All Comments on 'A Lifetime of Valentines'

by JoeDreamer

Sort by:
  • 146 Comments
toesmantoesmanabout 17 years ago
Fantastic!

If this is a submission for a Valentine's Day story, & it doesn't win, there is no justice in the voting. This is, without doubt, one of the best stories I've ever read on this site. It brought tears to my eyes. Thanks, Joe, what a fantastic write.

jack_strawjack_strawabout 17 years ago
Tears...

A beautiful story of love through the years. Made my heart ache, and like the other poster said, if this doesn't win the contest, they might as well quit having it. I just have one minor quibble. You never told us who Elli was and how John knew her. You left that little plot twist unresolved. It doesn't detract from the story in any way, but it might have made a great story even better. Great work, author!

Unbridled_PassionUnbridled_Passionabout 17 years ago
touching...

what more can I say that hasn't already been said? Great story!

alexamarkalexamarkabout 17 years ago
Elli?

Was Elli actually Elizabeth come to get her mother and comfort her father?

DesertPirateDesertPirateabout 17 years ago
You know

It's not nice to make a cranky old Sub Sailor shed a tear. You did a fantastic job with this one!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Gave Some Good Memories

It is just over 3 years since I lost my wife of 51 (and buddy for almost 56) and I still feel the warmth of her love. This gave me some good memories. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
utterly touching

well deserving of your prize and much more.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Beautiful

First time I have cried in a while. Thank you for this very touching story....

Alvaron53Alvaron53about 17 years ago
A wonderful treat

Magnificent. Thanks, Joe, for a wonderful tale.

<P>

I like to think Elli is Maddie's spirit. She's come to tell him good-bye but before she goes, she wants to reminisce, to remember their life together and all that they've been to one another.

<P>

I'd give this story more than one hundred if I could.

lilgoollilgoolabout 17 years ago
Nicely told

Wow... beautifully truely romance... loved it!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Terrific

I actually cried it was so good.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Wonderful Story Joe!

I read the other two "winners" and all I can say is you got robbed. This was a wonderful story! Perhaps not as racy as some, but most asuredly worth First Place! Keep it up Joe, and thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
excellent

Loved the story .Keep up the good work

BaiaBaiaabout 17 years ago
Robbed Indeed!!!

I enjoyed your story so much over the other two! Made me cry damn you!

ChocolateConfessorChocolateConfessorabout 17 years ago
Classic!

I won't focus on the fact that I (and plenty of others) feel that you got robbed...I'll just congratulate you on another great story!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Beautiful

what more can be said? Happy Valentines, indeed.

Author, Kudos!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Perfect Story

The best story on this site that I've read. I thought this was at least 40times better than the first and second place ones!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Gorgeous!

Absolutely gorgeous - and I agree with some of the others, this was better than first and second place, although they were very good, too. But this - this was superb! Thank you!

Alvaron53Alvaron53about 17 years ago
Better still

The story is even better the second time around. When I grow up, I want to be a real writer, just like JoeDreamer. ;)

<P>

Thanks again, Joe!

SNS105SNS105about 17 years ago
True Romance

This story was truly beautiful. Romantic, poignant - had me in tears! You should have won. This was the epitome of Valentine's Day romance.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
beautiful and sad

but that's life, i guess. deep love has to be balanced by deep sadness, for you don't, you can't, know deep sadness unless you also know deep love. i never know a deep love like this, so i can't feel the deep sadness, either; but even then i sense the deep sadness, when you have to "let" go of someone who's been your whole life, who's been through thick and thin with you, who cried with you during your darkest hours but who also laughed with you when you finished solved the world's easiest puzzles which have puzzled you for days!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
beautiful story!

this was one of the most touching and romantic stories i have ever read. it was the only romance story that ever left me in tears after reading it. i definitely think that this story should have won the valentine's day contest.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Thank you...

for a superbly crafted story of true love and heartfelt loss. This is one of the best stories I have ever read on this web site.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Nice

A tear jerker....it should have won the competition.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
I don't often leave comments.......but

your work is one that requires it. Thanks for writting a real V-day story.....it was great.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Wow!

Wonderful story. Thought the last nurse to enter would have been asked by John about Elli only for John to hear that "nobody named Elli works hear." Loved the story, great trip into the fifties.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Absolutely Beautiful

The best story i've read on here

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
beautiful but sad

After reading this wonderfully put together story, I can't understand why it didn't make number one in the competition. The winning story seemed to ramble and repeat itself. This story was warm, loving, well written and very emotional. It flowed beautifully. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Beautiful

I didn't think anything could make me cry anymore. Thanks for a wonderful story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
What a sweet love story

Thank you for such a sweet love story...i'm still crying. I knew how it was going to end, but what a beautiful story. I guess I am always going to be a sucker for a love story where people who truly belong together grow old together. You wrote a wonderful story.

RiverCityWriterRiverCityWriterabout 17 years ago
A well-written and very thoughtful piece

You must be someone who has loved another over time, because if you're not, you have a wonderfully vivid imagination. I think you hit so many right notes in this story that the overall tone is sweet with just the right dose of sugar. Not too much sugar, but just enough.

Thank you for a beautiful tale and the reminder that love really doesn't end here on this earth - it continues forever.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Wow

Wow...just, wow. Beautiful story, you had the mascara running down my face.

juanjsojrjuanjsojrabout 17 years ago
wow

man I never saw a story like this since the movie the notebook man this story got to be one of the best and saddest story here this story sounds just like the notebook man way to go writting a story like this I wish there were more stories like this you wrote a great love story

juanjsojrjuanjsojrabout 17 years ago
wow

man I never saw a story like this since the movie the notebook man this story got to be one of the best and saddest story here this story sounds just like the notebook man way to go writting a story like this I wish there were more stories like this you wrote a great love story

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
First Time for Everything

For as long as I have been coming to this website I have never posted a comment nor cried over a story HERE.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
fantastic Story

great love story. great job

thank you

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Great Story

This is the first time I felt the need to vote for a story. I wish more people would understand that it is just not about reading about sex but rather setting up a few meaningful sex parts that relate with the story. This is the best story I have read in over 5 years of reading story's on this site. Job well done and I very much look foward to reading the rest of your work. Thank you for the story kind sir.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Tear jerker.

Ive read this story maybe 4 times over the past few months when im feeling down. I read this and cry like a baby for hours knowing I will never be lucky enough to experience love like that. Great story...

DOC226DOC226over 16 years ago
Better than Shakespeare

This was better than Romeo & Juliet, but without the violence (unless you count Herb's broken nose). Seriously, this is only the second story I have read in the last three years that made me cry; not because it was sad, but because it was so beautifully written. You are indeed a great author.

LizzleLizzleover 16 years ago
Holy tear-jerker!

This was the sweetest story I've read here. It really should have came in first.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
I love her so...

Wow, here I am at 5am crying with tears running down my cheeks and a smile on my face. What a beautiful love story. This should be number one. You have such a way with words. May I say "Thank you?" You have made my day...I think I will go over and kiss my wife while she is still asleep...I love her so.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Coincidence, or not...

This story is well-written; it flows nicely, and the transitional breaks between the "scenes" neatly keep the readers' attention on the story. [The author] attends well to detail, without being verbose. Again - A fine piece of work.

Oh, and I must leave one question for the author... The name "Elizabeth" appears in the story, as well the name "Elli". Is it possible that "Elli" (the nurse) is an incarnation of "Elizabeth" (the deceased daughter)? Or is the similarity of names coincidental?

bochen2bochen2over 15 years ago
One of the most memorable stories I have read

Thank you for your excellent contribution! This is one of the best I have read on Literotica. I only wish I could find the kind of love portrayed in your story. Girls like Maddie too seldom exists in this day and age.. Sadly I'm turning 24 soon and I have never experienced that enchanting and transcendental quality of real unconditional love expressed and embodied in "A Lifetime of Valentines" although I wish for it and daydream about it very often these days.. Great stories have an existential existence of its own and bridges the gap between illusion and reality, fantasy and real life. Characters have a platonic existence of their own accord, so thanks for conjuring this story into being, its very comforting and poignant one to read in this ever darkening and ever mundane world that we and myself live in today. This story helped me see and understand and most importantly realize that its never too late to go after what we REALLY want. Because we just might get it in the end. Not that 'miracles' happen often, but they do happen. And sometimes, once in a thousand blue moons we are so lucky to meet someone who changes our lifes forever.. Where we fall in love and stay in love and stand in love.. Falling in love for the rest of our lives one day at a time, over and over again and again, a moment in a lifetime and a lifetime of valentines.

Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
This is the best love story I've ever read.

Thank you so much! :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Absolutely Beautiful

This was one of the most heartfelt and amazing stories that I have ever read. It made me cry and gave me hope. I know that with illnesses as serious as cancer, spouses do not always stay by someone's side. I am grateful for your details, your widsom, and the conveyance of such powerful love.

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Story of my life?

I'm still young but know a girl just like Maddie and I feel in the same way as John did. Maybe I'll do something about it. If only life was like one of you stories...

I've read lots of stories but none related to me in this way. You've got a way with words and it was an amazing read, proof, this is the first comment I've ever left. Keep on writing and I wish you luck.

Thank you for writing this, it's helped me make an important choice. : )

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Thank you!

A great story! Can't help but cry after reading your story - you see my wife also died of cancer, she was the love of my life. Maddie reminded me of my Evie. Thank you for the beautiful story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Amen brother!

A tru story of love and devotion. Your prose are fantastic. I love you as a storyteller. Please return to this site oftern with new stories.

humminbeanhumminbeanabout 15 years ago
Beautiful

By far the best story I've seen here. My lady of 25 years is still with me, happy and healthy, and this just makes me appreciate her even more.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Wow, great story!

This is absolutely the greatest story I've read on here or anywhere for that matter. Thank you.

veloovelooalmost 15 years ago
Thank You!

This is probably the first comment I am leaving on this site. I just finished reading this story, at 03:50. I was so absorbed. I can't remember when I started, but I am a slow reader, and I do sometimes go back to refer or re-read some passages. I haven't read any of your other stories, but I hope you continue writing.

The nurse was a mystery, which remained unsolved till the end.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
A Perfect Love Story - Thank you

Sometimes I don't think people truly understand the difference between loving someone and "being in love". Your story just explained it. Yours and Maddie is the type of love that I hope and pray for myself and my kids to have one day. Thank you for sharing such and inspirational story. It has been a blessing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
Wow!

This is such an amazing story. Truly a story of a lifetime

BallsOfSteelBallsOfSteelover 14 years ago
Thank you

That was so lovely. No wonder people have idealized visions of the 1950s. Can't imagine such a tale these days.

Privates1stClassPrivates1stClassover 14 years ago
What a great story

As they say, "Love conquers all." Your story is at the same time, tender, romantic, poignant, somewhat sad, yet uplifting. I'm glad you wrote it, and I'm glad I read it. It's a great story. Thanks.

northlandernorthlanderabout 14 years ago
I can feel the tears

Joe, Thanks for a wonderful, human story. As a ex soldier, married for 53 years I can identify with your hero except that I have thad the exceptional good luck to still have my Valentine

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Wow!

I can tell you have had a great love in your life. too!

sailordblj1966sailordblj1966almost 14 years ago
Wonderful Story

This is a wonderful story it brought so many tears to my eyes. I loved the way it is written and made the characters seem so real. In this day and age it is nice to read a really heart felt story.

BlackbeltMageBlackbeltMageover 13 years ago
Now I understand...

Why stereotypical grandfathers in rocking chairs say, "you whippersnappers, you don't know enough about life...", as someone who's not even twenty, here I am, crying my eyes out at 5am, because I wonder if I could ever be lucky enough to find true love like that.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago

I think this is one of the best stories I have read in a long time. It was beautiful and heartbreaking but that's what makes it so wonderful. Everyone should be as lucky to find a love like this.

DivineIntervDivineIntervover 13 years ago
Loved It.

Absolutely Beautiful. The kind of story that moistens your eyes but still makes you glad you read it.

The only thing I dont think I like is you/life being so harsh on Bernie. Thats too much punishment for just being over-protective. Doesn't him sticking with Maddie for so many years without having sex something only a good guy would do? He wouldnt have, if he werent.

It might have helped if his indiscretions were brought to light or if his character was shady or an asshole.

Still, truly loved it. Deserves 5 stars.

Tc,

Div

robinhodrobinhodover 13 years ago
Loved it

and also the comments. The first story I've read here that has no adverse comments, never mind rude slagging off. Very well done. Just two points: I found her being a virgin a bit improbable! Don't bother reminding me that it's set in the 1950s as so was I. Second, I fell in love similarly, and parted similarly. The difference is that I never saw her again, married someone else and, 46 years later am still madly in love with my wife. I think it's safe to say that I got over my old girlfriend - but I sometimes wonder...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago

just loved da story.. No words can ever express what i felt after reading it

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
romantic

one of the best romantic stories iv read on literotica, i cried at the end.

BfreetorunBfreetorunalmost 13 years ago
A beautiful romantic story...

One of the most touching stories I have read.

ambush184ambush184almost 13 years ago
What a wonderfull story

Very nice, and nicely written. Thanks

Wildflower23Wildflower23almost 13 years ago
Wow

Brought tears to my eyes, I loved it. I found I had a special connection to this story, because I have a terminal illness. As I was reading I wondered if someday my husband would be in this situation..

Thank you for the wonderful read.

Firmhands5Firmhands5almost 13 years ago
What a great tear jerker!

Thank you for putting so much into your story - was wonderful!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Beauty

That was honestly one of the sweetest, most beautiful, heart-rending stories I've ever read. I have a sneaking suspicion that some (or all) of it was based in real life, and if not, it's too bad- because although I'm sure it would be heartbreaking and soul-crushing to lose the love of your life that way, having loved someone so completely is a treasure most of us never experience; I hope that I will still be with my first valentine 47 years from now (2 years so far).

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Beautiful

Thank you for writing such a beautiful story . . . it really is a nice reminder of the richness that love can bring to a life. I hope I find my "John" some day.

IjadIjadover 12 years ago
beautiful

You've got me so emotional over it, it was a fantastic story, I couldn't fight back the waterworks at the start and the end, well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
A very beautiful story.

Tomorrow is our anniversary of 34 years to my first and only love of my life. May the Lord help us to enjoy many, many more beautiful years together.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
LOVED IT

:')

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
:)

....I met him the day before Valentines Day, and this story reminds me of how beautiful that day was. Thanks!

imu_peaceimu_peaceover 12 years ago
fucking hell

this is the first story at literotic that made my eyes wet in end, facing the reality of life that everyone has to go at the end of this life, leaving everything on this earth, what remains are MEMORIES. NICE HEARTY STORY

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Wow

I dont ever leave comments, but this story is crazy beautiful. This needs to be in the top 5, and on a better site than literotica... God damn this is scary good man. Be proud of urself

jiminabjiminabover 12 years ago
A beautiful story

Thank you for it Joe. Getting a bit close to home. We will have our 46th anniversary in 2 weeks and I can feel for the hubby. On our 45th I got her a huge vase with 45 roses in it. I hope we have some more and she goes first as I don't want her to be alone. Sorry to be a bit morbid. But I think I can understand love, Thanks for the write. Jim

MaddieKimMaddieKimover 12 years ago
Truly a beautiful story

Even at the beginning of the story, when I already knew how it would end, I couldn’t stop reading this amazing love story. I had no trouble at all understanding why it was a winner. Thank you for sharing your gift with us. Maddie

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Amazing

You are an amazing writer... I dont often leave comments but this story was so beautiful. Dont ever stop writing, you have a gift. Dont waste it xo

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Goosebumps....

I read this story on a whim & it has sent shivers up my back. Your story is very well written & one which I can relate to all to well. My father in law succombed to cancer a year ago & he & my mother in law would have celebrated their 46th anniversary last month. He slipped away from us a day after the family had told him he could stop fighting & just let go. I really do hope my inlaws will be reunited in the future.... Thanks for sharing this wonderful, heartfelt story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
I'm in tears...

This story is amazingly written. One of the best stories I've ever read, especially on here!

mast3rsurg3mast3rsurg3over 12 years ago
Amazing

This is honestly the first story i've ever read that made me cry. You are a great writer.

GorkonGorkonover 12 years ago
Touching

This was one of the best. Depth, humor, love...wow. 6 out of 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Lovely

One of the best pieces of literature i've read, it made me feel for him and made me cry. excellent work

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Wow

Incredible story, danielle steele has got nothing on you

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Enticing

This was brilliant, I can totally imagine this as a storyboard for a movie. Real excellent writing and imagination.

hathorbr1hathorbr1almost 12 years ago
Wow! What a Beautiful Story!

OMG! That had to be one of the most romantic and touching stories I have ever read on this site. I am still pouring tears because of how moved I was by it. You write so beautifully and with such imagery that you feel like you're watching a movie. It was simply amazing! Great Job!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Brilliant work!

A real brilliant work,reminds of movie notebook but so much more and romantic,one of the best works of romance.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
A great re-read

A fantastic story. I have read it 3 or 4 times over the last couple of years and it gets to me each time.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Unbelievable

The story was unbelievable.. Except for the sad ending the story was totally worth a read and amazingly beautiful.. Thanks a lot..

rangerrigsrangerrigsabout 11 years ago
Tears

Many tears were shed to this story. Simply beautiful. :)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago

Elli = Ellizabeth

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
tissues please....

I Loved it. I just keep crying. Excellent work. Xx

dairetodairetoover 10 years ago
how beautiful

I balled and balled.

i dont usually like these type of stories where one of them dues, but this was gorgeous

VisualPervVisualPervover 10 years ago
Oh. My. Gosh!

You glorious bastard. This was arguably the best short story I have ever read. The tears started somewhere in the first few paragraphs and continued unabated pretty much throughout the rest of the story. Of course I knew how it would end. But the writing and characters were so compelling I could not wait to see what happened next. I can't believe this didn't win the top spot. You wuz robbed!

Somewhere in the comments I saw reference to a movie. Get an agent. Make a pitch. This is so much better than 99.5% of the crap on the big screen. Of course I am thinking of me, not you. You would make enough from that movie to allow you to indulge us, er, yourself writing for Lit instead of working on that pesky ol' job...

Well done, my friend. This is only the second of your stories I have read. I can't wait to get through the whole library of your works to see how you did on the rest of them.

Sam37Sam37over 10 years ago
Amazingly

Well done. I loved it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
no

I'm so goddamn tired of pain and cancer.Morphine just washes everything away that makes you yourself even before it touches the pain. Fuck You.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
OMG

I haven't cried like this in a very long time. This story is absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
wonderful

there is not much to say other than it is a wonderful story

filled with love and tears

thank you

write more

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
love hate

Being married for forty six years I understand the feelings he had for his wife.

I hate that I can feel the loss of his wife. Being older and with medical problems

I wonder if my wife or I will be the one alone at the end. I think I would die soon

after her if she went first. good tale to bad more people do not find the

happiness love can bring to a devoted marriage.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous