Work The Problem Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

John took a deep breath and then nodded. "Yes. We now have enough data to know how to scale this thing. We can build a man-sized portal."

"Just man-sized?" asked the SecDef. "Bigger would be better, especially if we have to set up a beachhead on the other side."

Colonel Gossett's brow wrinkled in concern. "Beachhead, sir? I don't think that Ms. Arnbock's people will go to war with us."

The SecDef held up a hand. "I'm speaking hypothetically. And my concern is not with the rabbit-people. This 'other group' that is probing into Ms. Arnbock's world sounds potentially hostile. It would be better to fight them there rather than here."

John tried to get the conversation back on track. "With regards to size, about a two-meter hole is all we can reasonably manage at the moment. And that's with the 'boosting' assistance from this other mysterious group doing their own thing."

"And in the future?" asked the SecState. "How big could we make it?"

John shrugged. "Maybe four or five meters? The energy requirements go up exponentially as the portal area increases."

The President leaned forward. "I want it done. We need to do our own reconnaissance. And to get Ms. Arnbock back home, which will give us a good bit of PR if nothing else."

"Are you sure, sir?" asked the SecDef. "This is going to be an effort that's going to rival the Manhattan Project."

The President just looked levelly at the general, who finally nodded. "We'll get it done, sir." he said to his Commander in Chief. He looked over at Col. Gossett. "I want you to head this. Both of you."

Gossett looked a little freaked out by the notion. "Sir, with respect I'm a Colonel. I don't have the clout to pull together something like that."

The SecDef smiled. "Oh, I think we can work something out. 'Brigadier General Darren Gossett' has a nice ring to it, don't you think?"

Gossett sat back and just blinked. For once his face was shocked.

John spoke up. "Do we really want to do this? It is going to be a lot to assemble. The machine itself is one thing, but powering it is going to require...hell, we might need a dedicated nuclear power plant for it."

The President nodded. "We have lots of space in Nevada for you to play in. Do it. Make your portal, as big as you can make it."

The SecDef sighed. "This is going to give my logistics people headaches. How do we fit all of a modern army's equipment through a two-meter hole?"

"We can start with Rangers and other light infantry," suggested Gossett. "Man-portable weapons can be carried through. Even machine guns and mortars would be a big asset on the other side."

SecState held up her hands. "I know we want to be prepared, but let's make sure we don't go charging through with our whole army right away. We don't want to freak out Ms. Arnbock's people. And besides, this 'other group' might just be very shy. We don't know that they have bad intentions."

­__________________________________________________________

Meanwhile, in a place that was nearby in one sense and yet very far away in another, Jack Harkwell climbed off of his tractor with a satisfied sigh. He scratched the fur behind one of his long ears and surveyed the field he'd just finished plowing. The rainy season was almost here, and he should be ready for it. Harkwell frowned a bit as he regarded the dark thunderheads that were already forming close by. It seemed that afternoon thunderstorms were becoming more common, which was unusual this early in the season.

He shook off his feeling of unease and walked into his barn. His farm was older and the barn still had the stalls for oxen, back when beasts of burden were used for plowing instead of machinery. Now it was used for storage and to house his tractors.

As he walked into the barn, the clouds rolled overhead and it began to spit rain.

Harkwell pushed open the larger door and made ready to head back out and park his tractor. There was a slight crackling noise behind him that made him stop and turn.

Right in the middle of his barn, there was a hole in the air.

It was not a big hole, only about the width of his shoulders. The outer edges of the hole had a glowing, pulsing appearance. Beyond the hole he could only see darkness.

Harkwell only had time for one puzzled look before something made a muted thumping sound in the darkness beyond the hole. He felt a sudden impact in his chest, and he looked down and saw with horror a spreading red stain across his shirt. There was no pain, but suddenly it was very hard to breathe. He collapsed to his knees and looked up in time to see metallic arms slithering out of the impossible hole in his barn.

He barely felt those metal tentacles grip his shoulders, and as his vision finally dimmed he realized he was being drawn headfirst into the portal.

After the lagomorph's feet disappeared into the hole, the portal winked closed and vanished. There was nothing left in the barn but a few scuff marks on the floor.