Jack and Diane Ch. 15-18

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"They wanted to know why the leak wasn't detected for so long. I explained we had closed it up for the winter. They said the policy didn't cover the house being empty for more than two weeks, without prior notification."

"That's nonsense. I took the policy out as a holiday home; I paid the extra premiums so it would be covered over the winter."

"Oh! Is that why the renewal was so expensive?"

"What did you do Diane?"

"Well after the renewal came in I got other quotes. I took one that was a lot cheaper."

"Did you tell them it was a second home and wasn't occupied full time?"

"No."

"Well they have probably given you a standard policy then. Have they made any sort of an offer?"

"No, they just said it wasn't covered."

"In that case they are probably right. I don't see any way round it unless you did it through an agent who gave you bad advice?"

"No, I did it online."

"Then they'll have everything recorded. Did they send policy documents?"

"Yes."

"Bring them with you tomorrow when you pick up the children. I'll look at them over the weekend."

*****

I called in with Milla on Friday morning on my way to a site meeting. Alex Chambers was already there. We exchanged pleasantries, signed the papers and Alex handed me a cheque for one hundred and twenty five thousand pounds.

"I didn't expect that. I thought you would have to get the police to transfer it to you, then you to Milla before it got to me."

"Normally, yes. In this case Milla gave me enough ammunition to scare the shit out of them. I told them to give me a cheque to finalise the whole thing. Wilson tried to bluster but the Chief over-ruled him. I haven't a clue how he got where he did. Anyway, it was the least I could do for a fellow former serviceman. I was in the army." He offered his hand, we shook, and he left.

"Told you he was a decent guy."

"Do you know what he was in?"

"Paratroops. He was invalided out after a jump went wrong."

"That explains it."

*****

Diane dropped off the policy when she collected the kids. I had an early tee time with David the next morning so I left them for later.

David arrived bright and early. I loaded the bag into his boot and we set off.

"So, you're off to the South of France, then."

"Maybe. Depends on selling my share of the firm."

"I take it Harry, Georgie and I can still visit?"

"Err, what about explaining it to them?"

"Georgie has known for the past eighteen months. She saw the pair of you being a little over friendly at one of the summer barbeques. She told Harry and he gave her the big brother explanation. He told me and I made sure they understood. You can hide nothing from children."

"I would never have guessed."

"You will always be Uncle David."

"You have two unusually well balanced and tolerant young people there."

*****

I didn't get a chance to check the policy until Sunday lunch time. It was as I thought. She had bought an ordinary house policy.

"Well?"

"Unfortunately, it is a standard policy, Diane. They are absolutely right. Unless you inform them that the house will be unoccupied they won't cover it."

"Oh, no! I can't afford repairs and I need to let Lavinia know if I'm going to take up the option. Aisha has her share organised. You said you might be interested in buying it?"

"Diane, I've just had a lot of expenses recently, remember? I don't have quite as much capital as I had. I told you it would depend entirely on the price."

"The estate agent said about a hundred and sixty thousand, as it sits, but if I could sell it quickly to you, I'd take one hundred and fifty five?"

"When would you need to know?"

"End of the month?"

"I'll let you know."

*****

It was hard not to gloat, although I will admit, it was tinged with a little guilt. That passed as soon as I saw the children.

"Well how was your weekend?" I wasn't really all that interested in what they did with their mother and Peter, but I was interested in them. I wanted to make sure nothing was upsetting them.

"Peter and Mum don't seem too happy at the moment."

"Harry, what goes on between you Mum and Peter is no business of mine."

"Just thought you'd be interested. Peter thinks a new gym is opening up soon. Mum is all wrapped up in trying to buy out the boutique, and doesn't have any time for him."

"So you didn't see much of him?"

"Actually he was with us all day Saturday. Mum went down to Plymouth and didn't get back till after tea. He took us swimming in the morning and the museum in the afternoon. He was good fun, till Mum got back." Harry smiled insightfully, and headed off to his room.

So, all is not sunshine and roses for the lovebirds. Oh, how my heart ached for them … not!