhaps he can get the room a bit decent," they laughed and Peter rang the workshop.

The workers had innumerable questions, which Ted answered, showing them how much they benefited from a rise in productivity and explaining how each, even the apprentices, would benefit according to their seniority.

Peter could only smile as he and Ted made their way upstairs and left the meeting in charge of Joe.

As the two friends made their way up the stairs, they could hear Joe's words to the workers. "This is our business now so no lagging off and no returns because the job wasn't done well in the first place. We're all partners so we all work hard to make a huge profit."

"Ted, I have a renewal of the truck contract here. I need your advice. It's with that transport business based in Bathurst. We have to collect their new prime-movers from the factory, spray them in company colors and deliver them to Bathurst."

Silently Ted studied the papers before sighing. "There's a lot of work here and it's spread over a considerable time. Will you be able to handle it?"

"It'll mean a lot of driving to Bathurst but I thought I'd drive up on Friday nights after work when necessary and fly or train back on the Saturday morning. It'll be tough for a while but then it would even itself out."

The prospect of all the extra work did not worry Peter.

"You're taking on a lot." Handing the papers back he smacked the table as though he had suddenly made up his mind, "You're going to have a secretary, someone who knows book-keeping and will order you about."

Peter tried to interrupt but ignoring him Ted continued, "I have the right person in mind. One of my staff has retired and would love a couple of day's work a week and besides this secretary will take no nonsense from Bob."

Knowing Bob as well as Ted did, Peter laughed. He could see Bob drooling all over the poor girl, pawing her legs or her shoulders - whatever he could touch and sneaking looks down the front of her dresses and blouses.

"Mark will be here first thing tomorrow," Ted's laughter became a hoot as Peter sank into the chair in surprise.

"I must tell Bob you've a new secretary tonight. By the time I've described her, he'll be panting at the door come sunrise." Wiping the tears from his eyes, he asked, "Will we see you Friday?"

"No. The first truck for the new contract arrives tomorrow and I'll be rather busy." There was no point in telling Ted of his plans for the weekend.

"Well, for God's sake, be careful when you drive those trucks to Bathurst. You'll have been working all day. No accidents or I'll strangle you."

Laughing he added, "I don't relish having that 'cream puff', Bob, all to myself."

"Cream puff?"

"Don't tell me you've not seen through his act about women? He's as scared of them as you are. He's all hot air. If one of them accepted his outrageous suggestions he'd run a mile," Ted grinned at Peter's surprise. "Now take care. There's more than Bob and I who have an interest in you."

Peter believed he was talking of the workers but there was no need to tell Ted he would be careful.

Mark became the secretary and Bob arrived as expected, ready to impress and left crestfallen, mumbling that he would get his own back on Ted.

The workshop ran perfectly and the place seemed abuzz with a new enthusiasm and attention to detail.

Eventually, Wednesday morning arrived - with a clear blue sky and perfect sunshine. Peter arrived early in the street outside Jennifer's unit and continually gazed at his watch willing the time to pass so he could knock on her door.

"Come in, the door's open. I wondered how long you'd wait in the car." Jennifer's green eyes twinkled as she admitted that she'd been watching.

"You little minx," Peter hoisted her into his embrace and chastely kissed her hair before letting her back down.

Hand-in-hand they left and Peter tossed her the car keys. "I have this as a test drive so hammer it as much as you like and we'll return it to the dealer when we've finished kicking tires."

Jennifer didn't demur but swung behind the steering wheel and laughing drove off into the traffic at a furious rate.

"Steady on. There are speed cameras everywhere. Don't get booked," were Peter's only wry comment.

Not bothering to reply, Jennifer played a symphony on the gearlever keeping the engine humming and using the car's capabilities well.

Taking no notice of where she was taking him, Peter just sat there enjoying her perfume and her close proximity. The spell was broken when she parked the car and turned to stare at him. "Peter, I don't think we really need to go kicking tires. Can we return this to the dealer and help me negotiate a good deal?"

Leaning across to hug her, Peter kissed her deeply, his tongue sliding through her shocked lips to battle her sweetness. They parted to gather their breath and he got out of the car without saying a word. He opened the driver's door and stood so close to her it was as if they shared one body. His arms held her and his lips again claimed her, "Jennifer, Jennifer," and his lips sank into her hair as he quietly whispered, "I love you so."

Peter drove the car to the dealer beside his workshop and parked it carefully, battling off the sales staff until he led Jennifer into the Manager's Office.

"Hey, Jack, I believe you're retiring in a few days so today you've a chance to make a big impression. This young lady, Jennifer Blake, is somewhat interested in purchasing one of your cars but, why, I would never know. I'm sure the Japanese make better cars than the Germans."

Peter's laugh and Jack's answer made Jennifer realize they were the best of friends.

"Jennifer? May I call you Jennifer? How did you get involved with a ruffian like this? My God, be careful of him. He can be really wicked."

Jack's smile told Jennifer how much he admired Peter.

"Let's leave him here while we study the various cars and I can take you for a test drive."

Taking Jennifer by the arm, he began to lead her out the door only to find Peter blocking the doorway.

"What? Do you think I'm stupid - allowing you to show Jennifer anything and to take her for a test drive? I'm neither senile nor stupid. My mother warned me about new car salesmen."

Laughing, the three of them went out to 'kick tires'.

"Here's an excellent little unit." Jack started his spiel.

"Jennifer's a rev head. You should see how she handled the demo you lent me. Now, Jennifer, what would you like to see?" Peter was going to be in control.

"I like the look of that little green model. I like the color."

"Wait until I get some plates and we can take it for a drive," Jack was about to move off.

"Oh, no, you don't, Jack. You're trying to pass off hard-to-shift models to my innocent young friend here. Take us to the specialist showroom and let's look there."

Jack shrugged and asked Jennifer, "How much do you want to spend?"

Before Jennifer could answer Peter laughed, "As little as possible."

The three walked into the rear of the showroom where the absolute top of the tree stood - a Mini Cooper S, leather upholstery, climate control, high fidelity sound - every option possible and again British racing green.

Peter was quiet while Jack went though his story and showed Jennifer all the bits and pieces. The bonnet went up and Jennifer showed surprising knowledge of the engine parts. Under the lights and on the red-carpeted floor it was both immaculate and desirable and Peter, watching Jennifer carefully, knew she was smitten.

"Peter, I love it, but sadly I can't afford it. It's a dream." Her voice tapered off wistfully.

Peter led her out of the showroom. "How much do you want to spend, sweetheart?" The word slipped out and Jennifer gazed at him for some time before finding her voice.

"$30,000 maximum insured and registered and that is a long way from the price of that car."

"Oh, you haven't done much tire kicking, have you? Come on, let's twist Jack's arm. This'll be fun. Let me do the bargaining, please, Jennifer."

Over coffee, the bargaining began. It was obvious to Jennifer that Jack wouldn't drop the price of the car enough for her to purchase it until Peter demanded he speak to the Head Office.

"Back soon. Don't run away. We don't want to buy the business but Jack expects us to pay top dollar for a car they've not been able to move," were Peter's words as he dragged Jack off.

Jennifer could see the two men arguing, then Peter making a phone call before handing the phone to Jack.

It was obvious Jack was startled and turned to Peter incredulously. Without speaking, he handed the phone to Peter who spoke some rapid words into the phone and Jennifer could tell he was no longer bargaining but ordering someone to do something. He handed the phone back to Jack who was visibly dazed but he shook Peter's hand before the two returned to Jennifer.

"Jennifer, I'm retiring and I've had a long life in car sales. Never has anyone bargained as hard as Peter and just as well, else the company would go bankrupt. The car is yours - insured, registered and on the road - all taxes paid for $25,990."

"Got that wrong, Jack, $25,000. Forget the pre-delivery charges. We'll do it free for this young lady."

Jennifer hurled herself into Peter's arms and kissed him repeatedly until Jack coughed, commenting, "I wish all my clients over the years were as grateful. If I can be bold enough to interrupt, could I have some signatures on the papers and what special number plates would you like?"

Peter suggested, "'JEN 808' but tell me what you would like."

Slowly Jennifer released Peter and sat back in her seat unable to comprehend how quickly the sale had ended. The question was posed again as Jennifer signed the papers. "Did Peter suggest that? Then I would love that number plate. Can I take the car now?" was her question as she signed the check and completed all the paperwork.

Jack laughed, "No! It won't be ready until the close of business on Friday. You can pick it up from Peter's workshop at say 5 Friday afternoon. However please, don't ever bring Peter back here kicking tires with you."

Jennifer was walking on air and didn't notice Jack give Peter a hug, saying, "Peter, you're most generous. Look after that young lady and I hope you invite the wife and me to your wedding."

Peter's reply went unheeded, "That was a little thank you for helping me in the sale. You've been a good manager over the years. Yes, you both will be there if, and when, I get married."

Jack gave Jennifer a hug, "Don't forget to be at Peter's five o'clock Friday else he will probably sell it on you. Look after this great bear. He's a good man, a better man than anyone I know."

They took their leave and wandered next door into the workshop to meet the staff. Joe was particularly suave, breaking into Italian and bowing low to kiss Jennifer's hand. Suddenly he threw his head back allowing his magnificent tenor voice to resound off the ceiling of the workshop. 'Non piu andrai' by Mozart killed the hammering of cars being repaired.

Jennifer was surprised and embarrassed.

Laughing Peter explained, "It means 'Now my days of philandering are over'... Joe is trying to marry me off. Are you free sometime soon?"

The answer was a punch in the arm and Jennifer's smile, "Just behave."

12