A Life Changing Event

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I figured she stayed with me for the benefit of the kids. I was at a point in life where I didn't care anymore. I went to my friends' houses, played golf and still went places with my kids.

Maybe once every few months Mare would come home from going out with her friends and would be drunk and horny, it's about the only time we had sex. She never talked about it the next day. I guess we lived somewhat of a life of convenience and stayed together for the kids.

Mare and I did our best not to argue in front of our kids but at times it happened. We both loved them and did put them first. At this point in our life Mare and I didn't hate each other but didn't really love each other anymore. I had often wondered what would happen after they all left from being under our roof.

Ever since we started going together we were told how opposites attract which was very true. What we didn't know was what happens later in life when the differences became issues and we often disagreed. I was happy with what we had and just wanted to enjoy life. I wanted to buy a camping trailer and travel and see the country.

Mare told me straight out that she wasn't going to be living in a camper. It was bad enough that we lived in a small town where everyone knows your business. She always thought that someday she could live the good life and attend posh parties and rub shoulders with the elite like her parents did.

I came home and told her we had to talk. There were major changes at work and I would have to go back on the road at least one week out of the month. She looked at me like, 'Who gives a shit.' I don't think she cared one way or the other.

She told me that she and Amber would make do, they always did. I told Amber about it when she got back from college that day. "You have to do what you have to do. I'm in college all day and Mom always does her own thing anyway. We'll be fine Dad, but I will miss not seeing you when I get home from school." She kissed me and gave me a hug. She was the best daughter a father could ask for.

I talked to Helen the next day and she was happy with my decision. She did remind me that the road trips would pay more money, which I almost forgot about.

It was a couple of weeks later I headed out on a four day trip. When you are driving a truck you think about a lot of things. I found myself comparing Mare and Helen. They were both good looking women who dressed age appropriately, but Mare would always want the more expensive clothes. She would always tell me that she earned her own money and deserved to buy whatever she wanted.

I really couldn't argue with that and didn't even care to. I didn't know anything about Helen but wondered about where she came from and what led her into the trucking business.

When I arrived home I thought Mare would be happy to see me but by the way she acted you would have thought I just got back from the local store. When Amber got home she yelled out "Daddy" and gave me a big hug. I would be off for the next couple of days and decided to go visit my sons. They were happy to see me.

Rob told me he was getting married and was really happy. I knew his girlfriend and she was a very pretty girl and was a secretary at the plant he worked at. When I looked at Rob he said, "No, Dad we don't have to get married. We just love each other and want to be together."

They had a nice wedding and reception. Mary seemed happy for them and her parents even showed up. They gave Rob and Sue a check for a thousand dollars. My mom and dad gave them five hundred dollars.

Mary acted nice to me at the wedding. Her parents were even cordial to me. We sat at the same table during dinner. Mary and I even danced together at the reception. Her parents said they had to leave early because of a previous engagement and said goodbye to Rob, Sue and Mary. Amber went up to them and gave them a hug. Everyone loved Amber.

Mary drank more after her parents left. After getting a little high she seemed to let herself go a little more. For awhile she seemed like the Mare that I married. She seemed friendlier to everyone, even my parents. When we got home I helped her undress, then I went down on her. It's been so long since we had oral sex that I really did my best.

She came from my oral manipulations before I even got on top of her and fucked her hard. Damn, it felt good. It's sad when you have to wish your wife was a drunk just so you can have sex with her.

The following week I worked on local runs and Helen asked me out to lunch; she said she wasn't big on eating alone and I was nice to talk to. I have to admit she wasn't hard on the eyes. As we ate lunch I asked her about her background.

"Well, my dad was a trucker as far back as I can remember. I grew up around truckers and the terminals. My father eventually bought a trucking outfit and after I went to college I worked at the terminal as a dispatcher. I've worked in the transportation industry ever since," said Helen.

"What about family?" I asked. "I see you're wearing a wedding ring. Where does your husband work if I may ask?"

"My husband passed away two years ago of colon cancer. I still wear my rings, not really sure why. I do have a grown son. He works at the corporate office for a freight company. That's enough about me; we better get back, you have a run to make," she said but I could tell she didn't like talking about personal issues.

Things between Mare and me didn't change much. I asked Amber what her mom did while I was gone and she told me about the same things she did when I was home. She would go out with friends or over to her parents' house. Amber said she often complained that she shouldn't have gotten married so early in life and often blamed me for getting her pregnant. She said she missed out on the better things in life.

When Amber asked her like what, she told her that there was a part of her that liked the better things in life and eating out at the more elegant restaurants and going to high society parties like her parents did.

Amber said her mom often talked about the expensive houses her friends had and how their parties were more elegant. I asked Amber how she liked her life and she told me she loved her life. She liked all the places we've gone and how friendly our neighbors were. There is no part of her life that she would want to change except her mom and I never seemed happy together.

****

I was eating lunch more often with Helen. It was just friends having lunch. Sometimes she would invite another person along. She told me it was so people wouldn't talk about me. She didn't want rumors out there that might mess up my marriage.

I told her that we didn't do anything wrong and had nothing to hide. I have to say I really enjoyed my little bit of time with Helen. She did tell me her son was married and his wife was expecting. She would soon be a grandmother.

It was after my next long distance trip that the shit hit the fan when I got home. I walked in the door and Mare had suitcases and boxes of personal things setting there in the living room.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"I'm moving out. I'm sorry but I don't love you anymore and all our kids are grown up. I talked to my mother and am moving back to their house for now. I'm not happy and I'm pretty sure you aren't either. I just want out. You can have the house and all the furnishing. I just want my personal things and half of our savings and checking account," said Mare.

I didn't know what to say. I should have known that this was coming but I guess it's different when it really happens. "What am I to tell our kids?"

"I have already talked to all of them. I told them that I wasn't happy and we would be getting divorced. Amber tried to talk me into staying but I told her we both loved her and that I would still see her often. She can stay here with you."

I begin to get mad and we were both yelling. She told me how she hasn't been happy for years and just stayed because of the kids. I asked her if there was someone else and she looked down at the floor.

"There is someone else but I have never cheated on you. I've been to the theatre and dinner a few times with a friend of the family but I did not sleep with him. I did not break my vows, I wouldn't do that to you."

I yelled and called her names and told her to go to hell as I walked out the door and got into my truck. I drove around for awhile and went to the bar. I sat there and drank until the bartender said he wouldn't serve me anymore.

I left the bar and got a dumpy motel room and drove to the store and picked up a bottle of whisky. I sat in my room and drank, drowning my sorrows. I passed out and woke up not even knowing what I was doing. I grabbed my truck keys and started driving home. It was then that I drove off the right side of the road hitting a tree.

The next thing I remembered was waking up in a hospital bed with tubes coming out of every orifice. A nurse came in and said, 'You're awake! Just lay still, you were in a car accident. Please lie still, I'll get the doctor."

The doctor came in and told me my daughter was in the waiting room and would be in after he talked to me and examined me. He told me I was in an accident. My alcohol level was very high and that I drove off the road and hit a tree. Luckily I was the only vehicle in the accident. I sustained a broken left leg, fractured two ribs, had a concussion and lots of cuts and scrapes.

I was put in an induced coma and had been out for three days. He told me I was doing well and in stable condition and would be taken out of the intensive care unit and placed in a regular room. I would probably stay in the hospital for at least a week and on crutches for a couple of months. It would be a few months before my ribs would heal completely. He told me I was a very lucky man. I know I didn't feel very lucky.

"Daddy, I'm so sorry." She was crying and kissed my forehead. I couldn't talk since I had tubes down my throat.

"Don't try and talk Daddy, I'll try and explain to you what I know. Right now the nurse is going to take you to your room. She said they will be taking the tubes out of your throat and get you some water. I'll see you in a little bit. I'm going to call Robbie and Boyd and let them know you're awake. I love you Daddy." My little girl was crying.

I know I was still very groggy and sort of went back to sleep while the nurses put me in a regular room and removed a lot of the tubes. When I woke up I still had an IV and a catheter hooked up to me. A few minutes later Amber came back in. I asked her to help me with the water and straw. My throat felt really dry.

She handed me the cup and I took a couple of sips. I was coming around pretty good and getting my bearings. I asked Amber about college and she told me it was Saturday. She said that she stopped by everyday after school and sat with me for a couple of hours. I asked about Robbie and Boyd and Amber told me they stopped in everyday also.

"Dad, I'm so sorry. I knew about mom leaving. She told me after you left for your last trip. I was going to call you but I knew it would just upset you and you were driving your truck at the time. There was no way Mom was going to change her mind and I argued with her for a couple of days.

"She told Robbie and Boyd that she loved us all very much but that she was no longer in love with you." My little girl had tears in her eyes. "We knew that the two of you haven't gotten along in years and that this would eventually happen."

"Did your mother even stop in the hospital?"

"Yes, you were brought to the hospital in the middle of the night. The police called the house and Mom answered the phone. She and I got dressed and rushed here. You were in the emergency room and being taking to the operating room. The police were here and said you were drunk and wrapped your truck around a tree."

"Did she move out?" I asked.

"Yes Dad, she felt sorry for you but said it was your fault that you drove drunk. She said it didn't change anything and she was still moving out. Grandma and Grandpa came by the first day and Grandpa said you might lose your licenses over this and if that happens you could lose your job. Is that possible Dad?"

"Yes, Honey, I guess it is. I'll have to wait and talk to the bosses at work and see what happens. At least I wasn't driving a truck at the time. It was just plain stupid of me. I have no one to blame but myself."

"A woman stopped by here everyday to see you. She said her name is Helen Sparks and that she worked with you. She didn't look like a truck driver, Dad. Who exactly is she?"

I smiled a little but my face hurt. "She's my new boss. The company she works for put her in charge of the buyout and changes. I told you our company was bought out by a competitor. Helen is nice but she is also the one who will be telling me if I still have a job."

"She likes you Dad, I could tell by the way she looked at you. She even had tears in her eyes and knew all about me and where I went to college. I did notice that she's married or at least is wearing a ring. You're not involved with her are you Dad?"

"No, Honey, I have never cheated on your mother in all the years we were married. Just so you know, Helen, Mrs. Sparks is a widow. Her husband died a few years ago. We have had lunch at the diner next to the terminal but that's all. I have to wonder if your mother ever cheated on me. She told me there is a man she likes but that she never cheated ."

"I honestly don't know. She's never brought anyone to the house and I've never seen her leave with another man. By the way, she has moved out completely. It's just you and me now, Dad. She left most everything but took all her personal things. I talked to her yesterday and she asked how you were doing. She feels sorry for you but says you did it to yourself."

We talked for awhile and later Robbie and Boyd came to see me. By then I was feeling much better. That was until the police came by to see me and gave me a ticket for driving under the influence, like I didn't have enough problems. I had to go to court after I got out of the hospital.

It was a very busy day. I called the insurance company and they said my truck was a total loss and that they would get a check to me the following week. They also told me that since I got a ticket for a DUI that I would be put on a risk policy for three years if I stayed with them.

Helen came back to see me and made some small talk telling me how nice and pretty Amber was. I told her Amber was wondering if we were involved and Helen laughed. It was nice to see even a smile. Most of her job was dealing with problems the customers had and with dissatisfied truckers.

"Well Helen, am I going to lose my job over this dumb thing I did?"

"I don't know. I'm having a talk with the CEO of the trucking freight lines tomorrow and we'll see what happens. He knows about your situation and that up till now you have had a perfect driving record. One thing in your favor is that you were on your own time. It also makes a difference if you lose your license and aren't allowed to drive."

"What? CEO? Why would the CEO worry about an old trucker's problem? I don't understand?"

"Henry, I never told you this but my father is the owner and CEO of the company. He owns three freight lines and that's why I got the position of managing this one. I have two brothers and they manage the other two. I already told you that my son works in the main office where my father is."

"Oh shit! I'm sorry I put you in this predicament. I am such an idiot. I take it you know that all this happened because my wife left me, didn't you?"

"Yes, Amber told me. Henry, I'm not going to pull any punches with you. I like you and enjoy talking with you. You are also one of my best drivers and I don't want to lose you. I will do what I can to help you keep your job. I'm having dinner with my father and my brothers tomorrow. I'll get back with you sometime next week. You just take your time and heal, we'll talk later."

On Sunday Amber and her boyfriend, Lance, came to see me. Lance was in pre-med in college and it would be a few more years before he became an intern. Needless to say Mare liked him and I thought he was pretty nice too. Amber did tell me that they were serious but that their education came first.

Robbie and his wife came to see me and told me to call if I needed anything. They were a cute couple and doing fine so far. Boyd came in and we talked for awhile. He was dating but said there was no one serious right now. He said he was sorry to hear about his mom and I divorcing but said he thought it was best. Apparently our kids knew for years that Mare and I weren't in a loving relationship.

My parents wanted to blame Mare but it didn't take a brain surgeon to know that I drove the truck into a tree when I was drunk. I explained to them that Mare and I haven't gotten along in years. We stayed together mostly for the kids but they were all grown now. They told me they were there for me if I needed anything.

I had a lot of visitors over the next week. Amber and my sons stopped by for awhile everyday. On Tuesday Helen came to see me. She asked how I was doing. I told her I was doing fine under the circumstances. I was finally able to stand up on crutches to make it to the bathroom so I wouldn't have to use a catheter. She kind of smiled at that.

I told her I had to move slow because my ribs still hurt and according to the doctor it would be awhile before they healed. I asked how the talk went with her father and brothers.

"They all came to the conclusion that since you drive your own truck and pay your own insurance that as long as you have a driver's license that it will be alright to keep you on. I contacted the health insurance company and there is no problems with your claims and everything should be covered. So I guess that's pretty good news." She was smiling at me.

"Thank you for going through all that trouble for me. I owe you big time," I smiled when I said it.

Helen did stop in everyday to see me. I didn't see Mare at all. I heard she stopped in the first night but never came back. When it was time to leave the hospital Boyd came by in a van to take me home. The house looked different since Mare took some of her possessions.

When Amber came home she said she had me signed up for home health care. Someone would stop by for two hours each day to help me with anything I needed and to help with my rehabilitation for my leg. She even set me up for a lunch to be delivered everyday.

I couldn't believe that they had me walking lightly on a broken leg. I never heard of such a thing. Boyd stopped by a few days later and drove me to court. The judge wasn't very sympathetic with my situation.

I was surprised to see Helen show up and asked to speak. She told the judge about me being a truck driver and as long as I had a valid driver's license that I could keep my job. She also mentioned my driving record to the judge to this point in my career.

He asked how long I would be on crutches before I would be able to use a clutch. I told him the doctor told me about two months. He looked at me and then at Helen and then back at me.

"I should suspend your license for six months, but because this lady vouched for you I'll make it sixty days from the day of the accident. If I ever see you back in my courtroom again for a DUI I'll suspend your license for a year."

Helen looked over at me and smiled. Boyd thanked her for all she did for me. He asked her if she would like to go to lunch with us and she said, "Maybe another time, I have to get back to the office."

On the way to the restaurant Boyd told me he thought Helen was a good looking women and wished he had a boss like that. It made me smile because I grown quite fond of Helen.

****