All Comments on 'My Country Tis of Thee'

by Tara Cox

Sort by:
  • 56 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
incredibly great

Loved the story. this is way and above five stars. even if there was no sex in it it was well worth reading. of course i am biased since i am retired air force.

thanks for an amazing tale. i hope that it will continue but even it does not the story stands taller than most as is.

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
OUR COUNTRY TO LOVE..GOD BLESS THE USA

and when doing the Star Spangled Banner. think of the 2nd verse, TK U MLJ LV NV

Sid0604Sid0604over 9 years ago
A truely great story...

The story is very easily worth 5 stars and is well worth reading. I'll be waiting for every new chapter. Thankyou for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Beautiful Story

Excellent storyline and storytelling. Good grammar and lots of suspense..

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Great Story

This is about the best I have ever read here and do so hope there is more to this story. After 30 years of serving it brought back memories and feelings I had long forgotten. Only one thing, in the future don't use the word "soldiers". Marines don't care for the term and always want to be referred to only as Marines. Please give us more of Sergeant Mike.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
6 stars

Perfect job, capturing a difficult subject.

blackwatereagleblackwatereagleover 9 years ago
Tara you should be as proud

of this story as you obviously are proud of someone else. You have brought tears to this old swabbie as you write about those who have served and those who have died for a country that doesn't always appreciate their service or the ultimate sacrifice they have given.

I was in the Navy Ceremonial guard in Washington DC. Where I made many trips to Arlington National Cemetery to honor those who had served, and had lived and came home . Those old soldiers who had made it through Korea, and WWII, there were even two who had served in WWI.

Even today I cannot pass Arlington without a salute to those who have served , and those who even today, who may have paid the ultimate price for our country.

Even now it makes me angry the way this country treats these honored few.

Check to see how your Senator or Congressman votes for help for our Veterans.

especially the way the VA is so fucked up!

Tara CoxTara Coxover 9 years agoAuthor
Thank you all!

I am always humbled by the response to Sergeant Mike's stories. So thank you to all of you. A couple of housekeeping things...

There are already two other bits of this story of Lit: Red, White and Blue Halloween is the short story that started it all. A year later the story was still with me so I expanded those 3thousand words into a 20-something thousand novella called Esther's Story. Both of those are winners here at Lit and can be found on my author's page.

Secondly, Esther's Story and My Country Tis of Thee are both available as FREE ebooks on most ereaders. I say this for a couple of reasons...some of you might be thinking 'I wish so-and-so could read this' but not want them to know about Lit. So now you can share it with your vanillas. And secondly, if you do use Amazon, Kobo or another, these stories can always use some loving there too.

And yes, I am behind...I was supposed to finish book 2, Labor's End about Mister Clyde two years ago. But I am determined that unless something major like a rash of seizures happens (knock wood no) with my daughter that I am having that book out by this Labor Day. This will be my third attempt at it. I have lost 10,000 words of it...twice.

Thank you all again!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
How touching!!

Your story touched me so deeply. I had to stop reading, a time or two, to wipe the tears away. I am a USAF retired MSGT and look forward to more of your stories.

LostOneThereLostOneThereover 9 years ago
This one hits way too close to home.

I wasn't expecting a story like this one. Different Branch of Service, different locations, and a different era but the feelings and memories are very much the same. Thank you for the words in this story. Far, far too many friends and those I have served with have come home like Manny. Far too few in this nation have even cared. Thank you.

LostOneThereLostOneThereover 9 years ago
I mean no disrespect Tara

But how can you write about Marines and soldiers with the realism and the depth of emotion you so eloquently use? My ex-wife of 13 years (my own Kim Le) and my new partner of over 6 years still do not understand. They see me but they do not understand because they have not lived this life. You story is quite amazing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
I'm Ambivalent About This

The story is so well written, and the characters so well drawn, it's hard to find anything to critique, but;

This story is a downer, almost maudlin at times. Will the entire story have this tone?

It was difficult to keep reading. In my opinion this story needs to get happier, or only a few will stick it out to the end.

Anonymous Andy

john1946john1946over 9 years ago
Thank you

For making real a story that has touched so many. Your depth of emotion is excellent and the characters real, Thank you for writing such a touching story.

fdean80090fdean80090over 9 years ago
It's never too late

It is never to late to honour those who serve now and who have served in the past. We owe so much to them for their and their families sacrifice. Thank you so much for these type of stories. May God bless our troops and there families.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Semper Fi

Great story too often forgotten. Please keep it going. Just one thing a marine would not call it a gun pistol firearm rifle or piece never a gun

bearsladybearsladyover 9 years ago

I couldn't handle reading this all at once. I have been an avid reader of every type of story/book you can imagine. I can count on one hand the number of them that have made me actively weep. This story has joined that number and I imagine the rest of Mikes travels will also. Even knowing he finds Esther, didn't ease my empathy for him. I found myself mentally telling him to 'hold on just a little longer'.

As a proud parent of a son that served in Iraq, I intimately know that ever-present fear that lodges deep inside while he's gone. I know the intense joy of him coming home and being able to put my arms around him. I also know the agony of watching him deal with the horrors of what he saw and his pain for his brothers that didn't make it back. My heart breaks for those parents whose 'babies' made the sacrifice for keeping all of us safe. Way too many people don't look past the current headline or completely forget the men and women who dedicate their lives to this country.

You have an amazing talent as a writer. God, the Goddess, Allah, Buddha (whoever you believe in) has given you a special ability. You write good erotica but this story has taken you to a new level. So from me, thank you for sharing Mikes story with us. Goddess bless you

bruce22bruce22over 9 years ago
Beautiful Story

which left me with tear-filled eyes. I will have to read the rest of your excellent work

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Nicely done

Nicely done...i am a Marine combat vet and you nailed many things about things about what goes on insode our heads when we come back to the world. I enjoyed it and hope there is more to the story. Please allow me to point out some small details that will give credence to your character being a career Marine. First, forget you know the word "soldier" and stop using it completely. No Marine would ever use -- or even think-- the word about another Marine. It just ain't the way we roll. To mix things up use Jarhead or Devildog or Leatherneck instead. Next, Marines are particular about Staff NCO titles in a way that is different than the Army where calling a Master Sergeant "sergeant" is not uncommon. Therefore, no Marine Master Sergeant would go by "Sergeant Mike". He'd be "Top." Last, when a Marine presents a flag to the Next of Kin at a funeral, what we say is:"On behalf of the President of the United States, the Commandant of the Marine Corps, and a grateful nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one's service to Country and Corps."

ariesgirlariesgirlover 9 years ago

Excellent story, cried through half of it.

Mike was so much more than he thought. There were people that would miss him even though he didn't realize it. He was so focused on not having any biological relatives that he forgot those he served with were his family and would have grieved for him.

Now he has more people he can consider family...the Hernandez', Luke and his family.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
got me

Crying like a baby, be a shame not to finish the story.

One of the best on this sight outFUCKENstanding pat yourself on the back Tara

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago

THIS WAS GREAT KEEP UP WITH THIS STORY..FROM A FORMER MARINE ONCE A MARINE ALWAYS A MARINE.

Yobo36Yobo36over 9 years ago
Shit!

This is the best story I have read on Literotica. Except maybe Esther. Both of them made me cry. As a Vietnam Veteran, I know first hand the the feelings you have expressed. If only....

Keep these coming, GREAT writing! 10 Stars.

Mahalo,

Yobo

teedeedubteedeedubover 9 years ago
Jesus

What a gripping, heart wrenching story. Bravo to you for sharing it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago

HooRah Great story. I have a new favorite author. Keep up the good work. you expressed perfectly some of the feelings of this retired Marine.

arrowglassarrowglassover 9 years ago
Aa remarkable tale!

A very special story for more than just the human heart...the soul too! I hope we will be hearing more about "simply Mike" and his traveling adventures!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Thank you so much

Your story is such a gift. I'll be carrying it inside me for quite some time.

DP (an old vet)

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Right On!

Best story I've read in years. You can never know until you've walked in those shoes.

JohnSpiritWolfJohnSpiritWolfabout 9 years ago
Words are NOT enough...

This old SEAL's heart has so many holes in it, just as you have written about here, so many ghosts that will never fade away. I sit here now, with tears flowing down my cheeks...

Thank You Tara

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Bravo Zulu - One of the best

Thank you so much for finding the words to express the feelings of so many of us vets. Your description of Sergeant Mike's struggles with his emotions is brilliant. Having been there myself I can only hope that he finds his Esther. Keep up the good work! 5*

BMCS USN (Ret)

ArchReaderArchReaderalmost 9 years ago
Reminders of the Forgotten War

An excellent piece of work. Those of us that served in the Forgotten War of Northern Ireland, were treated like this by the government of the day until their surrender to the IRA.

Forgotten and cast aside, and treated with no form of respect. Lost good friends and still some suffer the horror of their service.

The day we joined we all signed a cheque to Queen & Country up to the value of our life, only to be sold-out by the political establishment.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Lest We Forget

A truly eye opener and reminder of our heritage and our country's established goals. Politics feeling that we do not have time for people, we do not have to respect others, and we are so wrapped up in our own money founded beliefs that we would enclose ourselves off from the others in the world. I hope that with your wonderful writing skills that you will continue the story even though the cancer may not allow me to finish with you. You should know that I feel that whoever reads this will take some knowledge away and hopefully remember our troops and our immigrants. Best of luck and thanks. Lobo

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Thank you.

For telling the war that continues once our men return to the States, the war that will never end in their hearts and minds, the battles they will fight every day just to survive and try to fit into a society that has no understanding, nor any desire to understand.

I would ask of you two things: First, would you do an edit and publish this where people who don't come to sites such as Literotica will see this? This is a story that ought be read by most in this country who have no clue of the societal issues you have touched on, nor the veterans issues, where we lose an average of twenty-two a day to suicide because of a VA that that does not care, and our governement will not fund sufficiently.

Second, and I know this may seem a small issue, but to a Marine, it is not. A Marine is a Marine. He is never a soldier. Soldiers, and I appreciate them for their service, serve in the Army. This is not just a matter of inter-service rivalry, but a matter of mindset in the way they live their lives and look at their service.

You brought tears to my eyes on more than one occassion in your story, and as one who has been to too many funerals and wakes for our men, I am profoundly grateful for what you wrote.

A Jarhead Dad

Tara CoxTara Coxover 8 years agoAuthor
To Jarhead Dad...and all the others

I am one step ahead of you...the edited version of My Country Tis of Thee is available on Amazon. As is Book 2...Labor's End. I will be shortly posting Book 3 Shared Burdens, which is a totally re-written and professionally edited version of Esther's Story that now includes Mike's POV as well.

And yes, there are loads of edits and corrections as well as completely new material. Please do share these stories...they are cheap for a reason. As soon as the exclusive clause ends at Amazon I will be distributing them more widely. Shared Burdens is not going to be enrolled in that program at all.

Lit would not appreciate links to paid e-books BUT nothing has changed...same author name and same book title, just search the Kindle store.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
War is hell, it's true.

But how do you people actually manage the mental gymnastics that allow you to justify your government's meddling in the affairs of other countries, all in pursuit of oil/money/power?

All your young people dying in wars that serve mainly to prop up the American economy, to serve Big Business.

What an incredible waste.

And you support it?

Jesus wept...

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
To anonymous

If that is all you see or understand, I feel pity for you for not understanding what it really means. The freedom to chose religion, where to live, how to live, even the choice to volunteer in any of the branches of military. To give without being asked to. To Love and RESPECT. We are not a perfect people but we Try. To respect ourselves as well as respect others. BUT to stand in front of a bullet or IED or any other arsenal available to save others from being pushed or shoved or any other type of bully telling others how they have to live. Even from You an anonymous bully.

RJ Jones

drmoo2udrmoo2uover 8 years ago
Thank You ...

I liked the story ... But ... Perhaps you did not know of the 50,000 Canadians who fought in Vietnam and of the 9,000 who died there ... Not because it was America's war ... But rather ... It was a fight for freedom ... We did not ask for citizenship but count as brother's ... Semper Fi ...

rightbankrightbankover 8 years ago
beautiful

difficult to read at times, because it hits so close to home.

thank you.

Senior819Senior819over 8 years ago
continue,please.

I had to comment on this story. Sargeant Mike isn't done. You should continue the story. I would like to know if Sarge gets the girl in the end.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Thank you.

And I agree with Senior819. M Sgt Mike's story deserves his happy ending. Hope you continue this story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Just some military crap

People think if it's all patriotic it must be good. This isn't.

The NavigatorThe Navigatorover 7 years ago
So sad

The story is, but the comment from the prior reader is even more so. "Just some military crap." I wore the uniform of the United States during WWII and the Korean War. Some of my friends and buddies never came home. I was among the lucky ones. To refer to a story about one of those who did not come back as "Just some military crap" is truly sad.

imsbillyimsbillyover 7 years ago
Thank you

Rarely have I read a story that touched me like this one did. I hope there is more to come.

auhunter04auhunter04over 6 years ago

tears

for the third time

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
So many tears...

thank you!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
tears...

so many for the men and women we have lost and for those that keep us safe.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Ester

That was a fine peace of work, but I think Mike needs to get to Ester.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Wow

An old fart, ex-service man from the UK with tears dripping down his cheeks.

No matter which country one follows their own flag, he or she serves that country, even if it costs them their lives.

Duty and respect.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Beautiful, and masterfully written - but WHY ??

You are a masterful storyteller, and have written a beautiful story. But WHY? Why oh why do you permit your work to be sullied by lack of careful editing? I can’t believe you don’t know better than to allow homonyms (piece vs peace, clabbering vs clamoring, etc - there are many others) to be published. Spellchecker is the very bane of human communication, words mean things and using the wrong ones can destroy the enjoyment of a great piece like yours.

Please find a good editor, there are some who work for free on this site.

Crusader235Crusader235over 4 years ago

Tara, thank you for this. Five Stars ain't enough.

Semper Fi

Cindy1001Cindy1001about 4 years ago
High Five

Few stories have earned their five stars more than this one!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Dang read the series in reverse order

Despite reading in reverse order, it still made sense. Thoroughly enjoyed each one, each one five stars. A depth of emotion and understanding. My limited experience (very limited) rings true, the racism, the prejudice, the sad sight of veterans begging on the streets on the streets of Boston, San Fransisco, Las Vegas, New York. Comments from a nephew’s Texan mother, have been similarly described in this series. But, and this is a big but this series has also brought the good, even great part of humanity to the fore. The more noble side of people. Mike despite his demons was able to rise above the default evil we can all so easily reduce ourselves to. Well done in showing us a glimpse that there are noble men and women in the USA.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Semper Fi and all

This Navy Chief came to tears many times throughout this story. The wounds we carry of the ones who did not come home will be with us always. When we care so much that we do 20 plus, we also love too much. All we can do is share our memories to honor those that gave their lives...for us.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Too close to home; bawled my eyes out.

MisterMordinMisterMordinover 2 years ago

20 years on from 9/11...Afganistan given back to the Taliban, and so many lost. The tragedy of war.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Sensitive tribute to the people who have made America great. Top quality, "must read"! Thanks s much,

THC

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Loved it, so well written. Is there a sequel? Felt like it was being set up as a series.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userTara Cox@Tara Cox
2504 Followers
UPDATE: If you are wondering what happened to me, I have not died. I left Lit. Please do NOT comment or complain about unfinished stories. Completed versions of many are available on my website to read for FREE. If you follow the links: http://taracoxwriter.com Twitter: @...

story TAGS

SIMILAR Stories