A Long Good-bye

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"There were a couple of sand bags."

"I suggest that you get out of my house before I lose my temper." They scurried out.

Fucking hell what is this world coning to, doesn't anyone have respect for the dead anymore?

"Dad, what's the matter?" Jessica asked after they had left.

"Someone called the cops and told them that you're mother's death was assisted and not natural."

"Jesus Christ, even if it was 'assisted' it was only to save her suffering any more than necessary."

"I'm afraid that the law doesn't see it that way."

"Then the law needs to be changed." She hugged me. "Don't worry, we'll get through this, you have our full support, you've done nothing wrong."

I rang my Lawyer and he agreed to get onto the Medical Examiner immediately and tell him just what he thought of him.

Sarah called in the next morning on her way to the office. "What's happened?"

"There's been a total fuck-up, sorry about the swearing, but, because some clown hinted that you being here all the time meant that I had killed Miranda. The body was taken from the hospital before any organs were removed, so that an autopsy could be carried out. It probably means that no organs can be used and that really pisses me off. I don't know who could have done this, but if I find out and get to him or her before the police do I'll probably be charged with another murder."

"Don't even think of it, it's not worth it. If it turns out that the organs aren't usable then I think that one of the news magazine programmes would love to get their teeth into this, after all there's been a push of late to try and get more people to become organ donors. I just happen to know the producer of one such programme."

Half an hour after Sarah had left my Lawyer rang. "I've spoken to the Medical Examiner who tells me that he had been unaware that the body that he'd been told to pick up was that of a donor, he was just told that it was the subject of a murder investigation and that a cause of death was required and that meant a full toxicology examination involving the dissection of the organs."

"This gets worse."

"And it gets even worse. The hospitals that I spoke to had already prepped organ recipients only to be told that the organs were no longer available, no reason was given. When I told them what had happened they were as angry as you and I, and let me tell you, they are spitting chips. We are going to hear a lot more of this. I have volunteered to be the family spokesperson and deflect the attention from you. I know you and, I don't think that you are in any condition to front media scrutiny."

"Thank you for everything that you've done, are doing, and don't forget to send the bill."

"Mate, there will be no bill for this, I'm going to enjoy it."

The media shit-storm lasted for three days. "This programme has, for some time now, been at the forefront of a push to get more Australians to become Organ Donors, and we thought that we were getting somewhere. It came as a shock to us today when we heard of a Donor's body being removed from the hospital while Recipients were being prepared to receive her organs. What made it worse was that the people who took the body were the police and they did this because someone suggested that there may have been foul play involved in this person's death. While the hospital concerned would not appear on camera to explain its position on this matter, a spokesperson later today issued this statement:" Cut to outside shot of hospital and voice-over reading the statement. ' This hospital emphatically denies any allegations that of the patient in question had died from anything other than natural causes. This hospital also states that a thorough investigation has been made into the treatment given to this patient and this has concluded that there was nothing unusual about it.' Cut back to reporter: "A police representative stated that an internal investigation cleared its officers of any wrongdoing over the matter and that its officers were following proper procedures. They would not name the informant. The matter has also been raised in State Parliament with the Police Minister agreeing to a more thorough investigation being carried out after the local Member called the original investigation a disgusting white-wash. This programme will keep viewers up to date with the investigation."

The following evening even more damning facts emerged. "Last night this programme exposed the story of an Organ Donor's body being removed from the hospital before organs could be removed and while recipients at several hospitals were being prepared to receive those organs. A police spokesperson told this programme that the police were acting on a tip-off that the Donor had been euthanized. This programme has learned that these allegations were made without proof that this had been the case and were based purely on the fact that a woman other than the Donor was observed to have stayed with the Donor's husband while the Donor was fighting for her life in hospital. The Lawyer acting for the husband has sought to clarify this situation." The reporter turns to William Schaeffer (our Lawyer); Mr. Schaeffer, what can you tell us about these allegations?" Cut to Schaeffer: "Let me say up-front that my client has done nothing wrong. The woman that was seen at my client's house is his Personal Assistant, Miss Sarah Donaldson and she was there so that my client could still carry on his work while at the same time be available should his wife need him. Both he and his wife were fully aware that she had but a short time to live and steps were being taken so that he could spend as much time as possible by her side. Miss Donaldson was acting as a courier, bringing work to him and working from his home office to help keep on top of his busy workload. On certain nights, because they worked late into the night, she stayed at his house. On those nights she slept in the guest bedroom and evidence given by my client, Miss Donaldson and my client's daughter, have all affirmed that there is not one shred of evidence to contradict these statements. My client will be seeking legal redress for this libel."

Sarah was on the phone, I had it on speaker and Andrew and Jessica were talking with her. "Didn't I tell you that the media would have a field day with this. My friend is looking to a Walkley. (The Walkley Award is given for Journalistic Excellence and is much sought after by serious Journalists)

"He shouldn't count his chickens."

"I've had to fend off the Paparazzi every time I leave the office for any reason, and I hope that they haven't bugged my phone or got a scanner out looking for it. I'm sorry that I couldn't come over tonight, but I didn't think it appropriate under the circumstances."

"So are we." Jessica told her. "I cooked a special meal just for you."

"Save me some for the next time I come over."

"I don't think that it will keep all that well, but just for you, I'll make it again next time you come over."

"I'll hold you to that. I'll drop by in the morning with some papers that need signing. I hope that there aren't too many Pap's around."

"I can always sign them on the bonnet of your car."

"No, that would tell the world that we did have something to hide after all, no, I'll come in, but we can do it all in the living room and if you make sure that the curtains aren't closed they can see it all and take as many photos as they like."

"Sounds good to me, I'll see you then, 'bye."

The next night it came to a head: "We bring you the latest in our story of the body of an Organ Donor that was removed by police before the organs could be removed and rushed to waiting recipients who had already been prepared to receive them. We have been informed by the hospitals that three of the recipients have passed away and a fourth is in a critical condition on life support. In the mean time the inquiry into the police handling of this matter took an unusual turn today. At a press conference this afternoon the Police Commissioner made the following statement: Cut to press conference;

"This afternoon I have appointed my Assistant Commissioner to carry out an extensive review into this matter. I do not want to pre-empt his findings but I do envisage that changes in procedures will be made in several areas. There will be a disciplinary hearing into the conduct of the officer that authorised the removal of the body and his motives for so doing. I offer my deepest sympathies to the family of the Donor and families of those recipients who were denied their long awaited transplants. My Department will carry out the wishes of the deceased to be cremated and will return the ashes to the grieving family."

Cut to Presenter; "While this may go part of the way to compensating those involved for their loss, it doesn't make it any easier for those who are prepared to do their duty to those less fortunate and give their healthy organs to those who badly need them to survive, knowing that at any time and for any reason, these gifts can be cruelly taken away from those in need. This programme will continue to push for more people to give their organs despite this set-back. We will go to a break and be right back to speak to the captain of the Australian Cricket Team on his team's performance in the last test match, more shortly."

"Surely something can be done to stop this sort of thing happening in future." Jessica said as I sat staring at the screen in silence.

"I don't know what, we'll just have to put this all behind us along with everything else that's happened this past week." The body was to be cremated at State expense, only fair seeing as we'd already paid for a cremation, and the ashes returned to us.

At last it was over, the police were now satisfied that her death was natural. I had just received the apology from the Police Commissioner in which he expressed his sympathy to us and promised a full investigation into the way that the matter was handled. The urn with her remains was handed to me and, in respect to her instructions, we, Andrew, Jessica and I carried it to its final resting place, our own private place in the country, where we finally bade her farewell. It had been a week since the funeral when we said our first good-byes, but now we could finally lay her to rest. It had been a long good-bye.

We had just got back into our car to drive back to town when Jessica tapped me on the shoulder. "Dad."

"Yes Jess."

"You're going to marry Sarah aren't you?"

"What, what's brought this on?"

"It was something Mum told me months ago, just after she'd been diagnosed with cancer. She said that Sarah was in love with you and had been for some time, years in fact, and that she was fine with that because she knew that you hadn't done anything wrong, in fact she said that you probably weren't even aware of it. She said that Sarah would be good for you and you'd quickly learn to love her. Don't worry about Andrew and me, even though she's young enough to be our big sister, we'd love her to be our Step-Mother."

"Do you know about this too?" I asked Andrew.

"Yeah, I've known about it for months, and yes, I like her and would love her to be my Step-Mother, Julie likes her too."

"I'll think about it." I promised them.

"There's nothing to think about. Mum has talked to Sarah about it and has given her blessing. She told us that Sarah has agreed, and all that has to happen is that you ask her to marry you."

"Just wait until I see her again." I caught a funny look on Jessica's face, what was going on?

I wasn't left wondering long. As I opened the front door I saw Sarah get up from the sofa and walk towards me. She stopped in front of me, close in front of me, that close that we were touching, her arms went around my neck and she whispered to me, "I love you." She kissed me and I realised that she was my new Miranda.