Two in the Bush Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
starscape
starscape
136 Followers

But it wasn't all hard work. Sometimes they just spent lazy days exploring the river in a canoe, or taking long hikes, enjoying the natural beauty of the landscape in the company of a kindred spirit.

The couple had long decided that Julia would be staying full-time at Ben's cabin. They would prepare her uncle's cabin for the winter and make regular treks to check on the property. In mid-September they hiked to the clearing half a mile from Ray's cabin and waited for the buzzing whirr of the plane bringing in Julia's uncle.

She came running and embraced him with a bear hug. "Oh Uncle Ray, it is so good to see you!" Julia exclaimed, squeezing him tightly.

Her uncle was an average-sized, unassuming man, much stronger physically than he at first appeared. His short thinning hair was once jet black like his niece's but was now seventy percent silver. He had a neatly trimmed beard the same color as his hair and kind gray-green eyes.

"Well, well, look at you," Ray said, holding his niece at arm's length so he could look at her. "Just as lovely as I remember. How are things going? You going stir crazy yet?"

No, she assured him, she was loving every minute of it. "Ben has been a huge help," she told her uncle, gesturing to the tall man standing a few feet away.

They greeted each other and shook hands. Ray said, "Al here has another flight scheduled for today, so why don't the two of you help me get the plane unloaded so he can be on his way."

Julia's uncle had brought with him a large package full of wheat flour, powdered milk, and other food for his niece, as well as a big box of crisp apples. He also presented her with some warm winter clothing and an old-fashioned flat iron to put under the covers at the foot of her bed to keep her feet warm in the winter.

Julia was surprised and delighted by his generosity, rewarding him with a kiss on the cheek. She thanked him profusely.

Ray looked around the cabin. "Where are all of your things?" he asked. He'd expected it to look more lived in.

"Well," his niece said shyly, reaching back to touch the man behind her, "Ben and I have been together almost the entire summer, and we've decided to pool our resources and winter at his place."

The old man raised an eyebrow in surprise. "I see," he replied, glancing up at Ben. First time I've ever noticed the man show an interest in a woman, he thought, and now that woman is my favorite niece.

Ben held his old neighbor's gaze steadily. "I care about Julia a great deal, Ray," he said finally. "I promise to let no harm come to her."

They stood facing each other while the older man considered the younger one's words. Well, in sixteen years Ben had always shown himself to be a decent, trustworthy fellow. And Ray trusted Julia's judgment. And the truth was he also felt some relief to know that she wasn't going to be spending the winter alone, no matter how prepared she might be. Ray stroked his beard thoughtfully.

"Well," he said at last, squeezing his niece around the shoulders, "I'm happy for you two." Then, "What do you say we go fishing? I've been looking forward to some fresh salmon steaks for nearly a year now."

~**~

Julia's uncle stayed for only five days before heading back to Wyoming. He observed his niece and especially his neighbor carefully during his visit to see if he could gauge the depth of their relationship. They reminded him of his own relationship with his deceased wife, he admitted. Two young people in love with the wilderness and each other; a small smile of memory tinged with old grief formed on his lips. Well, Shirley would've been tickled pink to know that her niece had found love on this land. Julia was like a daughter to her too.

The night before he left the three relaxed in the hot spring pool on Ben's property, discussing the upcoming winter.

"Well," Ray said slowly, scratching his head, "it sounds like you're well set for the winter."

Julia sensed what her uncle was considering. "Uncle Ray, I'm sure I'll be fine here. Of course you are welcome to visit in January, but I don't want you to feel you must just to check up on me. I do have some concerns about you flying in on a small plane in the middle of winter."

"And I have some concerns about my beloved niece spending her first winter in Alaska," he countered.

Ray thought for a moment. To be honest, the thrill of flying into the bush in the wintertime had passed many years ago, and his joints found the bitter cold increasingly meddlesome as he grew older. He would do it willingly for Julia, of course, but...

"I'll take good care of her, Ray," Ben promised. "You know I'm a man of my word."

The old man looked in his neighbor's eyes and nodded. "True enough."

Ray left early next morning and they stood in front of the plane saying their goodbyes.

"You sure you don't want me to fly back in January? It's no trouble," he pressed.

Julia hugged her uncle. "I'm sure." She turned her head to whisper into his ear. "I love him, Uncle Ray, and I know he loves me. I've never been so happy before in my life. Thank you for letting me stay here; I never would have met Ben otherwise. I know it wasn't an easy decision for you to make."

The old man held her a little tighter for a moment, patting her on the back. He kissed her on the cheek. "In my heart, you've always been a daughter to me," he said.

"I know," she acknowledged. "And you've always been like a second father to me, the father who actually understands me. I love you, Uncle Ray."

"And I love you." He kissed her again and shook Ben's hand. "Take good care of her, Ben," he said, stepping into the plane, "she's the most important person in my life."

"I will," Ben promised, adding in his head, mine too.

And with a final wave the plane left the ground, leaving the couple alone in the clearing.

starscape
starscape
136 Followers