Without You I Have Nothing Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Mum, this is Peter."

Elizabeth was amused. "You're not going to let him out of your sight again, eh, Jennifer? You can let him go. If he runs, I'll send your brother and the dogs to round him up."

With a touch of amused respect, Peter waited while Jennifer dropped his hand. She'd been clinging to it tightly throughout the entire journey.

"He's not going to run away." Elizabeth could see that Peter was not only embarrassed but also intimidated by her.

Ignoring her proffered hand, Peter bent to kiss Elizabeth lightly on the cheek.

"Steady on," Eric chuckled, "First you beguile my daughter and now my wife."

He swept them into the house, ordering them ahead while Elizabeth questioned them about the trip and the Sydney weather. No one mentioned the accident.

The entrance, indeed the whole house called welcome and Peter immediately felt at home.

"Where's Andrew? Hasn't he returned yet?" Eric wanted his whole family to greet Peter.

A roar from deeper inside the house answered his question. "Where's that bloke who's worried my sister?"

Andrew thundered down the wide, thickly carpeted hallway into the richly tiled entrance foyer and Peter recoiled, still not strong enough to deal with the energy and enthusiasm of Jennifer's brother. He gripped Peter's hand with a strength that Peter vainly tried to return.

"I'm pleased you've arrived." He ignored Peter's surprise. "Now you're here, perhaps Sis can stop moping about the place and even smile occasionally."

"Ssh." Elizabeth interrupted. "Go and wash up.

"Jennifer, show Peter where his room is."

"No," Andrew objected. "Definitely not. Jennifer you stay here. If you go with Peter, you might never get back. I saw the two of you in Sydney."

"Andrew, stop teasing your sister. The older you get the worse you get. Peter, take no notice of him. Now, all of you go and clean up." Elizabeth was mothering them all as she gave them their orders.

"Come on Peter, I'll show you your room. The petticoat government around here is murderous. We'd better disappear while we can."

Andrew led the way, down long wide corridors and up a wide oak stairway into, finally, a bedroom where the gigantic high ceiling accentuated the luxury of the room with its huge bay windows. The four-poster double bed was just the final touch to the richly paneled room.

"You're honored. Mum is really out to impress you," he remarked as he tossed Peter's bags onto the bed. "You've time to freshen up. The bathroom is through that door."

Five minutes later, he was back.

"Come on. Mum will be furious if we're late." He laughed. "Well, she likes to believe she's the boss and we do everything to keep her happy. She's gone to great lengths to please you and she's worried that her cooking won't be as good as what you're accustomed to."

"What, steak and eggs?" Vainly, Peter tried to explain how basic was his day-to-day cooking, but obviously Andrew didn't believe him.

He watched the family carefully and bowed his head while Eric said grace. Peter added a silent prayer of thanks to his God for bringing him safely to this sanctuary.

The moment the family sat, Elizabeth uncovered the steaming soup tureens and Eric served. "I hope you like our plain food." Elizabeth began fussing over Peter but Eric winked at him, cutting her short.

"Leave the boy alone, Mother. Can't you see he's hungry? Besides, by his leanness, I guess it's a long time since anyone cooked for him."

Jennifer defended herself. "Hey I have been cooking for him since he left hospital and he hasn't stopped eating."

Ignoring her complaint and Andrew's hearty laugh, her father continued. "I know bachelors. Andrew and I almost starved the last time Elizabeth went away for a couple of days."

Peter was the honored guest. A pure white, fine damask cloth covered the rich mahogany table and the silverware was exquisitely delicate. Fine crystal glasses were at every place and he silently blessed Jennifer for her patient teaching of how to handle wine.

This was one time Peter didn't want to appear gauche.

As soon as Peter emptied the plate of food before him, another, equally heavily laden, took its place until he had to beg for mercy.

"The meal is delicious, but I have to stop before I burst. I just can't do it justice."

Dinner ended.

"Jennifer, give me a hand to clear up." Elizabeth was once more in control.

Peter couldn't remember having eaten so well. He could hardly move, and longed to lie down.

However, Elizabeth still wouldn't let the men rest. "You men go into the lounge room and make yourselves comfortable. We won't be long."

"I'll give a hand." Peter wasn't prepared to be alone with Jennifer's men folk. He wanted to be near her for protection.

"You'll do nothing of the sort!" Jennifer gave him a push as he stood. "You're resting remember? Besides, Mum and I want some peace so we can talk."

"Come on, Peter." Andrew led the way. "We know when we're not wanted."

The lounge room was a huge room and just as richly furnished as the dining room.

"Sit down and make yourself comfortable," Andrew said, indicating a comfortable settee.

Eric did his best to make Peter feel part of the family as he and Andrew sat back in their favorite chairs, close to the beautifully ornate fireplace of marble and sandstone. Gratefully, Peter sank into the heavily brocaded settee and stretched out his legs.

As an after-thought, Andrew dragged a heavily carved rocking chair close to their chairs and the family circle was almost complete. He and his father leant back, eyes closed in a shared silence. They were enjoying the pleasure that came from such a meal.

Thinking they were uncomfortable with him in the room, Peter stood to go out and join Jennifer.

Eric opened his eyes, his look as soft as his words. "Sit down, lad, sit down. We won't eat you, or didn't you notice how well fed we are?"

His whole face beamed with a smile that crinkled around his lips and eyes.

"We're all delighted that you're here. We're so much in your debt. Even Andrew is delighted, though he realizes his sister may disappear with you any time."

Desperately trying to change the topic, Peter admired the room. "This is a beautiful room. I know anything about furnishings and furniture, but it really is so elegant. It's as though we of the present have stepped into a most graceful past."

"Well, yes I suppose so." Eric looked about. "Elizabeth has taste and I know I indulge her. We'll get her to play for us when she arrives."

He waved in the direction of the grand piano standing in an alcove near the bay windows. "Perhaps she'll indulge us."

Giggling like teenagers, Jennifer and her mother swept into the room.

They were so alike. Elizabeth was a more mature Jennifer, fuller of figure and slightly shorter, but her eyes were also green. Their hair, so different in color, had the same waves. Their eyebrows had a similar softness, tilting up slightly at the ends and emphasizing their high, aristocratic cheekbones.

Elizabeth sat in the rocking chair while Jennifer flopped beside Peter. She gently lifted his arm around her and leant against him. With her hair against his cheek and her soft hand in his, Peter sneaked a kiss.

The family noticed his action.

"Cut that out! Stop it! Will you stop attacking my sister?" A rumble of mirth from Andrew heightened Peter's confusion. "Hey, Dad, protect your daughter. Make her sit over here!"

Smiling broadly, Andrew threw a cushion on the carpet at his father's feet.

"Stop teasing your sister." Elizabeth came to their defense. Obviously pleased by the interaction of her twins, her face glowed with happiness. "Leave your sister alone for once."

"But I'm only protecting her from this Sydney ruffian." Sounding hurt and very serious, Andrew added, "The first time I met him he was rolling around the floor with Sis. God only knows what he was trying to do with her."

Flying out of Peter's arms, Jennifer began battering her brother with a cushion.

"You're a brute. You haven't changed one bit."

Trying to grab her, Andrew retaliated, but as he rose to the attack, Jennifer shrieked and fled back to the protection of Peter's arms. With her arms around Peter, she buried her head in his lap like a little girl, believing she was safe.

"Can we have some music, Elizabeth? Perhaps it might calm these savages." Eric's laugh told us he was enjoying his children's game.

"I'm just too lazy to play tonight. Besides, I want to talk, so it will have to be background music." Elizabeth was queen in this house and they were all her minions. "You're the guest Peter, what would you like?"

Peter was speechless, wondering how to reply. He didn't know their taste in music and if they were like Ted and Bob his choice would just make them all groan.

Tentatively he began. "Well," he paused.

"You might be surprised at the range of our music, Peter." Elizabeth's tender look of acceptance gave Peter the confidence to continue.

"Well, if you have Mozart's aria, Non piu andrai..."

He stopped.

Andrew hissed through a groan, "Oh, my God. Not another one. Mum has a friend."

"Oh, good." Elizabeth swept to the far wall, which Peter believed was rich paneling of polished Australian Silky Oak. Part of the wall swung open to reveal extensive audio equipment.

"Elizabeth loves her music." Eric explained, and his eyes shone with adoration. "You've made a friend."

As Elizabeth walked to the equipment and bent to adjust the machine, again Peter marveled at the similarity between mother and daughter. Not only had Jennifer inherited her mother's striking features, highlighted by her auburn hair, but also she had the same graceful walk.

The opening bars sounded. As Peter listened to the familiar music, it reached deep into his soul and he began to stroke Jennifer's hair lightly, bending close to sing softly in her ear. "Now my days of philandering are over..." he began. As the music continued, he moved into Italian.

Jennifer sat up and softly kissed him. His mood, affected by Mozart's music, had affected her too.

A soft cough brought them back to the present. Elizabeth was watching them closely. "I knew music appealed but..." The quiet tinkle of her laughter told Peter of her feelings for her daughter.

"There, I told you she was misbehaving." Andrew tried to imply even more.

Jennifer curled her body into Peter's lap like a kitten.

"Your voice is well trained and your Italian is impeccable. We must talk later as you must have such a lot to tell us," remarked Elizabeth. She had overheard Peter's soft singing to Jennifer and with a change of heart led him to the piano. "I'm sure Jennifer can spare you for a few moments."

Her fingers lightly danced across the keys, bringing Chopin into the room. She patted the piano stool, insisting that Peter sit beside her. "Jennifer told me you have two favorite hymns. I'll sing the soprano and you assist me by singing baritone."

Peter glanced at Jennifer as if begging her to save him, but she just grinned at his beseeching look.

The opening bars of Cwm Rhondda rippled off the piano and Peter opened his chest and started, "Guide me, Oh Thou Great Jehovah," with Elizabeth's voice soaring above his. When the piano accompaniment ceased, Peter was away, deep in his mind. Ignoring the silence, he continued in Welsh.

The sound of polite clapping brought him back to reality and Elizabeth put her hands out to him, taking his hands between hers. "Jennifer said you were accomplished, but that really was something special. Thank you."

Peter shrugged, trying to explain, but Jennifer joined him and put her arms around his neck, determined to make her family realize the depth of their affection and demanding they accept Peter.

Looking up at her daughter, Elizabeth gave a secretive smile as she commenced playing a Strauss Waltz. It seemed natural for Peter to stand, to swing Jennifer into his arms and begin swaying to the music. Jennifer's eyes closed and she let her body melt into Peter.

He was floating in ecstasy until a deep voice broke into his thoughts.

"Mind if I cut in?"

Father and daughter began waltzing.

"Help me make the coffee." Andrew ordered Peter into the kitchen.

The evening was ending - an evening such as Peter had never experienced - a family evening of fun, warmth, laughter and love.

12